• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump is a smart politician so far. He has ran circles around Jeb and Rand. I think he's gonna pick Walker as his VP. Jeb is too toxic with the immigration stuff. Walker is Koch boy and has the support of powerful groups.

Walker is the Koch boy right though I thought. Trump blasted them all for being Koch puppets too.

He's been shitting on everyone so much I honestly have no idea who he's slot as his VP.

Walker is the Koch boy right though I thought. Trump blasted them all for being Koch puppets too.

He's been shitting on everyone so much I honestly have no idea who he's slot as his VP.
Once Trump gets the nom he will have to pivot on some of those things. Tacking Walker will mean he will have the blessing of Sith lords in the background.

HylianTom

Banned
I don't see how Trump could take Walker after how he soundly thrashed Walker's mismanagement of Wisconsin and also mocked his Koch puppet status..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The thing with Carson/Trump, though, is that if by some miracle Carson keeps polling as well or even better than Trump, Trump will HAVE to start criticizing him.

He kind of already indirectly did with his statement about the ridiculous flat tax idea.

I don't see how Trump could take Walker after how he soundly thrashed Walker's mismanagement of Wisconsin and also mocked his Koch puppet status..
I think this happens in politics all the time. Team of Rivals and stuff. Trump has no soul. He sold it to the devil long time ago and he will do anything to win.

The thing with Carson/Trump, though, is that if by some miracle Carson keeps polling as well or even better than Trump, Trump will HAVE to start criticizing him.

He kind of already indirectly did with his statement about the ridiculous flat tax idea.

He's attacking everyone who's at the top of the polls with him. Maybe Rubio? He's not been high enough to garner that much attention / attacks. Seems like Trump might be naive enough to assume he's help with the Latino vote.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He's attacking everyone who's at the top of the polls with him. Maybe Rubio? He's not been high enough to garner that much attention / attacks. Seems like Trump might be naive enough to assume he's help with the Latino vote.

No, he's not. Carson is second right now in most polls and Jeb isn't even close.

HylianTom

Banned
I think this happens in politics all the time. Team of Rivals and stuff. Trump has no soul. He sold it to the devil long time ago and he will do anything to win.
Walker took a hit in my book when a few polls came out showing that his chances of carrying Wisconsin were sketchy at best. He always had that as part of his appeal, but at this point, he doesn't seem to bring much to the table. That, and he's been coming off as a policy lightweight..

(If polling comes back later on showing that he's winning home again, that'd be a big change in his favor)

NeoXChaos

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 2h2 hours ago
While millions are being spent against me in attack ads, they are paid for by the “bosses” and “owners” of candidates. I am self funding.

Said this earlier. They won't get away with the secret takedown

jtb

Banned
Today was the day for both Vox and NY Mag to drop their hit pieces on Biden being basically a lousy senator and lousy liberal, including actually being the author of the 1994 crime bill.

I assume this is basically a horse's head from Hillary, interblog style.

Link?

Walker ended a Fox News interview today by saying "I'll make America great again." right after denying that he ever said he was thinking of building a Canadian wall, I fucking love this guy.

RDreamer

Walker ended a Fox News interview today by saying "I'll make America great again." right after denying that he ever said he was thinking of building a Canadian wall, I fucking love this guy.

But I want a Canadian wall...

... so that I can continue to pretend the Canadians are wildlings and somewhere up north the brotherhood of the night's watch is keeping us safe from them and the others.

ivysaur12

Banned
Coons and Casey come out in favor of the Iran deal. If 9 of the remaining 12 Senate Dems support it they can prevent a vote from even coming up:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...diplomatic-victory/?postshare=221441130436560

Here she comes to save the day.

qQOLBKT.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
Courtesy of Breitbart, a great example of the daily outrage that's fed to the GOP base:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/01/republican-voters-to-go-nuclear-in-september/

Republican Voters to go Nuclear in September

Keep in mind, much of this groundswell against the Republican establishment has occurred in August, while Congress has been in recess. Next week, however, Congress returns to tackle, among other items, Obama’s deal to lift sanctions on Iran and government spending for the year. Another replay of Republican leaders tendency to avoid confrontation with Obama will super-charge outsiders’ momentum.

Government’s spending authority expires at the end of September. Senate Majority Leader Sen. Mitch McConnell has already vowed to avoid any government shutdown, meaning some kind of continuing resolution in spending will have to be passed by the end of the month. House Speaker Rep. John Boehner, who also wants to avoid a shutdown, has suggested short-term spending bills to keep the government open during negotiations.

To the extent that McConnell and Boehner have a legislative strategy, it is to avoid confrontation or legislative controversy and strengthen their political positions at the ballot box. The fundamental flaw in their strategy is that they attained the political position they currently have by promising robust challenges to Obama’s policies.

The voters who powered them to the majority are angry Republicans haven’t kept their promises and, because of a lack of confrontation, less-engaged voters simply assume there is no real meaningful difference between the parties.

While this plays out, there will be no action on ObamaCare or illegal immigration. Congress will also simply watch as Obama regulatory actions undermine any prospect of future economic growth.

Further, it bears overstating that after winning the Senate Majority on a vow to reverse Obama’s abuse of Executive Power on Amnesty, one of the first actions of the Senate Republicans was to grant Obama more Executive Power to pursue a secret trade deal. They also, naturally, took no action on Obama’s abuse of executive authority on immigration. The actions of the Senate Republicans, of course, were heartily supported by the increasingly statist U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

In other words, if you think the political outsiders are doing well in the Presidential primary now, just wait until Republicans in Congress return, openly pursue the agenda of their biggest corporate donors and squander whatever political capital they still have.

The comments are flying, and they are delicious. The anger is palpable.

Note to self: quietly gloat about the budget passing in front of relatives later on this year..

In my long running coverage on republican presidential hopeful and governor of louisiana Bobby Jindal, in today's installment he does battle with the stifling pc atmosphere that has settled atop traditional american values so as to stifle them.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/jindal-fires-back-clinton-surrogate-n418936
Republican presidential candidate Bobby Jindal responded to Hillary Clinton surrogate Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-Texas, Monday morning after Castro took a shot at the governor's language on immigration
The Texas congressman called the rhetoric "very disturbing."

"Now ask yourself this, who gets to decide whether somebody's assimilated enough? Who gets to decide if someone speaks English perfectly enough, so that they're truly American? Or if the color of their skin fits the color of America?" Castro said.
In response, Jindal fired back with this press release provided in advance to NBC News: "Yesterday on CBS, I said those who come here should want to be Americans—they should assimilate, roll up their sleeves and get to work."

"I said that immigration without assimilation is invasion. When did it become politically incorrect to say immigrants should want to be Americans?" Jindal asked.
[Jindal] took the opportunity to hit Clinton hard as well.

"What part of my statement about immigration without assimilation does Hillary Clinton disagree with? Does she think that people who come here shouldn't have to learn English and adopt our values? Or that they shouldn't get to work? Who is Hillary Clinton defending? Who is she trying to protect?" Jindal added.

While this plays out, there will be no action on ObamaCare or illegal immigration. Congress will also simply watch as Obama regulatory actions undermine any prospect of future economic growth.

The delusion won't stop. This economy isn't great but if you can't recognize it's doing pretty well nationally you're a partisan. Obviously various states are doing better/worse than others, and the middle class isn't doing amazing. But still...

Should be fun watching Obama "win" again in September.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The delusion won't stop. This economy isn't great but if you can't recognize it's doing pretty well nationally you're a partisan. Obviously various states are doing better/worse than others, and the middle class isn't doing amazing. But still...

Should be fun watching Obama "win" again in September.

We have about 8 times more net jobs under Obama currently than we did under all 8 years of Bush. Even if the economy isn't great right now (which I don't necessarily think that's the case either), we're doing vastly better than we were under the last Republican reign.

RDreamer

Emperor Obama doesn't even need to run for a 3rd term. His policies will ensure the effects of his bad presidency forever.

Fuchsdh

We have about 8 times more net jobs under Obama currently than we did under all 8 years of Bush. Even if the economy isn't great right now (which I don't necessarily think that's the case either), we're doing vastly better than we were under the last Republican reign.

Which is true, but I feel like when you respond to these outlandish claims with responses like that, you're tacitly buying into the whole "Presidents control the economy" nonsense.

Which is true, but I feel like when you respond to these outlandish claims with responses like that, you're tacitly buying into the whole "Presidents control the economy" nonsense.
That reminds me of a history class i took once. The professor described reagan as a great president who rejuvenated the economy, and then would say clinton achieved nothing of note in his 8 years and had nothing to do with the economy's growth.

Side note - he was saying one time that the iranians gave back the hostages on the day reagan was inaugurated because they knew he wouldnt fuck around and were afraid of him. I said something like, if they were so afraid of him, why didn't they give the hostages back to carter so he would stand a better chance of reelection and they would not have to deal with the wrath of ronald, and he didn't know what to say after that and just continued the lesson.

Is this counting 2009 net job losses in Obama's column?

HylianTom

Banned
326 would be another one of those elections where the news media try their damnedest to sell the "DEAD HEAT!!!" narrative while we sit here and giggle, waiting to see how each individual state and Senate race shakes-out.

Trump just released a Jeb praising Hillary Instagram troll ad in response to Jeb's "Trump used to be a Democrat! I hate prisoners more than he does!" ad.

https://instagram.com/p/7GXcgxGhbG/

The Trump team is 1000000x better at this campaign stuff than Jeb's team.

Something tells me Trump isn't using a lot of old school political types to run his social media stuff.

This attack is actually quite good. If it was a TV commercial, Jeb! would be shitting himself.

Landslide is a relative term especially as politics get more polarized. You're not going to see 400+EV wins again anytime soon.

Way things work, everything is dead heat right until the election, at which point anything that doesnt cause recounts all over the country is a landslide victory.

Better than anyone's, really. Dude is pulling some obama-level stuff in his republican microcosm. Went from a focus-fired joke that no one expected to be on top to the preeminent frontrunner.

One wonders what kinda shift on rethoric he'll employ if he makes it to the general.

Can't help but be legit scared of Trump making it into the General Election.

Bush was dumb as a nail but showed charisma over Gore, who had the personality of a nail. I feel it's going to be a similar kind of race, but Hilary edges out.

I'm amazed that so few people seem to be discussing the positive impact* on gas prices that the Iran deal will have. Usually gas prices increase in the summer and lead to silly politics; I still remember McCain's gas tax holiday nonsense in the summer of 2008, plus Hillary tried the same bullshit earlier that year against Obama.

*less positive impact for Americans working in the gas/drilling industries.

Can't help but be legit scared of Donald "When did we beat Japan at anything?" Trump making it into the General Election.

Bush was dumb as a nail but showed charisma over Gore, who had the personality of a nail. I feel it's going to be a similar kind of race, but Hilary edges out.

If you think a Trump vs Hillary contest would be close, you're not really paying attention.

It's about demographics, man.

Can't help but be legit scared of Trump making it into the General Election.

Obama's comedy writers destroyed Trump back in 2011 so maybe Hillary can train up with them.

I'm amazed that so few people seem to be discussing the positive impact* on gas prices that the Iran deal will have. Usually gas prices increase in the summer and lead to silly politics; I still remember McCain's gas tax holiday nonsense in the summer of 2008, plus Hillary tried the same bullshit earlier that year against Obama.

*less positive impact for Americans working in the gas/drilling industries.

Perhaps my favorite moment of the 2008 campaign: https://youtu.be/sK-LEyyf7d4?t=187

"Is there anyone else is that's tired... of paying four dollars a da uh a bux! Four dollars a gallon for gasoline!"

Plinko

Something tells me Trump isn't using a lot of old school political types to run his social media stuff.

This attack is actually quite good. If it was a TV commercial, Jeb! would be shitting himself.

And this Trump campaign should be a carbon blueprint for democrats in the future. I still am stunned at how terrible the democratic party is with messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom