• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernie must be so salty that the media almost entirely stopped caring about him this week. I even hate the word "salty," but it applies perfectly here. The only reason he got even close to this far was because the media had to have a race to cover for Democrats as well as Republicans. With the GOP nomination sealed they can stop their bullshit of faking a competition on the other side.
Why is Rachel just letting him spew this crap about his campaign generating record breaking turnout? It's a flat out lie outside of those 5 states he keeps talking about.
So sick of his shit that she can't will herself to care any more?
CNN

160503231242-road-to-270-electoral-college-map-large-tease.jpg

DEAD HEAT!!!
Let them have their narrative if they want. Those are probably the closest states! Perhaps they've stretched the definition of "toss-up" to be 10 points this year? Sounds like the sort of awful editorial call CNN would make. Even with their very generous use of the term, it doesn't change the fact that every single one of those states are lean/likely D. All. Of. Them. And that's even before any Trump factor comes in.

Seriously, dude?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...racist-places-in-america-according-to-google/
imrs.php
Man, maybe if Vermont and New Hampshire were less racist, the democrats would take those back, too.

This is proportionate to state population.
Actually, yes, I'm arguing that Southern-White =/= racist automatically, and I really, truly cannot abide the sweeping generalizations which probably offends a lot of people. I want PoliGAF to be inclusive.

uh, well, states can't be racist because they're not people.

I'm not here to defend Robert E. Lee statues or battle flags. I'm not here to cover my ears and pretend Mississippi doesn't have the most racist people in the country. But remember that a majority of people in South Carolina supported the removal of the confederate battle flag from the capitol building. And that populations, especially the South which has 1/3 of the US, can be highly diverse, like how Atlanta, Georgia, is mostly Democrat. And that Martin Luther King Jr. said Chicago was the most racist place he had ever been to, by far, even though it had a Democratic mayor. And when it comes to actual objective measures of racist tendencies in populations, there isn't a whole lot of good research, besides what I just linked.

Things are way more complicated than you ever let on. So, no, consider this not-a-joke.

This is basically pulling a brainchild. Obviously there are white people in the South who are inclusive (I count myself among that group), but come on. Are you seriously going to argue that the comment isn't fair? Because if it doesn't apply here in Mississippi, it sure as hell doesn't apply anywhere. This is a state where we actively pretend like our statement of secession wasn't about slavery.

Some choice quotes that we as a state defend:
  1. "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world."
  2. "It (the Union)advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst."
  3. "...we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property."

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/mississippi_declaration.asp

To argue that the South isn't more racist than other parts of the country is, quite frankly, insane to me. I'm a born and raised Mississippian, and I currently attend a university where the center of campus is a Confederate statue, commemorating their "holy cause." We put a plaque next to it as a compromise so our donors wouldn't riot. We just had 3 students get charged and convicted of threatening to incite violence for putting a battle flag and a noose on the statue of the university's first black student (who got shot at, and required the National Guard to keep him from dying).

I'm always hearing about passive aggressive racism in other parts of the country, but from where I'm at, I'll take racist jokes over death threats (and I'm white! The worst I've dealt with was being called a race traitor).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
wtf, create a Dem Fox News? No, just no.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
wtf, create a Dem Fox News? No, just no.

Yea, when he said that all I could think was: "He just doesn't get the actual problem."

Did Bernie just advocate for government funded media? A Democrat Fox News?

A Democrat Fox News isn't government funded media. I'd like a version of the BBC, but that wouldn't be a partisan news source. He said he wanted a partisan news source, presumably to counter Fox.

What we need is for our news sources to not need to worry about paying the bills or getting page views/ratings.

Wilsongt

Oh for the love of all things fuck.

http://www.feelthemath.org/

If Bernie can get 65.5% (just 612 delegates) of the remaining states, not only will he get the majority, but likely the nomination! How likely? All the remaining states poll in favor of Bernie. Especially California, which has 475 delegates up for grabs!

The media has been super misleading when it comes to the topic of superdelegates. Superdelegates haven't actually voted yet. They typically follow the majority vote. While they CAN vote against the majority, it doesn't look good on the Democratic party...or on their own careers.

This is basically pulling a brainchild. Obviously there are white people in the South who are inclusive (I count myself among that group), but come on. Are you seriously going to argue that the comment isn't fair? Because if it doesn't apply here in Mississippi, it sure as hell doesn't apply anywhere. This is a state where we actively pretend like our statement of secession wasn't about slavery.

Some choice quotes that we as a state defend:
  1. "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery - the greatest material interest of the world."
  2. "It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst."
  3. "...we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property."

To argue that the South isn't more racist than other parts of the country is, quite frankly, insane to me. I'm a born and raised Mississippian, and I currently attend a university where the center of campus is a Confederate statue, commemorating their "holy cause." We put a plaque next to it as a compromise so our donors wouldn't riot. We just had 3 students get charged and convicted of threatening to incite violence for putting a battle flag and a noose on the statue of the university's first black student (who got shot at, and required the National Guard to keep him from dying).

I'm always hearing about passive aggressive racism in other parts of the country, but from where I'm at, I'll take racist jokes over death threats (and I'm white! The worst I've dealt with was being called a race traitor).
I'd say that rural white Americans in all states are more prone to racism and it isn't just a southern thing. No one is arguing that the South isn't inherently more racist. The person was fighting the broad generalization that all southerners were racists. I've seen tons of people on this forum saying broad, overgeneralized statements as well as demeaning things about people that live in the south. I think that's more so what the poster is responding to.

Brinbe

Time for Bernie to go away.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. A far-left version of Fox News is basically TYT.

And as already stated, that's PBS.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kristoffer I can't tell if this is a character or whatever but it's officially annoying just in case it is.

Edit: New Jersey does not favor Bernie! Lol

I'd say that rural white Americans in all states are more prone to racism and it isn't just a southern thing. No one is arguing that the South isn't inherently more racist. The person was fighting the broad generalization that all southerners were racists. I've seen tons of people on this forum saying broad, overgeneralized statements as well as demeaning things about people that live in the south. I think that's more so what the poster is responding to.

I mean.... 90% of white people in Mississippi voted for Romney over Obama and I don't know if a poor state like Mississippi was really looking forward to Romney trickling down.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Edit: New Jersey does not favor Bernie! Lol

Losing New Jersey makes him need about 70% of the remaining vote. Including his loss in DC.

Sanders is focusing his attention a bit more on Trump and laying off the personal Clinton attacks. If this is how he plans to continue, I don't have an issue with him continuing.

ampere

Bernie is just a professional protester, that's all.

I was initially drawn to him because he seemed "different" and he definitely is "different", but not in a good way. I should stick to policy when I decide who I support...

Did Bernie just advocate for government funded media? A Democrat Fox News?

Really really dumb.

Oh for the love of all things fuck.

http://www.feelthemath.org/

The big logical leap here is that (Bernie is polling a win in a state) => (Bernie wins it by 30). This is crazy. He'll win most of the May contests, but not nearly by enough in the margins. The race isn't best 26 out of 50 contests. Winning is pointless if it's not by enough.

That's what I meant by "pulling a brainchild" though. It's an overreaction to a statement because, for whatever reason, they can't separate the numbers from personal feelings. Like, do you react this way when people talk about LGBT people or black people not voting Republican?

Of course not, because it'd be stupid, even though there are black and LGBT Republicans. As the post below remarks, MS whites voted hard for a formerly Democratic Mormon from Massachusetts. And let me tell you, they ain't doing it because of the intricacies of Romney's business dealings or his foreign policy.

I mean.... 90% of white people in Mississippi voted for Romney over Obama and I don't know if a poor state like Mississippi was really looking forward to Romney trickling down.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You guys are hilarious.
<3

Why do you think there should be a Democrat Fox News? How will that help the issue of our news organizations being polarized along ideological lines? If anything it would make the issue worse and lead to those bubbles people are in growing bigger and getting stronger. We should be looking to pop those bubbles, not grow them.

The fact is, that on this issue, he is 110% wrong.

Why do you think there should be a Democrat Fox News? How will that help the issue of our news organizations being polarized along ideological lines? If anything it would make the issue worse and lead to those bubbles people are in growing bigger and getting stronger. We should be looking to pop those bubbles, not grow them.

What.

I didn't at all say I want a democratic fox news. I just said you guys are funny. Why you so defensive whenever I post, my man?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I think you are falling for the same sort of generalizations. I grew up in rural areas, and I saw racism. But I only had terrifying encounters with racism when I moved to a city, and this was Seattle!

Thinking that racism is constrained to the south, or just rural places leads you to fall into the same dangerous thinking. It is a problem everywhere.

Suikoguy

I think the core of the disconnect for Sanders is he severly over-values the Bully Pulpit. Especially with the answer on saying Obama could have done more to combat climate change and his earlier interview with Chris Matthews and his solution to protest outside of Republicans offices to get things passed.

I think many of us here realize the Bully Pulpit has significant limits, especially depending on the issue.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
CNN

160503231242-road-to-270-electoral-college-map-large-tease.jpg

DEAD HEAT!!!

As dumb as this is, do you guys think it's actually a good thing for the media to play up the "tight race" thing? If people actually think there's a chance Hillary could lose, that could incentivize them to go out and vote instead of feeling complacent and staying home.

Bowdz

Has this been posted here yet? Long write-up about Hillary's emails. Author seems to be convinced that the FBI will indict her, but everyone on GAF is really dismissive about the situation. What do you guys think?

I think this hasn't been discussed enough with relation to the Clinton email investigation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy

22 million emails missing, server owned and operated by the RNC, emails missing forever, no major criminal charges. This is the biggest double standard from the right and a complete waste of time.

User1608

Banned
Count me in on not wanting a democratic or liberal fox news. Fuck that. The last thing we need is to create more delusional people watching in their little bubbles and holding the rest of us back even more.

royalan

Bernie, what do you think the Obama administration has been fighting for these past 8 years? Working class families, you dolt.

It's like he thinks Democrats are just as much a part of the problem as Republicans. And he's seriously wondering why Superdelegates pay him dust?

ampere

You guys are hilarious.
<3

What.

I didn't at all say I want a democratic fox news. I just said you guys are funny. Why you so defensive whenever I post, my man?

Just as an FYI to help you in the future, if you post something like your first post we have no details to go on. There's not much of a way to have a conversation.

Your second post isn't helpful either.

Do you think we are being overly critical of Bernie, and if so, why? Hard to have a conversation without know what you are talking about

I think the core of the disconnect for Sanders is he severly over-values the Bully Pulpit. Especially with the answer on saying Obama could have done more to combat climate change and his earlier interview with Chris Matthews and his solution to protest outside of Republicans offices to get things passed.

I think many of us here realize the Bully Pulpit has significant limits, especially depending on the issue.

Yeah, that sort of thing doesn't really do much in larger contests. Running for mayor of a place? A rally could tip a lot of people. Running for president of a country of over 300 million people? Rallies turn into a sort of echo chamber. "Surely if thousands keep showing up and chanting my name, I must be popular!" Not necessarily.

Non-dry by post.

What is the problem with a left-leaning news network? Aside from being a bit redundant given how much of internet new media already leans left, I don't see how having a left-leaning bias innately warrants a comparison to Fox News.

Ultimately, I think the news should report facts. Facts aren't always politically neutral however.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Non-dry by post.

What is the problem with a left-leaning news network? Aside from being a bit redundant given how much of internet new media already leans left, I don't see how having a left-leaning bias innately warrants a comparison to Fox News.

Ultimately, I think the news should report facts. Facts aren't always politically neutral however.

The problem with creating a democrat Fox News is that it will just perpetuate the problem we currently have. I agree that facts aren't always politically neutral, I disagree that the news leans left. Our problem is that people get into these news bubbles and are never challenged from there, nothing that disproves their world view gets through. That's a huge problem we need to be fighting against. We should be making the news less ideological, not more.

We need more Murrow, not more O'Reilly.

Just as an FYI to help you in the future, if you post something like your first post we have no details to go on. There's not much of a way to have a conversation.

Your second post isn't helpful either.

Do you think we are being overly critical of Bernie, and if so, why? Hard to have a conversation without know what you are talking about

I've always thought PoliGAF posters specifically are over-critical of Bernie. It's become quite fun to read only because of how balls-to-the-wall bonkers it gets. I guess that's a primary for you. Ultimately, however, each poster here just cares about the country but has a different idea about how to better it. That's what's important in the end so it's cool.

The problem with creating a democrat Fox News is that it will just perpetuate the problem we currently have. I agree that facts aren't always politically neutral, I disagree that the news leans left. Our problem is that people get into these news bubbles and are never challenged from there, nothing that disproves their world view gets through. That's a huge problem we need to be fighting against. We should be making the news less ideological, not more.

We need more Murrow, not more O'Reilly.

I don't think the news leans left either. I was really just referring to most largely popular online sources. Perhaps just the ones I frequent. I think you're right though. Present the facts. I understand why someone would want a left-leaning news network, but I suppose you right in that it's the wrong way about fixing the root problem.

Then why invoke Fox News? That's exactly what Fox news is for the right.

Do you really think Bernie wanted to references lies and deceit when he brought up fox news? Maybe, just maybe, it was just a poor example intended to convey [XBiasedNewsNetwork]?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, when we talk about a "Democratic Fox News", are we talking about a left leaning network that straight up lies and distorts stuff? Cause I don't think that's what Bernie meant.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait, when we talk about a "Democratic Fox News", are we talking about a left leaning network that straight up lies and distorts stuff? Cause I don't think that's what Bernie meant.

I think he means a left wing network to push the Democrats' agenda like FOX does for the GOP, but no matter what he meant it's the wrong way to fix the problem we currently have. In fact, I'm not so sure he recognizes the current problem.

royalan

Then why invoke Fox News? That's exactly what Fox news is for the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom