• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

The vitriol reminds me of Hillary supporters from 2008. Although at least for her, it was kind of stolen from her then. Bernie has and never had a shot

KingK

I don't think they're saying he's a racist, but that he's just ignoring their issues. Pretty sure the only reason they aren't pulling this shit on Clinton is that she has actual campaign security and Sanders doesn't.
I mean, he's been advocating for BLM's goals as much as any of the other candidates, even more after the netroots thing. And his actual policies and record are better for the movement than anybody running. The whole thing just seems so bizarre. I mean, if it were just about keeping pressure up to make sure a candidate actually follows through once in office, it still wouldn't make sense to focus on Sanders since he's not going to be the nominee.

The security thing makes sense, if protesters are trying to get to all of the candidates and Bernie is just the one with the least security. It's just unfortunate because there are some pretty significant grievances that can and should be levied at Clinton (and O'Malley) on this topic. Instead she comes out smelling like roses and Sanders is painted as unsympathetic to issues facing black people.

I mean, he's been advocating for BLM's goals as much as any of the other candidates, even more after the netroots thing. And his actual policies and record are better for the movement than anybody running. The whole thing just seems so bizarre. I mean, if it were just about keeping pressure up to make sure a candidate actually follows through once in office, it still wouldn't make sense to focus on Sanders since he's not going to be the nominee.

The security thing makes sense, if protesters are trying to get to all of the candidates and Bernie is just the one with the least security. It's just unfortunate because there are some pretty significant grievances that can and should be levied at Clinton (and O'Malley) on this topic. Instead she comes out smelling like roses and Sanders is painted as unsympathetic to issues facing black people.
I don't get it either. Only thing I can think of is that Bernie talks about economic injustice and the huge income divide a lot. I think BLM folks would like him to address the social injustice first, even though it's on his resume. It's really hard to understand the dynamic.

NeoXChaos

CL7uwJkUAAAzS6l.jpg

15,0000 in Seattle.

FiggyCal

Banned
I'm convinced Breitbart is parody. It seems like the majority of commenters support Trump and massively downvote the dissenters. Even the articles themselves usually have a more positive spin of his antics. One commenter said that Erick Erickson was a RINO. Literally the first I've ever heard someone call him that of all people.

GOP establishment?

Oh good one as well. Some of them also use eGOP.

Re: Sanders: I feel for the Bernie supporters on here but you need more than policy positions to win a presidential election, thus I'm supporting Hillary. She is no Obama but she is a hell lot more charismatic than Bernie. Bernie is best in the Senate.

Fucking Bernie Sanders threads. I told myself I'd stop posting in them, and then I did, and so I'm rewarded with this idiocy.

SMH.

FYI, gutter_trash tries his damnedest to derail every Canadian poligaf/election thread into rants about how Quebecois separatists are the Great Satan and has weird views about a lot of policy (most recently displayed with his bizarre posts in the Canadian election thread about PR "propping up regionalism" when, at minimum, that would've been marginalized through at least the Martin cabinet), so I'd avoid engaging with him as RustyNails said

I'm convinced Breitbart is parody. It seems like the majority of commenters support Trump and massively downvote the dissenters. Even the articles themselves usually have a more positive spin of his antics. One commenter said that Erick Erickson was a RINO. Literally the first I've ever heard someone call him that of all people.

Nah, Breitbart encouraged harassment campaigns GamerGate was doing against women. They're for real. They may only say what they say for money, but they're aren't doing it as a parody.

Trey

The problem is that journalists, political operatives, and talking heads are treating Trump's campaign like every other campaign, when it very clearly isn't. Normally when a high level adviser leaves a campaign in this manner it does mean it's "seriously damaged from within." The problem is Trump isn't running a normal campaign. They can't just take the events surrounding his campaign and fit them into the same stories they'd write about every other campaign, and no one has realized that yet. It's why FOX tried to end him the way they did, normally that would sink someone but for all we know they just made him even more powerful.

In the future people will study this campaign, just like they did Reagan's use of TV, and future journalists, political operatives, and talking heads will be better prepared to deal with something like this. Right now everyone is dealing with something they don't entirely understand and they just aren't adapting fast enough.

I think, and god help us, that the only person who really understands what is going on right now is Trump himself. No one else has a clue.

I love how dramatic this post reads.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This establishment vs. Trump thing is amazing to watch. Even people at Redstate were saying they were upset because the establishment wants to pick the candidate for them and voters are just expected to fall in line. They're going to drive him toward a third-party run.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
A couple of days old, but still worth posting.

WaPo: As campaign heats up, Republican candidates are rushing to the right

According to the stats in this piece, 65% of Republicans support abortion in cases of rape. Seventy-five percent of the general population supports it.

Hillary is going to crucify these fuckers in the general election over this stuff.

Oh, and the video of Rubio in this story is fucking amazing:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/marco-rubio-abortion-rape-incest

Are they not aware that video exists? How the hell are they going to move back to the middle come the general?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Are they not aware that video exists? How the hell are they going to move back to the middle come the general?

Wasn't the collective post election conclusion on the right that Romney wasn't conservative enough?

No need to move to the "middle" post primary if that is the case. Just take the country back!

Every election a republican loses, it's because the candidate wasn't Conservative enough.

Which... holds water if you think Obama is somehow more conservative than Mitt Romney. And also holds water if you actually believe the country is becoming more Conservative.

Remember, Conservatism cannot fail you, you can only fail Conservatism.

And yes, they are so eager to kill PP when 53% of the electorate in 2012 were women. Republicans already have a huge women problem, and they just keep making it worse. Somehow they still think the key to the white house is appeasing old white men.

Rubio isn't sold on scientists regarding climate, but is sold on "science" saying life begins at conception (which I'm guessing like 2% of scientists in that field would agree with).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rubio isn't sold on scientists regarding climate, but is sold on "science" saying life begins at conception (which I'm guessing like 2% of scientists in that field would agree with).

This is incredibly wrong. The moment a sperm meets the egg, life begins. Scientists are united on that. The question in this case is more, "When do scientists say HUMAN life begins?"

As I've said before, when Pat Robertson of all people is saying they need to stop saying crazy things, they probably need to stop saying crazy things.

Plinko

YES! YES! YES!

Again, he's solidifying a base so big that his numbers will be large enough for him to run as third-party. It's going to be amazing.

Also, LOL at that Carson/Fiorina number. Those numbers will plummet soon.

The one bad thing I see here: Cruz is insane, and he's going to get Carson's and Fiorina's numbers when they collapse. I can definitely see Rubio's going to Trump.

LOL at the lack of Jeb! and Walker.

This is incredibly wrong. The moment a sperm meets the egg, life begins. Scientists are united on that. The question in this case is more, "When do scientists say HUMAN life begins?"

Yeah, true.

The one bad thing I see here: Cruz is insane, and he's going to get Carson's and Fiorina's numbers when they collapse.

Cruz is terrible, but he's an incredible public speaker so you would expect him to get a boost after debates.

Teggy

Ted Cruz jumped up 10 percentage points and Bush and Walker are now less than 8%? I'd like to see how this survey was taken.

Dennis

Banned
Ted Cruz jumped up 10 percentage points and Bush and Walker are now less than 8%? I'd like to see how this survey was taken.

Did you see Jeb fumble his way through the debate?

In a way this is heartening news. If even 8% had intention of voting for Jeb I would despair.

How is he still the frontrunner after those comments?

Because Trump has tapped into a demographic nobody was really paying attention to until now: the pure, mindless rage demographic. The people who are just so angry at "the system," that they stop giving a fuck about anything else. These people don't really care who gets hurt in the process, they just want to tear down the existing dynamics, often for very stupid reasons. It's why he's picking up nominal support from both sides of the aisle, in the "if I can't get Sanders I might just vote Trump" sort of way. His policy positions (such as they are) don't matter nearly as much as his blind, unthinking responses. He's angry (or he acts that way), and that's where his support is coming from.

That's why Trump keeps on picking up points despite claiming that all Mexican immigrants are criminals sent here by their government, it's why him making snide remarks about Megyn Kelly's period didn't hurt him: his base doesn't give a fuck. This is the end game of the Republican fear & outrage machine, and it's glorious to watch.

Teggy

This is incredibly wrong. The moment a sperm meets the egg, life begins. Scientists are united on that. The question in this case is more, "When do scientists say HUMAN life begins.

Ugh, I had this exact conversation with someone on facebook the other day. They were under the impression that if they could get me to say an embryo is technically "human" it was some great victory for them. As if using semantics to label something "human" means anything.

Teggy

Did you see Jeb fumble his way through the debate?

In a way this is heartening news. If even 8% had intention of voting for Jeb I would despair.

I could see him dropping, but Ted Cruz and the guy who had maybe 5 minutes of speaking time are suddenly making people change their minds? It just seems a bit off.

Plinko

Ugh, I had this exact conversation with someone on facebook the other day. They were under the impression that if they could get me to say an embryo is technically "human" it was some great victory for them. As if using semantics to label something "human" means anything.

Your personal feelings on the matter still don't negate the fact that what I said is scientifically correct.
Poodlestrike said:
Because Trump has tapped into a demographic nobody was really paying attention to until now: the pure, mindless rage demographic. The people who are just so angry at "the system," that they stop giving a fuck about anything else. These people don't really care who gets hurt in the process, they just want to tear down the existing dynamics, often for very stupid reasons. It's why he's picking up nominal support from both sides of the aisle, in the "if I can't get Sanders I might just vote Trump" sort of way. His policy positions (such as they are) don't matter nearly as much as his blind, unthinking responses. He's angry (or he acts that way), and that's where his support is coming from.

That's why Trump keeps on picking up points despite claiming that all Mexican immigrants are criminals sent here by their government, it's why him making snide remarks about Megyn Kelly's period didn't hurt him: his base doesn't give a fuck. This is the end game of the Republican fear & outrage machine, and it's glorious to watch.

Exactly. Look at that list. Trump, Carson, and Fiorina combine for 42% of their voters. 42%! None of those three are establishment politicians.

The republicans WANT someone who isn't a politician to run the country.

RDreamer

I think it's human life. Don't fucking matter to me, though. I don't think it's a person nor do I think it warrants personhood status and full constitutional protection under the law. That opens a hilarious fuckton of weird things we have to do. Women miscarry a lot. Should we open up investigations into all of those to decide if there should be criminal charges?

And that's all ignoring the fuckery it would do to the bodily autonomy of women and what happens in instances of rape.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

If I wasn't sure that Hilary would win I'd be despairing for the world right now. Any of these people would make the world a worse place as President, Trump, Cruz, and Carson especially.

And I haven't seen the full debate, but I thought Kasich did well? How is he not there?

RDreamer

If I wasn't sure that Hilary would win I'd be despairing for the world right now. Any of these people would make the world a worse place as President, Trump, Cruz, and Carson especially.

And I haven't seen the full debate, but I thought Kasich did well? How is he not there?

He did "well" by not sounding completely fucking crazy.

He didn't do "well" because Republicans like completely crazy.

Plinko

Because he said things that would appeal to independents and democrats, not republicans.

Teggy

Your personal feelings on the matter still don't negate the fact that what I said is scientifically correct.

What I'm saying is that even if science says that it is "human", that is immaterial to the argument. It says nothing to that "human's" stage of development or ability to live on its own. It's not like because a scientist has labeled it "human", some magical constitutional footnote kicks in that overrules the Supreme Court.

As I said to this guy, a maggot is also technically a "fly". Are they the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom