• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also never answered my question about how he expects Bernie to pass anything through an obstructionist Congress. Drats.

I have other friends that are on the verge of this same fanaticism, so I don't know if I should just ignore it. It's like trying to explain to a friend they've jumped unwittingly into a pyramid scheme.
I asked him once how he expects Bernie to get anything done without also winning Congress. He told me "Of course he'll win Congress, that's the revolution, bro!"

Which just made me think - does anyone else find the use of the word "bro" to be enormously condescending?

I think my favorite thing about this primary season is just how overly confident some of the truly deranged Bernie supporters can get. The kind who make memes like this:

6dGkHF7.jpg

Like I can't imagine projecting such cockiness in the face of certain defeat, and even basic fucking logic. Bernie's not going to win all those delegates, and it's likely he won't even win most of them. All that does is set yourself up for an even bigger disappointment when your ass is handed to you. (Btw, that 546 number includes the dreaded superdelegates)

Also - the past 10-15 years or so of my family life has been dominated by pyramid schemes so I know the feeling ~_~

Bernie may be doing poorly with AA voters, but posts like these have been teetering on the line of racism for a while now.

There is nothing wrong with a bunch of white people showing up to a rally in a predominantly black city. Rally attendees aren't all that local anyway.
I don't understand how this is teetering on the line of racism. Not trying to start a multi-page argument, but I just don't understand.
I'm amazed that she's still on the campaign trail after that drunken rant about Clinton being classist, sexist and racist a couple of weeks ago.

Also fuck Jill Stein. If Bernie was the Democratic nominee she would still be running as a third party candidate so what the fuck does she think she's playing it trying to piggyback on his "movement"?

Piecake

I don't understand how this is teetering on the line of racism. Not trying to start a multi-page argument, but I just don't understand.

I'm amazed that she's still on the campaign trail after that drunken rant about Clinton being classist, sexist and racist a couple of weeks ago.

Did she ever try to support the sexist claim? I am struggling to think of something that you could use for that.

Because a specific race has become the laughingstock and point of derision, which undermines their significance. This is different from merely pointing out variables in statistics.

Also fuck Jill Stein. If Bernie was the Democratic nominee she would still be running as a third party candidate so what the fuck does she think she's playing it trying to piggyback on his "movement"?

Yeah, her anti-vaxxing ass is never getting my vote. She can ride that coattail all the way out the door for all I care.

Huh? Who is snidely mocking Bernie for his crowds? You need to get a grip on things.

What on earth are you talking about?

I thought my posts were pretty clear and unambiguous. If I have failed to elucidate my point by now, I apologize, but I don't know how else to explain it.

how does snidely mocking him for it carry racist undertones? I mean, who are those racist undertones targeted at in that scenario?

White people.

Bernie may be doing poorly with AA voters, but posts like these have been teetering on the line of racism for a while now.

There is nothing wrong with a bunch of white people showing up to a rally in a predominantly black city. Rally attendees aren't all that local anyway.

Detroit has a tiny white population but that doesn't stop white people from going to Red Wings games.

Piecake

White people.

That makes very little sense unless the snide mockery is very specific. Snide mockery targeted at Bernie Sanders for Sanders main supporters being largely white isnt racist against white people. It is snide mockery targeted at Bernie for failing to appeal to other demographics and races.

To have undertones of racism, the snide mockery has to be targeted at the actual demographic. It wouldn't surprise me if some of that is out there, but simply ridiculing Bernie for failing to appeal to more demographics is in no way racist and doesnt even have racist undertones either.

I hope this is some sort of sarcasm.
ahh.gif

Not even remotely, and it's not a laughing matter, IMO.

Detroit has a tiny white population but that doesn't stop white people from going to Red Wings games.

I agree. Same logic applies to Bernie rallies.

Is it racism when other white people are the ones pointing out that Bernie is a thing White People Like?

Sure.

Look at it this way, if Bernie could only get black people to show up at his rallies, and people started posting pictures of them in predominately white cities, while using sarcastic emojis, do you think people would be offended by that?

Sure.

Look at it this way, if Bernie could only get black people to show up at his rallies, and people started posting pictures of them in predominately white cities, while using sarcastic emojis, do you think people would be offended by that?

It depends entirely on your definition of Racism. If your definition requires prejudice + power then it isn't possible to be racist towards white people in America. Differing definitions and understanding of what words means makes discussion, especially on the internet, difficult.

That makes very little sense unless the snide mockery is very specific. Snide mockery targeted at Bernie Sanders for Sanders main supporters being largely white isnt racist against white people. It is snide mockery targeted at Bernie for failing to appeal to other demographics and races.

To have undertones of racism, the snide mockery has to be targeted at the actual demographic. It wouldn't surprise me if some of that is out there, but simply ridiculing Bernie for failing to appeal to more demographics is in no way racist and doesnt even have racist undertones either.

It depends on the execution, which in this case was very careless. Leaving pictures and emojis as a response is too ambiguous, and obviously we have very different interpretations of what that looked like.

Touchdown

Banned

Sure.

I KNOW you're not trying to call me racist for pointing out his crowds are mostly white. I'm white by the way, and that shouldn't have anything to do with anything either. Your argument makes no sense. I'm not one to play with so I suggest you shut it down on the racism accusations and keep it moving.

Trancos

Why is it that people from other countries are always trying to lecture Americans on American things!
I'm not even American and that drives me crazy.
It's not that we can't have a discussion about the specifics of each country, system or culture.

It's more the fact that the post usually start by pinning all wrong things to something exclusively 'American'.

I KNOW you're not trying to call me racist for pointing out his crowds are mostly white. I'm white by the way, and that shouldn't have anything to do with anything either. Your argument makes no sense. I'm not one to play with so I suggest you shut it down on the racism accusations and keep it moving.

The conversation will move along just fine. I have no desire to get into a debate about your intentions. I do not claim that your intentions were malicious. I was merely offering my opinion on how it came across to me.

Now this isn't even teetering. It's just flat out racist.

I'm surprised responses like this are allowed on neogaf.

dramatis

I think my favorite thing about this primary season is just how overly confident some of the truly deranged Bernie supporters can get. The kind who make memes like this:

Like I can't imagine projecting such cockiness in the face of certain defeat, and even basic fucking logic. Bernie's not going to win all those delegates, and it's likely he won't even win most of them. All that does is set yourself up for an even bigger disappointment when your ass is handed to you. (Btw, that 546 number includes the dreaded superdelegates)
I don't think it's necessarily cockiness.

Like if you read a lot even around GAF, beyond the number of delegates or something they don't do any more research than that. Not knowing registration deadlines, not looking up distributions, not looking into the history and demographics of a state, and so on. They're "engaged" in the sense that they were hooked into a candidate and follow said candidate thoroughly, but don't engage on the details of the system, opting instead to be "morally superior" and deride and complain about the system rather than understanding.

It's not cockiness, it's ignorance. I think one can only call it cockiness if the people who perpetrate these memes and statements have been informed of the actual state of affairs and still insist on being silly.

I don't expect people to view the election the way I do (as a war), so I don't always expect them to necessarily be knowledgeable about the particulars, such as why Bernie won't be a VP pick. I guess what can be irksome is how judgmental people get about a particular issue before even doing some rudimentary research and discussion on what stances or situations are good/bad for said issue.

Groups in position of institutional power are mocked with no effect on their institutional power.

Man look. Bro culture. Taytay's white people dancing. Kev.

White people are most significant at all possible times and now they're being undermined? The horror.

This shouldn't be happening with ANY race. It shouldn't be 'their turn' to be mocked.

Hello,

I'm a white person who thinks the white "race" could use some laughing at and derision. As a group we're pretty full of shit.

Won't somebody think of the white people?

Being white does not grant you impunity from making racist remarks against your own race.

sotheresachance.gif?
https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/724005176214953988

You know what makes me happy sometimes? Remembering that Ted Cruz is entirely unloved and will never achieve his dreams.
I kinda hope Ted gets the nomination. I hate him so much, but his evil Hillary commercials are great.

can someone prove to me that utah is actually a real state and that i'm not imagining things every time i fly over it to get to the pacific coast

no one could prove this in five entire minutes!!! obviously utah is little more than a conspiracy to make california look further away (and sanders closer) than it actually is

pigeon

Banned
The conversation will move along just fine. I have no desire to get into a debate about your intentions. I do not claim that your intentions were malicious. I was merely offering my opinion on how it came across to me.

Now this isn't even teetering. It's just flat out racist.

I'm surprised responses like this are allowed on neogaf.

Mockery isn't racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom