• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

@Larry Sabato

1. If it's Bush v. Clinton, there's a good chance some rich celebrity (not necessarily Trump) will run as the new Perot. Back to the future.

2. If we take Trump's backers at their word today, Rs may have a hard time holding them in Nov.'16. Especially true if Bush is R nominee.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
He did "well" by not sounding completely fucking crazy.

He didn't do "well" because Republicans like completely crazy.

Kind of feels like Tea Party supporters are somehow overrepresented in the polling given how high the Tea Party-esque candidates are across all surveys so far though.

I wonder if that's because your average Tea Party supporter is more happy to answer a political survey so they can vent than the average person/Republican?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What I'm saying is that even if science says that it is "human", that is immaterial to the argument. It says nothing to that "human's" stage of development or ability to live on its own. It's not like because a scientist has labeled it "human", some magical constitutional footnote kicks in that overrules the Supreme Court.

As I said to this guy, a maggot is also technically a "fly". Are they the same thing?

I have no idea about this. I always thought maggots were baby flies.

cartoon_solider said:
Yea. Where are Bush/Walker? What part of standings are they actually talking about?

Jeb was awful in the debate and seemed very moderate. Walker said almost nothing and was as bland as usual. Not a surprise their numbers would drop when Carly was yelling at everyone and Carson was spouting nonsense about equating our tax system to Biblical tithe.

gcubed

Kind of feels like Tea Party supporters are somehow overrepresented in the polling given how high the Tea Party-esque candidates are across all surveys so far though.

I wonder if that's because your average Tea Party supporter is more happy to answer a political survey so they can vent than the average person/Republican?

They are more happy to view in the primary as well.

And I repeat, Kasich is this year's Huntsman. There is no room for moderation in the GOP

Teggy

Precisely - you can call them a "fly", but they have no wings or eyes or legs. They are something very different. Just like a "human" embryo is something very different than a fully developed "human". Calling it a "human" is simply semantics.

Kusagari

Jeb was awful in the debate and seemed very moderate. Walker said almost nothing and was as bland as usual. Not a surprise their numbers would drop when Carly was yelling at everyone and Carson was spouting nonsense about equating our tax system to Biblical tithe.

The top 3 are all pure Tea Party candidates and most of Rubio/Carly's support probably comes from them as well.

It's like no other sect of the party was polled.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Precisely - you can call them a "fly", but they have no wings or eyes or legs. They are something very different. Just like a "human" embryo is something very different than a fully developed "human". Calling it a "human" is simply semantics.

So it's still a baby fly? I guess I don't get what you're saying. Besides, it's way off topic here.

gcubed said:
And I repeat, Kasich is this year's Huntsman. There is no room for moderation in the GOP

Been saying this for months.

CL-WDeQWEAATfTS.jpg
Bwahahaha!

Trump is still king!

The next two are unelectable theocrats.

Carly will melt under further scrutiny.

Rubio did ok the other day but it is just a matter of fact time before he says something idiotic.

Jeb & Walker voted off the island for being dull & Derp.

Even then. It's not like only Tea Party right wingers vote in primaries.

zargle

If I wasn't sure that Hilary would win I'd be despairing for the world right now. Any of these people would make the world a worse place as President, Trump, Cruz, and Carson especially.

And I haven't seen the full debate, but I thought Kasich did well? How is he not there?

I caught that segment this morning, Kasich was at 2% on one of the won debate or lost debate polls. So basically a few people remembered he existed, that was about the gist of it.

Teggy

So it's still a baby fly? I guess I don't get what you're saying. Besides, it's way off topic here.

Sure you call it a baby "fly". The point is this - you can say that a sperm fertilizing an egg creates a "human", but labeling it as "human" does nothing. It gains no additional rights not to be aborted, and Rubio's statement about "science" is meaningless. That's where the discussion started, continued by you agreeing with him.

EDIT: and now I see it was not you who were initially agreeing with him so never mind that lol. I then have no idea what you were trying to get at regarding my "personal feelings".

This is incredibly wrong. The moment a sperm meets the egg, life begins. Scientists are united on that. The question in this case is more, "When do scientists say HUMAN life begins?"
This is wrong. In the human body, life does not ever 'begin'. It continues. A live sperm cell meets a live egg cell and that living cell continues living. It may (if lucky ) attach to a uterine wall and grow.

Abortion is not a science question. The science is fully understood. Abortion is a legal question. When does a new fetus get full human rights? I'm fine with the line drawn at birth.

ICKE

Banned
Ted Crruz. Trump and Carson have a total of 47% of the vote at this point? Is this real life?

Pack it up. Like I said in the other thread :

"We have new reports from the front Madam. According to latest information the right wing universe is exploding at the speed of light. Conservatives are turning against Fox News and Trump is making new gains in these latest polls, even Erick Erickson is now a RINO according to many hard liners"

"Also, another Bernie Sanders rally has been shut down by protesters. We have African American activists screaming "WHITE RACISTS!" while Sanders is trying to desperately contain the situation in the background "

04-12-12-421.jpg

All according to keikaku

What poll is that? Also, Survey Monkey?

Survey Monkey is a silicon valley based Internet polling group. The ceo was in the news for dyinga few months back. He was the husband of that big female Facebook executive that wrote that 'Lean In' book. I don't know how good their methodology is but they do make an effort to get a decent randomized sample.

Teggy

Survey Monkey is a silicon valley based Internet polling group. The ceo was in the news for dyinga few months back. He was the husband of that big female Facebook executive that wrote that 'Lean In' book. I don't know how good their methodology is but they do make an effort to get a decent randomized sample.

Survey Monkey used to be that thing you would use when you wanted to poll your officemates on where to have the holiday party. I guess they have expanded.

Survey Monkey is one of those late-90s tech startups that probably wishes they could have a do-over on picking their name.

That said, we use their paid services at work to conduct informal polls. It's good stuff.

I had no idea they did any sort of real polling, though.

NeoXChaos

If these polls persist, I really will start to believe in the possibility that there will be 4 different winners for the first 4 contest.

Even if the surveymonkey poll is bunk (which I doubt), there have been slew of other polls after the debate and all of them show a clear trend. Trump is in the lead.

Plinko

This is wrong. In the human body, life does not ever 'begin'. It continues. A live sperm cell meets a live egg cell and that living cell continues living. It may (if lucky ) attach to a uterine wall and grow.

Abortion is not a science question. The science is fully understood. Abortion is a legal question. When does a new fetus get full human rights? I'm fine with the line drawn at birth.

Not according to scientific definition, at least in general. When a sperm and egg meet, a new cell is instantly created. That isn't life "continuing," that's a new cell being created, thus a new beginning.

I'm not carrying on an abortion debate. I'm just stating what I've seen scientists define.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Carly Fiorina is now on record opposing a mandatory paid leave for new mothers.

I, for one, am shocked that a former CEO would feel that way.

Mike M

Nick N
Not according to scientific definition, at least in general. When a sperm and egg meet, a new cell is instantly created. That isn't life "continuing," that's a new cell being created, thus a new beginning.

I'm not carrying on an abortion debate. I'm just stating what I've seen scientists define.
No, he's correct. A fertilized egg has a new set of DNA relative its progenitors, but it's no more alive than the sperm and egg cells for it. It's the creation of a new organism, but it's not life from nonlife.

Plinko

No, he's correct. A fertilized egg has a new set of DNA relative its progenitors, but it's no more alive than the sperm and egg cells for it. It's the creation of a new organism, but it's not life from nonlife.

But that's the whole cause of the issue. That's where the issue comes in. I've never heard anyone argue that a sperm isn't alive. However, I've seen numerous scientists define that new created organism as new life. That's why there is the giant discrepancy in beliefs here. Everybody ends up arguing semantics one way or another, which is why the debates never go anywhere. I find these arguments to be some of the most pointless arguments to have because everybody argues over semantics and nobody changes their mind.

Gotchaye

But that's the whole cause of the issue. That's where the issue comes in. I've seen numerous scientists define that new created organism as new life. That's why there is the giant discrepancy in beliefs here. Everybody ends up arguing semantics one way or another, which is why the debates never go anywhere.

Right, and I do think this is a major tactical error on the part of pro-choicers. It's a problem when at least two Republican candidates (I think Huckabee in the early debate and I forget who in the later debate) can say that science is on their side and be more-or-less correct. The "a fetus isn't a human life" position sets itself up for really easy dismissal with uncontroversial facts - "it's got a complete and novel set of DNA". It's really a very unusual use of "life", or at least it's excluding a big part of what we usually take as going along with "life". I think what pro-choicers should be after is to get people to actually reflect on what it is about fetuses that makes them so valuable, and they're not helping themselves by using slogans that make it easy to see them as crazy people.

Roger Stone: I wasn't fired, I quit

The choice quote here that gives me endless hope:

“He is losing his grip on reality,” Stone said. “He has these yes-men around him. And now he’s living in a parallel world."

Hopefully his sense of pride and all of these sycophants combined with how blatantly the GOP establishment is attacking him spurs Trump to continue the fight beyond a failed nomination into a third party candidacy.
OMG at the trump politico article.

http://politi.co/1gmWL1S

This is amazing

I'm not surprised Stone was working for Trump. He's probably damaged goods for a mainstream Republican candidate because of his sex scandal. He's a swinger/cuckold. I have a friend who banged his wife while Roger watched/joed.

Yeah, I think we mostly all in agreement. Yes, that cell has a brand new combination of DNA that is different from father & mother. A new random combination of their DNA.

But the 'life'...the continous metabolizing chemical reaction just continues for the sperm &egg life. There is no abiogenesis.

Plinko

Yeah, I think we mostly all in agreement. Yes, that cell has a brand new combination of DNA that is different from father & mother. A new random combination of their DNA.

But the 'life'...the continous metabolizing chemical reaction just continues for the sperm &egg life. There is no abiogenesis.

I spoke this morning with a microbiologist who works for Eli Lilly and agreed with me *shrug*

None including proper political poll methodology though? Online polls and panels is what we have seen.
An online poll can be good with enough work done to make sure it is a random sample.

But the reality is that we will never have as accurate polls as we did in the 70's when everyone had landline phones without call screening.

Now with cell phones, VOIP, call screening, etc. It is hard to get good polls. It the UK they totally got that election wrong.

It is what it is.

Konka

Banned
Are we really talking about abortion in TWENTY FIFTEEN?!

940px-Abortion_Laws.svg.png

Considering it is still illegal over large swaths of the world, we should be talking about it. As an aside, I really don't like the trend of naming the year we're in as some sign that it should be the future and past issues should just fade away. There is a long way to go, especially on abortion.

HylianTom

Banned
This has always my thing about the abortion debate:
the anti-abortion folks tend to claim preferance for a pretty plain, non-living interpretation of the Constitution's words. So when I see the phrase "all persons born or naturalized" and then look at a fertilized egg, I don't see how that fits a legal definition of either a "born" or "naturalized" person. It doesn't have any sort of formal legal status. It doesn't have a social security number. There is no legal birth certificate declaring it "born." In other words, it'd take a bit of a stretch in order to twist the document to apply to this entity - a stretch that's not quite consistent with their typical claims of plain-reading the Constitution.

Farmboy

Online poll is online, but...

Don't know what Todd means when he says it's 'scientific'. But it is in line with the consensus that Carson and Fiorina had good nights, Walker and Jeb had poor showings and Trumps gonna Trump as his voters don't seem to care either way.

Speaking of, I'm actually wondering if the Trump crowd would care even if he'd come out as pro choice, pro gay marriage and pro universal health care (as he has in the past). This seems to be about 1) his style, 2) him sticking it to the establishment and 3) a single issue (immigration). Nothing else seems to matter.

That said, we'll have to wait and see if the Kelly comments have any impact. Judging by the recent past, they won't. But Kelly is far more popular than McCain, and besides, the pattern is starting to look like thin-skinned pettiness.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That said, we'll have to wait and see if the Kelly comments have any impact. Judging by the recent past, they won't. But Kelly is far more popular than McCain, and besides, the pattern is starting to look like thin-skinned pettiness.

I don't think the Kelly thing will move the needle as it can be explained away as Trump defending himself from an ambush.

greatgeek

Banned
the anti-abortion folks tend to claim preferance for a pretty plain, non-living interpretation of the Constitution's words. So when I see the phrase "all persons born or naturalized" and then look at a fertilized egg, I don't see how that fits a legal definition of either a "born" or "naturalized" person. It doesn't have any sort of formal legal status. It doesn't have a social security number. There is no legal birth certificate declaring it "born." In other words, it'd take a bit of a stretch in order to twist the document to apply to this entity - a stretch that's not quite consistent with their typical claims of plain-reading the Constitution.
The phrase "all persons born or naturalized" in the 14th Amendment speaks only to what persons are entitled to U.S. citizenship; it does not explicitly define personhood.

Looks like I was wrong about Cruz. I thought he simply didn't have enough time to get his message across due to Trump but it looks like people responded positively to what he was able to say.

HylianTom

Banned
The phrase "all persons born or naturalized" in the 14th Amendment speaks only to what persons are entitled to U.S. citizenship; it does not explicitly or implicitly define personhood.

This is where I struggle with the issue, as it's the closest thing we have in the document regarding who's entitled to rights.

RDreamer

If we apply personhood to a fertilized egg does that bestow citizenship on anyone conceived here in the U.S.? How does one then prove they were conceived here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom