• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

I watched that Rand Paul ad. At one point he talks about boldly going forward under the banner of liberty "clutching the Constitution in one hand and the Bill of Rights in the other".

Rand . . . the Bill of Rights are part of the constitution.

These political folk just really don't seem to know what they are talking about. This is your job, people. I can see you making that mistake for that one speech. But putting that clip of the mistake into a commercial?

NeoXChaos

These Bernie threads...

We could always have a dedicated bernie thread but what is the point when we have PoliGaf?. I guess if we tone down some of our "bernie has no chance", "you want a Republican in the White House?" sentiment more could join in the discussion. The long time people would like it and the new too. Just don't expect to come in here and spout anything or vitriol attacks without backing it up with facts and analytical data. Ex: "Hillary is a corporate snake who will be no different than any Republican"

Konka

Banned
We could always have a dedicated bernie thread but what is the point when we have PoliGaf?. I guess if we tone down some of our "bernie has no chance", "you want a Republican in the White House?" sentiment more could join in the discussion. The long time people would like it and the new too. Just don't expect to come in here and spout anything or vitriol attacks without backing it up with facts and analytical data. Ex: "Hillary is a corporate snake who will be no different than any Republican"

The problem is that there is no discussion to be had in nearly every single one of them, just "Go Bernie!" "Hillary is a neocon!" etc, rinse and repeat.

jtb

Banned
I posted this in the CNN poll thread but I figure I might as well ask here as well: What's happening with Jeb? Why is his polling so bad? Normally I'd assume it's just because of the super saturated field; the sane-ish candidates are all splitting the pie and Donald is sucking up all the oxygen... but I guess I expected a little more from $100m in superpac money. Just waiting for the dust to settle before he turns on the tap, or is the surge just not coming?

(also hi and fuck maureen dowd)

Konka

Banned
I posted this in the CNN poll thread but I figure I might as well ask here as well: What's happening with Jeb? Why is his polling so bad? Normally I'd assume it's just because of the super saturated field; the sane-ish candidates are all splitting the pie and Donald is sucking up all the oxygen... but I guess I expected a little more from $100m in superpac money. Just waiting for the dust to settle before he turns on the tap, or is the surge just not coming?

He's a terrible campaigner, can't stop saying stupid things and is the exact opposite of what the base wants, also his name is Bush.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I saw that Pawlenty thing on Lawrence O'Donnell's show yesterday, and wow the dude's come a long way. I remember a few years ago when he was interviewed by Rachel Maddow and was on his absolute best behavior. But now he's a full on fire breathing tea bagger. Funny how he used to be the alternative moderate to Romney.

In other news, Carson's come out with the Planned Parenthood wants to commit genocide against Black people thing. If that's the case, doesn't that make Obama the shittiest Black supremacist in history?

I think Romney was also performing just as bad as him at this point in the primaries? The moderate ones are always tarred and feathered this early on.

In other news, Carson's come out with the Planned Parenthood wants to commit genocide against Black people thing. If that's the case, doesn't that make Obama the shittiest Black supremacist in history?
Not to mention, with wealth inequality at near record levels, the shittiest communist in history.
Well, there were a LOT of shitty ones but you get what i mean

watershed

Banned
wow trump is more perceptive of the schumer opposition to the iran deal than most of poligaf

Trump is possibly right in his inside baseball talk on Schumer but it's not particularly perceptive. Multiple stories proposed the same narrative the day Schumer came out against the Iran deal. It's almost a fact at this point just because of how often it has been repeated.

Unrelated, Rand is gonna lose in his fight vs Trump but it's the best gamble available to him right now and he is already fading from contention so it's a smart move on his part. Get himself attached to Trump while fighting for the soul of the republican party.

I watched that Rand Paul ad. At one point he talks about boldly going forward under the banner of liberty "clutching the Constitution in one hand and the Bill of Rights in the other".

Rand . . . the Bill of Rights are part of the constitution.

These political folk just really don't seem to know what they are talking about. This is your job, people. I can see you making that mistake for that one speech. But putting that clip of the mistake into a commercial?

Silly speculawyer. Clearly, Rand is going to take the pages of the Constitution with the Bill of Rights in one hand, and the remaining pages in the other!

Chichikov

THAT
AlmynIL.gif

METAPHORE
AlmynIL.gif

DOESN'T
AlmynIL.gif

QUITE
AlmynIL.gif

WORK

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Also, your sorta feel goodish story of the day.

I have a co-worker that seems to be a pretty hardcore right-winger. More libertarian than Republican, I think, but still, very far to the right economically. He and another co-worker complain on a daily basis about some inane thing they see on a conservative media outlet or whatever. But guess what? After hearing about Seattle's $15/hr. minimum wage, he seems to be all for it and thinks it'd be a great idea if it were enacted throughout the country. And mind you, he actually makes quite a bit more than that already.

People really shouldn't underestimate the appeal of raising the min. wage.

Chichikov

Also, your sorta feel goodish story of the day.

I have a co-worker that seems to be a pretty hardcore right-winger. More libertarian than Republican, I think, but still, very far to the right economically. He and another co-worker complain on a daily basis about some inane thing they see on a conservative media outlet or whatever. But guess what? After hearing about Seattle's $15/hr. minimum wage, he seems to be all for it and thinks it'd be a great idea if it were enacted throughout the country. And mind you, he actually makes quite a bit more than that already.

People really shouldn't underestimate the appeal of raising the min. wage.
Raising the minimum wage is a very popular policy, pretty solid over 70% support for quite a few years now.
I want to say it was always popular, but I couldn't find any historical data.

Though to be fair, I didn't search very hard, in like my 5th google result I got a Forbes article titled "People Support Raising The Minimum Wage Until Told The Costs". I was ready to get angry but then said to myself -
"you know what? fuck it, I'm not gonna read it. In fact, not gonna search for historical data either. Fuck that, I don't need that right now".

I feel like I'm growing as a person.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Raising the minimum wage is a very popular policy, pretty solid over 70% support for quite a few years now.
I want to say it was always popular, but I couldn't find any historical data.

Though to be fair, I didn't search very hard, in like my 5th google result I got a Forbes article titled "People Support Raising The Minimum Wage Until Told The Costs". I was ready to get angry but then said to myself -
"you know what? fuck it, I'm not gonna read it. In fact, not gonna search for historical data either. Fuck that, I don't need that right now".

I feel like I'm growing as a person.
One day you will reach your final form and outgrow us as well. Please do say goodbye first ;_;

Yahoo is a bunch of trolls.

WSJ is presumably a bunch of well to do people exposing some of the most despicable opinions I've ever seen. The whole editorial section is disgusting. So much dog whistle politics. It's almost unfathomable how much dog whistling they do.

Trump is possibly right in his inside baseball talk on Schumer but it's not particularly perceptive. Multiple stories proposed the same narrative the day Schumer came out against the Iran deal. It's almost a fact at this point just because of how often it has been repeated.

Unrelated, Rand is gonna lose in his fight vs Trump but it's the best gamble available to him right now and he is already fading from contention so it's a smart move on his part. Get himself attached to Trump while fighting for the soul of the republican party.

I was more hitting poligaf and a lot of the left for the OMG traitor/ Israel shill commentary. Like that stupid Daily Kos cartoon
Hi.
Hillary is a neocon!

Did you know she supported goldwater? while bernie was marching with MLK?

Cheebo

Banned
Fiscal conservatism at work: Scott Walker approves $250 million in public financing for basketball arena http://t.co/Nt6QjBLPFW

To be fair he didn't really have a choice. The NBA required Wisconsin to build a new state of the art stadium or they would have pulled the team out of the state since the NBA deemed their current stadium not up to their quality standards, the ownership's contract with the NBA required building a new stadium in the state or they lose the team and they would be moved elsewhere. And losing a NBA franchise would cost a lot more than 250 million in the long run for Wisconsin.

Walker is a piece of shit idiot, but his hands were pretty much tied here. The NBA had all the leverage.

To be fair he didn't really have a choice. The NBA required Wisconsin to build a new stadium or they would have pulled the team out of the state, their contract with the NBA required building a new stadium or they lose the team. And losing a NBA franchise would cost a lot more than 250 million in the long run.

Walker is a piece of shit idiot, but his hands were pretty much tied here. The NBA had all the leverage.

Christie pulled out of an actually needed tunnel because he's a real fiscal conservative.

and I think its really pushing it to say the Bucks are worth anything....

Cheebo

Banned
Christie pulled out of an actually needed tunnel because he's a real fiscal conservative.

and I think its really pushing it to say the Bucks are worth anything....

NBA teams, even not very good ones can still bring in a lot of money. And the Bucks aren't looking too bad for the next season. A decent mid-tier Eastern playoff team potentially.

The NBA forced their hand on this.The expectation was that they would have likely been moved to Vegas is Wisconsin didn't pony up the cash for the new stadium.

Diablos

Random thought: In this age of "swipe left or right to fuck or not", what are we really fighting for politically, particularly from the social angle?

Reading through the Tinder thread, it's increasingly clear that many of us millennials may never find someone and settle down, essentially making it more about ourselves and not how we see the world through meaningful relationships with other people. However, that is really important when it comes to championing social policy because as we know from previous socially liberal eras in the US, you have to make it about something bigger than yourself for it to translate into a cohesive message that will resonate with a large enough voting bloc to enact such social progress as actual law.

Is anyone thinking about the long term consequences of this? It's not just about Tinder, either, but the fact that generally speaking we younger folks are a lot more hesitant when it comes to wanting to commit to serious relationships.

What they were saying is that someone removed classification markings before sending emails to Clinton. If that happened, we'll truly see if Hillary is above the law.

Wait, what? I haven't been following this too closely, but that doesn't make sense to me. If someone had an email that was classified, removed the classified markings, and sent it to Clinton, how is that her fault?

Cheebo

Banned
Reading through the Tinder thread, it's increasingly clear that many of us millennials may never find someone and settle down, essentially making it more about ourselves and not how we see the world through meaningful relationships with other people.

Basing how people sleep around/date casually in their 20's to project long term won't really work out. Nearly everyone, millennials and otherwise are going to get married at least once and have a kid or two.

People said the very same thing about the Gen X'ers.

I sure would like to run into all these tinder people that go "oh hey, we matched? lets fuck". Alas, still gotta chat up every damn girl i meet there first, man. With all the matches i get, it's time consuming af

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom