• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumblr_inline_nfbnmxqQoQ1ro2d43.gif

Their ideal candidate probably carries himself like Walker but has the intelligence of Cruz.

That would be a terrifying combination. Thank god Cruz is completely unlikable and Walker is a moron.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. The "intelligence" of Cruz? Ted Cruz is a fucking idiot.

This is a guy who thinks climate change is fake, who called net neutrality "Obamacare for the internet" and who continues to claim gay marriage will lead to Christian persecution.

Plus, all the god shit; in an ideal world the guy would be institutionalized.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Would this strategy actually work? lmao @ Rick Perry's miserable polling in Texas. I thought people here liked him.

If Trump can place well in the races until he reaches the South, no lower than 3rd in Iowa or NH, he might just be able to pull it off. He would just need to find a way to keep his momentum going through those races.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. The "intelligence" of Cruz? Ted Cruz is a fucking idiot.

This is a guy who thinks climate change is fake, who called net neutrality "Obamacare for the internet" and who continues to claim gay marriage will lead to Christian persecution.

Plus, all the god shit; in an ideal world the guy would be institutionalized.

You seem to think that Cruz believes all the shit he says.

He doesn't. He's a very cynical opportunist that knows perfectly well how to appeal to his base.

ivysaur12

Banned
If Trump can place well in the races until he reaches the South, no lower than 3rd in Iowa or NH, he might just be able to pull it off. He would just need to find a way to keep his momentum going through those races.

Which he inevitably would by sweeping those states.

He doesn't. He's a very cynical opportunist that knows perfectly well how to appeal to his base.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? He could be like Ben Carson . . . clearly a gifted intelligent individual whose brain has been taken over by a religious virus.

Remember, they are both the sons of Evangelical preachers.

This claim is starting to get so stale. Talk about undeserved credit. We've heard this a million times and not just about Cruz. Where is the evidence? Is this assumption - that he doesn't believe what he's saying - because he went to some good schools decades ago?

There are millions and millions of examples of Ivy League standouts way back when who sound like simpletons today, all because they have not evolved with society. They look at current events through a decades-old filter (not to mention a Biblical one), still convinced communism is a real threat, that people who think humans can affect climate are "arrogant" because only God can do that, and that the solution to all of America's problems are unregulated markets, guns and the Bible. Not to mention that poor people can just stop being poor and that our foreign policy should be to drop bombs on any country who even looks at us the wrong way.

These peoples' minds are stuck in some ancient world but they exist physically in the modern world. This makes them sound stupid, because they are stupid. Ted Cruz is one of these people and he is stupid.

This claim is starting to get so stale. Talk about undeserved credit. We've heard this a million times and not just about Cruz. Where is the evidence? Is this assumption - that he doesn't believe what he's saying - because he went to some good schools decades ago?

There are millions and millions of examples of Ivy League standouts way back when who sound like simpletons today, all because they have not evolved with society. They look at current events through a decades-old filter (not to mention a Biblical one), still convinced communism is a real threat, that people who think humans can affect climate are "arrogant" because only God can do that, and that the solution to all of America's problems are unregulated markets, guns and the Bible. Not to mention that poor people can just stop being poor and that our foreign policy should be to drop bombs on any country who even looks at us the wrong way.

These peoples' minds are stuck in some ancient world but they exist physically in the modern world. This makes them sound stupid, because they are stupid. Ted Cruz is one of these people and he is stupid.

But he's not stupid. You can't get through Harvard Law and clerk at the Supreme Court being stupid. He's an ideological zombie. It's the Biblical filter.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
According to most profiles of him and his history he does

I'm still trying to figure the guy out. I thought with the level of narcissim the guy has, he'd clearly be a grifter, but the more I see how he operates (the gov shutdown, screwing over the juidicial nominee process, his most recent stint calling out McConnell and not getting hardly any back up from his colleagues) the more I wonder if the dude's just as delusional as the people he caters to.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It will be hilarious when Carson inevitably leads for a few weeks.

And what this most likely means is that Carson voters move to Trump if Carson drops out.

Bam Bam Baklava said:
More conflicting poll action.

Clinton commanding wins in Wisconsin but losing Michigan...makes sense.

As I've been saying here for months, Michigan's turn red is coming sooner than you all think. Detroit's population tanking and a ton of middle-class citizens leaving the state set it on its path.

NeoXChaos

And what this most likely means is that Carson voters move to Trump if Carson drops out.

As I've been saying here for months, Michigan's turn red is coming sooner than you all think. Detroit's population tanking and a ton of middle-class citizens leaving the state set it on its path.

Year? I dare they spend money in MI. Like PA it is a fools gold for them.

But he's not stupid. You can't get through Harvard Law and clerk at the Supreme Court being stupid. He's an ideological zombie. It's the Biblical filter.

Well herein may lie a difference of opinion. I believe that no matter how educated and accomplished you are, there is a threshold which, if you cross it, you can safely be called an idiot regardless of your academic pedigree.

Also, you keep looking at Ted Cruz in the past and I'm looking at Ted Cruz now. He was well educated and has had some solid life experience. He has had access to resources and information and knowledge throughout the decades that so many have not had, and here he is, in 2015, talking out of his ass about technology, science, social issues, and law.

Maybe it's the case that he was really smart back in the day, but at some point he decided that new information and new facts don't matter, or he reached some mental peak beyond which he cannot grasp that new information, e.g., the simple concept of the fucking greenhouse effect. What do you call a person like that?

It's hard not to view Cruz as a cynical charlatan when he pulls out crap like "Obamacare for the Internet" when discussing net neutrality.

I think he has strong fundamental conservative beliefs, but I think his actions as a politican show utter disdain for his constituents and supporters.

He's the smartest guy in the room and he gets off on manipulating dumb rank-and-file Republicans.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Year? I dare they spend money in MI. Like PA it is a fools gold for them.

Maybe this election, maybe 2020. 2024 at the latest.

Aaron Strife said:
Who said she's losing Michigan?

Regardless of your answer they're a fucking idiot

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/do...MI_Press_Release_8-20-15_Rubio_Prez_Final.pdf

I think they're referring to this poll. Reading through, it appears extremely flawed. It appears to have only included Trump, Jeb, and Rubio. It was also done weeks ago, before Trump spoke in Michigan.

While you're probably mostly right, he also read Green Eggs & Ham unironically while trying to prevent the ACA from taking effect (well, the exchanges part).

He also has fucked up basic Senate procedure rules to the detriment of his own party and goals.

Honestly, some of the absolute dumbest people I've ever met have been lawyers. It might seem weird, but Cruz could be an exceptional constitutional lawyer and a fucking moron at everything else.

And I'm sure Ted Cruz picked up some interesting biblical beliefs from his father:

Ted Cruz's Father Suggested His Son Is 'Anointed' to Bring About 'End Time Transfer of Wealth'

In a sermon last year [2012] at an Irving, Texas, megachurch that helped elect Ted Cruz to the United States Senate, Cruz' father Rafael Cruz indicated that his son was among the evangelical Christians who are anointed as "kings" to take control of all sectors of society, an agenda commonly referred to as the "Seven Mountains" mandate, and "bring the spoils of war to the priests", thus helping to bring about a prophesied "great transfer of wealth", from the "wicked" to righteous gentile believers.

Give trump another couple weeks plus the next debate, and I think we'll finally have to admit that hell is freezing over.

I'm telling ya that Trump would turn hell into the most classy and luxurious five star ski resort this universe has ever seen. Trump would build it faster and cheaper than any other ski resort that was previously built in history.

Maledict

Interesting idea on Vox: Forcing pregnancy is somewhat like forcing organ donations. It kind of makes sense. If people with the capability were forced to donate organs, we would save a great deal of lives so the "pro-life" stance should be forced organ donation. They have a bit of a different take than that last sentence, but it's an interesting idea to explore.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/21/9183529/pregnancy-risks

It's an idea from philosphical debates on abortion that's been going round for some time. The original scenario went something like:

Imagine after a drunk night out with friends, you wake up in a hospital bed connected to a patient in the next bed. The doctor explains that the person next to you is a world class pianist, who was in a car accident, and that the only way to save them is for you to remain linked to the person so they can use your blood and organs to survive for the next 9 months. Is this fair or right that the state can impose this on you, and if not why?

I'd go to see him, but I don't live close enough. Not because I believe in his statements or anything but for the entertainment and historical value. Regardless if he wins or loses his run will affect the 2016 elections.

HylianTom

Banned
MSNBC's Trump coverage.. is it me, or is Matthews glowing over this guy?

I half-expect him to declare that he feels a thrill up his leg any moment now. It's quite amusing.

It is sort of insane that Trump's rallies are getting all this media attention and Bernie's get nada.
Not really. Trump's inflammatory remarks are guaranteed ratings boost for the media. If Bernie said half the shit Trump did it'd be different. Bernie is boring, as much as I like his stances on issues. I actually hate saying that last part because I don't want to be lumped with the crazy supporters of Bernie.

HylianTom

Banned
It is sort of insane that Trump's rallies are getting all this media attention and Bernie's get nada.
Bernie pretty much needs to skydive out of a C-130 to Metallica in order to compete.
(and what would that Metallica song be? Enter Sandman, of course..)

They said they got 35k RSVP from people so I wonder if they got trolled by a lot of people.
Every time I see a Trump tweet, I wonder how many of those favorites and retweets are really liberals/Democrats encouraging him along..

Gotchaye

It's an idea from philosphical debates on abortion that's been going round for some time. The original scenario went something like:

Imagine after a drunk night out with friends, you wake up in a hospital bed connected to a patient in the next bed. The doctor explains that the person next to you is a world class pianist, who was in a car accident, and that the only way to save them is for you to remain linked to the person so they can use your blood and organs to survive for the next 9 months. Is this fair or right that the state can impose this on you, and if not why?

Right, and this is basically the justification for rape exemptions. It's also why pro-lifers tend to focus on the woman being responsible for the existence of the fetus - the situation looks pretty different if you're responsible for the violinist needing your blood.

Right, and this is basically the justification for rape exemptions. It's also why pro-lifers tend to focus on the woman being responsible for the existence of the fetus - the situation looks pretty different if you're responsible for the violinist needing your blood.

I think the problem with these analogical devices (while interesting nonetheless) is that they don't map out very well to the actual real world. What does being responsible mean in the context of real life behavior and not just hypothetical binaries? If one takes precautions by using contraception but it fails, how do we map that over to these analogy scenarios? Do we try to fashion some type of assumption of the risk argument using expected probabilities (say a car accident caused by extremely unlikely but foreseeable mechanical failure)? At a certain point, getting the analogy to 'fit' ends up creating more complexity and confusion than simply addressing the points directly.

I think the problem with these analogical devices (while interesting nonetheless) is that they don't map out very well to the actual real world. What does being responsible mean in the context of real life behavior and not just hypothetical binaries? If one takes precautions by using contraception but it fails, how do we map that over to these analogy scenarios? Do we try to fashion some type of assumption of the risk argument using expected probabilities (say a car accident caused by extremely unlikely but foreseeable mechanical failure)? At a certain point, getting the analogy to 'fit' ends up creating more complexity and confusion than simply addressing the points directly.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

One will always have a fiendish time if one tries to create an all-encompassing, perfect analogy. That is not the purpose of the exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom