• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honwstly wonder if people just forget that Virginia even exists
I love Virginia. The fact that it's a Dem-leaning state now (however slight that is) basically means Republicans won't win a national election anytime soon.

Seriously can't wait for VA/FL/NC/GA to all start voting blue in tandem. New South, bitches. The GOP can have Ohio, who even cares (sorry Manky).

We can't possible know this with any meaningful degree of certainty. She still hasn't been tested in a presidential general election and the focus in such an election is entirely different than anything that Hillary has had to deal with thus far.

Again, this is true of most people/candidates, but I don't think it is in HRC's case. Of course we can't/haven't quantified the effect, but seriously though, she and Bill have been under general election level scrutiny since forever.

pigeon

Banned
We can't possible know this with any meaningful degree of certainty. She still hasn't been tested in a presidential general election and the focus in such an election is entirely different than anything that Hillary has had to deal with thus far.

She HAS been tested in a presidential general election, when she was running for First Lady of the United States.

Any major scandal that adhered to Hillary would have equally well adhered to Bill, so the level of scrutiny was not meaningfully different.

I love Virginia. The fact that it's a Dem-leaning state now (however slight that is) basically means Republicans won't win a national election anytime soon.

Seriously can't wait for VA/FL/NC/GA to all start voting blue in tandem. New South, bitches. The GOP can have Ohio, who even cares (sorry Manky).
😢

Cerium

I'll always appreciate Ohio for 2008 and 2012.

Just like I'll never forget New Hampshire's role in 2000.

She HAS been tested in a presidential general election, when she was running for First Lady of the United States.

Any major scandal that adhered to Hillary would have equally well adhered to Bill, so the level of scrutiny was not meaningfully different.

That was 15 years ago, a new generation has grown up that hasn't seen this from the start for better or for worse.

Let's be honest:

Trump's slogan of "Let's make America great again" is just code for "Let's make America white/straight/Christian again."

No more. No less.
In practice that definitely seems to be the case but isn't Bernie tapping into that same energy? That the middle class has declined over the past 40 years, we've lost factories and jobs over seas, money has been filtered up. If I could communicate in a slogan basically what Bernie wants to do based on his rhetoric it would be "Make the American Middle Class Great again".

pigeon

Banned
In practice that definitely seems to be the case but isn't Bernie tapping into that same energy? That the middle class has declined over the past 40 years, we've lost factories and jobs over seas, money has been filtered up. If I could communicate in a slogan basically what Bernie wants to do based on his rhetoric it would be "Make the American Middle Class Great again".

Yes, and that's strongly related to why his support is so predominantly white and to why his anti-trade and anti-immigration positions are so distressing.

I mean, apologies to OhioGAF here, but I think you guys have had a good run as the very critical swing state.
We're shaped like a heart and you've broken mine. God bless the gre- Mwhahaha, naw. Ohio shouldn't be responsible for picking what the nation puts on its Pizza, let alone president.

Diablos

Hillary once again proving she's the most experienced. Fuck it, let Kasich win a contested convention. I think she could take him. Maybe not in OH but nationally.

Cdd-RZxUsAEGopC.jpg

WELL
I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY YEARS I GOT LEFT
I'M GONNA GET REAL WEIRD WITH IT

Did you guys see CNN gave the guy that tried to rush Trump on the stage a sit down interview? Disgusting stuff. His twitter also stated that he was going to try and do harm to Trump at his rally. Getting air time from the media is only going to encourage this behavior.

eh... even if one wants to indulge in that line of thinking, it is hard not to concede that the degree to which she has been attacked so far is considerably higher than that of... any other candidate in this cycle.

Again, this is true of most people/candidates, but I don't think it is in HRC's case. Of course we can't/haven't quantified the effect, but seriously though, she and Bill have been under general election level scrutiny since forever.

I am NOT just talking about negative exposure. I'm talking about the combination of a national focus on negativity as it pertains to Hillary and connecting that negativity to our country under a Hillary Clinton presidency.

So Greenwald is RTing Bernie supporters who have been harrassed by Hillary supporters. But why? I thought one of his original points on the BernieBro narrative was that people are mean in any movement?

Because victimization is great. Its why the berniebros got talked about so much.

I makes you feel morally superior, which is Glenn's raison d'être being morally superior to everyone

Because victimization is great. Its why the berniebros got talked about so much.

I makes you feel morally superior, which is Glenn's raison d'être being morally superior to everyone

It's why the Berniebros got talked about so much?

It's why Bernie, Hillary, Trump, hell - even Cruz supporters get talked about so much. Everyone seems to have the victim card this election cycle.

PPP's Final NC poll:
Trump 44
Cruz 33
Kasich 11
Rubio 7

And Rubio's at only 4% in North Carolina among people who have actually already cast their ballots

Not trying to call anyone out, but the amount of vitriol some Bernie supporters have for Hillary amazes me. I mean, I have a lot of issues with Sanders but I would still easily vote for him in the GE were he to become the nominee. It's weird seeing stuff like r/politics or this dude I used to be friends with on facebook (lol) who essentially call Hillary a Republican. I know there are Hillary supporters that are just as extreme but they are far less visible online (my cousin is one of them).

I also would like someone to answer the question of how Bernie expects to pass any of his legislation with a Republican congress without the reply that Hillary will be dealing with the same thing. It's such a cop-out answer. Bernie's main talking points are things that will literally not happen and he definitely does not seem to be the type to compromise. With Hillary I at least get the impression she's aware that she'll be dealing with such a hostile legislature. So much of Bernie support is based on his steadfast beliefs, which are cool as a senator, but as a president...

Honestly this all kind of makes me afraid of a liberal version of the tea party popping up.

Not trying to call anyone out, but the amount of vitriol some Bernie supporters have for Hillary amazes me. I mean, I have a lot of issues with Sanders but I would still easily vote for him in the GE were he to become the nominee. It's weird seeing stuff like r/politics or this dude I used to be friends with on facebook (lol) who essentially call Hillary a Republican. I know there are Hillary supporters that are just as extreme but they are far less visible online (my cousin is one of them).

I also would like someone to answer the question of how Bernie expects to pass any of his legislation with a Republican congress without the reply that Hillary will be dealing with the same thing. It's such a cop-out answer. Bernie's main talking points are things that will literally not happen and he definitely does not seem to be the type to compromise. With Hillary I at least get the impression she's aware that she'll be dealing with such a hostile legislature. So much of Bernie support is based on his steadfast beliefs, which are cool as a senator, but as a president...

Honestly this all kind of makes me afraid of a liberal version of the tea party popping up.

It's because Bernie attacks her character quite a bit with stuff like the wall Street speeches. Also alot of it is just because she's a woman and these people seem to have an anger against a woman in a position of power.

He got asked the question again today about how he will accomplish the things he talks about and basically he went back again to the line about if the millions of people speak up, Congress will see it and do what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom