• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt see any new idea from huckabee but then again my stream lagged a lot. I did see him say the military is not a social experiment for women and transgenders, and spent two minutes saying that health care doesnt work when asked how he would fix healthcare without making any cuts or increasing the retirement age like he said he would, to distract from the fact that he probably had no idea how to do it and was talking out of his ass.

He was but he did say his flat tax would pay for SS/Medicare without requiring cuts, specifically by targeting black markets.

He's very wrong, but he actually got some detail in at some point, which gets him a point. Maybe he just didn't look like a lunatic so he gets by as a result, lol.

watershed

Banned
In order to win, Kasich would have to take over Jeb Bush's role as the responsible conservative with moderate appeal. But in order for that to happen, Jeb would have to lose support from "establishment republicans" and big money donors. That seems highly unlikely.

Dodgy polls but it looks like both Walker and Bush bombed. Fox News in freak out mode.

Not surprising, the were both sub par

I'm still shocked that Fox was trying their hardest to take Trump out at the knees, but then didn't hit him with that absolutely ridiculous God question

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Dodgy polls but it looks like both Walker and Bush bombed. Fox News in freak out mode.

In the Fox News post-debate analysis it's kinda amazing how little they talk about bush. A couple of pundits briefly mentioned him as "most presidential" but that was about it. He's worse than Clinton in how all he seems going for him is the aura of inevitability. But that was basically all Romney had to go on and he won the primary.

Trump doing Trump things:

trump%20megan%20fox.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think the biggest impact on the actual horserace tonight was the fading of Walker. Guy was just invisible. He didn't have Huckabee's silver tongue, Cruz's indignant conviction, Kasich's earnestness, or Trump's bombast. The point of debates is to be somebody that people will want to talk about afterwards, so candidates have to be interesting.

Rubio might can get himself back into the top tier in the polls. Maybe Kasich stood out, but he has no focus on his answers, he just improvises generic feel good garbage. Carson and Huckabee looked good for the target audience, but they have no shot at the nomination so it doesn't matter. Rand Paul looked desperate tonight with his tart and shrill tone, always trying to interject into the conversation.

I thought the biggest loser out of tonight's debate was Cruz, actually. He gave off this aura of both bitterness and helplessness at the fact that Trump stole his position as biggest Republican asshole. Every time he tried to attack Obama or Hillary he came off looking/sounding really desperate for attention, knowing that no one seemed to care.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still think Walker's numbers will rise. He answered nothing and said nothing stupid while getting good responses from the audience.

If Carson's numbers rise, the entire GOP is insane. None of his answers made any sense at all. He was clearly out of his element.

I was stunned at how bad Jeb was. He is too moderate for this group and said nothing to stand out.

If the same momentum and debate performances continue, Rubio is going to be the nominee and that could be trouble for Clinton.

Crisco

Banned
What was with all the dismissive Hillary bashing, as if she wasn't even going to win the Democratic nomination. Given the fact they'll all be huge underdogs in the general, a little reverence wouldn't hurt. It really seemed like a group of guy angling for book deals.

So was the Roger Ailes plan to pump up Trump and ride the ratings, then kill him in the debate? And it has backfired? Or is something else going on?

I can't wait for the insider reports after the general.

Oblivion

I'll give Yeb and Randall credit. They both didn't backtrack when the issue of immigration and foreign aid to Israel came up. I was positive Jeb was gonna come out and say he supports shooting illegals out of a canon back to Mexico and Rand was going to say he converted to Judaism cause he loved Israel so much.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So was the Roger Ailes plan to pump up Trump and ride the ratings, then kill him in the debate? And it has backfired? Or is something else going on?

I can't wait for the insider reports after the general.

They never pumped him up.

The shocking moment of the night was clearly the crowd response to Kasich's answer to the gay marriage question.

Oblivion

215k jerbs created in July.

UE rate unchanged at 5.3%

May and June's numbers revised up by 14k.

215k jerbs created in July.

UE rate unchanged at 5.3%

May and June's numbers revised up by 14k.
I remember NPR looking at ADP numbers released yesterday and saying the economy slowed down etc. ADP said only 180k jerbs were filled. Idiots everywhere.

Also Oblivion you havent answered my question about Sippy Cupp.

I thought Walker did fine. The point of early debates is to not fuck up and look appealing to the audience. When Trump fades I'd expect Walker to be one of th candidates who benefits.

The loser has to be Cruz as I and others said. Trump suffocated him to the point he wasn't able to make much noise.

Plinko

I thought Walker did fine. The point of early debates is to not fuck up and look appealing to the audience. When Trump fades I'd expect Walker to be one of th candidates who benefits.

The loser has to be Cruz as I and others said. Trump suffocated him to the point he wasn't able to make much noise.

Agree with you on Walker's performance, but disagree about Trump's voters. Polling shows they go to Jeb.

I dont know who the winner is but Rand was definitely the loser. He came across as childish and combative against Trump and Christie. Dude needs to chill. Best line last night was by Trump to Rand: "You're having a hard time"

The thing though is that mostly everyone made out ok. They were all able to get their precanned speeches in, especially Marco with his speech about Resumes. You could see he rehearsed it. But we knew that was going to happen. We were just there to see how Trump fared and there is seriously no muzzlig him. Next few weeks will be interesting.

Yeah, I think that Kasich would be the biggest threat in the general. So I hope he doesn't go far because of it. I actually think Carson did pretty well. A lot of people had no clue who he was before this, but now they're paying attention, and he didn't seem that crazy. Rand Paul, I think, didn't do well. The rest were pretty predictable, but I didn't think the moderators would go for Trump that hard. I do think it's hilarious that conservatives are giving Fox shit for it now.

Cheebo

Banned
Did Kasich ever actually say that he was in favor of gay marriage, or just that he went to one?

He is on the "I disagreed with it but the SC ruled so its time to move on and accept it" side of the crowd.

And yes Kasich would do great. He is VERY popular in Ohio.

Look at his margin of victory from 2010 to 2014:

2010:
John Kasich - 49.04%
Ted Strickland - 47.04%

2014:
John Kasich - 63.85%
Ed FitzGerald - 32.85%

Which makes no sense considering their immigration stances.

A lot of Trump supporters are low information voters who likely (at least before last night) had no idea who any of the candidates outside of Trump and Jeb were.

FiggyCal

Banned
I think Kasich definitely was the winner, for someone that just squeezed in the last spot on stage and still got one of the longest speaking times.

I think Carson did fine; I didn't really see him damaging himself at all in his responses. He's always been full of empty statements and always just out of his element when it came to politics. I still think he's the most likeable candidate.

Scott Walker did fine. He got the easiest questions; more so than Rubio even. His first question asked him "how are you so pro-life?" That was in the first round, where supposedly they were grilling the candidates. As if he was going to be taken aback by how disgusting his positions are and as if the crowd was going to boo his conservative stances.

Ted Cruz definitely did the worst. He was starving for attention. He embarrassingly interrupted Megyn to get more screen time before the commercial break.

Edit: I mentioned Kasich, because it seems like people were pumping him up to be this awesome guy and the one good republican on the stage when all he said was "I believe in traditional marriage, but I have gay friends".

pigeon

Banned
I dont know who the winner is but Rand was definitely the loser. He came across as childish and combative against Trump and Christie. Dude needs to chill. Best line last night was by Trump to Rand: "You're having a hard time"

The thing though is that mostly everyone made out ok. They were all able to get their precanned speeches in, especially Marco with his speech about Resumes. You could see he rehearsed it. But we knew that was going to happen. We were just there to see how Trump fared and there is seriously no muzzlig him. Next few weeks will be interesting.

I thought that resume line was a seriously bad idea, honestly. Rubio is the only candidate who spent time in the GOP debate to observe that Hillary Clinton is better qualified to be president than anybody in the room.

But from the perspective of Rubio trying to beat a bunch of governors, I guess I could see where he thought it was worthwhile.

Plinko

Which makes no sense considering their immigration stances.

It kind of makes sense to me. I think Trump is drawing a lot of moderate GOP votes. If Trump leaves, Jeb, a pretty moderate republican in comparison, gets the votes.

FiggyCal said:
Edit: I mentioned Kasich, because it seems like people were pumping him up to be this awesome guy and the one good republican on the stage when all he said was "I believe in traditional marriage, but I have gay friends".

I disagree. It's the first time I've heard any of the candidates talk about respecting them even though they disagree with their stance. It sounded really good compared to the other rhetoric we've heard. You could tell how nervous he was when he admitted he went to a gay wedding.

Huckabee To Obama: Show Me The Bible That Changed Your Views On Same-Sex Marriage

Republican presidential candidate and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) told "Fox and Friends" Friday morning that he wants to see the bible that changed President Barack Obama's views on same-sex marriage.
Obama was opposed to same-sex marriage when he ran for President in 2008.

"Barack Obama in 2008 claimed that he believed it because, he said as a Christian, it's a biblical issue and God is in the mix. Now, if he's changed his mind and it was a biblical view, one of three things happened. He was lying then, lying now, or the bible got rewritten somewhere between 2008 and when he changed his mind in 2012," Huckabee said on the morning program.

"And he's the only one that's got the new version. So, rather than attack people who hold to the biblical view and to the historic view of 6,000 years of human history, I think the bigger question to say to the President is 'can you show us that new bible that you have because we haven't seen that one yet?'" Huckabee said.

6,000 years of human history.

Crisco

Banned
I don't think Obama's views on same-sex marriage are hard to understand. He always thought they should be granted the same rights as heterosexual couples, but just have it called something other than "marriage" since he felt that specifically applied to a civil union between a man and a woman. That's a totally reasonable position, but ultimately he realized that withholding the title of "marriage" was discriminatory in and of itself, especially from the viewpoint of a homosexual couple who felt their relationship was no different from any other. Hell, many homosexuals with religious upbringings probably felt the same way at some point. It's neither disingenuous nor implausible for his feelings on that issue to have "evolved" in exactly the way he said they did.

It kind of makes sense to me. I think Trump is drawing a lot of moderate GOP votes. If Trump leaves, Jeb, a pretty moderate republican in comparison, gets the votes.

I think he's drawing numbers from the xenophobic anti establishment. We shall see though. If he falls I'm definitely curious where those votes go.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have no idea why people think Kasich has any shot. He's polling like Christieville. He has no money. He has no name recognition and won't get it amongst primary voters. His only chance is to displace Bush as the "moderate" candidate which isn't going to happen and I think he'd have to displace Rubio as well.

Cheebo

Banned
I have no idea why people think Kasich has any shot. He's polling like Christieville. He has no money. He has no name recognition and won't get it amongst primary voters. His only chance is to displace Bush as the "moderate" candidate which isn't going to happen and I think he'd have to displace Rubio as well.

It seems that most are saying he'd have a good chance in the general, not that he has a chance in the primary.

Plinko

Gravis is reporting that polling showed Carson of all people was the "winner" of the debate last night.

As someone who kind of respects him, I have absolutely no idea how that conclusion was made. He answered absolutely nothing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gravis is reporting that polling showed Carson of all people was the "winner" of the debate last night.

As someone who kind of respects him, I have absolutely no idea how that conclusion was made. He answered absolutely nothing.

There were only two answers last night, and I think they were both given in the exchange between Christie and Huckabee. The rest was foofoo crap.

It seems that most are saying he'd have a good chance in the general, not that he has a chance in the primary.

OK, sure, but I think generally any candidate in the general is formidable. Even Huckabee would have the full party behind him even if he sucks garbage.

Yeah last night had nothing to do with substance.

There were only two answers last night, and I think they were both given in the exchange between Christie and Huckabee. The rest was foofoo crap.

OK, sure, but I think generally any candidate in the general is formidable. Even Huckabee would have the full party behind him even if he sucks garbage.

I think Kasich gave a couple legit answers in response to the lame attack on his St. Peter and the poor comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom