• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

I'm a man who, if polled, would disapprove of Clinton. But I'm still voting for her in the general (assuming she's the nominee). I imagine that's the case with a lot of her disapproval in general. I'm not as worried about favorable numbers translating to republican votes as i am about turnout being depressed as a result. Especially if someone perceived as a "moderate" is nominated on the republican side and Clinton struggles to scare people to the polls to vote for her.

That Quinnipiac poll is junk if they included more Republicans than Democrats. When was the last time that was the case in a presidential election?

And 75% white. Ok

That Quinnipiac poll is junk if they included more Republicans than Democrats. When was the last time that was the case in a presidential election?

And 75% white. Ok

I eagerly look forward to the inevitable "democrats are unskewing polls now" article from someone. Jennifer Rubin perhaps.

I think Hillary is in trouble but is still the favorite.

ivysaur12

Banned
Man here, voted for Obama twice, and if I were to be polled right now regarding my opinion of Hillary I'd be one of those in the "unfavorable" camp. There are many things I don't like about her, but just as a contrast with Obama he never ran on "I'm black and I'll be making history bitches" whereas Hillary is all about Imma break that glass ceiling, feminism fuck yeah.

...she is?

I eagerly look forward to the inevitable "democrats are unskewing polls now" article from someone. Jennifer Rubin perhaps.

I don't like looking at Party ID for a poll, but those numbers for race are a bit suspect.

But that's why we have many polls!

Bowdz

And 75% white. Ok

And yet Clinton on loses to Bush by 1% and beats Walker by 1% with these flawed metrics. Somewhat good news as far as I'm concerned considering the last Quinnipiac poll from CO, VA, and IA had her down some 5% points each (albeit with the same flawed sample).

I have a gut feeling that once the GOP field starts to narrow and there is more media coverage for both sides, that Clinton's favorability numbers will increase slightly. That definitely won't be very high, but I don't think they will stay fully depressed throughout the general.

If the favorably ratings is done through Republicans, Independents, and Democrats then it shouldn't be surprising that it is low. If it is high among dem voters then that's what matters a lot in the end.

CLLe_7TUwAAuhnG.jpg:large

Its so transparent the anti-abortion movement is about punishing sex

"Noted liberal nazi Aaron Strife has been unskewing the polls in favor of Hillary Clinton"

The difference btw between questioning a poll and unskewing it is whether I draw the conclusion that Hillary is actually up 10 according to these polls. If a poll is junk it's junk.

I didn't realize the contraception = poison was an actual thing on the right

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-new...on-brewing-on-birth-control-usage-in-the-u.s/

"Ever since the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1965 ruling in Griswold v. Connecticut, which said laws making contraception illegal were unconstitutional, the use of birth control among Americans has become an epidemic: More than 90% of the adult population uses some form of birth control, a figure that includes most self-described Catholics."

Yeah, that harrowing epidemic of responsible fucking.

Rubenov

While I don't think there's anything wrong with her talking about making history with her presidency, and I don't think she's making it a center piece to her campaign like you seemed to suggest(?), who cares?

Nah she is. She may not talk about it all the time, but knowing her through the years this may be her most important priority. She's already been to multiple women empowerment conferences this year. Her comments after she lost to Obama in 2008 sounded like she lost to him because of that "ceiling", and not because people thought she was the wrong person for the job.

I only mentioned this as one of the aspects that made me have an unfavorable opinion of her. Others include she sucked as SoS (Kerry has done much more than her), her changing of accents and other touchless pandering depending on who she is speaking too, and the fact that she lacks true convictions asides from women issues and just goes with whatever is politically expedient.

dramatis

Nah she is. She may not talk about it all the time, but knowing her through the years this may be her most important priority. She's already been to multiple women empowerment conferences this year. Her comments after she lost to Obama in 2008 sounded like she lost to him because of that "ceiling", and not because people thought she was the wrong person for the job.

I only mentioned this as one of the aspects that made me have an unfavorable opinion of her. Others include she sucked as SoS (Kerry has done much more than her), her changing of accents and other touchless pandering depending on who she is speaking too, and the fact that she lacks true convictions asides from women issues and just goes with whatever is politically expedient.
Let's just say Hillary is actually making women's issues the center of campaign (which she isn't, but I'm humoring you).

So what's actually wrong with that?

Also, what's wrong with changing accents when you live in one place for many years...and then another place surrounded by people talking a different way for many years? Is this something to be looked unfavorably upon?

Let's just say Hillary is actually making women's issues the center of campaign (which she isn't, but I'm humoring you).

So what's actually wrong with that?

Also, what's wrong with changing accents when you live in one place for many years...and then another place surrounded by people talking a different way for many years? Is this something to be looked unfavorably upon?
Yeah this is anecdotal but my mom spent a lot of time growing up in both Minnesota and Arkansas and lived in Kentucky for a while during early adulthood. Whenever we go down south the accent comes back out in full force while she has a fairly standard Midwestern accent up here. While a politician is probably more conscious of these things it's totally something that happens.

Rubenov

Because to me, she seems more bent in making history / becoming the first woman President than actually governing. Also, I genrally mistrust those that focus in one segment or aspect. I prefer candidates who try to be as inclusive as possible.

And the way she changes accents is not by accident, it's a conscious effort to appeal to people. Seems disingenuous, also.

watershed

Banned
Because to me, she seems more bent in making history / becoming the first woman President than actually governing. Also, I genrally mistrust those that focus in one segment or aspect. I prefer candidates who try to be as inclusive as possible.

Do you honestly think Hillary isn't trying to be inclusive in her message? You seem to see her as the "woman candidate focusing on women's issues." Have you heard her speak on race in America? She said some very powerful things that were, in some ways, more stark than what Obama has said. She has also talked a lot about economic issues facing young Americans and more.

Rubenov

Do you honestly think Hillary isn't trying to be inclusive in her message? You seem to see her as the "woman candidate focusing on women's issues." Have you heard her speak on race in America? She said some very powerful things that were, in some ways, more stark than what Obama has said. She has also talked a lot about economic issues facing young Americans and more.

Of course, she wants to win after all. I can't trust her character or intentions though. Sorry.

NeoXChaos

And the way she changes accents is not by accident, it's a conscious effort to appeal to people. Seems disingenuous, also.

You don't have to trust her but winning is the ultimate goal. Despite what the polls say she still has the best chance to win the nomination and general. She still has majority support in the Democratic Primary. Republicans are going to be from now till election day in the 90% camp against her. Independents are either going to be left leaning or right leaning. Very few swing voters left but probably 3-5%.

As long as Obama is above or near 50% and her favoriblity is at 48% or above, she should be fine heading into election day. She is going to be spending most of her time destroying the favoribility ratings of her opponent anyway and viceversa so its not the end of the world if she is down right now or next year by a little. Turnout is the ultimate focus and polls are going to either overstate or understate the electorate.

Obama's team knew this.

At the end of the day Hillary is the candidate who is most likely to succeed and get some liberal justices appointed. She can be as ruthless and disingenuous as she likes, doesn't bother me one bit.

Never understood the importance some voters place on liking a candidate on a personal level.

NeoXChaos

At the end of the day Hillary is the candidate who is most likely to succeed and get some liberal justices appointed. She can be as ruthless and disingenuous as she likes.

Never understood the importance some voters place on liking a candidate on a personal level.

That got us George W Bush. "I like to have a beer with that guy".

watershed

Banned
Of course, she wants to win after all. I can't trust her character or intentions though. Sorry.

You don't have to trust her. I don't trust her either. But if you know how campaigns go then you know that candidates promise about 10 big agenda issues and only ever actually seek to accomplish maybe 5 of them and only succeed on about 2 or 3 in a real big way. Obama has been more successful than most modern presidents in terms of being a part of major successes relating to his campaign promises and a lot of that has been due to other factors. For Hillary, for example, we can pretty much dismiss her "tough on wall street" talk as nothing but campaign rhetoric.

Rubenov

At the end of the day Hillary is the candidate who is most likely to succeed and get some liberal justices appointed. She can be as ruthless and disingenuous as she likes, doesn't bother me one bit.

True, but see post below yours. appealing to people is important in poltics, always has been. I would imagine people that think like you do are a minority.

Bottom line: Hillary is ahead, as of now, but she has issues in the way she's perceived by a large sector of the population and that is reflected in the polls.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
True, but see post below yours. appealing to people is important in poltics, always has been. I would imagine people that think like you do are a minority.

Bottom line: Hillary is ahead, as of now, but she has issues in the way she's perceived by a large sector of the population and that is reflected in the polls.

Yes, but that isn't going to matter much in the general when Walker, Bush, or even Trump start talking about forcible rape or whatever the insane meme is going to be this time.

With all of these undercover leaks, it looks like Planned Parenthood and women's reproductive heath are fucked.

Eh...the funding is not going to be completely cut. Republicans won't win that govt shutdown bet...they've never won one.

I'm fine with an investigation happening, clearly some people need to be purged. The bad thing is that we know republicans will go overboard with the bullshit.

If the favorably ratings is done through Republicans, Independents, and Democrats then it shouldn't be surprising that it is low. If it is high among dem voters then that's what matters a lot in the end.

don't have the Quinnipiac crosstabs in front of me on account of I'm not a masochist, but the PPP poll with -10 net favorables has her at 77-17 with Dems

watershed

Banned
Hillary has come out in favor of a $12 an hour national minimum wage but not a $15 minimum wage because she says its more politically viable, etc, etc.

watershed

Banned
12 dollars by 2020 is so unbelievably meaningless.

Well the proposal she's "backing" is Patty Murray's and it starts at $12 with increases tied to the inflation index. It's not a bad idea, its just one that starts from a position of compromise which is sometimes a bit of a meh tactic.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Scott Walker will when he wins Iowa.

Just like Santorum did.

Oh, wait.

Iowa means nowhere near what it used to. Back in the day, Iowa basically told everyone else what to think. In the days of the internet and neverending TV coverage, we now have access to information about the candidates at any time. In fact, I don't think there's anything more overstated than the influence Iowa has on the eventual candidate.

watershed

Banned
It has to pass a Republican House so its a good start.

The issue with the house is that no compromise interests them. They are against raising the minimum wage flat out and many are against the existence of the minimum wage at all. I'm not down on Murray's proposal but I would rather Hillary be for $15 like virtually every democrat is, instead of compromising from the start.

NeoXChaos

The issue with the house is that no compromise interests them. They are against raising the minimum wage flat out and many are against the existence of the minimum wage at all. I'm not down on Murray's proposal but I would rather Hillary be for $15 like virtually every democrat is, instead of compromising from the start.

There should be atleast 30-50 Republicans willing to pass it with whatever number of Democrats are left come 2017. There are atleast 229 of them pre-2010 still serving that were not a part of the tea party wave willing to compromise.

The problem is Boehner or McCarthy will likely prevent it from reaching the floor. Immigration Reform is the same scenario. The bill from the Senate passed in Summer 2013 probably had the necessary number of R's siding with the D's to pass it but Boehner has refused to bring it up.

NeoXChaos

MSNBC has formally decided to cancel three programs -- "The Cycle," "Now with Alex Wagner" and "The Ed Show" -- as part of a larger effort to shift its daytime lineup away from opinion programming, network sources told the On Media blog on Thursday.

Alex Wagner and Ari Melber, a "Cycle" co-host and MSNBC's chief legal correspondent, will remain with the network. Ed Schultz, the host of "The Ed Show," will leave the network, as will "Cycle" co-hosts Abby Huntsman, Krystal Ball and Toure. MSNBC President Phil Griffin announced the news in a memo sent shortly after the initial version of this item was published.

The cancellations, which have been expected for some time, come as NBC News chief Andrew Lack moves to refashion the liberal cable channel as a straight-forward news and politics offering, at least in daytime. In September, MSNBC will add a 5 p.m. program hosted by "Meet The Press" moderator Chuck Todd, while Brian Williams, the former "Nightly News" anchor, will serve as the network's breaking news and special reports anchor.

End of an Era. Good news is Chuck Todd and Brian Williams are back for what they are worth.

FiggyCal

Banned
It just seemed to me like they are already negotiating from a weak position. The 15 dollar minimum wage has 63% support and it's what the protesters were asking for. Her statements sounds more like she'll pass any minimum wage increase (regardles of the number) and that she didn't want to actually say what specific figure she would prefer. I would think most republicans in congress don't want a federal minimum wage anyway or at least don't care to raise it-- so lowering your goals and undermining what people are asking for, for practical reasons doesn't seem like the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom