• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Apparently Hillary is learning all the wrong lessons from Obama.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/against-the-grain/hillary-clinton-is-learning-all-the-wrong-lessons-from-obama-20150414

In polls, a clear majority of voters are saying they prefer change over the policies of the past. They're deeply dissatisfied with the direction of the country. And they're looking for new leaders to represent them. Clinton falls short on all those key counts. Her main advantages going forward are that she's a Democrat—at a time when more adults identify with Democrats than Republicans—and she can widen the gender gap running to be the first female president. If she wins, it won't be because of her political skill, but because of the Democratic machine.

Given Newt's prediction about gas prices I would suggest a lunar colony will happen under a Democratic president.

I dunno, NASA seems to have always been more of a Republican pet project. First as a missile test-bed, and then a "Hey look at our tremendous American dong!" national pride gesture. If W. Bush's NASA plans had continued we'd be in the final steps of getting the permanent lunar base ready. Obama slashed the shit out of NASA. He put a whole "safety/lets build robots first" spin on the cuts, but they've always struck me as bullshit.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Bingo. Look at every recent GOP candidate in the general election. Walker doesn't fit that role at all.

Walker is the guy that conservatives like and republicans in general pretend to get behind early. Then, when the primary starts, it starts the, "Really? This guy? He's got no shot in the general election" cycle and eventually they go to a guy more reasonable.

Jeb Bush is the only one like that this time around.

If Walker is smart and runs exactly like Jeb on the issues so he looks as moderate as him in debates and interviews, he could easily keep the advantage on Jeb in general election polling if only because his last name isn't Bush.

Use both the "I have best chance" and "I have conservative achievements" arguments and he'll win the primary easily.

I'm just not sure he's smart enough to avoid saying some really dumb stuff in interviews.

National Journal is right. Republicans suck so much any Democrat could win just for being a Democrat.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If Walker is smart and runs exactly like Jeb on the issues so he looks as moderate as him in debates and interviews, he could easily keep the advantage on Jeb in general election polling if only because his last name isn't Bush.

Use both the "I have best chance" and "I have conservative achievements" arguments and he'll win the primary easily.

I'm just not sure he's smart enough to avoid saying some really dumb stuff in interviews.

But Bush, like Romney, has some positive accomplishments that could appeal to people in a general election. Walker doesn't. His state lags in jobs compared to surrounding states, and that's what he uses as his big accomplishment.

But Bush, like Romney, has some positive accomplishments that could appeal to people in a general election. Walker doesn't. His state lags in jobs compared to surrounding states, and that's what henuses as his big accomplishment.

I'd think if the Republican primary electorate paid attention the economic standing of the candidate's home state Jindal would've given up any aspirations long ago.

Averon

Hopefully this is just some "shiny new toy shit" and we don't have to deal with this for the next year and a half...

Ha! Don't hold your breathe.
It is far more likely stories like this will be the norm, not the exception, from now until election day.

ivysaur12

Banned
I've literally never tipped in a Chipotle, and I tip on many thing. It's almost like --

"We get a bunch of tips," said Wright, who is a Republican and says he isn't planning on voting for Clinton. "If we're doing our job right, people tip."

Oh.

How can I tell if they've done their job right before I eat the burrito? The only way to fuck it up is to not wrap it properly, and I won't be able to determine that until it starts (or doesn't start) falling apart.

Cheebo

Banned
Someone please tell me this tipgate thing is a joke. I saw cnn covering it earlier today and couldn't believe this is real news.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My Qdoba doesn't expect tips and they have no jar.

Again, Qdoba > Chipotle. Come at me, PoliGAF.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Not always, usually juniors that get perm'ed are really recent. Benji's been around for a while so who knows. Kinda hoping he'll be back.

Pretty sure he'll be back. Give it two weeks or so.

In other news, Chief Justice Roberts reported for jury duty in a Maryland court:

One potential juror who was considered for a civil trial in Montgomery County on Wednesday morning could have brought a lot to the jury room. He’s the chief justice of the United States.

John G. Roberts Jr. showed up for jury duty in Rockville like other civic-minded citizens and was being considered for a civil trial in a case involving a car crash. He answered two questions in open court about relatives — noting that his sister in Indiana is a nurse, and his brother-in-law was with Indiana State Police — but none about his own line of work, which would be listed on a questionnaire. He then talked with attorneys and the judge privately at the bench.

Roberts was not selected, and left court without comment.

Elizabeth Warren, by Hillary Clinton
TIME 100 2015

It was always going to take a special kind of leader to pick up Ted Kennedy’s mantle as senior Senator from Massachusetts—champion of working families and scourge of special interests. Elizabeth Warren never lets us forget that the work of taming Wall Street’s irresponsible risk taking and reforming our financial system is far from finished. And she never hesitates to hold powerful people’s feet to the fire: bankers, lobbyists, senior government officials and, yes, even presidential aspirants.

Elizabeth Warren’s journey from janitor’s daughter to Harvard professor to public watchdog to U.S. Senator has been driven by an unflagging determination to level the playing field for hardworking American families like the one she grew up with in Oklahoma. She fights so hard for others to share in the American Dream because she lived it herself.

Clinton is a former U.S. Secretary of State and a 2016 presidential candidate
http://time.com/3823064/elizabeth-warren-2015-time-100/

HylianTom

Banned
The stove returns..?

Marco Rubio: I’d attend a gay wedding

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida), the newest and youngest official Republican candidate for president, has said he believes marriage should be “traditional”—between a man and a woman.

So Fusion’s Jorge Ramos asked him: If someone in his family or on his staff were gay and getting married, would he attend the wedding?

“If it’s somebody in my life that I care for, of course I would,” Rubio told Ramos in an interview on Wednesday.

“I’m not going to hurt them simply because I disagree with a choice they’ve made or because I disagree with a decision they’ve made, or whatever it may be,” he added. “Ultimately, if someone that you care for and is part of your family has decided to move in one direction or another or feels that way because of who they love, you respect that because you love them.”

http://fusion.net/video/120998/marco-rubio-gay-marriage-jorge-ramos-interview/

This still blows my mind. This would've been deadly ten, twenty years ago. Let's see what reactions we get!

Meanwhile, TIME has a great cover this week..
final-ginsburg.jpg

I can see Hillary picking Warren to be a cabinet member if she gets elected.

I wouldn't expect that type of Obama-esque shrewdness from the Clintons. It would make sense to add her to the cabinet to neutralize her, as Obama did to Hillary by making her Sec of State; she wouldn't be able to criticize the administration while being a member of it. The Clintons will do what they always do: reward loyalists with placement. Warren will be left out, and stir trouble in the senate by opposing corporatist policy (and nominations).

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah, I wondered about that too. I haven't followed pop music in over a decade, so I'm not sure what's going-on with that.

Edit:
I really, really want a visual moment at one of the GOP primary debates where the moderator instructs, "raise your hand if you'd go to a same sex couple's wedding."

So much creative fun to be had on this issue, lol..

The Koch Brothers made the Time 100 list and Rand Paul wrote the blurb. It's unreal.

link

Unlike many crony capitalists who troll the halls of Congress looking for favors, the Kochs have consistently lobbied against special-interest politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom