• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
Does anyone get the sense that the moderators might have a bit of a hit job prepared for Trump? We know Roger Ailes likes Trump being in the race (supposedly at his instruction, Fox has given him a lot of positive coverage and air time in general) but I feel like the moderators, especially Wallace, might have a series of questions for Trump to throw him off or tee up other candidates to unload on him.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This is what I'm expecting. Trump is going in with comebacks and that's it. I wouldn't be shocked if he prepared a few zingers instead of actually prepping.

What else does he need to prepare for? He can just say whatever sounds right and continue to rely on his voters not caring that all the fact checkers will be calling him a lier on Friday.

Does anyone get the sense that the moderators might have a bit of a hit job prepared for Trump? We know Roger Ailes likes Trump being in the race (supposedly at his instruction, Fox has given him a lot of positive coverage and air time in general) but I feel like the moderators, especially Wallace, might have a series of questions for Trump to throw him off or tee up other candidates to unload on him.

My concern is that it's going be everyone in building vs. Trump and even he can't handle that.

HylianTom

Banned
My concern is that it's going be everyone in building vs. Trump and even he can't handle that.

If it's a pile-on or some sort of moderator ambush against Trump, I'll be dancing in my living room. He'd get to point out that these Washington insider "losers" are ganging-up on him - an argument that many GOP primary voters are quite open to.

If he loses support as a result of such an ambush, there's always the chance that he'll be convinced that the party "treated him unfairly" during this process.. which resurrects his threat to run independently.

As far as I'm concerned, the worst possible outcome tomorrow night is that he comes off looking lackluster through no fault but his own. It's the boring, unhelpful outcome.

Konka

Banned
I like this article on Trumps crazy immigration policy.

http://theweek.com/articles/569970/donald-trumps-immigration-policy-insane-but-least

Donald Trump is many things, but a deep thinker with a nuanced grasp of the complexities of public policy is not one of them. Yet he stands firmly at the front of the GOP presidential pack largely because of one issue: immigration. And before you dismiss his thoughts on the subject as the rantings of a simple-minded xenophobe, understand that more than any other candidate, he's offering Republican primary voters some actual concrete ideas for how to address this challenge.

That isn't to say that those ideas aren't insane and impractical, because they most certainly are. Trump wants to build a wall over all 1,933 miles of the U.S. border with Mexico, which would of course be the most luxurious, super-classy border wall this side of Monte Carlo (is there enough cubic zirconia in the world?). He also wants to round up and deport the 11 million unauthorized immigrants currently residing in the United States.

Say what you will about that, it's an idea. And that's what Republican voters seem to be responding to. Trump offers something emphatic and understandable, where the other candidates hem and haw and hedge.

More at the link. It's true, he is at least providing concrete concepts for voters instead of vague ideas of how to solve issue, as insane as they may be.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So a Texas court said that Texas' voter ID law was unconstitutional. Someone clarify this for me. I thought our benevolent Supreme Court decided that such things are perfectly fine?

I read that Bernie Sanders is going to speak at Liberty University of all places.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...5c2bdc6e4b0f1cbf1e3bd63?kvcommref=mostpopular

"Liberty University was kind enough to invite me to address a convocation and I decided to accept,” Sanders said in a statement on Wednesday night. “It goes without saying that my views on many issues -- women’s rights, gay rights, education and many other issues -- are very different from the opinions of some in the Liberty University community. I think it is important, however, to see if we can reach consensus regarding the grotesque level of income and wealth inequality in our country, about the collapse of the middle class, about the high level of childhood poverty, about climate change and other issues."

I guess he will make a religious argument for some policies? I think that would be pretty smart, but I don't know how this would pan out. I don't see him doing well with this.

I read that Bernie Sanders is going to speak at Liberty University of all places.

He's a brave man.

Then again, he's a jew out there telling people that they should help the poor and help the sick and that collecting massive amounts of wealth is not the goal.

If any of them have been paying attention, they should recognize that kind of talk.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm sitting in a McDonald's sobering up before I drive home and there's these old white people arguing about if Donald Trump is gonna be their guy or not. They're talking about people creating their own facts in the same breath as praising Trump for telling the truth. This is the highest comedy I've ever seen, I wish I could tape this and put it in the OP of the debate thread.

Do you know what it feels like when you realize that you've been eating your mcfish sandwich slower because a little richard song started playing over the speakers thats much higher quality than what you could rip off of youtube
What is my life

I'm sitting in a McDonald's sobering up before I drive home and there's these old white people arguing about if Donald Trump is gonna be their guy or not. They're talking about people creating their own facts in the same breath as praising Trump for telling the truth. This is the highest comedy I've ever seen, I wish I could tape this and put it in the OP of the debate thread.

And now I will never look at you with the same fondness I once did.

Why break my heart, B-dubs? We were so tight...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And now I will never look at you with the same fondness I once did.

Why break my heart, B-dubs? We were so tight...

Man, I was like four or five beers in and McDonald's is all that's open that time of night. I'd have gone to Shake Shack if it was still open, but they close at 11. I had no choice. Them greasy burgers were calling my name.

LvnoQQv.jpg

Man, I was like four or five beers in and McDonald's is all that's open that time of night. I'd have gone to Shake Shack if it was still open, but they close at 11. I had no choice. Them greasy burgers were calling my name.

If you're under 25, I'll let this transgression pass.

At least we have Jack in the Box's awfully greasy tacos. Of course, we also have taco trucks and other things open till 2am!

(true story, haven't had a McD burger in maybe a decade).

Just to put the Florida redistricting case in perspective, assuming these are finalized there are now 217 Obama 2012 districts in the country.

Virginia redistricting will probably add another one to that tally.

We neeeeeed those coattails in 2016.

NeoXChaos

Just to put the Florida redistricting case in perspective, assuming these are finalized there are now 217 Obama 2012 districts in the country.

Virginia redistricting will probably add another one to that tally.

We neeeeeed those coattails in 2016.

How many more maps need to be thrown out in order for the Democrats to gain enought to dent into the House majority?

FL & VA are being redrawn. OH is on the ballot I think. What about MI, PA & NC?

How many more maps need to be thrown out in order for the Democrats to gain enought to dent into the House majority?

FL & VA are being redrawn. OH is on the ballot I think. What about MI, PA & NC?
Here's a good starting point.

Ohio and Michigan are the big prizes. Democrats could also stand to push for something tougher in Florida.

Stephen Wolf also mentions Utah, Arkansas, Nebraska, and Missouri as targets although the effect would be far more minimal. Create a safe Salt Lake City-based district in Utah, a possible swing district in Arkansas, shore up Ashford in Nebraska and prevent one of our two Missouri seats from being eliminated in the next round of redistricting.

Pennsylvania we'll have to hold out hope that Wolf wins a second term, forcing a compromise map. Not really anything that can be done in North Carolina - the governor can't veto redistricting maps, and sure enough the GOP gerrymandered the state into oblivion after 2010.

And of course, all of this wouldn't pan out until the 2022 elections. Just in time to give Hillary a trifecta.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chuck Todd had a sad today (or was it yesterday?). He's very depressed someone like Donald Trump is tainting the honor of the Republican Party.

And you guys actually liked this goober back in 2008? Sheesh...

If you're under 25, I'll let this transgression pass.

At least we have Jack in the Box's awfully greasy tacos. Of course, we also have taco trucks and other things open till 2am!

(true story, haven't had a McD burger in maybe a decade).

We're all good people here. If B-Dubs had to go to McDonalds, I believe him when he says he had no choice. I'm pretty sure we've all been there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Chuck Todd had a sad today (or was it yesterday?). He's very depressed someone like Donald Trump is tainting the honor of the Republican.

And you guys actually liked this goober back in 2008? Sheesh...

I feel his pain. Republicans had one of the strongest lineups of all time and Trump had to come and ruin it.

Numerous = strength lol
Reagan in 76 and 80 is the strongest republican line up, almost unseated a sitting pres for his own party's nomination. Dude was a force of nature. Meanwhile we've got pillsbury doughboy cruz, el "women's health is overfunded, replace health care with iwatches" jebe and captain combover aka donald trump

Another poll poiting towards a statistical tie between Clinton and Sanders in NH.

in Iowa Clinton is still leading by 20+ but fastly dropping. If she wins Iowa and loses NH it wouldnt be as catastrophic as 2008 when her results were backwards.

Another poll poiting towards a statistical tie between Clinton and Sanders in NH.

in Iowa Clinton is still leading by 20+ but fastly dropping. If she wins Iowa and loses NH it wouldnt be as catastrophic as 2008 when her results were backwards.

43-39 in not a statistical tie.

Within the margin of error is NOT a statistical tie.

The above poll translates to "Clinton has over an 80% chance of winning the Primary if it was held today," which is NOT a statistical tie.

And it's Gravis. And it has Warren as an option, which is stupid.

43-39 in not a statistical tie.

Within the margin of error is NOT a statistical tie.

The above poll translates to "Clinton has over an 80% chance of winning the Primary if it was held today," which is NOT a statistical tie.

And it's Gravis. And it has Warren as an option, which is stupid.

Thats the wording another poll, showing a +8 points advantage for Clinton, used. So thats why I used it too.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...finds-sanders-in-statistical-tie-with-clinton

The WMUR-CNN survey released Thursday finds Clinton takes 43 percent support in the Granite State, compared to 35 percent for Sanders.

Because the poll has a 5.2-percentage-point margin of error, the results mean Clinton and Sanders are in a statistical tie, according to the University of New Hampshire Survey Center, which conducted the poll.
It also noted that Clinton's edge on her closest opponent has narrowed significantly since the same poll was conducted in May, when Clinton held a commanding 31-point lead over Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who insists she’s not running for president.

I would like to presume Elizabeth supporters are more Bernie leaning than Clinton leaning, too.

Thats the wording another poll, showing a +8 points advantage for Clinton, used. So thats why I used it too.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...finds-sanders-in-statistical-tie-with-clinton

The media not understanding how math works doesn't make them right. They're wrong. In fact, they're really fucking wrong there.

In that poll, she has a 95% chance of winning. By definition, her losing, would be an outlier.

What you have to understand is that 43-39 could also be 48-34.

The media does this all the time because they want people to pay attention. Leading by 8 with 5% MoE does not mean a tie. That's not how the statistics work. You have to find the probability of being ahead when you are +X ahead according to a poll.

I don't blame you. People here did the same thing in 2012. The media is to blame for intentionally misleading people.

I would like to presume Elizabeth supporters are more Bernie leaning than Clinton leaning, too.

The whole poll makes no sense. According to the poll, Hillary is only ahead because she's winning the GOP vote in the Dem primary. Okay...

Why are they polling so many Republicans for the Dem Primary, anyway? And Biden's voters go to Hillary. I actually think a lot of Warren's does too, but maybe less so in NH.

The other poll you posted makes more sense.

FTR, NH is Bernie's best chance at winning a state. But I just get annoyed by the media portrayal of every fucking poll as a "statistical tie" when it isn't. 4% is actually a substantial lead even if you believe it to be that small.

edit: That Gravis poll is so wonky. It clearly only asked 6 total Democrats about the GOP primary but they definitely asked a significant number of GOPers about the Dem primary. Why would they do that???

edit x 2: holy shit! According to that Gravis poll, members of the tea party in NH approve Obama by a 95-2 margin. Non-tea partiers disapprove 92-7. Yet, somehow, Obama's approval is 41-51 and total Tea Partiers are 11% of the respondents.

Math does not compute at all.

watershed

Banned
Slight prediction time: I think the republican primary will come down to Bush and Walker with the most delegates and fighting for the nomination until just before the convention with 2 nothing candidates like Jindal or Huckabee staying in for no reason. Big conservative cash is going to go to Walker but Bush and GOP establishment heavies will push Bush through (along with his huge war chest).

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...67-election-model-predicts-nail-biter-in-2016

The model from Moody's, a group that analyzes economic trends, has a perfect track record, accurately predicting every presidential election since 1980; it nailed the number of electoral votes in President Obama's 2012 victory.

The economics-based election model — which relies on presidential election results since the 1980 Ronald Reagan-Jimmy Carter contest — aims to predict voting decisions based on each state’s economic and political situation.

Moody’s will update its prediction each month in the run-up to November 2016.

Is this correct?

I think Donald trump will be willing to stick around foe awhile during the primaries. It is possible he can do well in the primaries, but he would need to put a lot of money in it. He already has a lot of supporter from voters, if he actually takes the campaign more seriously he could have a decent chance. The establishment seems to accept Bush, but republican voters don't at all or just barely. I wonder if Republicans is going to stay at home.

Probably, but it changes from month to month. It doesn't mean too much this far out.
A Democrat will win the White House next year by the narrowest of margins, according to a well-known election forecaster.

Moody’s Analytics is predicting that the Democratic presidential nominee will capture 270 electoral votes in 2016, edging out the Republican nominee’s total of 268.
I've whipped up that 270-268 map several times now. Kerry+NM+NV+VA and Hillary (Bernie? lol) is in.

Fanficcing some stuff, but... Is there any reason to believe that Hillary would fare well against Trump in a debate?

Yes, i understand that right now she'd curbstomp the shite outta him, with good reason. Wondering mostly how hard it would be for him to make her commit a huge gaffe.

Diablos

That Moody's report reaffirms that Hillary is not invincible.

It can change month to month but I'm surprised they have it as a nail biter, even this far out. Hillary should have at least 300 EV's.

The GOP is making a lot of noise, some of it sticks and a lot doesn't -- Hillary isn't doing much of anything.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm still sticking to my "somewhere around 300" guess for now. The theory of third term fatigue is hard for me to get past, and Hillary is a so-so candidate. Obama won almost all of the swing states, so I'm guessing she'll drop two or three (in addition to the one or two he lost in 2012).

There was a clip yesterday of Chuck Todd asking Trump about the black lives matter campaign and whether police brutality was a crisis and Trump said yes it's a crisis (at least he admitted it) but that it's a double crisis because we also need cops since "crime is rampant" and he's a "big person" who is into preventing crime. It was just a mess of a response that was factually inaccurate and dumb overall. Just further proves Trump's understanding of the issues is on par with a teenager who thinks he knows more than he does. Total chump.

thefro

Fanficcing some stuff, but... Is there any reason to believe that Hillary would fare well against Trump in a debate?

Yes, i understand that right now she'd curbstomp the shite outta him, with good reason. Wondering mostly how hard it would be for him to make her commit a huge gaffe.

A general election debate against Hillary (who was a very good debater in 2008) is a totally different environment than a Fox News-hosted Republican primary debate. Trump's current tactics would backfire.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TIPS to donald trump tonight so he can own the debate:

1. Keep referencing everyone going to the koch parade
2. Whenever someone insults him, just say "they are all ganging up on me since I am leading in the polls because I am a winner"
3. Everyone here is a politician or a failed politician and I am a godlike businessman
4. Say "I was the first one to say that" after anyone says anything

A general election debate against Hillary (who was a very good debater in 2008) is a totally different environment than a Fox News-hosted Republican primary debate. Trump's current tactics would backfire.

The logic i'm going with is, assuming that he remains impervious to gaffes (heck, thrives on them), that Trump can do his schtick without fear of losing votes, thus being focused on trying to make Hill Hate spike to entirely new heights. Dude wouldn't play for votes, but for making the average voter think that both candidates are terrible and it's better to stay at home.

HylianTom

Banned

2. Whenever someone insults him, just say "they are all ganging up on me since I am leading in the polls because I am a winner"
3. Everyone here is a politician or a failed politician and I am a godlike businessman

Just from reading Breitbart, FreeRepublic, RedState, etc.. I wouldn't be shocked if he hammers away on #2 & #3. There are a lot of folks who seem to think that 2008 and especially 2012 were eminently winnable elections that "The Establishment" blew. So his charge of them being insider/loser/prototypical-politicians seems to have some potency.

===

And an idea for a book that the tinfoil hat crowd might like:

I've always wondered how easy it would be for a wealthy political outsider to study a party base's thought patterns, speech habits, policy preferences (learning these by researching online forums, reading books from that end of the spectrum, etc).. and then jump into a race, using this knowledge to pander like crazy to the primary electorate. It could be a really fun story.

And an idea for a book that the tinfoil hat crowd might like:

I've always wondered how easy it would be for a wealthy political outsider to study a party base's thought patterns, speech habits, policy preferences (learning these by researching online forums, reading books from that end of the spectrum, etc).. and then jump into a race, using this knowledge to pander like crazy to the primary electorate. It could be a really fun story.

Why would anyone bother to do that when they can just hire Frank Luntz? That's literally his job.

There was a clip yesterday of Chuck Todd asking Trump about the black lives matter campaign and whether police brutality was a crisis and Trump said yes it's a crisis (at least he admitted it) but that it's a double crisis because we also need cops since "crime is rampant" and he's a "big person" who is into preventing crime. It was just a mess of a response that was factually inaccurate and dumb overall. Just further proves Trump's understanding of the issues is on par with a teenager who thinks he knows more than he does. Total chump.

trump21n-1-web.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The sad part is his debate strategy probably does consist of those--and only those--tips.

Trump is more likely to commit a campaign killing gaffe on himself than anything else. Not just one, but multiple. The only reason he stands a chance tonight is that the general electorate has no say in the winner of this debate, only republicans do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom