• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to think Trump will win, the things that we all criticize him for, I think the people who will actually go out and vote in November don't care about any of that shit

They are extremely motivated to vote and that's what matter, shitting on him day and night on the internet never translated to one vote

If the electorate entirely consisted of white dudes, I would agree with you. To win, Trump needs to grow his base, where does that growth come from?

ER2ydfM.gif

NeoXChaos

Jon Ralston ‏@RalstonReports 42m42 minutes ago
They had to take Boxer off big screen because Bernie supporter blocking camera with sign. I kid you not.

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports

Jon Ralston ‏@RalstonReports 1h1 hour ago
Um, Bernie people, you are going to lose every motion today. (And they are now chanting in protest.)
Microcosm of Philly? I think so.
Jon Ralston ‏@RalstonReports 2h2 hours ago
Bernie folks booing @CatherineforNV after she hypes Hillary. She tries to mitigate with Bernie blandishments. Unity now!
This NV convention seems fun. Bernie fans are having none of it.

Iolo

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports

This NV convention seems fun. Bernie fans are having none of it.

Sanders spokesperson even asked angry supporters to move back from the stage. Sorry Bernie, but this is what you get when your message is "everything is rigged". I wonder if this is slowly dawning on them, or if he just doesn't care.

Small upside: Trump is capable of doing enough damage to himself while we wait for Sanders to acknowledge the inevitable.

ampere

Mark Cuban's great contribution to society is his Silicon Valley self. Will he also give us a 400 EV Hillary win?

would be amusing/sad if it was the Democrats who had the more tumultuous national convention.

Bernie is trying his damnedest!

I guess there might be some chaos over the VP pick at the RNC

If the electorate entirely consisted of white dudes, I would agree with you. To win, Trump needs to grow his base, where does that growth come from?

Low voter turnout is why he will win, he doesn't need to win more than what he has now, Just has to flip a couple swing states which I think he is very capable of doing

It's only May, once the nominations are official and real attack blitz on Clinton starts, they will make her out to be the she-devil, which she is already viewed as by many liberals even

Tubie

Low voter turnout is why he will win, he doesn't need to win more than what he has now, Just has to flip a couple swing states which I think he is very capable of doing

It's only May, once the nominations are official and real attack blitz on Clinton starts, they will make her out to be the she-devil, which she is already viewed as by many liberals even

The attack blitz on Hillary has been going on for decades and never really stopped. Her numbers will only go up once the primaries are over.

The attack blitz on Hillary has been going on for decades and never really stopped. Her numbers will only go up once the primaries are over.

Right now you have the problem of Bernie supporters buying into the right wing attacks. Some of them may stay salty, but by mid summer I expect that Benghazi and the email nontroversy will go back to being exclusively conservative wingnut shit.

It's interesting: I've seen a few Bernie supporters now talking about how Fox News is the only place telling the unbiased truth about Clinton, and how the MSM is so corrupt. These sweet summer children. I almost want Bernie to get the nomination just so they can watch what Fox News will do to him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

If there's one thing HRC and Trump have in common is that they been under constant media scrutiny for basically the entirety of their time in the public eye.

Months of hard core attack ads on Clinton have a good chance to increase Dem turnout amongst the core. The more contentious it is, the more it will drive turnout. And the more he attacks Clinton, the harder he has to work to win over women. It's a sticky situation.

You can't win anymore with just white dudes.

stuart stevens ‏@stuartpstevens 5h5 hours ago
If RR got same demographic percentages today he got in '80, he'd have lost to Carter instead of winning 44 states.

What states does Trump flip? Look at the demographics and tell me how he possibly wins Florida? Even if he sweeps the Rust belt it isn't enough for him. He will need to play defense in places like Georgia and Texas (he will win Texas but he will have to spend more resources there then Republicans have in decades). How does he carry Colorado or New Mexico? Latino turnout sure as hell isn't going to be down.

They are practically tied in polls, Trump is going up and up in these polls

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKCN0Y21TN

A poll with 27% undeclared? Come on...

Tubie

They are practically tied in polls, Trump is going up and up in these polls

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll-idUSKCN0Y21TN

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-clinton

Trump already has republicans (most) unified behind him.

Clinton is still dealing with Sanders. His supporters will need time to heal, but I believe most of them will support Hillary in the end.

I'm also willing to bet Trump will drive Latinos to vote (for Hillary of course) in record numbers, this is not reflected in the polls at all.

I'm also willing to bet Trump will drive Latinos to vote (for Hillary of course) in record numbers, this is not reflected in the polls at all.

I believe this will be offset but the record number of republicans Trump has been getting out to vote

People forget it's only a couple states he needs, the rest of the states will still be red or blue like they always are

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I believe this will be offset but the record number of republicans Trump has been getting out to vote

People forget it's only a couple states he needs, the rest of the states will still be red or blue like they always are
I don't think people forgot about Ohio and Virginia and Florida. There just isn't any reason he'd win them.

Tubie

You are making it sound like the "couple of states" he needs is an easy road for him.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/57mm7

He basically needs to win PA, OH, NC, and FL. I would call that a near impossible path to him just on demographics alone.

Hillary just needs to take one of those states from him and he's done.

We're not even taking into account the states that might be in play now because Trump is the nominee. The RNC will have to waste time and money defending states like AZ, GA and UT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Show me on this map how you see it going down. He needs way, way more than a couple of states.
Fill the biggest states red until you hit 270 and then turn the rest blue. Easy. I mean it it has no relationship to logic or why Trump would somehow win those states but you can mathematically swing it for sure.

We say it's impossible for him to win all these swing states, but we also thought it was impossible for him to win the nomination before the primaries started. I think I'm over thinking "his run is over". People overestimate American intelligence, this country voted for Bush AFTER they saw the Iraq war play out, I put nothing past the general population

We say it's impossible for him to win all these swing states, but we also thought it was impossible for him to win the nomination before the primaries started. I think I'm over thinking "his run is over". People overestimate American intelligence, this country voted for Bush AFTER they saw the Iraq war play out, I put nothing past the general population

Nah. Trump is fuq'd

Godslay

Banned
Right now you have the problem of Bernie supporters buying into the right wing attacks. Some of them may stay salty, but by mid summer I expect that Benghazi and the email nontroversy will go back to being exclusively conservative wingnut shit.

It's interesting: I've seen a few Bernie supporters now talking about how Fox News is the only place telling the unbiased truth about Clinton, and how the MSM is so corrupt. These sweet summer children. I almost want Bernie to get the nomination just so they can watch what Fox News will do to him.

For the sake of accuracy, it's an active FBI investigation. Let's call it what it is, instead of coming up with cutsie names such as nontroversy and nothingburgers.

It's not a matter of being salty or buying into 'right wing attacks', it's voting for the candidate you believe in. Hillary isn't that person, and I don't think there is much that will change that opinion for some people. I think that's perfectly fair.

Why do people continue to attack Bernie supporters when supposedly Hillary has it locked down and has nothing to worry about from the investigation? Wouldn't you think that the best course is to try and lure them into your tent as opposed to burning the village down?

HylianTom

Banned
For the sake of accuracy, it's an active FBI investigation. Let's call it what it is, instead of coming up with cutsie names such as nontroversy and nothingburgers.

It's not a matter of being salty or buying into a 'right wing attacks', it's voting for the candidate you believe in. Hillary isn't that person, and I don't think there is much that will change that opinion for some people. I think that's perfectly fair.

Why do people continue to attack Bernie supporters when supposedly Hillary has it locked down and has nothing to worry about from the investigation? Wouldn't you think that the best course is to try and lure them into your tent as opposed to burning the village down?

The vast, vast majority of Bernie supporters are cool-headed folks who will do the logical thing come November. They realise that Hillary and Bernie agree far more than disagree, and they don't buy into the asinine, reality-challenged rhetoric suggesting that she's a "secret Republican" or "Republican-lite." When the nomination is settled, Bernie is going to acknowledge this for all to see. He'll reason that a Republican winning the White House would be disasterous for the long-term prospects of his vision being fulfilled, and most of his supporters - while not necessarily being enthused - are going to agree with his assessment.

I don't think folks are attacking all Bernie supporters. I see that some language is loose and non-exact, lacking an explicit "NotAllBerniefolk" qualifier, but my suspicion is that these attacks are against the kookier segments of his base. The math-challenged, the ones who refuse to acknowledge hard realities of our political system's structure, the ones who seem a bit too eager to cling-onto old Republican attacks.. those folks are going to draw mockery. This shouldn't exactly be a shocking thing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think we said anything. There are like 15 gaffers who picked him to win as far back as like August.

It's not a matter of being salty or buying into 'right wing attacks', it's voting for the candidate you believe in. Hillary isn't that person, and I don't think there is much that will change that opinion for some people. I think that's perfectly fair.

Because no one cares about the email nothingburger on principle: Republicans use it as one of their long series of nothingburger scandal accusations (see Whitewater, Monica Lewinski, Obama's birth certificate, Solyndra, Benghazi, Fast & Furious, now this), and Bernie fans care because Hillary is their political opponent. Once Bernie drops out, that part of it should go away, and it can go back to being something that only Republicans care about.

They should get some shit for it though. You don't use the dark side against another Jedi in a friendly duel.

pigeon

Banned
When I say "we", I'm not referring to GAF, but just general public and media pundits

Nate Silver, who admittedly was totally wrong on this, made the point that I think is accurate here -- the people who argued that Trump couldn't win the nomination were arguing that he couldn't win in spite of the polls saying he'd win. The people who are arguing that Trump can't win the presidency are arguing that the polls are accurate in saying he can't win. Two different situations.

Shorn of priors, the data has said for almost a year that Trump has a great chance to win the nomination and a terrible chance to win the general. People added a lot of priors to reflect their belief that he couldn't win the nomination, which turned out to be wrong. But the same isn't really true for the general.

Oh of course it's not impossible, anything can happen.

I just see no reason to think that him winning is the most likely outcome tho.
But they're already practically tied, man!

Trump is enjoying a dead cat bounce that aside from Ras still doesn't put him in the lead. I'm not going to call this a sure thing but it's at least 80-20.

Nate Silver, who admittedly was totally wrong on this, made the point that I think is accurate here -- the people who argued that Trump couldn't win the nomination were arguing that he couldn't win in spite of the polls saying he'd win. The people who are arguing that Trump can't win the presidency are arguing that the polls are accurate in saying he can't win. Two different situations.

Shorn of priors, the data has said for almost a year that Trump has a great chance to win the nomination and a terrible chance to win the general. People added a lot of priors to reflect their belief that he couldn't win the nomination, which turned out to be wrong. But the same isn't really true for the general.

But polls are starting to show he is neck and neck with Clinton, should we doubt the polls now?

But polls are starting to show he is neck and neck with Clinton, should we doubt the polls now?

Her polling average right now is still +5.7

Trump No on PredictIt is the best investment you can make right now at 60c a share. It's like a 6 month Treasury bond with a 60% yield.

And it has a lot of outs. Hillary can get indicted tomorrow, and you still get paid after Biden parachutes in and beats Trump.

pigeon

Banned

I just said no!

If the polls start showing Trump winning then yeah, we'll have to come to terms with the fact that America is over. But this is the moment you'd expect him to be strongest and he's still behind by a lot.

Godslay

Banned
The vast, vast majority of Bernie supporters are cool-headed folks who will do the logical thing come November. They realise that Hillary and Bernie agree far more than disagree, and they don't buy into the asinine, reality-challenged rhetoric suggesting that she's a "secret Republican" or "Republican-lite." When the nomination is settled, Bernie is going to acknowledge this for all to see. He'll reason that a Republican winning the White House would be disasterous for the long-term prospects of his vision being fulfilled, and most of his supporters - while not necessarily being enthused - are going to agree with his assessment.

I don't think folks are attacking all Bernie supporters. I see that some language is loose and non-exact, lacking an explicit "NotAllBerniefolk" qualifier, but my suspicion is that these attacks are against the kookier segments of his base. The math-challenged, the ones who refuse to acknowledge hard realities of our political system's structure, the ones who seem a bit too eager to cling-onto old Republican attacks.. those folks are going to draw mockery. This shouldn't exactly be a shocking thing.

Sounds fair enough.

If they think they have it wrapped up, courting is more important than putting someone on blast.

Because no one cares about the email nothingburger on principle: Republicans use it as one of their long series of nothingburger scandal accusations (see Whitewater, Monica Lewinski, Obama's birth certificate, Solyndra, Benghazi, Fast & Furious, now this), and Bernie fans care because Hillary is their political opponent. Once Bernie drops out, that part of it should go away, and it can go back to being something that only Republicans care about.

They should get some shit for it though. You don't use the dark side against another Jedi in a friendly duel.

Maybe some people care because... I don't know it's a serious investigation and looks like shit to the party they support? Never hurts to look at the man in the mirror as opposed to pointing the finger at everyone else.

It could be possible that some of these 'Bernie Bros' are more concerned with the integrity of their candidate than adhering to some terrible Star Wars analogy.

I expect him to be at his weakest right now, especially because it's before the republican machine really gets behind him
The republican machine is already behind him. His relative rise in the polls is due to people already coalescing behind him.

This is his bounce and it's doing shit-all for him.

He has yet to be heavily targeted by the Clinton machine either. This isn't a one way street.

lenovox1

I expect him to be at his weakest right now, especially because it's before the republican machine really gets behind him

This should, statistically and historically, not be his weakest point since he is now the presumptive Republican nominee and there is not technically a Democratic nominee. His strongest point will likely be soon after the Republican National Convention.

The demographics do not support a Donald Trump win at this time, meaning it is not the most likely outcome.

Btw Romney didn't get a post-RNC bump. It isn't a given that Trump will get one. It might have the effect of bringing in any other Republicans who've yet to rally behind him, but I can't imagine him making great overtures to independents or soft Democrats who aren't already in his camp.

It's not about integrity. It's about, "According to my interpretation of Statutes A and B, and executive orders C and D, technically you're guilty of X, Y and Z. You lose!" It's the King v Burwell of political controversies.

"Technically the ambassador of Norway telling you he likes My Little Pony is information that's born classified! You lose!"
"It doesn't matter if the drone program is common knowledge, it's still technically an SAP program! One of our most closely guarded secrets! You lose!"
"It doesn't matter that no one at the State Department thinks this was sensitive information, technically X department was the original classification authority, and they think it is. You're gonna get in trouble!"

Basically it's Moops all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom