• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We're all aware that the only reason this is even a thing is because it's Hillary Clinton, right? Like if there was some story about Jeb Bush using a private email system when he really should've used the state one, would any liberals actually care? I feel like we all be pretty bored by the story and would move on pretty quickly. Ivysaur might crack a joke, and maybe some writer at Rolling Stone or something would run an op-ed but I think that would be it.

El Yebe did have an email scandal remember? He accidentally released the private information, like SS numbers, of the people who emailed him looking for help with stuff. We made like 3 jokes and instantly got bored.

Don't know where there is 30k number is coming from other than Trump campaign. People who were there estimate the stadium was about half full at best.

The CNN article says 30 but doesn't explain how that number came to be. Seems to be more like 20 which is pretty good but it's also Alabama, that's not that different from Sanders getting big crowds in big liberal cities.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
h2EY7dh.png

And this election meme was born. Well done.

http://wonkette.com/593195/ted-cruz-chooses-perfect-day-to-be-a-dick-to-jimmy-carter

Sen. Ted Cruz, displaying the warmth and basic decency that have made him a legend among near-human beings, chose the day after former President Jimmy Carter announced that he has brain cancer to natter on about how terrible a president Carter was, but at least the man only had a single term before Ronald Reagan Saved America.
Less than 24 hours after the former president said, “I just thought I had a few weeks left,” and thanked God for his “exciting and adventurous and gratifying existence,” Cruz mounted the Des Moines Register’s candidate soapbox at the Iowa State Fair on Friday and shared his own take on the significance of the dying former president and world peacemaker, who helped negotiate a peace treaty between Egypt and Israel:
“I think the parallels between this administration and the Carter administration are uncanny: same failed domestic policies, same misery, stagnation and malaise, same feckless and naïve foreign policy,” Cruz said. “In fact, the exact same countries—Russia and Iran — openly laughing and mocking at the president of the United States.”

teiresias

So I just randomly decided to rewatch Game Change last night when I was just mindlessly browsing through Amazon Prime Instant. Now, I've not read the book, and I believe the film at least makes Palin, and McCain for that matter, look more sympathetic than I think anyone has a right to think of them. However with that election now less fresh in my mind, but knowing now how GOP has reacted to an Obama two-term presidency, and the absolutely abhorrent xenophobia being ratcheted up during this GOP primary, the film is absolutely ominous.

That scene just before McCain goes out to give his concession speech and he turns back to Palin and says (granted the first bit isn't really true IMO, but the second follow-up is true), "You're one of the leaders of the party now Sarah. Don't get co-opted by Limbaugh and the other extremists. They'll destroy the party if you let them."

Listen to the damn ominous score under that scene, and realize the bigotry this GOP primary is trying to champion and it's enough to make one completely depressed that a sizable, albeit minority, part of this country's population is willing to tear its own political machine apart - though they probably don't realize that's what they're doing - in order to forcibly remove children from this country that happen to not be white.

In fact, for the first time I really noticed the score in the film (not the licensed music, but the score) , and it really is fairly dark particularly when a scene is addressing Palin using the process for bolstering her own ego, and the descent into screaming racist rally crowds the campaign ended up with.

It's a far better film about a descent into political darkness than the Star Wars PT.

I really dislike Ted Cruz. Ugh. What an asshole.

Yeah, he really is quite the comically evil character. If I were casting a movie and I needed someone for the nasty mean far-right politician, I'd ask for Ted Cruz. I think he won that 'Most punchable face' thread. And that voice . . . that squeaky little voice. The guy is Joseph McCarthy reincarnated.

User1608

Banned
Yeah, he really is quite the comically evil character. If I were casting a movie and I needed someone for the nasty mean far-right politician, I'd ask for Ted Cruz. I think he won that 'Most punchable face' thread. And that voice . . . that squeaky little voice. The guy is Joseph McCarthy reincarnated.
Lmao, my voice is somewhat similar though lighter. But yeah, his smug face rustles my jimmies greatly. I mean the man is one of the most cynical politicians out there, and that's saying something. I seriously don't see how conservatives like this self-serving stooge. At least the other GOP guys are charming/endearing in their own way (even Trump), but him, I don't get it.

User 406

Banned
Not sure if a "The hyoogest, most classiest fuckin' campaign event..." gag or an "ERASUREACER POST IF YOU'RE OK" is most appropriate here. :p

PC talk has been taking more and more of a center stage in the cycle ever since the Donald entered. Guy on CNN trying to convince this other guy that calling a baby an "anchor baby" is obviously placing all of the offensive nature of the word on the child and not on the mom. Then he just shrugs it off that we have much more important things to worry about over political correctness. It's an easy response that conservatives can yup up.

Diablos

Biden-Warren would be holy shit territory. Still wouldn't consider it particularly likely.
Biden better get in the fucking ring. Warren as VP is ideal. If not her, then O'Malley, Castro, or as a wild card, Kamala Harris. That would set her up for a 2024 run faster than anything else. DO IT.

Everyone worries about Biden's gaffes but compared to Donald Trump's filthy mouth, they are nothing.

Maybe my mind is racing but I just think Hillary is once again failing miserably at connecting the dots and we don't have time for this shit again. The climate isn't so favorable to Dems like it was in 2008 when Bush drove his party off a cliff. We can't play games again.

You know . . . isn't it pretty fucking Bizzaro for the GOP to suddenly go all 'anchor baby' and 'end birthright citizenship' when they have TWO presidential candidates that are 'anchor babies'?
Marco Rubio and Bobby Jindal

Biden better get in the fucking ring. Warren as VP is ideal. If not her, then O'Malley, Castro, or as a wild card, Kamala Harris. That would set her up for a 2024 run faster than anything else. DO IT.

Everyone worries about Biden's gaffes but compared to Donald Trump's filthy mouth, they are nothing.

Maybe my mind is racing but I just think Hillary is once again failing miserably at connecting the dots and we don't have time for this shit again. The climate isn't so favorable to Dems like it was in 2008 when Bush drove his party off a cliff. We can't play games again.

Aren't you the same guy who wanted Obama to be challenged by his own party in 2012?

pigeon

Banned
You know . . . isn't it pretty fucking Bizzaro for the GOP to suddenly go all 'anchor baby' and 'end birthright citizenship' when they have TWO presidential candidates that are 'anchor babies'?

Three if Mitt Romney gets back into the race.

Diablos

Aren't you the same guy who wanted Obama to be challenged by his own party in 2012?
If i said anything like that it was short-lived. I sincerely doubt I said it, but if you find the post so be it.

I'm serious, Biden is not that much older than Hillary and he is intelligent, charismatic/really knows how to work people, is a formidable diplomat and doesn't fuck around when things get crazy (i.e. doing the heavy lifting for Obama when no one else in his cabinet could work with Congress to get the Budget Control Act figured out). He knows how to ask tough questions and defend himself; he would wipe any GOPer all over the floor in a debate, from a jackass like Donald Trump to a complete establishment tool like Jeb Bush and everything in between.

Again, all of this Hillary stuff reminds me of the Democratic primary for '08 when she really started to piss me off. There's a reason why Obama won.

I hate to keep harping on this but since nothing super substantive is really going on...

It's been years, so I thought I might have misremembered, but the argument seems pretty self-defense-laden to me. In the article here Thomson spends time in Section 1 arguing for double effect, more-or-less - it's not murder to unplug the violinist to save your own life. She uses the phrase "right of self-defense". She says "a woman surely can defend her life against the threat to it posed by the unborn child, even if doing so involves its death".

Thomson discusses the violinist analogy primarily in the introductory section where she is talking about defending abortion even under the condition of the fetus being a person with a right to life. When she brings it up in later instances they are significant modifications of the original scenario intended to apply to a different argument. In particular, Section 1 is about instances in which the mother's life is threatened; she is attacking "the view that abortion is impermissible even to save the mother's life".

When she brings up the violinist argument in that section, she modifies the scenario by saying: "There you are, in bed with the violinist, and the director of the hospital says to you, "It's all most distressing, and I deeply sympathize, but you see this is putting an additional strain on your kidneys, and you'll be dead within the month."

That's a completely different situation from the original one. And again, if we were to say that you were the direct causation of the violinist's ailment, we would find ourselves in a quite less straightforward situation. The analogy's effectiveness turns quite heavily on embedded issues of causation that don't parallel well to the real world. She also discusses the expanding child/house analogy here with respect to self-defense.

Later in Section 3 she discusses exactly this responsibility issue I've brought up and again mentions self-defense. Note that I'm using "self-defense" a little more broadly than she does - she's talking about it as protecting one's own life, whereas I mean protecting oneself broadly.

I'm not sure where you're getting the responsibility issue in section 3. I don't think it's a coincidence that she uses the word responsibility/responsible in other places but not section 3. If you mean as a general catch-all for legal duties or moral obligations, sure I guess. But in the context of your use of it, I think you're getting at something more particular with respect to causation.

I also think your use of 'self-defense' is quite problematic. Your use is not, as you suggest, simply a little more broad than hers, it's fundamentally different. She's speaking with specificity for a particular purpose, I don't see how you can change the definition and say the argument is still the same.

But also note that in Section 5 she seems not to think that a right to bodily autonomy is absolute - it would be "morally indecent" to unplug the violinist if being plugged in is no real hardship (if it only lasts an hour and doesn't impact your health at all).

I think you have to be really careful in reading Section 5. Section 5 is about making clear distinctions between rights and what she calls moral decency. She is trying to say that the morally decent thing to do is not co-extensive with the operation of rights to have that 'thing' done; "You ought to do" is not equivalent with "they have a right to have you do". And she goes on to say that yes, indecent it may be, it is permissible to unplug. You later use semantics derogatorily but I think she is being quite earnest in trying to explore these differences. In anything, I think she fails to properly explore this subject in enough depth as she seems to treat duties as a moral issue that are ultimately subservient to rights (but one cannot have rights without corresponding duties).

What seems to make it possible to decently refuse to grant the use of your body to the violinist is just whether you're defending yourself from serious harm by killing him. She then spends a while walking this back because she thinks it's very weird that "anyone's rights should fade away and disappear as it gets harder and harder to accord them to him," but if we just talk about what people ought to do she's perfectly happy to say that people ought not to exercise their rights when they could make the world a better place by not exercising them and without losing anything significant. This strikes me, and I think even her, as just semantics. She ends Section 5 with this: "nobody is morally required to make large sacrifices, of health, of all other interests and concerns, of all other duties and commitments, for nine years, or even for nine months, in order to keep another person alive."

I think you're conflating things here because this section is not necessarily conditional on any threat of bodily harm or death or self-defense at all, all 'other interests and concerns' would suffice. She's saying that even if you need to be hooked up to the violinist for only an hour, that even if that action carries no risk whatsoever, that even if that action is a moral 'ought to do', none of that means the violinist has a right to be hooked up to you for that hour. You can refuse and unplug yourself and while doing so would perhaps be considered immoral, it is not, as she says, "unjust".

When you quote her closing to section 5 you fail to include the extremely important conditional she prefaced it with: " Except in such cases as the unborn person has a right to demand it--and we were leaving open the possibility that there may be such cases--nobody is morally required to make large sacrifices, of health, of all other interests and concerns, of all other duties and commitments, for nine years, or even for nine months, in order to keep another person alive."

Now if we re-translate the bolded into her analogical situation, "Except in such cases that the violinist has a right to demand it", we get to precisely my problem. The analogy is not generalized in a way that is helpful, it is a very particular formulation with implicit conditions that move us in a predefined direction. If we interrogate the internal issues of causation and what is necessary to create a "right of demand", we very quickly see the analogy's lack of efficacy.

In Section 8 she is explicit that "It would be indecent in the woman to request an abortion, and indecent in a doctor to perform it, if she is in her seventh month, and wants the abortion just to avoid the nuisance of postponing a trip abroad." She's explicit in a few places that it doesn't really matter if you don't like the distinction she makes between "indecent" and "unjust". This all strikes me as clearly a defense of abortion as an exercise of a right to defend oneself from harm against an innocent person who nevertheless has no right to harm you. Bodily autonomy comes into it because it helps explain why the fetus has no right to the woman's body that could compel the woman to allow the fetus to harm her. But there needs to be harm in order for the woman to "decently" prioritize her bodily autonomy over the fetus' right to life.

There's a lot to unpack here so let me first make a different point before addressing your points more directly. I think you're misusing sentences by failing to take into account the full context of how they're being used. That she later discusses self-defense in her paper, for example, does not mean that self-defense was inherently important to the original violinist analogy (she explicitly modified that analogy to include a self-defense element when she turned to that issue). And that original analogy was what this discussion was originally about was it not? But now it seems we've been forced to shift to an analysis of her entire paper in order to 'understand' the analogy, which supports my original argument:

the analogies being discussed were created as part of philosophical and ethical academic interrogations, not as everyday comparisons to help the laymen understand the issue.

That said, let's look in depth at this because there's a lot to unpack:

]In Section 8 she is explicit that "It would be indecent in the woman to request an abortion, and indecent in a doctor to perform it, if she is in her seventh month, and wants the abortion just to avoid the nuisance of postponing a trip abroad." ... This all strikes me as clearly a defense of abortion as an exercise of a right to defend oneself from harm against an innocent person who nevertheless has no right to harm you.

If that is an argument predicated on a right to defend oneself from harm, wherefore is the harm in the example? I don't think the nuisance of postponing the trip is the type of harm she had in mind when she was discussing self-defense. I think you're drawing the wrong conclusion about this section, mostly because she is being misleading.

Prior to your quote, she starts by saying that: "First, while I do argue that abortion is not impermissible, I do not argue that it is always permissible." But this makes no sense on its face, if something is not always permissible than it is sometimes impermissible. Yet she clearly states she is arguing against that conclusion, she doesn't say that 'abortion is not always impermissible'.

She continues: "There may well be cases in which carrying the child to term requires only Minimally Decent Samaritanism of the mother, and this is a standard we must not fall below." The whole "minimally Decent Samaritan" subject is a mess in my opinion. She originally uses 'decency' to imply a sense of morals and distinguishes that from rights or duties. So what is the relevance of minimal decency if the whole point is that decency is irrelevant to whether a right to something exists or not? Does minimal decency create a duty to act or or a right in a third party? How do we define minimal? When she says we must not fall below the standard does she mean we have a moral obligation but not an ethical one? If so, why bring it up? After all, she doesn't take a position one way or the other on 'minimal decency' laws:

"because it may well be argued that there should be laws in this country as there are in many European countries--compelling at least Minimally Decent Samaritanism.

I should think, myself, that Minimally Decent Samaritan laws would be one thing, Good Samaritan laws quite another, and in fact highly improper."

This may seem unrelated, but now let's consider the example you pointed to: "It would be indecent in the woman to request an abortion, and indecent in a doctor to perform it, if she is in her seventh month, and wants the abortion just to avoid the nuisance of postponing a trip abroad." As we've both said, indecent does not mean unjust, and indecent does not confer a right or a duty to act. So what is the purpose of this example beyond stating the obvious that someone may express moral disapproval? I really don't think she's saying this is a case of "Minimal Decency" and even if she was, she certainly hasn't said that minimal decency corresponds with any kind of right or legal obligation.

Which is to say that she's not arguing that an abortion in the context of that situation would be impermissible, merely that it could be morally objectionable. I do think she is in fact arguing that abortions are always permissible, but she is obscuring the fact through word-play and misuse of her own terminology.

So when you say that:

But there needs to be harm in order for the woman to "decently" prioritize her bodily autonomy over the fetus' right to life.

I think you're arguing for something she was not. Whether or not the woman's actions are 'decent' has no bearing on whether the abortion itself is permissible, she's merely making a moral observation. She's not saying that because it would be indecent to abort in this situation that abortions should not be permitted in this situation. See our and her earlier discussion in Section 5 about the differences between 'oughts' and 'rights':

So my own view is that even though you ought to let the violinist use your kidneys for the one hour he needs, we should not conclude that he has a right to do so--we should say that if you refuse, you are, like the boy who owns all the chocolates and will give none away, self-centered and callous, indecent in fact, but not unjust. And similarly, that even supposing a case in which a woman pregnant due to rape ought to allow the unborn person to use her body for the hour he needs, we should not conclude that he has a right to do so; we should say that she is self-centered, callous, indecent, but not unjust, if she refuses.

And that is exactly my point when I say the analogy and her argument operates independently of self-defense. Even if you stretch the definition to mean defending oneself against temporal inconveniences, it's not intrinsic to her argument; her point is that irrespective of the harm involved the fetus has no right to the body in the first place even if we grant that it has a right to life.

Moving on, I think thought experiments can be very useful just because they're not obviously rewordings of reality. Whether they are or not is often what's at issue. And arguing about this helps get at which details are relevant to the moral analysis of real cases. What often happens when you're trying to do "direct engagement" is that someone comes up with a principle - we're talking about abortion and someone says "well a fetus is a person and it's got a right to life, so abortion is wrong because that's killing it". You're basically done talking about abortion in particular at that point; you're only going to get anywhere if you start trying to get at whether that's actually a good principle. And so someone who thinks abortion can be permissible might do what Thomson did (well, first you might take a whack at arguing that a fetus isn't a person, but this is a worthwhile strategy too). From her perspective, yes, she's "rewording reality" (although, again, note that it's not, actually, since she doesn't think the early fetus is a person).

Her whole paper was an exercise in defending abortion even under the bolded condition. Her strategy was to show that even if you grant the opposing side this axiom, it doesn't necessarily follow that abortions are impermissible. And yes, while I think this is a perfectly good method of inquiry that doesn't mean this is the best process for more casual interactions between citizens.

Rather than drudging up an analogy which just takes one farther afield from the issue, why not simply explore the proponent's argument directly. They claim a fetus is a person with a right to life so abortion is murder. There are plenty of ways to interrogate that directly without feeling like a misaligned analogy is the only possible move left available to you. We could ask them what we should do when a woman miscarries, is it manslaughter? What about fertilized eggs that don't implant? Are those accidental killings? You can explore real-life parallels without having to manufacture a contrived analogy, does the right to life compel us to always act to save a life? Must we donate kidneys to those who will die without them, do we have a duty to rescue someone regardless of the hazards involved? This will probably move you into a discussion about passive vs. active (letting die vs. killing), which takes you to a more nuanced place than simply "nuh uh...yes uh".

You can even grant them the argument that abortion is murder and then ask what should follow. Should we prosecute any woman who gets an abortion for murder? If their spouse assents are they an accomplice to murder? How long should the prison term be? Statute of limitations? In many cases, someone may feel good about the principle in the abstract but fail to think through whether they would want that actually implemented.

The violinist case is capturing the important details of abortion. But this will very often not be obvious to the other person - they'll have a very different intuition about the violinist case. Their principle, however, would commit them to coming to the same conclusion in both cases. And so they see that their principle doesn't work, and they need to at least adjust it so that they can get different results in the two cases (hence the "responsibility" stuff). One hopes that eventually, if every plausible attempt fails, they'll drop their opposition to abortion. I don't know - maybe this is what you mean by "entrenched psychological opposition" - but whatever you want to call it it seems like the way a huge number of moral arguments unfold (most of the rest stalemate at "uh-huh" "nuh-uh").

Again, I don't think the violinist case captures the abortion issue in the way you think. It assumes complete lack of causation on your part, you're kidnapped and hooked up against your will. You say that pro-lifers are put on the defensive because they'll have to make up reasons (responsibility) to distinguish between rape and other abortion scenarios and that this distinction is not defensible. But why should we treat the claim that responsibility or causation is irrelevant or meaningless to this analogy? If we change the setup of the analogy to one in which you are directly responsible for the violinist's predicament, does that not change our moral/ethical calculus? By changing the starting scenario of the analogy, we completely change the way the analogy translates back into the real world. We would rightfully object and say that choosing to get pregnant is not like causing someone to become mortally injured, but this variant of the analogy would lead us to think that way by default. You can make one 'slide' in different directions by changing the setup.

I don't really understand some of the back half of your post. I'd suggest that lots of pro-lifers don't support rape exemptions just because they have the intuition that permissible abortion is about self-defense; I think clearly lots of them are motivated by a much less intellectualized compassion for rape victims, and clearly lots are motivated the other way by something like a desire to see women punished for having sex. But, sure, people will tend to come up with thought experiments that they think show that their opponents' principles are bad and their principles are good. I don't see that that's a fatal flaw, if we're arguing somewhere above the level of political slogans.

I'd argue that the violinist analogy is the functional equivalent of a political slogan. It's deliberately constructed to lead to a certain conclusion that doesn't map over well to the real world, and we can reverse the outcome by changing the underlying starting variables. And yeah, not everyone who is pro-life believes it for certain reasons, just as not everyone who is pro-choice believes it for certain reasons. That bad rationale for a position exists does not mean that better rationale does not exist or should not be addressed (tacit consent, responsibility/causation, stranger vs. offspring, killing vs. letting die). I'm not saying those are, or that we should treat them as, persuasive arguments against abortion, but they are more cogent formulations that are worth engaging with, as opposed to assuming that the argument is just about punishing women for having sex. Even if that is someone's reason, it's better to try to make them aware of the more structured arguments, and try to force them to interrogate their own positions. Developing understanding beyond what is sufficient is beneficial to society at large.

Three if Mitt Romney gets back into the race.

Not quite. George Romney was born in Mexico but he was a US citizen, so I guess Mitt would be a US citizen.

Romney's parents, Gaskell Romney (1871–1955) and Anna Amelia Pratt (1876–1926), were United States citizens and natives of the Territory of Utah.[7][8][9] They married in 1895 in Mexico and lived in Colonia Dublán in Galeana in the state of Chihuahua (one of the Mormon colonies in Mexico), where George was born on July 8, 1907.[1][4][10] They practiced monogamy[1] (polygamy having been abolished by the 1890 Manifesto, although it persisted in places, especially Mexico).[11] George had three older brothers, two younger brothers, and a younger sister.[12] Gaskell Romney was a successful carpenter, house builder, and farmer who headed the most prosperous family in the colony,[9][13] which was situated in an agricultural valley below the Sierra Madre Occidental.[7] The family chose U.S. citizenship for their children, including George.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Romney

tbf, I don't know if the GOP knows that Jindal is still alive and part of the political process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom