• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
4-14-2015_01.png
4-14-2015_02.png
4-14-2015_05.png

Main reason you oppose legalizing use of marijuana…

“It’s a drug and it has considerable side effects. It should not be used recreationally, only for medicinal use.” Female, 20

“It’s a drug that makes you stupid. It affects your judgment and motor skills and in the long term it makes you lazy.” Male, 52

“It gets too many people on drugs. It would put too many drugs on the street, we don’t need that.” Male, 84

“I’m thinking of my child. I don’t want her to try this. I know it’s not good for her health or brain.” Female, 33

“We have enough addictive things that are already legal. We don’t need another one.” Male, 42

4-14-2015_07.png
4-14-2015_08.png

http://www.grasstopsusa.com/df041415.html
Top Ten Reasons Why Hitlery Will Never Be President
GrassTopsUSA Exclusive Commentary
By Don Feder
April 14, 2015

Think Evita after Botox treatments. Think Madame Defarge on a bad hair day. Think Lady Macbeth with serious issues ("Out, out, damned bimbo!").

To listen to the babbling heads, you'd think the Goldwater girl-turned-Alinsky-disciple could start preparing her acceptance speech (maybe Eleanor Roosevelt will help her write it). "Ooh, she'll raise so much money." "Ooh, women want a woman president." In the immortal words of General Anthony McAuliffe: "Nuts!"

Win the White House? Hillary couldn't win a popularity contest if she was the only contestant.

Here are the Top Ten Reasons Hillary Rodham Clinton is more likely to become a Victoria's Secret lingerie model than the next president:

10. The Hideousness Factor – Lyndon Baines Johnson was the last profoundly ugly candidate to be elected president, and he was a legacy of the martyred JFK. Voters don't want a leader who looks frazzled or frumpy. We're told that Lincoln was too homely to be elected president in an age of television and paparazzi. But Lincoln's homely face had a dignity, a gravitas. If nothing else, we want a face that reassures us, not one that scares us, a la Night of the Living Alinskyites.

Conservatives might as well get in their licks in now. After Iowa, we won't have Hillary to kick around any more.

tanod

when is my burrito
My proposal for Social Security and Medicare fixing (FICA) is called the Entitlement Accountability Act.

Basically, change the payroll tax rate annually based on an actuarial analysis. Many state governments do this for unemployment insurance. The concept is each year, the FICA accounting department sets the tax rate depending on the amount of revenue needed to fund the expected benefit payments for the next year + a safety factor.

So now the tax rate is 6.2% and Social Security is over-funded right now so under my system, our tax rate might go down to 4% or 5%.

Medicare/Medicaid is under-funded so we pay 1.45% now but that should probably be higher like 2% or 3%.

My system accomplishes many things:
1) Gets idiot politicians away from American society's long-term acceptance of these programs and the benefits they provide
2) Gives people a more direct understanding of where their money is going since the tax each year is only funding enough to cover current benefits
3) Because of #2, it subjects the FICA program administrators to closer taxpayer scrutiny and incentivizes reducing waste and fraud and increasing efficiency
4) Gets FICA out of the budget process so Congress does not get to use the current over-funding of Social Security as a slush fund / compensating for their irresponsible spending.
5) Simpler accounting of our national debt. The intergovernmental accounting with the general fund selling bonds to the Social Security administration is asinine and needlessly complicated. The current design seems to purposely confuse taxpayers and obfuscate the real spending issue in Washington DC. *cough* defense *cough*

Such a good idea that it will never happen.

Separate points
1) I don't think that removing the cap on Social Security is fair. Social Security wages are capped because there is a maximum benefit payout. Medicare does not have a cap because there is no maximum payout.
2) Medicare benefits are not based on a person's pre-retirement or post-retirement income. The only way medicare could get fairer is basing premiums on means-testing.
3) They should lower the retirement age back down to 60/62/65. Just because people have been living longer in general since they started it in 1960, that doesn't mean people are in good-enough physical or mental condition to keep working (fuck you Alzheimer's). Then combine that with the fact that people are working more hours per week than they were 60 years ago.
4) Fuck you Tip O Neill and Ronald Reagan

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Removing the cap is fair because SS does benefit those who don't draw from it as well, really it benefits everyone in increased spending which helps drive the economy and as a result all those people the cap is supposed to protect are making money. So they don't see the direct benefits, but let's not pretend they don't benefit.

pigeon

Banned
Any hypothetical dream plan for FICA should involve eliminating FICA altogether and rolling it into the general fund. FICA is an incredibly poorly designed tax that serves primarily to penalize low-income households without making it obvious.

Like everyone ever operates under the assumption.

Which means its about bloody time that democrats should force a change in narrative. That discussion has been stuck in Ross Perot times for far too long. Ain't winning any republican votes over being fiscally conservative either.

My question was regarding the benefits cut, not how SS was funded.

And why will they have to start reducing payments?

benjipwns

Banned
I just reaaaaalllly want to point out something from what I posted above from Pew.

The third response here:
4-14-2015_05.png

19%.

Well, 19% of 44%, so 8.36%.

benjipwns

Banned
The Boomer line on the second graph is pretty funny.
Their kids moved out and they want to revisit their glory days that they imagine entirely differently from the reality! A black President and a woman President! That's totally the extent of what we envisioned! Let's take a hit of Betty's medicinal (for her hip joints) pot!

tanod

when is my burrito
Any hypothetical dream plan for FICA should involve eliminating FICA altogether and rolling it into the general fund. FICA is an incredibly poorly designed tax that serves primarily to penalize low-income households without making it obvious.

Philosophically and practically, sales taxes are so much worse. Republican governors love that shit and it's the worst tax of them all as far as disproportionately affecting low-income households.

However, sales tax does have a place. The appropriate use of sales taxes I see is for fuel (if it goes to fund roads and bridge maintenance, trucking / construction / businesses use the most fuel and put the most wear on our roads) and hotel accommodations (tax levied to take advantage of out-of-state tourists).

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I don't think this discussion is allowed without Meta present.

And accounted for.

What are we talking about?

EDIT: Oh, is it this?

However, sales tax does have a place. The appropriate use of sales taxes I see is for fuel (if it goes to fund roads and bridge maintenance, trucking / construction / businesses use the most fuel and put the most wear on our roads)

Fuel taxes are excise taxes, not sales taxes.

OK, semantic problem solved. Let's get back to business.

KingK

So going by that marijuana graph, why isn't the democratic party coming out in full support of legalization? It would hype up the base and is very popular with independents. What's the downside?

LBJ might have been uglier, but Richard Nixon was still profoundly ugly. That's not debatable.
When did you get back to poliGAF? I've missed your foreign policy analysis in here.

benjipwns

Banned
So going by that marijuana graph, why isn't the democratic party coming out in full support of legalization? It would hype up the base and is very popular with independents. What's the downside?
As Hillary said, you can't end the war on drugs, there's too much money in it.

Since I should at least post a source for this once in my life:
Maerker: In Mexico, there are those who propose not keeping going with this battle and legalize drug trafficking and consumption. What is your opinion?

Clinton: I don't think that will work. I mean, I hear the same debate. I hear it in my country. It is not likely to work. There is just too much money in it, and I don't think that—you can legalize small amounts for possession, but those who are making so much money selling, they have to be stopped.

Because they're the democratic party.

By that i mean that, while that may be the case on a national level, you'll have a bunch of twats on a state/municipal level playing republican lite and thinking that they fuuuuucked if they raise the issue.

Or what benji sed, corruption is fine too.

While, first of all, many of the people in Congress are 60-80 year old white guys, who, even though they're Democrats, may not support marijuana legalization personally.

Second, it's not the number of people who support it, but where they are. For example, if likely voters Ohio, Florida, and say, Virginia all actually oppose marijuana legalization, it doesn't really matter that everybody in Cali wants to blaze up.

Third, it's a lower priority for most people. So, coming out for it will get you attacked by the Republican's, while not getting much of a boost of a support from the hordes of pot smokers. Same thing with things, unfortunately, like climate change.

Finally, as always, politicians are behind the times and think their constiuents are more conservative than they actually are (http://themonkeycage.org/2013/04/22...tions-and-prospects-for-constituency-control/).

HylianTom

Banned

There is a good chance that there will be marijuana measures on the ballot in several states on Election Day 2016.

Nevada is a definite go for a 2016 vote:
http://ballotpedia.org/Nevada_Marijuana_Legalization_Initiative_(2016)

There are efforts in other states for 2016 ballot measures as well.
(Of note: California, Michigan, Maine, Arizona, and Missouri.)

Ohio has two ballot measures being considered, one for 2015 and one for 2016. I'm already imagining 2016 turnout among young voters.. mm..

Third, it's a lower priority for most people. So, coming out for it will get you attacked by the Republican's, while not getting much of a boost of a support from the hordes of pot smokers. Same thing with things, unfortunately, like climate change.

I wonder... sure, if you frame it only as a means of getting pot smoker votes, it wouldn't be optimal.

Frame it, however, as a new revenue source for the state, one which would free up resources to invest in X, Y and Z on top of reducing expenses with law enforcement and prisons, and it seems like quite the safe bet that this would help motivate voters from all walks of life. You got good data, use it.

Also because, like, by not using it you're simply ceding the point to the other party.

Climate change is a different matter entirely since perception of its effects aint as pronounced as, say, being harassed by cops thanks to drug laws or having someone in the family arrested for possession.

I wonder... sure, if you frame it only as a means of getting pot smoker votes, it wouldn't be optimal.

Frame it, however, as a new revenue source for the state, one which would free up resources to invest in X, Y and Z on top of reducing expenses with law enforcement and prisons, and it seems like quite the safe bet that this would help motivate voters from all walks of life. You got good data, use it.

Also because, like, by not using it you're simply ceding the point to the other party.

Climate change is a different matter entirely since perception of its effects aint as pronounced as, say, being harassed by cops thanks to drug laws or having someone in the family arrested for possession.

But, the problem is, there's not enough evidence out there showing it actually motivate voters from all walks of life to actually turn out to vote or switch their vote from Republican to Democrat or more importantly, won't turn off current voters.

Also, many, many people outside of the liberal enclave that is GAF and the Internet believe the problem is we aren't tough enough on drug users and we aren't sending enough people to prison.

Honestly, I think the reason why more politicians haven't come out for it, is sadly, they've got the data that shows that, for example, it'll lead to more soccer Mom in suburban Virginia switching to voting Republican than it'll lead to other people to start voting for Democrats.

It's the same reason why Obama and Hillary were cagey about the gay marriage issue in '08. Yes, among all my friends, it was obvious that gay marriage was a good idea, but among blue collar Indiana voters or religious black voters in North Carolina that were narrow wins for Obama? Not so much.

ivysaur12

Banned
Speaking of fun 2016 amendments:

http://ballotpedia.org/California_Public_Pension_Cuts_Initiative_(2016)

A California Public Pension Cuts Initiative may appear on the November 8, 2016 ballot in California as an initiated state statute or initiated constitutional amendment. The campaign in support of the initiative will be led by a collection of politicians, businesspersons, former San Diego City Councilman Carl DeMaio (R) and former San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed (D).[1]

http://ballotpedia.org/Utah_Oath_of_Office_Amendment_(2016)

The current oath of office reads: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, obey and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this State, and that I will discharge the duties of my office with fidelity."

The proposed oath of office, which would be enacted with voter approval of HJR 8, reads: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, obey, and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Utah, and that I will discharge the duties of my office with fidelity."

The amendment changing the oath was proposed by Rep. Kraig Powell (R-54). He explained the proposed changes, saying, "Please remember that the point of the bill was that the word ‘Utah’ is not currently in the oath of office."[2]

Only 9 representatives and senators voted Nay on this bill:

Rep. Anderegg (R)
Rep. Cox (R)
Rep. Hawkes (R)
Rep. McCay (R)
Rep. Schultz (R)
Rep. Thurston (R)

Sen. Hillyard (R)

Utah haters!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Don't think weed legalization would boost turnout much honestly. But maybe I'm just unfairly stereotyping.

Weed legalization is one of those tipping point issues, like if you're stuck between two candidates, or you aren't sure if you want to go out and vote, weed will push you over the edge. It won't change anyone's mind on a candidate or boost turnout, but it's one of those subtle issues that can have an affect, albeit a small one.

ivysaur12

Banned
Another fun ballot measure that looks like it will be voted on:

http://ballotpedia.org/Maine_Ranked_Choice_Voting_Initiative_(2016)

The Maine Ranked Choice Voting Initiative may appear on the November 8, 2016 ballot in Maine as an indirect initiated state statute. The measure, upon voter approval, would establish a statewide system of ranked-choice voting, also known as instant-runoff voting. Specifically, ranked-choice voting would be used to elect U.S. Senators, U.S. Representatives, the Governor, State Senators and State Representatives.[1]

The initiative would define ranked-choice voting as "the method of casting and tabulating votes in which voters rank candidates in order of preference, tabulation proceeds in sequential rounds in which last-place candidates are defeated and the candidate with the most votes in the final round is elected."[1]

More on RCV:

http://ballotpedia.org/Instant-runoff_voting

HylianTom

Banned
Don't think weed legalization would boost turnout much honestly. But maybe I'm just unfairly stereotyping.

Weed legalization is one of those tipping point issues, like if you're stuck between two candidates, or you aren't sure if you want to go out and vote, weed will push you over the edge. It won't change anyone's mind on a candidate or boost turnout, but it's one of those subtle issues that can have an affect, albeit a small one.
That's what I suspect. If we're talking about a <1% race, it could make the difference in a state. But I'm not thinking of Florida-style multiple-hour waits in Ohio or Nevada.

If the overall election is that close, something's gone horribly wrong..

Also, many, many people outside of the liberal enclave that is GAF and the Internet believe the problem is we aren't tough enough on drug users and we aren't sending enough people to prison.

Benji posted the data, like, not even 50 posts ago, mate. At this point, in order to not act this way, one must bring data that supports such a course of action.

Plus, yknow, as bams has been teaching (or trying to) the dems, even if you can't achieve anything, addressing the problem boosts your popularity. Your base needs pandering. Don't blindly count on it while chasing dat independent vote.

Also seriously doubt that anyone that thinks that the problem with american prisons is that they're not harsh enough would ever vote democrat. No worries there.

Benji posted the data, like, not even 50 posts ago, mate. At this point, in order to not act this way, one must bring data that supports such a course of action.

Plus, yknow, as bams has been teaching (or trying to) the dems, even if you can't achieve anything, addressing the problem boosts your popularity. Your base needs pandering. Don't blindly count on it while chasing dat independent vote.

Also seriously doubt that anyone that thinks that the problem with american prisons is that they're not harsh enough would ever vote democrat. No worries there.

41% of African-American's and 58% of Hispanic people oppose the legalization of pot, likely for the reasons that they've seen drugs destroy their community, along with a variety of other reasons you or me might not agree with. They're part of the base too, not just hipster liberals who want to toke up.

Again, I'm not saying the DNC shouldn't be for the legalization of pot. I'm not saying that it'd even be good politically.

But, this idea that it's insane the DNC isn't full bore behind pot legalization now that it has a narrow majority support is kind of silly. I explained the reasons why a politician might not support it. Again, I don't agree with all of it, but it's not crazy - it's simply a question of priorities and beliefs.

ivysaur12

Banned
Voters, it's these evil terrible public employees fault life is terrible for you, with their benefits and middle class pay. Not my fault, the politician who spent years giving you tax cuts and avoiding making the correct payments to the pension fund.

The vilification of government employees will never make sense to me.

The vilification of government employees will never make sense to me.

It's pretty simple - it's a lot easier to hate somebody for having something you don't have, then figuring out why you don't have those things.

(Before I get in a run-in, I know this can be attack on the attacks on the wealthy.)

41% of African-American's and 58% of Hispanic people oppose the legalization of pot, likely for the reasons that they've seen drugs destroy their community, along with a variety of other reasons you or me might not agree with. They're part of the base too, not just hipster liberals who want to toke up.

Again, I'm not saying the DNC shouldn't be for the legalization of pot. I'm not saying that it'd even be good politically.

I c.
Would have to ponder if the benefit of accruing a larger share of the white electorate would be enough to offset those potential losses.
Hrm.

KingK

Why not support marijuana legalization in the context of broader criminal justice reform? Don't just frame it as letting stoners get high, but as addressing our overcrowded prisons and unfair sentencing and enforcement. I guess the issue there is that anyone supporting broad reform on that issue is already a reliable Democrat voter.

Oh well, it seems like this is something that will just have to bee settled in ballot measures for the next several years.

Full disclosure, I'm stoned right now.

benjipwns

Banned
Why not support marijuana legalization in the context of broader criminal justice reform? Don't just frame it as letting stoners get high, but as addressing our overcrowded prisons and unfair sentencing and enforcement.
So what? They're criminals! Hang 'em all! /gafdeathpenaltythreads

I guess the issue there is that anyone supporting broad reform on that issue is already a reliable Democrat voter.
I am not. I'm not even a reliably unreliable voter.

Why not support marijuana legalization in the context of broader criminal justice reform? Don't just frame it as letting stoners get high, but as addressing our overcrowded prisons and unfair sentencing and enforcement. I guess the issue there is that anyone supporting broad reform on that issue is already a reliable Democrat voter.

Oh well, it seems like this is something that will just have to bee settled in ballot measures for the next several years.

Full disclosure, I'm stoned right now.

Yup, people who think that are either "both parties are the same" lefties who will never for Democrats anyway (and are .5% of the population), firm supporters of the Democratic party, or libertarians who oppose the Democrat's anyway because we think the federal government should exist.

There are brief bits of hope - Georgia recently did some minor reform, but it was done with a, "we've got no money, so to save some money, we've got to reform the system somewhat, but that doesn't mean marijuana isn't the devil's weed or black people are still shady" message from the Republican legislature.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's pretty simple - it's a lot easier to hate somebody for having something you don't have, then figuring out why you don't have those things.

(Before I get in a run-in, I know this can be attack on the attacks on the wealthy.)

My dad and I got into a huge fight about this before he told me that he doesn't have a retirement (my mom has a pretty substantial plan, anyway), so he shouldn't have to cover other people's. It was basically to a benji-esque idea that all taxes are a form for theft. (hi benji). The idea that government employees, on average, make 55k in Hartford County, CT, seemed criminal to him.

Yeah, it's not their fault they can't make a living providing goods or services people want.

Oh you.

Also the same thing I wanted to tell my father about this business :3

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Polls always overstate support of this issue compared to election day results. It's one of those issues people like in theory, but allow FUD to take over when it comes time to take real action on election day. The states that did pass it were only able to do so with polls that showed gigantic support, not just marginal support, in order to have a buffer for that election day dip.

Its popularity also comes from a good amount of republicans being for it too. Democrat support is only at 60-40 and that's with the halo effect I was talking about above. You tend to be more worried about losing supporters than gaining new ones, and Democrats do seem to have a lot of supporters that might dislike the idea of legalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom