• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
There have already been 6 or 7 investigations run and they have released their findings. The most prominent one did say it found no wrongdoing.
And this is a select committee tasked with issuing a report. Which answers the question asked "why is it still ongoing?" Until it issues its report, it'll keep existing.

As an aside any report that found no wrongdoing is a farce. (And this will include Gowdy's report.) There was a cover up of a organized cover up of criminal actions.

Of course, the GOP doesn't care about the latter two, just the first one because they support the latter two.

This panel is nothing but a witch hunt and is exploiting the lives that were lost in Benghazi. As for the emails? lol

While undoubtedly correct, one should also ponder how one would react if a proeminent republican figure had done that sorta beeswax with the emails.

Which serves to once again remind us that this whole email mess could've very easily been completely avoided. Conditio sine qua non puts this noise squarely at her feet.

I mean, i sure would fucking hope that democrats did all they could (and then some) to try to drag, say, that dick Issa over the coals if places had been swapped.

HylianTom

Banned
Today will be a bit fun: KentuckyCumDump drama in the morning, The Don & Reince Hour of Power in the afternoon. And there's always a wild card in this cycle, it seems - always something unexpected.

benjipwns

Banned
A close associate tells POLITICO that Donald Trump plans to sign a loyalty pledge Thursday that would bind him to endorse the Republican nominee, and would preclude a third-party run.

Trump made the stunning decision, which he has long resisted, to avoid complications in getting listed on primary ballots, and to take away an attack line in the next debate, the associate said.

Trump is certainly unpredictable, and campaign manager Corey Lewandowski would not confirm the plan. "I don't think you can 'expect' ANYTHING from Mr. Trump," Lewandowski said in a phone interview.
TRUMP 2016: EXPECT NOTHING

There's no way the leadership is gonna pick Jeb if Trump actually signs that pledge. Are they?

Ignoring the fact that theres no reason for The Don to sign that pledge, since he hasnt discarded an independent run when pressed during the very first debate and still polls first by a very wide margin...

No, seems far more likely that if he pledges, the RNC will then feel free to go ballistic on him. It is the embodiment of an Old Boys Club, after all. The RNC abhors someone like Trump, and with good reason. They know that there aint a chance in hell he'll play ball if he becomes the leader. Dude is a trendsetter, not follower.

The really interesting bit is how Trump is running a near perfect attack campaign against his current opponents, tho. Those short vids he ran on jeb? They can be straight lifted and reused by whoever's the dem nominee after the primaries.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Sign the pledge and back out of it. I can see it and it will be glorious to watch it unfold.

Besides what does Trump owe the GOP after a failed nomination? Nothing.

pigeon

Banned
While undoubtedly correct, one should also ponder how one would react if a proeminent republican figure had done that sorta beeswax with the emails.

They did, it happened, and it was a complete nonissue. And is a complete nonissue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy

I mean, i sure would fucking hope that democrats did all they could (and then some) to try to drag, say, that dick Issa over the coals if places had been swapped.

I mean, I think this is a little bit of a weird position. Either you think there was meaningful wrongdoing or there wasn't. I don't think there was meaningful wrongdoing, so no, I don't think targeting a GOP politician for doing it would be useful.

They did, it happened, and it was a complete nonissue. And is a complete nonissue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy

I mean, I think this is a little bit of a weird position. Either you think there was meaningful wrongdoing or there wasn't. I don't think there was meaningful wrongdoing, so no, I don't think targeting a GOP politician for doing it would be useful.

The position that "if you can use a fuckup to create a narrative of distrust against someone, you should take advantage of it (especially if that someone is your chief opposition)" seems weird to you?

NeoXChaos

He didn't even need to run as a Republican. There was nothing stopping him from running as an Independent from the beginning. He has a reason for his madness.

GnawtyDog

Banned
He didn't even need to run as a Republican. There was nothing stopping him from running as an Independent from the beginning. He has a reason for his madness.

Nah... Trump, just like Bernie know a thing or two about the political process in the states. If you want to be heard you need to roll with a national party to get on the debate stage.

pigeon

Banned
The position that "if you can use a fuckup to create a narrative of distrust against someone, you should take advantage of it (especially if that someone is your chief opposition)" seems weird to you?

It's weird to me to try to be fair and balanced about it.

If you're being practical, then this is a nonissue, in which case the practical position is to be consistent and say that it's a nonissue for both parties.

If you're seeking political advantage then this is an opportunity to create a narrative. That's perfectly reasonable.

But if you're seeking political advantage then it makes no sense to be consistent and say "well, it makes sense that my opponent is creating a false narrative because I'd do the same thing." The correct political position is to be wildly inconsistent on this issue and create a counternarrative that your opponent is being dishonest and creating a false narrative.

It's weird to me that you are saying "I'd be opportunistic about this, so I think it's fair for my opponent to be opportunistic as well."

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So
Uhm
The economist posted...
something

20150905_LDP001_0.jpg

Perry Campaign Has No Staff in New Hampshire

Rick Perry's presidential campaign has lost its entire staff in New Hampshire, according to a former top adviser there to the former governor.

"There is no staff in New Hampshire," Mike Dennehy said Wednesday, a day after word spread that one of Perry's remaining staffers in the Granite State had defected to Ohio Gov. John Kasich's campaign.

Dennehy, who is no longer working for Perry's campaign in a formal capacity, said he had personally encouraged the New Hampshire staff to look for other work. Dennehy said he does not plan to join another campaign.

Perry's presidential campaign reduced its team earlier this week in another early voting state, Iowa, to a single paid staffer.

Oops.

NeoXChaos

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_90315.pdf

2016 General Election Match Ups Close

PPP's newest national poll finds that Hillary Clinton generally holds modest leads over the Republican field for President, with Ben Carson faring the strongest among the GOP hopefuls.

Carson earns a tie with Clinton at 44%, and he actually leads Bernie Sanders 42/36 in a head to head. Carson is the only declared candidate with a positive favorability rating- 41% of voters nationally see him positively to only 30% who have a negative opinion. He earns a tie with Clinton on the basis of a 43/35 advantage with independents.

The other candidates who come really close to Clinton are Donald Trump and Carly Fiorina, who are each down by just 2. Fiorina trails Clinton 45/43, and is down 39/38 to Sanders. Trump is down just 2 points as well at 46/44, and he leads Sanders 43/42. It used to be that nominating Trump looked like it would be an unmitigated disaster for the GOP but as he's gotten stronger in Republican polls, he's also gotten stronger in general election polling and is now doing better against Clinton than the perceived 'electable' candidate trio of Bush, Rubio, and Walker. Interestingly Joe Biden actually does far better than both Clinton and Sanders against Trump, with a 6 point advantage at 47/41. Biden joins Carson as the second person with a positive rating in this poll at 43/40.

The news of Trump possibly forgoing a third party bid is very good for the GOP. We find that he would actually earn more support than Jeb Bush in a three way contest, getting 27% to Bush's 23% and leaving Clinton with a landslide victory at 42%. Bush leads Trump only 46/44 with Republican voters in that scenario, and gets 31% of independents to only 19% for Bush.

The weakest performing Republicans against Clinton are Scott Walker who trails by 7 at 47/40, and Mike Huckabee who trails by 6 at 48/42. In the middle are Ted Cruz who's down 5 at 47/42, John Kasich who's down 5 at 44/39, and Marco Rubio who's down at 47/43.
We tested Jeb Bush against Clinton, Sanders, and Biden to get a sense of their relative strength as general election candidates. Clinton (a 4 point lead over Bush at 46/42) and Biden (a 3 point lead over Bush at 44/41) do quite similarly. Sanders does a little bit worse, trailing Bush by a point at 41/40.

Finally we rounded up a bunch of the 'joke candidates' who have filed with the FEC to see who America's favorite is from that crew. The winner is Captain Crunch with 17%, followed by Deez Nuts at 9%, Beast Mode at 5%, Queen Elsa Ice at 4%, Butt Stuff at 3%, Cranky Pants at 2%, and Limberbutt McCubbins and 'Murican Cookies each at 1%.

Polling joke candidates has been fun, but we're going to take a break now and stick to serious people like Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and Kanye.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ben Carson would get obliterated by Hillary in a debate.

Everybody said this about George W. Bush. Carson is just as folksy and speaks just as empty as Bush did. Average Joe American doesn't care because he doesn't do research and, to him, any person could be president.

To me, Carson's the one I worry about most when it comes to being electable.

Everybody said this about George W. Bush. Carson is just as folksy and speaks just as empty as Bush did. Average Joe American doesn't care because he doesn't do research and, to him, any person could be president.

To me, Carson's the one I worry about most when it comes to being electable.

Bush was debating Gore though. I guess one can argue that Hillary is about as likable, but people really reacted poorly to Gore and not what was debated.

I also think Carson holds enough extreme and unlikable positions on things like homosexuality that he won't be able to escape. He's a complete buffoon with foreign affairs too.

It's weird to me that you are saying "I'd be opportunistic about this, so I think it's fair for my opponent to be opportunistic as well."

Not fair. Fair doesn't factor. Expected. Parable of the scorpion and the frog and allathat.

And yes, of course you should run a conter-narrative. Which the democrats are often terrible at doing, which then brings us to things like polling that indicates that voters think republicans are more apt at protecting the country from foreign threats. (or something along those lines. can't quite remember the term used)

I don't get the Ben Carson appeal. He has zero charisma.

"Self-made" black man that tells other black people to stop being lazy + not a politician. Runs a pretty decent bootstraps rethoric. There's more to it than that, obviously, probably something related to his religious views.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Latest Monmouth poll has Scott Walker at a whopping 3%.

He's rising, guys! He's rising!

"Self-made" black man that tells other black people to stop being lazy + not a politician. Runs a pretty decent bootstraps rethoric. There's more to it than that, obviously, probably something related to his religious views.

Don't forget "Completely denies that systemic racism exists." That's a huge plus for GOP voters.

I am an AP Government teacher for high school students. I had this idea to collect lots of campaign materials from all of the candidates, and make a 2016 election wall.

Anyone know how one would go about collecting said swag without paying a fortune to buy it off the campaign websites for 10x cost?

I think a lot of it is the bolded. As we've seen racists don't like to be called racists. Carson saying things like:

We have purveyors of hatred who take every single incident between people of two races and try to make a race war out of it, and drive wedges into people,this does not need to be done

Males racists feel warm cozy and validated.

Don't forget "Completely denies that systemic racism exists." That's a huge plus for GOP voters.

Basically this.

If they don't email you anything just copy and paste stuff off their website and affix a picture of the candidate next to it.
Make sure you give bobby and bernie a good spot for me

Will try it!

Who would you recommend sending it to? Their state office?

Edit: My state doesn't have many offices yet it looks like.

Every site for every candidate should have a contact/email button like Jeb's, regardless of state. Hit them. Nothing to lose but a bit of time, anyway.

You just gotta suffer through their sites until you find it, is all.

Hell, might as well tell them that you secretly support their candidate but can't openly say it and would put their materials front and center.

Play the game.

I like the cut of your jib.

Rep. Kline (MN-02, R+2) to retire. This will be an expensive race to watch.
Yeeeeeeeessssss.

Obama barely won this district in 2012 and Franken won it in 2014. Should definitely be a top pickup target for Democrats and top defense seat for the GOP. Don't screw it up MN

Now if we could just do something about good ol' "moderate" Paulsen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom