• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

enBqX5.gif

Teflon don

Walker's entire career has been based on stiring white racial resentment. Lets not forget he went after state workers union (were minorities are prevalent) and left cops and firefighters alone. There's also a lot base on his time as county leader or whatever they call that up in Milwalkee (I believe its the most segregated city in the country or something).

No republican goes after police or firefighter unions, this comment strikes me as very odd. There's less of a racial component to anti-union bashing than an anti worker component. Christie has done the same thing in NJ. Whenever states begin suffering due to a crash the immediate republican response is to blame unions.

Walker has white resentment politics down to a science but I don't think this is about race. His BLM comments are somewhat tame too and in line with what most republicans are saying. Personally I don't support BLM but if I were to point to any candidate that botched the issue the most it would be Jeb Bush (who insinuated the slogan itself is racist).

Why do you guys think this is the case? What Grade's do they teach government/civics in now?

I don't think its civics per se. But just a general misunderstanding on the nature of power (which is weird because they get it pretty accurately on issues of the things driving the movement they just don't apply it to politics and other areas, its weird). And its exercise. Civics is BS unless its a deconstruction of the Civics they teach in HS (Schoolhouse Rock)

Asked at a ‘Politics and Eggs’ breakfast forum in Manchester on Friday if he would take some time to sit down with the African-American activists, Walker called the question “ridiculous.”

“I’m going to meet with voters.

If you cut the quote right there, it is really REALLY damning. But even in full context it is pretty fucking sad.

NeoXChaos

I don't think its civics per se. But just a general misunderstanding on the nature of power (which is weird because they get it pretty accurately on issues of the things driving the movement they just don't apply it to politics and other areas, its weird). And its exercise. Civics is BS unless its a deconstruction of the Civics they teach in HS (Schoolhouse Rock)

when one individual suggested we should flood the Supreme Court with phones and force them to listen to our demands I scratch my head. I don't get where this misunderstanding of the axis of power of the thress branches comes from.

Oh god, the new thing is going to be posting that link to the Zero Campaign and pretending problem solved isn't it?

I want to ask if they ever will endorse anyone and mobilize actual political apparatuses around candidates on an institutional level? Like canvassing, phone banking, volunteering

I also personally thing BLM is focusing far too much on police.

I think its vitally important and should be a major priority goal but we need things that allow other laws to police laws surrounding education, jobs, transportation, etc for racial impacts. The courts have far to often dismissed challenges to these things based on existing civil rights laws and I think we can change this and force them to look at then by updating them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Its scary. And its why the many on the left never get what they want. The gay rights movement was the opposite of this. They got shit done.

Indeed. They put forth policy in many many states and kept trying over and over in the courts.

I wonder if it's a funding and political sophistication issue behind the scenes? Whether the apparently younger minority driven BLM movement simply does not have the money or knowledge to work the system in their favor the same way the gay movement did (which spans the races and ages).

pigeon

Banned
Indeed. They put forth policy in many many states and kept trying over and over in the courts.

I wonder if it's a funding and political sophistication issue behind the scenes? Whether the apparently younger minority driven BLM movement simply does not have the money or knowledge to work the system in their favor the same way the gay movement did (which spans the races and ages).

Well, left-wing protest groups are often pretty disorganized -- look at Occupy. Honestly, I think BLM is doing better than most. They have coherent policy goals and requests, they just didn't come up in the meeting.

1. She is going to win. Believe in it.
2. They are going to have losses and it is crucial that they prepare for that now.
Oh, I do think she'll win. Still, I'm not going to count my chickens just yet.

The problem I have with this is politics is different now. Back during the time periods we keep looking back to the electorate was very firm in its fluidness (this doesn't make literal sense but you know what I mean) and solid in its composition (White). This isn't true now. Unless minorities start changing their votes or stop showing up why should we expect change, even with economic troubles (Doesn't everyone remember how crappy things were in 2012 when Obama got reelected).

A lot of the reasons people voted for the challenger in those years wasn't only the economy but because the challenging party had different ideas about how to fix thins. There was the hope that these policies would be better. That's not to say the Dems can't lose but you can't just say "there's always an economic crisis" or "4 terms is too much, people want change!"
This is true. Had the 2012 election happened in a similar environment to 20 years ago, Obama would have easily lost. Base turnout is getting more and more important.

KingGondo

Banned
Robert Costa said:
I spoke w/ 13 [Trump] die-hards who showed up super early. 10/13 said their 2nd choice is Carson. 2/13 said 2nd choice is Cruz. 1/13 said Walker.
It will be hilarious when Carson inevitably leads for a few weeks.

The Kochs can throw as much money into the presidential election as they want, but they'll never get their guy in the White House if they keep handpicking dumbfucks like Walker in the primaries.

KingGondo

Banned
The Kochs can throw as much money into the presidential election as they want, but they'll never get their guy in the White House if they keep handpicking dumbfucks like Walker in the primaries.
Their ideal candidate probably carries himself like Walker but has the intelligence of Cruz.

That would be a terrifying combination. Thank god Cruz is completely unlikable and Walker is a moron.

when one individual suggested we should flood the Supreme Court with phones and force them to listen to our demands I scratch my head. I don't get where this misunderstanding of the axis of power of the thress branches comes from.

I think a good chunk of those liberals are young adults who actually don't pay much attention to politics a lot; so they get idealistic ideas on how to change the system.

Their ideal candidate probably carries himself like Walker but has the intelligence of Cruz.

That would be a terrifying combination. Thank god Cruz is completely unlikable and Walker is a moron.

Walker was a perfect guy for them. He is a brain-dead ideological zombie and he doesn't have much money so he'll do anything for cash.

Luckily for us, Walker has a total derp face and is not very bright.

If Kasich weren't such a dogged advocate for Medicaid expansion, he probably would have gotten some serious consideration from the Kochs.

But clearly that was a dealbreaker for them.

pigeon

Banned
Would Republicans even accept Romney again? I thought they consider him a loser now like McCain?

They pretty clearly wouldn't -- that's why he dropped out earlier. Presumably he went around to a bunch of donors and party members and found no support, because Jeb soaked it all up.

The various stories about Kasich, Romney, etc. are just Jeb's donors basically sending up a smoke signal. Jeb has a clock on his inevitability. If he continues to sit around in sixth place, his supporters can and will move to candidates that might actually be the nominee.

Would Republicans even accept Romney again? I thought they consider him a loser now like McCain?

Right now? Yeah, I think they absolutely would.

If this were a normal primary contest, he wouldn't have a chance in hell. But in this one? I bet he almost instantly jumps to second place in the polls.

I have several conservative friends and acquaintances who are legitimately freaking the fuck out right now.

itshappening.gif #tcot

This comes up every few months but I'm apt to believe it. The only reason Romney didn't initially run is because Bush consolidated donors and had the establishment advantage. Now it looks like Jeb Bush is floundering, and I guarantee many of his donors are looking elsewhere.

Even if Mittens were to jump into the race, one would assume that he'd leave his entrance for the last moment possible, precisely so he wouldn't have to flipflop so much and could run as the centrist he (in theory) is.

Obv this approach would take for granted that a truckload of contenders would simply have to give up on running and promptly support the guy For The Greater Republican Good.

Cheebo

Banned
MI has typically been a swing state pre-Obama and we have a Republican governer and republicans dominate our state government. I can see it being pretty close next go round. Clinton win it in the end but I can see it being 2-3% or so sort of margin.

MI has typically been a swing state pre-Obama and we have a Republican governer and republicans dominate our state government. I can see it being pretty close next go round. Clinton win it in the end but I can see it being 2-3% or so sort of margin.

But everything follows a pattern. Like you can't be winning Ohio but losing Pennsylvania because Ohio would be lost long before Pennsylvania. Wisconsin is typically much closer to a swing state than Michigan so you would lose Wisconsin before you lose Michigan.

Kerry won Michigan by more than 3 points. That makes it at least lean Democrat.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Speaking of Derp-face:

The Marquette poll, generally considered the best source for Wisconsin surveys, is a bit of a disaster for Walker. It shows, for example, the governor’s approval rating dipping to 39% less than a year after his successful re-election campaign. He leads the GOP’s 2016 field, but only 25% of Wisconsin Republicans – a group that should arguably represent Walker’s ardent base – choose their own governor as their preferred presidential candidate.

All of which leads us to the gut-punch: in a head-to-head match-up against Hillary Clinton, the likely Democratic nominee, Scott Walker trails by double digits – 52% to 42% – in his own state.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/walker-struggles-win-over-his-own-constituents

ivysaur12

Banned
Trump has a new strategy which I think is his best shot: The South. OTHERS AGREE

Billmon ‏@billmon1
Targeting Alabama & other Deep South states ("SEC primary") is no slam duck, but Trump's guys are right: winning there could lock it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom