• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT3| You know what they say about big Michigans - big Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
TYT is garbage but they did make one good point:

-If Trump becomes President "We still have a Congress"

Basically, the most extreme Trump positions (ban all Muslims) will either have no way of getting implemented, or won't get by Congress. What people constantly forget is Trump is actually to the left of Hillary on many issues, they're just overshadowed by the crazy stuff.

So to sum up: Trump's more liberal policies will make America great, Trump's more radical right-wing policies will never get implemented. (Trump knows this too, he's simply saying it to get media attention)

Makai

Basically, the most extreme Drumpf positions (ban all Muslims) will either have no way of getting implemented, or won't get by Congress. What people constantly forget is Drumpf is actually to the left of Hillary on many issues, they're just overshadowed by the crazy stuff.

So to sum up: Drumpf's more liberal policies will make America great, Drumpf's more radical right-wing policies will never get implemented. (Drumpf knows this too, he's simply saying it to get media attention)
Muslim ban would be by executive order.

Ecotic

So, I have a question for you all.

Do you think Trump is actually a racist piece of shit, or is he acting like a racist piece of shit to get the rest of the racist pieces of shit to vote for him?

I'm torn. I'm really torn.

Trump has this strange mentality about genetic lines and genetic groups of people that was paramount in the early 1900's. It's weird. For Trump pedigree is a deterministic part of life. For example his off the record quotes show he gauges the intelligence of a man based upon the intelligence and accomplishments of his family. Blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims are to be denigrated because as a people they're largely unaccomplished, and if they're unaccomplished it's probably because there's something inherently wrong with them (like how he believes laziness is an inherent trait of blacks). Accomplished groups like Japanese or Jews are to be respected, even if such a group is against the interests of America.

Basically, the most extreme Trump positions (ban all Muslims) will either have no way of getting implemented, or won't get by Congress. What people constantly forget is Trump is actually to the left of Hillary on many issues, they're just overshadowed by the crazy stuff.

So to sum up: Trump's more liberal policies will make America great, Trump's more radical right-wing policies will never get implemented. (Trump knows this too, he's simply saying it to get media attention)
What is Trump to the left of Hillary on besides trade (which I argue is not a left-right position in the first place)?

The whole Trump thing just makes me sad. It really, really does. I would, literally, vote for anyone to make sure that he is not allowed within 2000 feet of the White House. I just...I don't know how we came to this. I mean, I'm sure deep down, we've always been this....which also makes me sad. Ugh.

He's a demagogue who exploited a VERY weak GOP bench by filling in a gaping populist hole (greasing his entry with racism) and outflanking everybody else by running an outrageous campaign and engaging in strongman posturing when challenged. Were there someone as polished and accomplished as Romney in this race, he'd not have gotten this far, I don't think. There is, as of yet, no real evidence that he represents some kind of sinister shift in American politics more generally.

Edit: Also, saying he'd treat the Palestinians as equals at the negotiating table and remain neutral is a pretty leftist position for America.

CNN...Ohio is not winner take all for the Democrats. Ugh. Come on :(

CNN is gutter_trash, especially on international news.

before Justin Trudeau's visit to Washington, CNN did an unchecked puff piece on him with full of wrong information . It's like CNN takes the lazy way out to explain international stories to water them down for the American audience.

CNN is crap

Cerium

The method doesn't matter; you can't check who's a Muslim and who's not. It's just rhetoric.

The obvious conclusion would be that a bunch of non-Muslims with Arab names would get caught up in the sweep, and yet you seem to assume the opposite: That no one is going to be banned at all.

I would propose that you don't actually care whether anyone gets banned or not, because fuck them you got yours.

The whole Trump thing just makes me sad. It really, really does. I would, literally, vote for anyone to make sure that he is not allowed within 2000 feet of the White House. I just...I don't know how we came to this. I mean, I'm sure deep down, we've always been this....which also makes me sad. Ugh.
I'd probably rather have Trump over Ted "Kill The Gays" Cruz.

I'd never vote for either of them, obviously, but Cruz is Trump minus the street violence plus radical Christian theocracy.

Well, Florida/North Carolina being safe Clinton and the other 3 being tossups is not exactly a prediction that's out there.

If he made his predictions based on how safe they were, he would have never predicted the Michigan upset, plain and simple.

If FL and NC have Clinton leading by bigger margins than the other states, it's because he's seeing something different in the data for those states.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I misread your post.

CNN is gutter_trash, especially on international news.

before Justin Trudeau's visit to Washington, CNN did an unchecked puff piece on him with full of wrong information . It's like CNN takes the lazy way out to explain international stories to water them down for the American audience.

CNN is crap

Except for "Race for the White House" That shit is awesome...at least the 1st episode was. I can't wait for tonights. I DVR'd it because my Berniebro is coming home in about an hour.

Sianos

The method doesn't matter; you can't check who's a Muslim and who's not. It's just rhetoric.

what do you think conservatives picture in their heads when you say "muslim"?

can you think of an external trait that might serve as differentiation between their in-group and their prototypic image of "muslims" - these are the people who think sikhs and hindus are "muslims", what could their reason be for that?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So, I have a question for you all.

Do you think Trump is actually a racist piece of shit, or is he acting like a racist piece of shit to get the rest of the racist pieces of shit to vote for him?

I'm torn. I'm really torn.

Why should you give him the benefit of the doubt? What has he ever done to illicit that from you? Take him for his word and actions. No major political candidate in recent times has spewed the hate this man has.

Why should you give him the benefit of the doubt? What has he ever done to illicit that from you? Take him for his word and actions. No major political candidate in recent times has spewed the hate this man has.

I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. He said, somewhere, that he would run for President and suck up all the oxygen in the room. I was just wondering if this was part of that strategy or if we thought he actually believed this shit.

Grief.exe

what do you think conservatives picture in their heads when you say "muslim"?

can you think of an external trait that might serve as differentiation between their in-group and their prototypic image of "muslims" - these are the people who think sikhs and hindus are "muslims", what could their reason be for that?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Doesn't matter, carpet bomb

sc-republican.png

royalan

The one eye-opening thing about Trump's candidacy is that it, along with Obama's presidency, really brought out the true extent of modern racism in this country

After 4 years of going to a fairly liberal university and an adult life of surrounding myself with people similar to myself, it was pretty easy to believe that racism as I had come to understand it was on its way out.

Nope.

What's scary about Trump's fascism is that he's shown that the Dixiecrats are cool with fascism, and the Dixiecrats are actually less authoritarian than Cruz's supporters.

Cruz could easily run as a fascist and win, the primary, in 2020 if he just promised to protect entitlements by taxing the rich more.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm so bored this weekend without 538 and Sam Wang publishing new things. I don't even really know what sites to read. I refuse to read politico.

Basically.

-Ana says if her feet was held to the fire, she'd vote for Hillary, but she'd hate herself for it.
-Jimmy says he won't vote for Hillary under any circumstances. If that means Trump becomes President he says "Well, then I guess America will just have to get through it."
-Ana starts to rationalize "Maybe he'll do so crappy like GWB that we'll get a wave of Progressives"
-Jimmy says when people get a good look at Trump they'll get sick of him. Claims Hillary is a neoliberal corporatist who'll start another war
-Jimmy claims Trump will probably do some better things than Hillary, because "We won't know what Trump will do, we know what She will do."
-If Trump becomes President "We still have a Congress"
-"If you really think Trump is Hitler why wouldn't you not vote for his opponent?

Lol fuck TYT. They've drank some tainted ass kool aid.

Grief.exe

What's scary about Trump's fascism is that he's shown that the Dixiecrats are cool with fascism, and the Dixiecrats are actually less authoritarian than Cruz's supporters.

Cruz could easily run as a fascist and win, the primary, in 2020 if he just promised to protect entitlements by taxing the rich more.

I find it difficult to believe that the Republican party isn't going to go through a major transition post 2016. I can't see a 2020/2024 election where their has been a major shift in that party.

I'm so bored this weekend without 538 and Sam Wang publishing new things. I don't even really know what sites to read. I refuse to read politico.

Could always, you know, play video games.

I recommend Factorio.

FiggyCal

Banned
Lol fuck TYT. They've drank some tainted ass kool aid.

Most of that was like 40 seconds of the video. He's leaving out the majority of it where it was mostly Ben explaining why he will support Hillary and refuting Jimmy. Andbesides, they all live in California. They know it doesn't matter who they vote for.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. He said, somewhere, that he would run for President and suck up all the oxygen in the room. I was just wondering if this was part of that strategy or if we thought he actually believed this shit.

I don't know, but either way, the guy is a shit stain for helping to kindle this xenophobic, racist fire we have going on :(

Most of that was like 40 seconds of the video. He's leaving out the majority of it where it was mostly Ben explaining why he will support Hillary and refuting Jimmy. Andbesides, they all live in California. They know it doesn't matter who they vote for.

So?

They've still generally bought into Clinton Derangement Syndrome.

Everybody votes matter. Its just that 10 states decide elections.

The entire South is why Sanders is behind. That's a good portion of everyone.

Had he found a way to get even a portion of them on his side he'd be close or on a possible path to victory.

But he didn't and didn't really try. He's clearly running a Northern strategy and it looks like it won't work out

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The whole "only swing states" matter rhetoric is wrong anyway. An electoral victory that wasn't reflected in the popular vote would cause a huge shitstorm again. If Trump wins the popular by 2% but loses electorally because red-state Dems stay home because their vote "doesn't matter" we might see another election that goes to court

Create a neuro grant for sam wang so he spends less time on doing neuro research (aka writing grants) and more time on election stuff (I would have been doing this but chose mdphd over phd).

FiggyCal

Banned
[/b]

So?

They've still generally bought into Clinton Derangement Syndrome.

It does make a difference. It's literally the one guy in the panel that holds that opinion and (without counting) the majority of the video is not that. Half the video is just a rant against how the media is covering Trump, how he isn't a serious candidate, and the state of the republican party. They just happen to also not like Hillary; but only Jimmy actually makes the argument we see in the title.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Read Daily Kos.

Mwahahahahaa. Sorry. Couldn't keep a straight face.

Actually Kos himself has been ok this election. Can't say the same of everyone who writes for his site. But give credit where it's due.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TYT has never been good. Bunch of permanent rookies. I don't think I've watched a full video of theirs since 2010.

They were willing to have mature conversations about issues many places would not touch. But it will be difficult take them seriously after this election.

They're okay, got serious issues with basic logic tho

And cenk's probability theories are legit stupid

Holy mother of god, I agree. What the fuck is happening.

FiggyCal

Banned
TYT is bad for a lot of reasons, but Ben from TCM, is alright.

It's not just about this election cycle; they consistently have just the worst, stereotypical liberal trash that people make fun of. Like the one video they did on the bearded woman, who was literally put up for display as a freak in a circus, and Ana made the argument that we were more progressive towards lady's body hair back then than we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom