• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
In New York, 28 percent of the entire delegation is supposed to be African-American; 20 percent Latino; eight percent Asian and Pacific Islander; eight percent LGBT; and five percent disabled Americans. One delegate must represent Native Americans and 33 percent are slated to represent “Youth,” defined as anyone under the age of 36.

Those recommendations vary from state to state, depending on demographics, but each state is required to have an equal gender balance.

“We have an awful lot of white, male elected officials or party leaders who have done a tremendous amount of work for Hillary Clinton," said Clinton donor Jay Jacobs who is helping with New York's delegate selection process. "But they just can’t get in as delegates.”

People who can check multiple boxes have a better shot. Jacobs said one hard-working upstate Clinton supporter who is young, Asian and gay is a shoo-in as an at-large delegate. “You can be darn sure he’s getting in,” he laughed.
And so the alt-right Trump brigade grows thanks to Hillary.

VRMN

Hillary is blamed because A) she stayed with him, despite him being accused of sexual harassment and rape, and B) she made disparaging comments about several accusers, and Juanita Broaddrick, the one who accused him of outright rape, accused Hillary of intimidating her.

Now, assuming Hillary simply believes Bill is innocent, her staying with and defending him makes sense, to me, but it's hard to square with the modern ethos of feminism that Hillary is trying to act as an avatar of, in which belief in the verity of victims' accusations is held as a necessary foundation. Not having much truck with such positions, this doesn't bother me all that much, but two conservative-skewing women in my life who I know have been raped and generally support the "believing victims first" principle see this as rank hypocrisy on her part, proof that she cares more for advancing her political career than her stated principles.
This makes sense, but trying to see from Hillary's perspective, she's trying to square a really terrible accusation about her husband that she really doesn't want to believe. It's a shitty position to be in where your personal feelings and moral positions are in conflict. That she erred on the side of believing her husband, whom she presumably loves (loved?), is not an uncommon one.

Either way, I think blaming Hillary for Bill's baggage is a step too far. Even staying with him, for whatever her reasons are, are her reasons. Forgiveness, for Chelsea, for herself...It's kind of her choice as far as I'm concerned.

benjipwns

Banned
it's hard to square with the modern ethos of feminism that Hillary is trying to act as an avatar of, in which belief in the verity of victims' accusations is held as a necessary foundation. Not having much truck with such positions, this doesn't bother me all that much, but two conservative-skewing women in my life who I know have been raped and generally support the "believing victims first" principle see this as rank hypocrisy on her part, proof that she cares more for advancing her political career than her stated principles.
For the record, this is what I was alluding to above.

benjipwns

Banned

But these Republicans — including commentators William Kristol and Erick Erickson and strategists Mike Murphy, Stuart Stevens and Rick Wilson
Murphy envisions an independent candidate on what he termed “an honorable mission” in Colorado, New Hampshire and Ohio — three battleground states with relatively lax ballot-access rules.

“Running an anti-Trump protest candidate in a handful of swing states really appeals to me,” Murphy said. “You could deny Trump the presidency and perhaps help important Senate and other down-ballot races by giving another choice to Republican voters who abhor Hillary Clinton and can’t cross the moral line to vote for Trump.”
What could go wrong? Get Murphy another $100 million STAT!

But any hunger for Sasse as that candidate seems limited. Fans launched an unofficial “Draft Sasse” committee May 4, but a week later, it counted less than 700 followers on Twitter and 49 on Facebook.
I wonder how many followers I can get for a "Draft benji 2020" campaign.

Fmr. Gov. Jindal: Obamacare is Slamming the Middle Class
“I thought it was actually comical, if you listen to the court case, the Obama Administration’s own attorneys, this wasn’t Republicans, their own attorneys said, ‘well this was just a poorly written law.’” the former Louisiana Governor told the FOX Business Network’s Neil Cavuto.

Jindal raised concerns about how the Obama Administration initially handled funding for the Affordable Care Act.

“The Administration again and again thinks they’re above the law. Any basic high school student, anybody that’s taken a basic civics course understands that Congress has the power of the purse. They asked Congress for this money, Congress said no in 2014 and they spent it anyway,” Jindal said.
“The president said he was going to bend down the cost curve when it comes to health care, they didn’t do that. Neil, they are bad not just at constitutional law, they are bad at math. The reality is, the result of this case, if it is upheld, you’re looking at 20%-30% premium increases for the majority of people who get their health care through the exchanges, who get their silver plans through the federal exchanges. Something like 57% are getting these subsidies,” said Jindal.
“But you’re right, you made the most important point, it’s the middle class, they’re the ones that are going to end up, they’re the ones, they and their children will pay for this debt, they’re the ones whose premiums haven’t gone down, they’re premiums have gone up, they’re the ones who are facing fewer choices in the health insurance marketplace.”
Can the democrats afford to cede such a vital voting bloc to the republicans?

benjipwns

Banned
Wouldn't... A Sasse candidacy just split the Republican vote and make NH, CO, and OH even safer for Hillary?
IT'S ABOUT CONSERVATIVE PRINCIPLES, NOT WINNING

The question with which I wrestle is, if the right were to “win” with Trump in November, what will they have won beyond an election? The vision for conservatism to which they devoted their careers will have been thoroughly repudiated. Their conception of an attractive and inviting conservatism that appeals to a majority of Americans over tribal identity politics will have been destroyed, and by their own hands. If “winning” is all that matters, what distinguishes conservative media from those helpful reporters who aided the Obama administration in selling the Iran deal or those who laugh along with Obama’s speechwriters over the skillfulness of their deceptions? The logic of winning at any cost is self-fulfilling and compromising.

sphagnum

Banned
As an European. How is congress elected in the GE? Is it a separate vote?

Yes, but it appears on the same ballot, which is just divided into different sections. One section asks you to vote for a presidential candidate, one section asks you to vote for a Senator, one section asks you to vote on some local issue that made it on the ballot this year, etc.

VRMN

One ballot that covers all races that are relevant to the district in question. So you'll vote for President, US Senator, US Representative, state Senator, state Representative, city councillor...And anything else that's up in your area. There are also usually ballot referendums that are direct votes on proposed laws.

benjipwns

Banned
Here's a sample ballot from 2012 in Michigan;
lrqwzVO.jpg

I think there's some underlying willingness to kill the Trump orthodoxy from the Republican party by ensuring he doesn't win the presidency too. If he wins, Trumpism is the Republican party. If he doesn't, it will be easier to reform around someone else and get back to "conservative" orthodoxy.

But it's more complicated than that too.

Hillary is blamed because A) she stayed with him, despite him being accused of sexual harassment and rape, and B) she made disparaging comments about several accusers, and Juanita Broaddrick, the one who accused him of outright rape, accused Hillary of intimidating her.

Now, assuming Hillary simply believes Bill is innocent, her staying with and defending him makes sense, to me, but it's hard to square with the modern ethos of feminism that Hillary is trying to act as an avatar of, in which belief in the verity of victims' accusations is held as a necessary foundation. Not having much truck with such positions, this doesn't bother me all that much, but two conservative-skewing women in my life who I know have been raped and generally support the "believing victims first" principle see this as rank hypocrisy on her part, proof that she cares more for advancing her political career than her stated principles.

The original ethos has gotten a little misinterpreted.

The general public is not required to believe every unsubstantiated rape claim. It means that police, campus officials, friends, etc should take the story of an alleged victim seriously and not dismiss it out of hand.

#3452: Believing your husband while Hillary Clinton.

Dear God, if your wife or husband was accused of rape, you would defend them. Bill is a creepy sexual predator, Hillary shouldn't be blamed for that.

Wilsongt

Phil Berger
North Carolina senator
· Yesterday at 1:14pm ·

“The last time I checked, the United States is not ruled by a king who can bypass Congress and the courts and force school-aged boys and girls to share the same bathrooms and locker rooms. This is an egregiously unconstitutional overreach of the president's authority, and North Carolina's public schools should follow state law which protects our children’s safety and privacy.”

They are certainly digging their heels in to an issue that was barely on the radar of anyone a few years ago.

I eagerly await sexual orientation and gender identity to become protected classes at the federal level.

Teggy

I'm all for these executive orders, but why now? We already have a good chance of the most conservative voters staying home due to trump, why risk getting them energized to vote against the democrats or for some spate of bathroom ballot initiatives that will probably be on ballots in the fall now. Let Hillary do it in January.

I'm all for these executive orders, but why now? We already have a good chance of the most conservative voters staying home due to trump, why risk getting them energized to vote against the democrats or for some spate of bathroom ballot initiatives that will probably be on ballots in the fall now. Let Hillary do it in January.

It wasn't an executive order, just guidelines. Although they did mention the federal funding.

It's crazy to think about, but I think they are doing it because they think it's the right thing. Lynch's statement on the matter was shockingly honest and emotional.

It wasn't an executive order, just guidelines. Although they did mention the federal funding.

My understanding is that the guidelines where a response to direct questions from the states. They mentioned funding because it was part of what the states asked about. I don't think they are going to threaten after-school programs and discounted lunches over this.

User 406

Banned
Fmr. Gov. Jindal: Obamacare is Slamming the Middle Class

Can the democrats afford to cede such a vital voting bloc to the republicans?

Wait, you're an entire voting bloc now? Congrats!

To energize liberal voters to vote for Democrats, of course.

Armaros

Its brings up these things to to forefront and tells Democrats why they need to vote, because else you let people like NC republicans into office.

benjipwns

Banned
More Kasich

Lmao yes pls
How can Kasich resist the possibility of more free food?
sry

An obvious possible contestant is Kasich, who portrayed himself in the GOP primaries as a pragmatist with crossover appeal. Since he dropped out, Romney and other Republicans have tried to persuade him to forge an independent run.

But Kasich’s advisers dismissed the idea. “The governor is not entertaining nor will he run as an independent,” spokesman Chris Schrimpf said.

John Weaver, Kasich’s chief strategist, said of the governor’s courters: “They had plenty of time and opportunity to influence the [GOP] nomination battle in a constructive way, and they didn’t for whatever reason. The idea of running someone as a third party, particularly the way they’re going about it, is not going to be effective and is not practical.”

kadotsu

Banned
Thanks everyone for the detailed answers. So with Trump as the nominee, could conservative donors try to put all the money on the contested Senate/House races instead of the presidential or is this wasted money because a voter that is voting Democratic in the presidential will also vote this way in the other races?

The original ethos has gotten a little misinterpreted.

The general public is not required to believe every unsubstantiated rape claim. It means that police, campus officials, friends, etc should take the story of an alleged victim seriously and not dismiss it out of hand.

I happen to agree, and myself practice agnosticism unless there is reasonably substantive available evidence that an accusation is true or false, but that's not where feminism is right now.

#3452: Believing your husband while Hillary Clinton.

Dear God, if your wife or husband was accused of rape, you would defend them. Bill is a creepy sexual predator, Hillary shouldn't be blamed for that.

That's fine, and I agree it's a perfectly natural reaction, but the reason it bothers people is because there is inconsistency on SOME level here, no matter how you cut it. Either her own husband is a blind spot for her, showing she can't live by the creed she would prescribe for others (assuming that by "believe victims" she is expressing solidarity with the current feminist mainstream conception of that phrase, in which accusations are to be presumed true unless there is VERY good evidence they are not), or her espoused belief in that ethos is either false or contains caveats and modifications not publicly shared (not yet, at least), or she really does think he was guilty but stayed with him because of the fear that divorce would harm her irreparably in the public eye and curtail her possible political achievements. Whether or not you think there are external factors that mitigate these perceived inconsistencies, I think it's fair to say it's an issue she should have stayed away from.

benjipwns

Banned
Media lay the groundwork for Hillary, the victim
While the 2016 campaign has been hard to predict, the media know how they want to play it: Hillary Clinton, the likely Democratic nominee, will be the dignified victim of relentless "attacks" from her wild and hostile Republican opponent, Donald Trump.

The press has painted the picture clearly in the days since Trump became the de facto GOP nominee. In a May 6 interview, NBC "Nightly News" anchor Lester Holt encouraged Trump to "start on her" by asking if there is anything that is "off the table" when it comes to campaigning against her.

"You've said a number of times that you haven't started on Hillary Clinton," said Holt, inviting Trump to strike his opponent. "So start on her. Give me three words that you would use to define her, that you will use as you press forward."

By comparison, Holt interviewed Clinton in January and he asked her to respond to criticism she faces from her political opponents.

"I was wondering, you've obviously been in tough battles, political battles," said Holt. "But do you get your feelings hurt sometimes?"

Granted the opportunity, Clinton took it. "I have led a very public life now for 25 years," she said. "I've been subjected to all kinds of attacks, in large measure because of what I stand for and what I fight for. But I'm going to answer questions regardless of where they come from or who poses them."

Jake Tapper told the same story in a May 6 interview on CNN.
His flair for the insult made its way into his run for the Republican nomination. He devastated Jeb Bush's candidacy by calling him "low-energy," an emasculating moniker that stuck. For Marco Rubio, it was "little Marco." For Trump's last standing serious threat, Ted Cruz, it was "Lyin' Ted."

And his cannon was regularly trained on his critics in the media, which could give members of the press a reason to dig into their opposition toward him.

"You know, when I watch a George Will or a Charles Krauthammer, you know, I've watched them for years, they're losers," Trump said last summer, referring to the popular conservative columnists. "They're just losers. They sit there, they haven't done anything."

Of Will, Trump said in January, "Take away the glasses, he looks like a dumb guy."

Trump's barbs were lobbed with glee, and they electrified supporters at his massive rallies around the country. And, though the smart thinkers in Washington thought Trump's mouth would do him in, the opposite happened. He charged his way to the GOP nomination after crushing Ted Cruz in Indiana in late April.

But Clinton hasn't been a quiet bystander, and she seems to relish her role as a critic of Trump's campaign style.

She initiated her first big attack on Trump in December, saying in an interview with an Iowa newspaper that the billionaire developer has "demonstrated a penchant for sexism," citing disparaging comments he had made about some women.

She has repeatedly called him a "loose cannon."
And Clinton allies have said worse. The op-ed pages of the national newspapers, which are more sympathetic to Democratic causes, regularly dub Trump a "racist," "bigot" and "xenophobe."

In an interview with the Washington Post in March, David Brock, a longtime Clinton ally and Democratic strategist, reduced Trump's entire candidacy to "the last stand of the angry white man."

On MSNBC that same month, Brock threatened to "make the case to the American people against Donald Trump in a way that the Republican Party, frankly, has failed to do."

Even so, Clinton is consistently set up by news reports and interviews as the unfortunate recipient of incoming fire.

"Clinton's team is preparing for what could be one of the nastiest campaigns in recent memory," wrote Dan Balz, the Washington Post's top political reporter, in a story published in early May. It went on to quote Clinton's campaign manager Robby Mook.

"Hillary set out a year ago to be a champion for everyday people and to help families finally start getting ahead again in this economy," he said. "That's what she's going to keep talking about in the general election ... Trump, I'm sure, will try to bully and throw out insults. That's not going to derail her."

NBC News analyst and GOP strategist Mike Murphy said on April 27 that Trump's "method" is "to turn on the insult comedy against Hillary Clinton," and that her "big judo move is playing the victim."

The opening sentence of a New York Times report published the next day said that Trump "is likely to attack" Clinton in a general election face-off "precisely because she is a woman."
This just confirms everything we've known about Hillary's underhanded tactics and big media corporations alliance. First smearing Sanders endlessly, now President-elect Trump.

benjipwns

Banned
Thanks everyone for the detailed answers. So with Trump as the nominee, could conservative donors try to put all the money on the contested Senate/House races instead of the presidential or is this wasted money because a voter that is voting Democratic in the presidential will also vote this way in the other races?
The Kochs have said they will essentially be doing this as they don't support Trump.

Congressional, Senate and other local races can be influenced by a general national mood, but they often turn on things far more specific to those races.

And ballot splitting is not uncommon. Especially in cases where the Senator or House member is a long-termer or highly popular. A state may send GOP Electoral Votes to D.C. along with a Democratic Senator.

NeoXChaos

stuart stevens ‏@stuartpstevens 5h5 hours ago
stuart stevens Retweeted Alan Poirier
If RR got same demographic percentages today he got in '80, he'd have lost to Carter instead of winning 44 states.

benjipwns

Banned
Poll: Clinton, Trump struggling against Sanders in Georgia
Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump are locked in a statistical tie in Georgia, according to an Atlanta Journal-Constitution poll that laid bare the deep divide over the presidential race.

Trump’s 4-point lead over Clinton — he’s at 45 percent — is within the poll’s margin of error, meaning neither can confidently claim a state that’s voted for the GOP nominee since 1996. Sprinkled throughout are reminders of the challenges both face in capturing Georgia: dim voter enthusiasm, high unfavorability ratings and deep skepticism from voters.

Perhaps the most telling sign of all: Vermont U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders polled higher than both in one-on-one matchups, winning a potential contest with Trump 47 percent to 42 percent. Although Clinton seems poised to win her party’s nomination, the AJC poll is among a string of surveys bolstering Sanders’ case that he poses the bigger threat to Trump.

Both front-runners have sky-high name recognition — and devastatingly high unfavorability ratings. Nearly two out of three voters have a negative view of Clinton, including a crushing majority of Republicans. A slightly lower number of voters have a negative view of Trump, including a crushing majority of Democrats.
About 63 percent of women had a negative view of the real estate tycoon, whose critics label him a sexist. Still, a significant portion of the women who raised concerns are willing to hold their nose and vote for Trump anyways.

Consider Michelle Flinn, a 43-year-old homemaker from Smyrna, who quickly rattles off a litany of complaints about Trump. She doesn’t like his brusque mannerisms, fears he jumps to conclusions too quickly and worries he doesn’t think his policies through.

And yet: “He’s my only option to beat the Democrats,”
Flinn said. “And he’s a very smart man who will surround himself with very smart people. Besides, I feel Hillary is so morally and ethically challenged, and I don’t trust her at all.”
Clinton must also overcome an even bigger deficit with Georgia men. Two-thirds of male voters give her poor marks, including Allen Clark, a 58-year-old food service worker in Kennesaw who favors Sanders.

“I’m not interested in having Trump in the White House at all, and Hillary Clinton is the poster child for the status quo and that status quo hasn’t served the middle class at all,” he said.

So what’s he going to do?

“I’m going to sit out November. At this point in my life — I’ve observed politics for a long time,” he said. “I’ve been on both sides of the fence, and I’m entirely sure that both parties are bought and paid for. Voting is a waste of time.”
The Democrats still have time to salvage this and get Bernie to the nomination.

They probably will be propping up House/Senate candidates. There is ticket splitting in this country. For example, Obama won 209 congressional districts in 2012, but Democrats only held 192 of those (they also won in 9 Romney districts - after 2014 this went down to 183 and 5, respectively). There are also five Democratic senators from Romney states, all elected in 2012. And a whopping 11 Republican senators from Obama states.

However, those numbers are significantly lower than it used to be and it may be a bit of a fool's errand. If Hillary expanded on Obama's 2012 margin by 3 points she'll likely win 241 congressional districts, which means even more Republicans are going to have to run further ahead of the nominee. Of course a lot of those extra districts will essentially be coin flips.

Also many states give voters the option to just vote straight-ticket one party (as shown in the Michigan ballot). I honestly don't know how many people would go from straight-ticket GOP to straight-ticket Democrat, but man, people are lazy. Could see a lot of Romney-Clinton voters just doing that.

itschris

New York Times: Sheldon Adelson Is Poised to Give Donald Trump a Donation Boost

The casino magnate Sheldon G. Adelson told Donald J. Trump in a private meeting last week that he was willing to contribute more to help elect him than he has to any previous campaign, a sum that could exceed $100 million, according to two Republicans with direct knowledge of Mr. Adelson’s commitment.

As significant, Mr. Adelson, a billionaire based in Las Vegas, has decided that he will significantly scale back his giving to congressional Republicans and direct most of his contributions to groups dedicated to Mr. Trump’s campaign.

What remains unclear is how Mr. Adelson plans to contribute his money to Mr. Trump. He will give the maximum allowed to Mr. Trump’s campaign and the Republican National Committee, but to spend the amount he contemplates would require donating through a “super PAC,” able to accept unlimited donations.

According to the Republicans familiar with Mr. Adelson’s planning, he and his advisers are still uncertain about which super PAC to use as their vehicle for the bulk of the contributions. They are wary of some of the current groups that purportedly exist to help Mr. Trump, who has been clear that he is uneasy with outside entities promoting his candidacy. At rallies, he has consistently criticized opponents who relied on super PACS, saying they were being bought by wealthy donors.

Mr. Adelson is frustrated by congressional gridlock and believes the only way to affect the country’s political system is to ensure a Republican president is elected, say the Republicans familiar with his thinking.

While he may help some local or gubernatorial candidates, he is not planning to give much to congressional candidates or super PACs dedicated to keeping Republican control of the House and Senate, a substantial blow given the largess he has showered on them in recent elections.

Mr. Trump assured the Adelsons that he was dedicated to protecting Israel’s security, an issue about which the couple are passionate.

So much for Trump not being "bought by wealthy donors"!

Nevada flipped back to reflecting the results of the initial caucus at the state convention. Some Bernie people pissed and throwing fits about rules and platform. Philly?

I'm starting to think Trump will win, the things that we all criticize him for, I think the people who will actually go out and vote in November don't care about any of that shit

They are extremely motivated to vote and that's what matter, shitting on him day and night on the internet never translated to one vote

Earlier prospects included former senator Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) and retired Marine Corps Gen. James N. Mattis. Former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice and retired Army Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal have been bandied about as potentially potent political outsiders.

The recruiters also delved into the world of reality television for someone who might out-Trump Trump: Mark Cuban, the brash billionaire businessman and owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...04682e-1877-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

Oh my fucking god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom