• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Also about the amount of intense national scrutiny that goes into a general election versus a primary.
This is part of why I think the Dems need a highlight reel campaign ready for next year. Have maybe one set of ads for each possible candidate, and then another set of ads that can be used to tar the entire party, defining them early. For tons of people who only start paying attention much later in the process, the antics we've been chuckling over for the past few months are going to be an absolute revelation.

It's like that old NBC ad campaign from the 90s: "if you haven't seen it, it's new to you!"

Can't help but be legit scared of Trump making it into the General Election.

Bush was dumb as a nail but showed charisma over Gore, who had the personality of a nail. I feel it's going to be a similar kind of race, but Hilary edges out.

A Trump/Hillary matchup wouldn't be even remotely close.

Christ, I could see Hillary getting 400 EC votes if she's running opposite Trump.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Which is true, but I feel like when you respond to these outlandish claims with responses like that, you're tacitly buying into the whole "Presidents control the economy" nonsense.

It's more to just get conservatives to STFU, really.

Is this counting 2009 net job losses in Obama's column?

Yup. I did say "net" jobs after all. 8 million to 1 million.

Total jobs created under Obama is ~13 million with ~5 million being lost in his first year thanks to Bush's recession.

So technically the true number should be 13 million.

If you think a Trump vs Hillary contest would be close, you're not really paying attention.

It's about demographics, man.

I suppose so, plus Trump is actively pissing people off he doesn't like, which is something Bush didn't seem to do.

Still, when I think back to Bush winning two terms in a row, it makes me think anyone who is the boring candidate in the GE will lose, even if the are the best for the country.

I liken that to be a major reason why Obama won against Hill as well.

The Trump team is 1000000x better at this campaign stuff than Jeb's team.

Something tells me Trump isn't using a lot of old school political types to run his social media stuff.

This attack is actually quite good. If it was a TV commercial, Jeb! would be shitting himself.
Wonder if these are actually going up on TV. Trump's TV campaign could be fierce.

Not really, no. Why should jobs lost in January, when Obama was in office for a week, count?

Because the only reason why they were lost is due to the decrease in investor confidence, which only happened because Obama was elected. Dudes were bailing out asap, and with good reason.

We really shouldn't indulge him with this sort of thing...

NeoXChaos

ech2.png

326 would be another one of those elections where the news media try their damnedest to sell the "DEAD HEAT!!!" narrative while we sit here and giggle, waiting to see how each individual state and Senate race shakes-out.
Wonder which 6 EV state they have Hillary losing. I think last month it was Nevada, which I'm guessing is because their economy is so rocky, but I'd imagine Iowa would flip sooner.

But if the Dem nominee is winning Ohio, Florida and Colorado they're probably winning IA/NV. Probably just a kink of the model.

It'd be kind of funny if the election results were the exact same as 2012. Though personally I'm hoping she can swing North Carolina and maybe another state (Georgia? Missouri?)

Obama's comedy writers destroyed Trump back in 2011 so maybe Hillary can train up with them.

That does seem to be answer. If you just attack him and he attacks back, it legitimizes him and he'll say stuff you don't dare to say.

You gotta just turn him into the clown that he is and only respond to him with jokes.

NeoXChaos

CNN amends GOP debate criteria, possibly opening the door for Carly Fiorina to join #1

CNN is amending the criteria for its Republican presidential debate on September 16, possibly opening the door for Carly Fiorina to join the other top-tier candidates on the stage.

The cause: a lack of national public polling following the August 6 debate has so far provided only three new polls to determine the lineup for the Reagan Presidential Debate, according to a CNN statement.

As a result, CNN reevaluated its criteria and decided to add a provision that better reflects the state of the race since the first Republican presidential debate in August, the network announced Tuesday.

Now, any candidate who ranks in the top 10 in polling between August 6 and September 10 will be included.

The adjustment may result in additional candidates joining the top-tier debate, but the final podium placements will not be known until the eligibility window closes on September 10.

So if the next 2 polls dont change too much it looks like Fiorina will be in and Carson will be next to Trump and Bush. Paul will be out.

CNN amends GOP debate criteria, possibly opening the door for Carly Fiorina to join #1

So if the next 2 polls dont change too much it looks like Fiorina will be in and Carson will be next to Trump and Bush. Paul will be out.

I always knew they would. They are desperate to get Fiorina up there.

Obama's comedy writers destroyed Trump back in 2011 so maybe Hillary can train up with them.

My dream is for Trump to be semi competitive still during next year's WHCD and Obama to bring him up and then say "what do you call someone who makes disparaging comments about an entire ethnicity and broadly stereotypes them? A racist."

Would you count January if it had positive job growth? I'm guessing you would. I'm just being fair and balanced.

No, I wouldn't. IMO, you start at when the fiscal year starts, which starts on Oct 1st.

This isn't about fudging numbers. I'd do this with every administration. It's bullshit to count the first few months for or against the President not counting any legislation they pass that immediately goes into effect.

You want fair and balanced but you make your starting point the opposite of fair and balanced.

I always knew they would. They are desperate to get Fiorina up there.

Her omission from the debate would have been ridiculous, assuming the polling holds up. The criteria was fucking stupid.

edit: Apparently, anyone in the top 10 7/16-8/10 is in and anyone also in the top 10 from 8/6-9/10 is also in, so in theory, everyone could be in.

Christie, who is in 10th, can only drop out if he goes to 11th in the TOTAL polling, not the new criteria.

Can be 11 people on stage.

Rand pretty much can't drop out.

Bernie is SO the President we need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU2P6OAbevw (top-notch 2010 Senate speech railing against Republicans who claim they are concerned about the national debt, whilst their tax breaks for the uber rich and corporations adds countless billions to our debt).

However, if Bernie really wants a shot at winning the Presidency, he should temper his tax policy, by stating that he will not, after all, propose a hike in the top rate of tax or remove the cap on Social Security payments, as plenty of us dream of scoring a million dollar salary (or winning the lottery) and the government taking say 50%, let alone 90%, is outrageous. No, instead he should fund his very noble proposals by closing the loop holes that allow mega corporations to pay zero or sometimes negative tax (they get multi-million dollar tax refunds...), which I believe a very high percentage of the population support wholeheartedly.

The cause: a lack of national public polling following the August 6 debate has so far provided only three new polls to determine the lineup for the Reagan Presidential Debate, according to a CNN statement.

It's actually called that?

Sv88L9K.gif

pigeon

Banned

Sorry. I didn't originally link because they're just hit pieces, but here they are:

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/1/9234743/case-against-joe-biden
http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/08/joe...l?mid=twitter-share-thecut&curator=MediaREDEF

Also, for those wondering, the Atlantic has the scoop on what the hell the gefilte fish email was about.

the atlantic said:
It began with an invasive species—the Asian carp—threatening the waterways and lakes of the Midwest. One Illinois company, Schafer Fisheries, led the way in turning the nuisance fish into a source of profits and jobs, in the process helping to keep its numbers in check. By 2010, it was processing 12 million pounds of carp each year. But American consumers wouldn’t buy it, leaving Schafer to find markets abroad.

It dispatched millions of pounds of fish to China, Japan, and Europe. And in the winter of 2010, it processed 198 tons of frozen carp to send to Israel as gefilte fish, a delicacy particularly popular at Passover meals. When the first two containers arrived, though, they got stuck on the piers in the port of Haifa. They faced a 120 percent tariff, because they fell outside the bounds of a bilateral free-trade agreement. Don Manzullo, an Illinois congressman at the time, begged for intervention, to save Passover in Israel—and jobs back home. “My district already has 25 percent unemployment, and Israel’s going to jack it up to 30 percent,” he told Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren.

When Clinton appeared before the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Manzullo seized the chance to grill her. It “sounds to me like one of those issues that should rise to the highest levels of our government,” said Clinton. “I will take that mission on.”

Click the link for the exciting ending! http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2015/09/re-gefilte-fish/403102/

Perfect analogy.

Romney has to be kicking himself. Bush's PAC money scared him off. In reality we're seeing PAC money doesn't matter that much if no one gives a shit about the candidate. Bush is running out of campaign money because he doesn't have a small donor base. Hillary and Sanders are destroying republicans on that front, with Cruz not far behind. Carson is raising decent money too.

Romney is the superior republican candidate IMO, and could do well against Hillary (not saying he'd win). He'd have no problem taking on Trump, hell he's been doing quite a bit of it. His initial 2016 plan was to run to Jeb's right, and I think he could get away with that still while avoiding shifting to the right of Trump (on immigration for instance).

I think Romney would lose by a larger margin than he did in 2012 but then again I'd say that about every GOP candidate running.

The establishment just wants what they can't have, if Romney jumped in he'd have all the same baggage he had in 2012. A record he can't run on, his uncomfortable attempts at seeming relatable and holy shit those tax returns.

NeoXChaos

No one has spent a dime on negative ads yet on each other. We have not reached January either. Saying Jeb is finished this early is silly. Saying Trump is finished this early is silly. Saying Walker is finished this early is silly. Saying Rubio is finished this early is silly.

Jonathan Bernstein (well-known political scientist and blogger) has consistently stated that modeling shows the race as a dead heat with a possible advantage to Republicans. I got into a bit of a debate with him on his blog once about the electoral advantage - he argues that it basically doesn't exist, and that a popular vote by Republicans would definitely win them the WH even if it were a very slight advantage.

Kind of interesting to read takes like that given how confident PoliGAF is about 2016.

I don't see why anyone would seriously think Romney would have a better chance at beating Trump. Maybe if he wasn't the nominee against Obama, but Trump has already called Romney and McCain losers who should have beaten Obama easily and apparently his base agrees with him.

NeoXChaos

Jonathan Bernstein (well-known political scientist and blogger) has consistently stated that modeling shows the race as a dead heat with a possible advantage to Republicans. I got into a bit of a debate with him on his blog once about the electoral advantage - he argues that it basically doesn't exist, and that a popular vote by Republicans would definitely win them the WH even if it were a very slight advantage.

Kind of interesting to read takes like that given how confident PoliGAF is about 2016.

links to your discussion with him?

Grexeno

The idea of a permanent/semi-permanent Democratic advantage in presidential elections is completely different from anything that has ever really happened before in American politics. It's not surprising that a lot of people are slow to get on board.

teiresias

I'm jumping ahead and wondering what a "concession" speech would even look like from Trump after losing the GE. Yes, the quotes are deliberate. I can't imagine what would come pouring out of his mouth after a GE loss on a nationally televised concession.

And if the base gets their Trump-wish and they lose with the Great Right Hope they think is all they've been missing to win the Presidency back I fully expect Lord of the Flies-level of craziness by those in attendance at GOP election night parties and in Trump headquarters. Full on tearing off their clothes, lighting torches, devolving before our eyes into lower functioning forms of primate and clustering into groups of tribes for survival, and putting "left wing media" reporters in attendance at those gatherings on spits over fires to cook for sustenance.

Averon

I don't see why anyone would seriously think Romney would have a better chance at beating Trump. Maybe if he wasn't the nominee against Obama, but Trump has already called Romney and McCain losers who should have beaten Obama easily and apparently his base agrees with him.

I agree. I don't don't see what Romney brings to the table that would entice Trump supporters or other GOP supporters to give him a third shot. He's still the same guy with the same baggage that lost to Barack Obama in 2012.

Tarkus

Also, people love their precious poll results, yet they don't think about Joe Blow Farmer or the old timers who would never participate in a poll or survey and are very likely Republicans.

Here's a recent one: http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-08-24/the-2016-election-five-leading-indicators

4 and 5. How is Barack Obama doing, and how is the economy doing? Candidates, campaigns and the issues aren't irrelevant to election outcomes. But they're less important than whether people are looking to throw the bums out or not, and the two most important indicators of this are found in presidential approval ratings and economic statistics. Right now, both point to a fairly close election, perhaps with a small advantage for the Republican ticket. But as today's stock-market turmoil reminds us, it's still early.

I'll be looking at all the polls, I admit. But I know even the Iowa and New Hampshire voter surveys aren't going to tell us anything until around Thanksgiving (and general-election polling isn't predictive until well into 2016).

It'll be interesting if he's right, and in 2016 Hillary suddenly finds herself down a few points in polling averages instead of being up 5-6 points like she is now.

I'm kind of skeptical about "modeling" in the general election. These things happen once every four years, and elections with no incumbents have tended to happen only every 8 years. Polling is also a lot better than it used to be. You're running a model based on a very limited number of data points that doesn't reflect superior data collection in recent years.

Here's a recent one: http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-08-24/the-2016-election-five-leading-indicators

It'll be interesting if he's right, and in 2016 Hillary suddenly finds herself down a few points in polling averages instead of being up 5-6 points like she is now.

I'm kind of skeptical about "modeling" in the general election. These things happen once every four years, and elections with no incumbents have tended to happen every 8 years. Polling is also a lot better than it used to be. You're running a model based on a very limited number of data points that doesn't reflect superior data collection in recent years.

What was his 2012 prediction. Obama had middling approval ratings and the economy wasn't good.

NeoXChaos

imrs.php

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-05-07/democrats-electoral-college-edge

imrs.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/05/07/the-electoral-college-challenge-facing-the-republicans-in-2016/

In 2000, the Republicans won the presidential election even though they lost the national popular vote. The same appears unlikely in 2016. To win enough Electoral votes for victory will require making inroads into states that increasingly lean toward the Democrats. As shown in the figure at the top of this post, the estimates from the model I am using suggest that to have a 50 percent chance of winning the Electoral College the Republicans would have to win the popular vote by a margin of between one and two percentage points.

2016: Virginia, Virginia, Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom