• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

One will always have a fiendish time if one tries to create an all-encompassing, perfect analogy. That is not the purpose of the exercise.

Well yes, I'm assuming that the purpose and benefit of using an analogical device is to help elucidate a point/argument that is not being understood in the context of the 'normal' arguments for whatever reason. My point is that with abortion analogies (and many analogies for that matter), the real world issue is so nuanced and complex that it just can't be broken down effectively without losing its import.

Well yes, I'm assuming that the purpose and benefit of using an analogical device is to help elucidate a point/argument that is not being understood in the context of the 'normal' arguments for whatever reason. My point is that with abortion analogies (and many analogies for that matter), they oversimplify to such a degree that it no longer possesses any explanatory benefit.

Pretty sure that that specific one is to allow a person to relate, fwiw.

Pretty sure that that specific one is to allow a person to relate, fwiw.

The point is that the situation in the violin analogy that one is trying to get someone to relate to is too far removed from the actual reality to be really helpful. Why appeal to an unsatisfactory analogy in the first place when the actual real world situation would suffice?

Did this get posted yet?

CM3Y_A_UYAAntL_.jpg:large

Even Jeb!'s super PAC is fucking incompetent.

Tarkus

This is an excellent speech. Hillary could not hold a candle to this. MSNBC needs to drop this broadcast. It's hurting their base.

Because, evidently, it hasn't. Otherwise one wouldn't be bothering with an analogy and all.

Evidently it hasn't what? Caused people to empathize? Changed people's minds? Unless we're conditioning 'success' on the complete reversal of someone's position that doesn't really speak to whether using the analogy is beneficial or not. Plus, the analogies being discussed were created as part of philosophical and ethical academic interrogations, not as everyday comparisons to help the laymen understand the issue.

The point I'm making is that furthering debate of the issue is best improved by dealing with the actual issues involved and not resorting to misaligned analogies. But an improved understanding of the issue does not automatically mean that people will change their minds, nor should we expect it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom