• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Even if the race tightens, it likely won't tighten enough to make us sweat all that much.

(With numbers like this coming from state like Georgia, it does make the panicking/insecurity in certain places all that much more entertaining/annoying.)

Yep, just watch Virginia, Michigan and Florida. Trump has to win 2 of them to have any chance. Having to play defense in Georgia is just icing.

I'm not concerned at all. Barring a catastrophic event or major scandal, there's no way Trump wins. That being said I fully expect a variety of polls to show a closer race than what many people expect. Landline polls and other questionable polling gimmicks will give the media what they want: a "close" race that focuses on a handful of battleground states. And to be fair I do expect Trump to eventually rally most of the republican base.

The reality is that Hillary is going to destroy Trump. But I'd expect the Clinton camp to play things out as if this is a close election. The threat of Trump becoming president will be used as a GOTV motivator all campaign season.

Oh CNN...

1zgVpB9.png

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not concerned at all. Barring a catastrophic event or major scandal, there's no way Trump wins. That being said I fully expect a variety of polls to show a closer race than what many people expect. Landline polls and other questionable polling gimmicks will give the media what they want: a "close" race that focuses on a handful of battleground states. And to be fair I do expect Trump to eventually rally most of the republican base.

The reality is that Hillary is going to destroy Trump. But I'd expect the Clinton camp to play things out as if this is a close election. The threat of Trump becoming president will be used as a GOTV motivator all campaign season.

Yup. In this case the media narrative will help drive voters and extend coattails.

So I said I was going to make a comment about Bernie and I was a bit busy, but here it is.

Here is my problem with Bernie and his campaign.

Obviously, I disagree with some of his positions and think he's not really as fit to serve as President as Hillary. But that's not my gripe right now.

In fact, I don't mind that he continues to run in the Primary.

I don't even mind that he continues to attack Hillary.

I'm fine with all of that. He has every right to shout his message, encourage people to make a choice, and fight for what he believes in. I can disagree with his assessments and policies but I'll defend him for stating them. And I'm not going to join the whole "Trump's the nominee now Bernie HAS TO DROP because reasons."

But I do have one major issue with him and the campaign that I need to express (and perhaps others have already but I've been too busy to follow the thread of late).

My issue is that Bernie's not setting up his supporters with realistic expectations. He's taking advantage of their naivety and ignorance. And not the whole "revolution" thing. I mean in terms of election outcomes. He and his campaign isn't shutting down the exit poll number nonsense, the voter fraud nonsense, the Hillary is only winning because of Super Delegates nonsense, the whole notion that if he doesn't win something nefarious happened.

He's basically making an argument that the will of the people is currently on his side despite the results saying otherwise. And why this bothers me is not because he will cost Hillary the election; he won't. And it's not because he's factually incorrect; politicians do it all the time.

My issue is that Hillary is going to win the Primary and a large chunk of the Bernie supporters are going to feel cheated out of the election and I fear this will make them even more disillusioned in the whole process. And these are young people who maybe don't need to vote this year but will in 8 and 16 years down the line. It's these type of outcomes that eventually to 2000 Bush when people didn't vote.

I know some of the Bernie-stans are former Ron Paulites and anti-establishment or whatever and are never within grasp. And a lot of the voters are simply "not Hillary" and even "Not Obama and that's now Hillary" voters, and even still others are just agree with Bernie. But a sizeable portion are young and are going to feel railroaded and are going to blame the political system for Bernie's loss when in reality Bernie is going to lose because more Democrat voters will support Hillary over him, for whatever reasons that lead them that way. And Bernie may cause us to lose those voters for a generation and that will matter especially in terms of mid term and local election even if it doesn't affect any GE.

Bernie needs to slap some reality on these folks before it's too late. We've seen what happened to the GOP when they played these false expectations game and it led them to Trump.

Bernie supporting Hillary when the Primary is over won't be enough, I think. Shit, it's probably too late.

Anyway, there's my Bernie rant.

User 406

Banned
Also, regarding last night-- where were all you Mario 64 haters in 1996? Hell, I bought an N64 at launch *for that game* played it, was seriously underwhelmed and sold the system to rebuy later when there was a better library. But if you suggested it wasn't at least the best game of the year (or perhaps of all time) you'd be scoffed at. Sure, the graphics were amazing, but that's one thin-as-hell Mario experience.

The worst was that for many years afterwards, kids insisted that Nintendo invented nearly every god damn thing about videogames because Mario 64.

Does Trump need to put out a press release every time someone says they won't vote for him? He's going to be really busy.

Holy shit is Trump going to blast every single Republican that insults him? What is going on? How did we get here as a society?

Yes. That's how insecure he is. Now picture him in charge of the military and dealing with hostile foreign leaders.

So I said I was going to make a comment about Bernie and I was a bit busy, but here it is.

Here is my problem with Bernie and his campaign.

Obviously, I disagree with some of his positions and think he's not really as fit to serve as President as Hillary. But that's not my gripe right now.

In fact, I don't mind that he continues to run in the Primary.

I don't even mind that he continues to attack Hillary.

I'm fine with all of that. He has every right to shout his message, encourage people to make a choice, and fight for what he believes in. I can disagree with his assessments and policies but I'll defend him for stating them. And I'm not going to join the whole "Trump's the nominee now Bernie HAS TO DROP because reasons."

But I do have one major issue with him and the campaign that I need to express (and perhaps others have already but I've been too busy to follow the thread of late).

My issue is that Bernie's not setting up his supporters with realistic expectations. He's taking advantage of their naivety and ignorance. And not the whole "revolution" thing. I mean in terms of election outcomes. He and his campaign isn't shutting down the exit poll number nonsense, the voter fraud nonsense, the Hillary is only winning because of Super Delegates nonsense, the whole notion that if he doesn't win something nefarious happened.

He's basically making an argument that the will of the people is currently on his side despite the results saying otherwise. And why this bothers me is not because he will cost Hillary the election; he won't. And it's not because he's factually incorrect; politicians do it all the time.

My issue is that Hillary is going to win the Primary and a large chunk of the Bernie supporters are going to feel cheated out of the election and I fear this will make them even more disillusioned in the whole process. And these are young people who maybe don't need to vote this year but will in 8 and 16 years down the line. It's these type of outcomes that eventually to 2000 Bush when people didn't vote.

I know some of the Bernie-stans are former Ron Paulites and anti-establishment or whatever and are never within grasp. And a lot of the voters are simply "not Hillary" and even "Not Obama and that's now Hillary" voters, and even still others are just agree with Bernie. But a sizeable portion are young and are going to feel railroaded and are going to blame the political system for Bernie's loss when in reality Bernie is going to lose because more Democrat voters will support Hillary over him, for whatever reasons that lead them that way. And Bernie may cause us to lose those voters for a generation and that will matter especially in terms of mid term and local election even if it doesn't affect any GE.

Bernie needs to slap some reality on these folks before it's too late. We've seen what happened to the GOP when they played these false expectations game and it led them to Trump.

Bernie supporting Hillary when the Primary is over won't be enough, I think. Shit, it's probably too late.

Anyway, there's my Bernie rant.
I think this is a valid concern. However I think the last few polls had 33% saying they will not vote in general if Bernie loses. I think that number will go down to 20's and teens by general, so hopefully a smaller share of the smaller primary electorate. And we can hope that in 4 to 8 years, they come around and find their way back to base. I know I started as a Ron Paul supporter.

Hot takes from Trump:

I hope corrupt Hillary Clinton chooses goofy Elizabeth Warren as her running mate. I will defeat them both.

Let’s properly check goofy Elizabeth Warren’s records to see if she is Native American. I say she’s a fraud!

Goofy Elizabeth Warren, Hillary Clinton’s flunky, has a career that is totally based on a lie. She is not Native American.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/728725179074023425

What're these adjectives and who in trump's team keeps telling him to make them up?

teiresias

God, I hope these EC routes actually happen and that some traditionally red states go blue. Not only for the general salt, but because I want to see what kind of petulant childish concession speech Trump gives - or if he even refuses to come out and speak that night at all.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is New Hampshire really a true swing state anymore and not lean D?

I don't see it. Areas that have been economically hit by globalization may be in play this election more so in the past since we have a candidate pushing anti-trade. But, the same candidate has pissed off minorities, so areas with any high degree of minorities will be out of play. NH really falls into neither, so I think you should probably default to default. Lean D.

thcsquad

I don't see it. Areas that have been economically hit by globalization may be in play this election more so in the past since we have a candidate pushing anti-trade. But, the same candidate has pissed off minorities, so areas with any high degree of minorities will be out of play. NH really falls into neither, so I think you should probably default to default. Lean D.

NH is more and more becoming the place where rich Bostonians go to live, so the politics are approaching that of the Boston suburbs. Definitely D-leaning now.

Subtle

Has this been posted here yet? Long write-up about Hillary's emails. Author seems to be convinced that the FBI will indict her, but everyone on GAF is really dismissive about the situation. What do you guys think?

Teggy

If Elizabeth Forma didn't play that fake Native American card, she wouldn't have gotten more than 5% against Scott Brown.

Has this been posted here yet? Long write-up about Hillary's emails. Author seems to be convinced that the FBI will indict her, but everyone on GAF is really dismissive about the situation. What do you guys think?
I can't link you right now but we've been over that one and it's loose and inaccurate.

You're damn right 3D World is the best Mario game EVER. It's a pure joy to play. Galaxy is the best 3D Mario game, and one of the best Wii games, though.

My boyfriend just beat the first world of Super Mario 3D World. First video game he's played in a decade. (He's a big mess.....) He loved it.

You're still seeing the Berniebro? Have you converted him to Hillary yet?

You're still seeing the Berniebro? Have you converted him to Hillary yet?

I'm definitely still seeing him. And, ya, he voted for Hillary in the primary in Ohio. In fact, he's about ten feet from me right now :) He's in the Queen camp now. He got off the Bernie train after one of the debates...something Bernie said about foreign policy or something. (I can't remember). His passion for queen is not as bright as mine....but it still burns like a thousand suns. He helped me drive people to the polls on primary day. He said he'd do it again in November. <3

It keeps me quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom