• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I swear he has was nowhere near this gaffe prone when he was governor of Florida.

Could just be the Twitter age highlighting it more, but I doubt being out of politics for almost a decade is helping.

I think it was the latter. Telling women to get married in order to survive welfare cuts is one of the most sexist things I've heard a modern politician say. But it's easy to walk that one back when all the attention it gets is an article in the local paper and journalists don't want to seem biased by bringing up a subject that has already been walked back.

I don't know which is smarter between W. and Jeb, but I would say that where W. leaned on his advisors for policy positions and statements, Jeb is a true nutty conservative whose favorite author is Charles Murray. It's probably easier to stick on script when most of what you know about policy comes from your learning the strict.

Jeb probably is the introverted book nerd to W.'s extraverted jock just like he says, but sometimes nerds can be dumber than jocks, especially so in social policy.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I am so mad Graham didn't make the cut, I've been practicing my southern belle for two weeks. I could literally pass for the buxom blonde daughter of a plantation owner, or Lindsey Graham because they both sound the same.

Will someone get me a nice iced tea? The indignity of it all has me flabbergasted.

Something something fainting couch.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I swear he has was nowhere near this gaffe prone when he was governor of Florida.

Could just be the Twitter age highlighting it more, but I doubt being out of politics for almost a decade is helping.

It also could be due to the fact that the Republican party is much, much stupider than it was 10 years ago.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Would Trump really run third party though? Sure, he's got the massive ego to do so. But he's already alienated Democrats, and thus the Republicans are the only one willing to tolerate him, and if he fucks things up by splitting the vote and getting another Democrat into office, he wouldn't have friends anywhere.

I am so mad Graham didn't make the cut, I've been practicing my southern belle for two weeks. I could literally pass for the buxom blonde daughter of a plantation owner, or Lindsey Graham because they both sound the same.

Will someone get me a nice iced tea? The indignity of it all has me flabbergasted.
Would you care for a mint julip you poor sweet thing? Oh lordy its hot today, *dabs brow with kerchief* i think i have me a case of the vapors

Would Trump really run third party though? Sure, he's got the massive ego to do so. But he's already alienated Democrats, and thus the Republicans are the only one willing to tolerate him, and if he fucks things up by splitting the vote and getting another Democrat into office, he wouldn't have friends anywhere.

If he gets pissed enough by the establishment GOP, he won't care. If anything, the fact that he effected a national election is good enough for him to stroke his ego.

HylianTom

Banned

If he cost the GOP 2016, he'd instantly become a hero to half of the country.
(well.. half of the country that pays attention to politics).
And it's the half of the country that dwells where he dwells - in the cities.
So that's a thing, I guess..?

Imagine the fresh hell that would erupt if he make things easier for Hillary - and then attended her inaugural. Holy hell, that'd be entertaining.

Would you care for a mint julip you poor sweet thing? Oh lordy its hot today, *dabs brow with kerchief* i think i have me a case of the vapors

I normally imagine these lines in Jon Stewart's voice, but because of your avatar, I'm reminded of the time where Tom Servo on MST3k came down with a severe case of Southern Belleness.
(the connection comes from the fact that Tom Servo does my favorite impersonation of Buckley. It kills me every. single. time.)

Bowdz

People are underestimating Trump. Once the purse holders realize it's him or the Dems win it, they'll back him. When they do, we'll see a very different scene. He'll have some big PR firms and all that stuff behind him, and everyone who wants to get in the spotlight will beg to be on his team. I don't see how he can't get the nomination unless the Republican party forces him out, and if they do then they basically create a third party, which they can't afford. He doesn't have to act presidential right now because he's just trying to swat some flies. Once he becomes the party's candidate, has the money behind him, and people looking into being part of his future staff, his game will change accordingly.

So they have to capitulate and hope he's going to play nice if they really back him, and I think they will. They're just hoping they won't have to, but after the debate it's going to be settled.

IF (and that is a big, highly improbable if) Trump wins the nomination, his announcement remarks are enough to lose him the hispanic vote by a massive margin, which in turn will help the Dems win the election. Although I still don't think Trump will win a single state and will flame out before Iowa, he is definitely more primed for the GOP nomination battle than the general election. If people though Romney hung himself in the general with his primary language, Trump will be a whole different level.

If he cost the GOP 2016, he'd instantly become a hero to half of the country.
(well.. half of the country that pays attention to politics).
And it's the half of the country that dwells where he dwells - in the cities.
So that's a thing, I guess..?

Imagine the fresh hell that would erupt if he make things easier for Hillary - and then attended her inaugural. Holy hell, that'd be entertaining.

I normally imagine these lines in Jon Stewart's voice, but because of your avatar, I'm reminded of the time where Tom Servo on MST3k came down with a severe case of Southern Belleness.
(the connection comes from the fact that Tom Servo does my favorite impersonation of Buckley. It kills me every. single. time.)
The only buckley impression i have ever been aware of was robin williams in aladdin. This is relevant to my interests

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If he gets pissed enough by the establishment GOP, he won't care. If anything, the fact that he effected a national election is good enough for him to stroke his ego.

His name on his buildings might come down sometime after he dies, but his name in the history books would never go away. Right there next to Peter Cooper on the list of third party spoilers, a name everyone remembers for disrupting the Tilden v Hayes campaign.

NeoXChaos

His name on his buildings might come down sometime after he dies, but his name in the history books would never go away. Right there next to Peter Cooper on the list of third party spoilers, a name everyone remembers for disrupting the Tilden v Hayes campaign.

with an 81.1% of the voting population voting to boot. Never getting that again anytime soon with how big we are now.

So I posted in the awful right-wing facebook pics thread after seeing the "lyin african" and "Jesus has Obamas lie clock as a ceiling fan" pictures. I had previously done a quick search on Politifact to see how republican candidates have been stacking up against Obama in the lying department. And then I did a full search. And then added up Mostly False, False and Pants on Fire.

Donald Trump 85%
Jeb Bush 32%
Scott Walker 49%
Mike Huckabe 50%
Ben Carson 100%
Ted Cruz 70%
Marco Rubio 39%
Rand Paul 35%
Chris Christie 31%
John Kasich 32%

For complete measure:
Barack Obama 26%

And as stated in that thread, Politifact isn't the be-all end-all of arbiter of truth, but certainly interesting to look at some documented instances.
And to be fair with Carson, he only has 3 things rated.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I posted in the awful right-wing facebook pics thread after seeing the "lyin african" and "Jesus has Obamas lie clock as a ceiling fan" pictures. I had previously done a quick search on Politifact to see how republican candidates have been stacking up against Obama in the lying department. And then I did a full search. And then added up Mostly False, False and Pants on Fire.

Donald Trump 85%
Jeb Bush 32%
Scott Walker 49%
Mike Huckabe 50%
Ben Carson 100%
Ted Cruz 70%
Marco Rubio 39%
Rand Paul 35%
Chris Christie 31%
John Kasich 32%

For complete measure:
Barack Obama 26%

And as stated in that thread, Politifact isn't the be-all end-all of arbiter of truth, but certainly interesting to look at some documented instances.

Dat Ben Carson number :lol

HylianTom

Banned
The only buckley impression i have ever been aware of was robin williams in aladdin. This is relevant to my interests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qND_l5mpQRU

The easiest clip I could find is in this whole episode video, around the 24:35 mark. Tom Servo is having a debate with Crow over whether a certain infamous character in one of their movies is a male or a female, and he starts his side of the debate with a brief impression of Buckley. Too bad Joel (serving as debate moderator) put the kibosh on the impression, threatening to deduct a point if Tom continued..

NeoXChaos

Trump probably runs third party if Bush is the nominee. He can't stand Jeb and he would attract supporters tired of the Clinton and Bush Dynasty,

ivysaur12

Banned
https://twitter.com/BrandonDePaolo/status/628788119538569217/photo/1

This is what Mount Rushmore looks like in Hell.

CLnndj3UEAAvd7l.png

Perfect.

Democrats picked up a Republican-held seat in the Pennsylvania House tonight

Given that it went 56-42 Obama in 2012, this isn't hugely surprising but a win is a win.

I hope they do well in the Virginia races this Fall.

Not that surprising given that Delaware County has been trending more and more Democratic for a while.

watershed

Banned
Even though everyone besides Bush and Trump are super close together in the polls, I'm surprised by Huckabee's position. I mean, who cares about Mike Huckabee at this point? When he ran in 2008 he tried to be the health conscious, nice conservative republican who spoke gently and didn't offend anyone. Since then he's become a Fox host and general conservative demagogue who has gained back almost all the weight he lost. Now, I'm not calling him fat but in 2008 his dramatic weight loss and health turnaround was basically the platform of his campaign and his defining hook. This time I feel like he's got nothing. Maybe it's just the Fox audience giving him name recognition.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Even though everyone besides Bush and Trump are super close together in the polls, I'm surprised by Huckabee's position. I mean, who cares about Mike Huckabee at this point? When he ran in 2008 he tried to be the health conscious, nice conservative republican who spoke gently and didn't offend anyone. Since then he's become a Fox host and general conservative demagogue who has gained back almost all the weight he lost. Now, I'm not calling him fat but in 2008 his dramatic weight loss and health turnaround was basically the platform of his campaign and his defining hook. This time I feel like he's got nothing. Maybe it's just the Fox audience giving him name recognition.

I think it's pretty easy to see why the religious right like him. All the republican candidates pander to the religious right but only Huckabee and Santorum seem to be actual members of the religious right themselves.

Huckabee might be the most moderate of the republican candidates economically, while being most conservative on social issues. I don't see anyone else playing that role.

Bowdz

Another great headline for Hilldawg:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...ecurity-of-clinton-emails-121020.html?hp=l2_4

Politico said:
The FBI is investigating the security of classified emails formerly stored on Hillary Clinton’s private server and now maintained on a thumb drive by Clinton’s personal attorney, David Kendall, officials said Tuesday night.

Kendall confirmed the inquiry, first reported by the Washington Post, but sought to portray it as the logical result of the recent decision by Intelligence Community Inspector General I. Charles McCullough III to report the matter to the FBI as a potential security breach.

“Quite predictably, after the IC IG made a referral to ensure that materials remain properly stored, the government is seeking assurance about the storage of those materials. We are actively cooperating,” Kendall said in a statement.

Clinton presidential campaign spokesman Nick Merrill stressed that Clinton never had any idea anything in her email might be classified until officials processing her emails for release under the Freedom of Information Act raised such concerns.

“She did not send nor receive any emails that were marked classified at the time,” Merrill said. “We want to ensure that appropriate procedures are followed as these emails are reviewed while not unduly delaying the release of her emails. We want that to happen as quickly and as transparently as possible.”

People are underestimating Trump. Once the purse holders realize it's him or the Dems win it, they'll back him. When they do, we'll see a very different scene. He'll have some big PR firms and all that stuff behind him, and everyone who wants to get in the spotlight will beg to be on his team. I don't see how he can't get the nomination unless the Republican party forces him out, and if they do then they basically create a third party, which they can't afford. He doesn't have to act presidential right now because he's just trying to swat some flies. Once he becomes the party's candidate, has the money behind him, and people looking into being part of his future staff, his game will change accordingly.

So they have to capitulate and hope he's going to play nice if they really back him, and I think they will. They're just hoping they won't have to, but after the debate it's going to be settled.

People need to realize the money doesn't just go to the conservative nominee, electability matters as these people are looking to use their donations to gain a seat at the winning table. Right now no one sees him as viable against Clinton, so she will get the bulk of the donations from wealthy donors even if they disagree with her politically. The same happened with Obama. He received large donations from Wall Street the first go but it mainly went to Romney in 2012 because they thought he had a chance whereas McCain didn't.

Even though everyone besides Bush and Trump are super close together in the polls, I'm surprised by Huckabee's position.

This isn't true at all, Walker ties and beats Bush in the polls pretty often, any poll where they are more than 2 or 3 apart isn't very common.

Walker will almost certainly get the nomination at the end as he's already strong and has the most room to grow. Candidates like Cruz, Carson, and Trump has constituencies that are far more likely to align with him than Bush, who only really has Rubio dropping out to give him a significant boost.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
People need to realize the money doesn't just go to the conservative nominee, electability matters as these people are looking to use their donations to gain a seat at the winning table. Right now no one sees him as viable against Clinton, so she will get the bulk of the donations from wealthy donors even if they disagree with her politically. The same happened with Obama. He received large donations from Wall Street the first go but it mainly went to Romney in 2012 because they thought he had a chance whereas McCain didn't.

This isn't true at all, Walker ties and beats Bush in the polls pretty often, any poll where they are more than 2 or 3 apart isn't very common.

Walker will almost certainly get the nomination at the end as he's already strong and has the most room to grow. Candidates like Cruz, Carson, and Trump has constituencies that are far more likely to align with him than Bush, who only really has Rubio dropping out to give him a significant boost.

He was a month ago, but now not so much. Slowly people are starting to understand who he is and his horrible record and he's dropping a bit.

Again, read those Fox News poll numbers. Look at what happens if Jeb is out of the race. Walker picks up almost none of those voters--most go to Trump. That's a horrible sign for Walker's chances.

Maledict

I have to laugh at Politico's article today on Biden's stance on the school buss issue during desegregation.

Last week we hear the rumours about him contemplating a run, and this week suddenly a story that paints him as a racist in a certain light appears on the front page of politico. It's hardly subtle...

Just quoting myself. Today's anti-Biden story comes from the New York Times, where anonymous 'friend' are worried a run will tarnish his legacy and ruin his reputation. Again, hardly subtle.

Presume it's Hilarys campaign behind this, but after 2012 who can tell - could be Sanders who doesn't want a rival for the 'not Hillary' ticket...

Just quoting myself. Today's anti-Biden story comes from the New York Times, where anonymous 'friend' are worried a run will tarnish his legacy and ruin his reputation. Again, hardly subtle.

Presume it's Hilarys campaign behind this, but after 2012 who can tell - could be Sanders who doesn't want a rival for the 'not Hillary' ticket...

The times has been absolute crap this cycle on campaign coverage. Did they hire a punch of politico writers or something. Its quite sad

He was a month ago, but now not so much. Slowly people are starting to understand who he is and his horrible record and he's dropping a bit.

Again, read those Fox News poll numbers. Look at what happens if Jeb is out of the race. Walker picks up almost none of those voters--most go to Trump. That's a horrible sign for Walker's chances.

Fox is the only organization with those results, hence me considering it an outlier. Moreover, their numbers are exactly the same as their polls for the two of them back in June. Of the four polls released tracking the same period of time, all the others have them within 3 points of one another, and the NBC poll tracking a period of just a week ago has him ahead. Obviously neither one has a chance unless Trump implodes, but do you really see Cruz/Carson voters crossing over to Bush? The other top tier candidates don't represent establishment support, and Walker is a favorite of the Tea Party coalition.

Fox is the only organization with those results, hence me considering it an outlier. Moreover, their numbers are exactly the same as their polls for the two of them back in June. Of the four polls released tracking the same period of time, all the others have them within 3 points of one another, and the NBC poll tracking a period of just a week ago has him ahead. Obviously neither one has a chance unless Trump implodes, but do you really see Cruz/Carson voters crossing over to Bush? The other top tier candidates don't represent establishment support, and Walker is a favorite of the Tea Party coalition.
They will and they have to. The Santorum supporters did find their way to Romney's camp in the end. The chances of Trump imploding are inevitable if you condisder past elections. He might fizzle out if he gets deflated on stage. But still im not sure if past trends can apply to trump.

Democrats picked up a Republican-held seat in the Pennsylvania House tonight

Given that it went 56-42 Obama in 2012, this isn't hugely surprising but a win is a win.

I hope they do well in the Virginia races this Fall.

I voted in this one. It's not surprising but not for the reason you stated. The district has a republican advantage, and this was a special election to replace a republican in the middle of the summer.

The GOP had two candidates, one a tea party write in splitting the party vote. Without that Krueger Braneky probably would have lost.

Good news though, an additional dem in the state house might help with the budget impasse.

Cheebo

Banned

RCP average of 5 most recent polls
Trump - 23
Bush - 13
Walker - 11

Everyone else is 6 or below. Walker is very much neck and neck with Bush nationally. And he is still in the lead in Iowa despite Trumps rise.

And there is no chance Bush drops out before the various super Tuesday's.

They will and they have to. The Santorum supporters did find their way to Romney's camp in the end. The chances of Trump imploding are inevitable if you condisder past elections. He might fizzle out if he gets deflated on stage. But still im not sure if past trends can apply to trump.

I don't mean not supporting him if he becomes inevitable. And this is a bad example, Santorum voters were casting protest votes in surprisingly large numbers up until he was finally forced to concede in early April.

Diablos

I really think Trump has a 50/50 shot at winning the nomination at this point. How he performs in debates will be crucial. I'm sure he knows exactly how he's going to act and what he's going to say.

I don't mean not supporting him if he becomes inevitable. And this is a bad example, Santorum voters were casting protest votes in surprisingly large numbers up until he was finally forced to concede in early April.

It's also worth noting that Romney was outspending Santorum 12 to 1 to squeak out single digit wins in places like Wisconsin and Michigan.

That won't be happening this time with Trump.

I really think Trump has a 50/50 shot at winning the nomination at this point. How he performs in debates will be crucial. I'm sure he knows exactly how he's going to act and what he's going to say.

i love you.

anyways cant wait for the debates tommorow. Kiddie table should be a nice warm up

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

This means almost nothing. How well did that work last election when the Tea Party was stronger?

RCP average of 5 most recent polls
Trump - 23
Bush - 13
Walker - 11

Everyone else is 6 or below. Walker is very much neck and neck with Bush nationally. And he is still in the lead in Iowa despite Trumps rise.

And there is no chance Bush drops out before the various super Tuesday's.

Again, Iowa means nowhere near as much as it used to before the days of constant media coverage and Internet. Also, Paul won the most delegates in Iowa's 2012 caucus and Santorum had the most votes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Who is going to tune in to watch Carly Fiorina rail on how Obama is the worst president in history? LOL

HylianTom

Banned
Who is going to tune in to watch Carly Fiorina rail on how Obama is the worst president in history? LOL
I am so ready. Tomorrow has been on my calendar for months. Getting out of work early, ordering take out for dinner, junk food stocked.. who knew an evening of Republican primary debates would be so anticipated? If you'd told me 20 years ago that we'd look at these events in this manner, I would've been flabbergasted. I hear there are watch parties - non-Republican watch parties - that will happen across the country. Incredible!

Meanwhile, I love this clip from Fox News' New Hampshire focus group:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2seEO-hQ9Jk

Trump more conservative than Jeb. Yep.

Cheebo

Banned
This means almost nothing. How well did that work last election when the Tea Party was stronger?

Again, Iowa means nowhere near as much as it used to before the days of constant media coverage and Internet. Also, Paul won the most delegates in Iowa's 2012 caucus and Santorum had the most votes.

My point is that Walker has not fallen in the last month as you stated. He has remained neck and neck with Bush nationally consistently nor has he fell out of first in Iowa.

Outside of Trump this remains a Bush vs. Walker race.

ivysaur12

Banned
So, according to HuffPo Pollster, Trump has been in the leads for about a month now. This is similar to other fringe candidates in 2012. If he doesn't go down after the next week or so, he's going to start to make the arguments of "well, he's just another Herman Cain!" a little hollow.

Cheebo

Banned
So, according to HuffPo Pollster, Trump has been in the leads for about a month now. This is similar to other fringe candidates in 2012. If he doesn't go down after the next week or so, he's going to start to make the arguments of "well, he's just another Herman Cain!" a little hollow.
He is still only at the halfway point in terms of how long Gingrich and Perry leadin 2012. At the very least we need to get through the post-debate polling period.

NeoXChaos

No matter what happens, Walker and Bush are staying till the last Primary or delegate that determines the nominee. I agree with Cheebo's consensus.

Plinko

Gingrich was only about two weeks, according to that graph on the previous page.

Cheebo said:
My point is that Walker has not fallen in the last month as you stated. He has remained neck and neck with Bush nationally consistently nor has he fell out of first in Iowa.

Outside of Trump this remains a Bush vs. Walker race.

RCP has him dropping in the last week.

HylianTom

Banned
Have any media outlets called Trump out on tamping-down expectations for this debate? The visual he provided of "I'm not preparing, I'm not much of a debater, I'm playing golf in Scotland" was pretty brilliant.

I've been stumped on the GOP primary for a while.. but if Trump gets past this first debate with his lead intact for a few weeks afterwards, I might start to actually believe in him. It kinda scares me, but at the same time, if I had to pick any one Republican from this field to beat Hillary in the general, it'd be the New Yorker with a loooong record of past liberal statements. My "joke vote" in the primaries for Trump would then become an odd sort of insurance policy.

It's very odd for a first debate to feel so consequential.

Biden is an establishment, blue collar democrat. If anyone is to benefit from him running is Sanders.

Anyway wtf with Politico. They have gone full National Review, is sad.

Anyone who stills believes Trump a "flavor of the month" pre-candidate like the 2011 GOPers is seriously misreading what the Trumpening is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom