• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, HA, Jennifer Rubin wrote that article. Yeesh.

He really is looking like Rick Perry '16.

She's been criticizing Walker for months. She's a Rubio fan overall, and tends to lightly criticize Jeb. Her hatred of Obama borders on obsessive.

You guys should follow her on twitter...the anti-Clinton delusion is hilarious. She's been saying for years that Hillary cannot win in 2016, so Clinton's current free fall is validation to her. Still...assuming Hillary doesn't go to jail or get forced out of the race it's going to be real funny reading Rubin's shit in November 2016.

Right now Rubio seems like the most likely to me but people shouldn't rule out a dark-horse breakout like Kasich or Fiorina. The schedule is so tight that if someone pulls out an upset win in New Hampshire things could snow ball. I'd rather bet on Kasich at 25/1 than Rubio at 5/1 right now.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...ns-blogs/rob-christensen/article31190003.html

A Democratic Senate primary may be shaping up next year between former Congressman Heath Shuler of Waynesville and former state Rep. Deborah Ross of Raleigh.

Such a primary would raise questions about Democratic strategy: whether it is better for the party to reach out to the middle with a moderate, or fire up the base with a progressive.

The Democrats have been searching for a candidate to challenge Republican Sen. Richard Burr of Winston-Salem, who is expected to run for a third term.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has been the chief recruiter in the race, but in recent months it has been hearing a lot of no’s from prominent Democrats including former U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx, a former Charlotte mayor, and state Treasurer Janet Cowell. State Sen. Dan Blue, a former state House speaker has, so far, been lukewarm at best on the possibility of running.

In recent weeks, the DSCC has shifted its focus to Shuler and Ross, trying to convince them to consider the Senate race. Both seem poised to enter the race, setting up a primary next May.

There are other candidates who are also considering the race, including state Rep. Duane Hall of Raleigh and Chris Rey, mayor of Spring Lake.

Cheebo

Banned
I think an avatar bet is good.

Soon as we know who the nominee is officially those who predicted wrong should have to have the actual Republican nominee's 2016 logo as their avatar through election day.

I think an avatar bet is good.

Soon as we know who the nominee is officially those who predicted wrong should have to have the actual Republican nominee's 2016 logo as their avatar through election day.

Too kind. Far too kind.
Pictures of Ted Cruz for all the losers.

List will be updated periodically. You have till September 25th to choose a candidate. Choose wisely.

Jindal? LOL.

I still have no clue and I think I'll wait before making a guess. If forced to pick right now, I'd go with Trump . . . not because he is in the lead but because he has a great speaking ability, he's been the Teflon Don, and because of the heavy anti-establishment anger due to McCain & Mitt losing and evidenced by Trump, Carson, and Fiorina all doing well in polls.

Meanwhile, Huckabee just held a fundraising event in an Israeli settlement in the West Bank.

It would seem like that would have to violate some campaign finance laws. But I guess as long as the donors are US citizens.

And not just Israel . . . in the settlement area? WTF? You mean those areas where it is official US policy that Israel not build settlements? US policy that has been the same under Obama, Bush, and Clinton.

That's borderline funding terrorists!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It would seem like that would have to violate some campaign finance laws. But I guess as long as the donors are US citizens.

And not just Israel . . . in the settlement area? WTF? You mean those areas where it is official US policy that Israel not build settlements? US policy that has been the same under Obama, Bush, and Clinton.

That's borderline funding terrorists!

Surely you mean borderline receiving funding from terrorists.

Jindal's freakout over Scott Walker's healthcare plan has been hilarious. Pre-ACA Jindal was very vocal in supporting tax credits to subsidized healthcare. Now they're "handouts" worthy of scorn. Dude is embarrassing himself and burning bridges with the people who will still be campaigning in 6-7 months.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jindal's freakout over Scott Walker's healthcare plan has been hilarious. Pre-ACA Jindal was very vocal in supporting tax credits to subsidized healthcare. Now they're "handouts" worthy of scorn. Dude is embarrassing himself and burning bridges with the people who will still be campaigning in 6-7 months.

Like he's even going to be an afterthought 6 months from now.

HylianTom

Banned
I want to see where things are: after Debate #2, and after Jeb's ad campaign has been on TV for a little bit.

I think it'll come down to Jeb vs Trump. If forced right now, I'd guess Jeb.. and that Trump (along with a huge part of the base) is not going to be very happy about it.

pigeon

Banned
To be honest, I think the GOP primary is way too up in the air to wager anything on.

I can only go so far as to say I think one of the outsider candidates will win. Just as expected, this is looking like the Republican version of the 1968 or 1972 Democratic primaries, where party power is unraveling as the party coalition comes apart. Could be Trump. Could be Cruz. Could be Carson. Could be Huckabee! But right now my bet is that it won't be Jeb, Walker or Rubio. (Or just maybe it is Rubio, he wins, and he's the Republican Carter and is out after four years when it becomes clear he can't actually deliver any Republican goals because they're insane.)

People on the Jebmentum! train need to deal with the fact that Republicans really, really don't like that guy. Its one of the reasons I think a CHAOS primary where someone comes from nowhere and wins is possible.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/08/...ting-among-registered-voters-in-new-cnn-poll/

lol, this guy already sees the darkness at end of tunnel:

I am starting to believe Jeb is toast. He would be a disaster in the general election. But so would Donald Trump. I am still hoping for Walker with Cruz as my back-up. But in the end it will probably be Trump or Jeb. Either way we are done. Oh well. I’m trying not to care anymore.

Jack_Burton on August 18, 2015 at 4:08 PM

I'm holding firm to my prediction that Trump will be the nominee.

Even if he isn't, he only needs to win one state in the primary for me to pick out PD's avatar for six months. I'll be taking suggestions when the time comes.

NeoXChaos

I'm holding firm to my prediction that Trump will be the nominee.

Even if he isn't, he only needs to win one state in the primary for me to pick out PD's avatar for six months. I'll be taking suggestions when the time comes.

He already has a bet with someone else on Bush not being the nominee.

i do think it will be interesting to see if the forthcoming $15 mill Jeb! cannon will provide a boost to his numbers, or will the ads be used to hammer opponents. most likely positive fluff stuff to shore up unfavs and differentiate from his father/brother. still, will it be as effective and noticeable as the 2011 romney blitzkrieg was? i mean, that was like the death star arraying and you knew you were toast before the ads even started. maybe the base has wisened up this time around. hopefully.

I can't decide between Bush and Trump.

I think I'd go with Bush with the very real possibility that Trump runs third party.

The dual thread about the CNN/ORC poll about Bernie and Trump are something. If those are any indication of this cycle, we are in for a roller-coaster ride.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bush losing would represent complete dissolution of the power of the Republican Party establishment. I'm not ready to bet on that yet. Money + milquetoast = a hard to beat combination.

Jindal is not serious. He's just there to be part of VP list.

Not even that narrative makes sense. Whoever gets picked will do so by appeasing the radical base, so the VP choice should be a moderate. By further radicalizing his positions, he decreases his appeal.

Kasich, on the other hand, is running a proper VP campaign.

PPP's North Carolina head-to-head primaries are interesting:

Trump 50%
Bush 42%

Carson 59%
Trump 35%

Rubio 51%
Trump 43%

Walker 50%
Trump 43%

Trump would lose in a winnowed race to anyone but Bush. Jeb is the only first tier candidate that's more toxic with a larger segment of the party. The establishment really needs to consider dumping Jeb and uniting around someone like Rubio if Trump shows the potential to go all the way.

And I find it hard to underestimate Trump. Smarter than Walker, a better retail candidate than Jeb, more in tune with the base than Cruz, more media-savvy than anyone. And he's got that Ross Perot moderate appeal going for him. Idk.

A lot of people have been talking about how Trump's numbers are unsustainable.

I'm going to posit that there's no way in hell Carson's numbers will hold up. There's not a chance in hell he'd actually beat Hillary in North Carolina, for instance. I'm quite confident that a Carson nomination would result in a Reagan/Mondale style electoral map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom