• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT5| Archdemon Hillary Clinton vs. Lice Traffic Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Listen, you can have paper but you don't become fabulous just because you have it. You won't have an electronic rotating suit rack in your closet just because Saint Bernie gives you free stuff! And that's a fact.

Y2Kev

Idiotic nonsense #imwithjill

WHY DO LIBERALS HATE NUCLEAR

I think we should just feed the waste to occupy wall Street protestors.

Anyone who supports the #TPP should be taken to court and accused of treason. The TPP is dismantling the framework of democracy.

Dr. Stein is fucking insane.

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/709845659180867584

On civil liberties, the press & using espionage laws, Obama has been the worst in history. And there's been no-one worse for immigrants.

Dr. Stein lacks understanding of history. Forgets Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, Ike, Lincoln, Nixon. Sad!

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/709848833157521408

Dr. Jill Stein ‏@DrJillStein Mar 30
Nuclear power plants = weapons of mass destruction waiting to be detonated.
Time to shut them down. #EndNukes

Dr. Jill Stein ‏@DrJillStein Mar 21
We can do better than the predatory solutions that #Democrats and #Republicans are offering. -J #DebateWithJill #FinalFive

Wow way to insult Bernie you shit

fzLqPrz.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
the 911 retweets and 2001 favorites was not clue enough? ;)

Drakeon

Is Nuclear power generally a right wing thing? I know some far left environmentalist groups didn't like it, but it's the only real alternative we have if we want to get off of carob fuels until renewables become more sustainable isn't it?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Did anyone watch The Force Awakens with subtitles?

Why is Obi-Wan the last one to talk to Rey in her nightmare vision?

Well, according to a leaked plot summary from the next movie:
Ewan McGregor is coming back as Obi-wan's force ghost to drop some knowledge on everyone.

Is Nuclear power generally a right wing thing? I know some far left environmentalist groups didn't like it, but it's the only real alternative we have if we want to get off of carob fuels until renewables become more sustainable isn't it?

It shouldn't be. It's just parts of the left are totally nuts.

Shit, she's an anti-vaxxer?

yes

I offer a resounding second "good".

Though I usually level my expectations appropriately, I gotta admit... something I didn't see coming is posters and mods in PoliGAF implying or outright telling me that one of the benefits to white privilege is that it's perfectly acceptable to make sweeping derogatory remarks about all white people because they deserve it. That's a new one.

They're even granted impunity from ToS.

Learn something new everyday.

Being anti-nuclear is not totally nuts. It's the only energy source we have that produces byproducts that are harmful for thousands of years and it has some very high profile disasters associated with it, from Three Mile Island to Chernobyl to the very recent Fukushima. I'm still in favor of expanding nuclear, but let's not act like it's some perfect energy source that is being held up because people are stupid; there are legitimate concerns.

Being anti-nuclear is not totally nuts. It's the only energy source we have that produces byproducts that are harmful for thousands of years and it has some very high profile disasters associated with it, from Three Mile Island to Chernobyl to the very recent Fukushima. I'm still in favor of expanding nuclear, but let's not act like it's some perfect energy source that is being held up because people are stupid; there are legitimate concerns.

This is true.

I got into a long discussion about this before, but it's not a great alternative when there are much safer options.

I'm not anti-nuclear, but I'm not over the moon about nuclear either.

Y2Kev

Meanwhile fossil fuels are linked to the inexorable destruction of the planet in addition to other things like being linked to autism and so on and so forth? I mean yes. Nuclear isnt the answer and it isn't great. But it is AN answer and it will help bridge the gap. The fact we can Name three or four accidents over forty years of nulear power shows you how rare they are and modern facilities are very safe. And three mile island...nothing bad even really happened wrt long term implications. And lol Soviets.

I think it's very very hard to understand how someone can find climate change to be either a or the biggest threat facing our country and also refuse to consider nuclear. Like bill Maher

I believe we are at a tipping point and we need very short term solutions right now. So I'm in favor of natural gas and nuclear while the other solutions scale.

This is not to say you can't have "issues with" nuclear. I have issues with uncomfortable shoes and yet I have to wear them everyday!

Was going to early vote today but I got too busy and I think it's the last day. So, I'll probably go do it on election day.

Then I'll come home and say my vote got switched!
foilhat.gif

Kangi

With this many PoliGAF voters for the Queen in PA, we're guaranteed a double digit victory.

Unless some of you pull a Cheebo.

Tubie

Did anyone watch The Force Awakens with subtitles?

Why is Obi-Wan the last one to talk to Rey in her nightmare vision?

I did recently.

I watched the damn movie 3 times in theater and missed that every time.

He first says: Rey? and then: These are your first steps.

Gave me chills.

Meanwhile fossil fuels are linked to the inexorable destruction of the planet in addition to other things like being linked to autism and so on and so forth? I mean yes. Nuclear isnt the answer and it isn't great. But it is AN answer and it will help bridge the gap. The fact we can Name three or four accidents over forty years of nulear power shows you how rare they are and modern facilities are very safe. And three mile island...nothing bad even really happened wrt long term implications. And lol Soviets.

I think it's very very hard to understand how someone can find climate change to be either a or the biggest threat facing our country and also refuse to consider nuclear. Like bill Maher

I also agree with this. However, the point is that it isn't clear that what you said is the general sentiment. It comes across more as the potential loss of humans lives being an acceptable risk.

Iolo

I sent in an absentee ballot for Hillary on Wednesday for the PA primary. The deadline for receiving absentee ballots was 5 PM on Friday, so I'm not sure if it got there in time (I live 3 hours away from the election office).

It's so strange that postmarks do not apply. But I'm confident your ballot got there if you sent it 2 days in advance. Early voting should really be allowed everywhere.

If someone posts about killing all the whites.
Or makes fun of white suicide rate.
Or uses racial insults like "cracker."
Or calls all white people stupid.

They have been and will be banned.

It wasn't racist to point out how white the crowd was despite being a rally where the demographics of the electorate are much more diverse.

And as for various people being okay with incredibly vanilla mockery, they're noting it from a position relative to actual oppressed people. Making fun of old, white, straight and/or males for the things old, white, straight and/or males do simply doesn't have the effects and repercussions and history that makes it as inherently damaging.

Given that, I suggest you move on from your weird high horse.

If someone posts about killing all the whites.
Or makes fun of white suicide rate.
Or uses racial insults like "cracker."
Or calls all white people stupid.

They have been and will be banned.

It wasn't racist to point out how white the crowd was despite being a rally where the demographics of the electorate are much more diverse.

And as for various people being okay with incredibly vanilla mockery, they're noting it from a position relative to actual oppressed people. Making fun of old, white, straight and/or males for the things old, white, straight and/or males do simply doesn't have the effects and repercussions and history that makes it as inherently damaging.

Given that, I suggest you move on from your weird high horse.

Alright.

danm999

so it looks like the only green party i can stomach at this point is in germany

The Australian one is ok. Not anti-vax anymore and are moving away from GMO food hysteria.

That said they're lucky enough to be in a preferential system so they don't have to paint the centre left party as the devil at every turn.

ampere

Domestic nuclear incidents in America can be summed up as a huge loss of money for the plants. People didn't get hurt because containment worked properly, even though the operators were idiots. Fukushima is a good example of how important regulations are to follow, especially in an earthquake/tsunami zone, but that can't be used as a black mark on the US's nuclear power program.

And like Kev said, carbon producing fuels have immediate ramifications, like in the next few decades we'll be fucked beyond repair if we keep at the current rate. Sure having a bunch of nuclear waste isn't perfect, but at least you can contain it and it's not all over the planet.

The mostly likely death in an American nuclear plant is someone trying to break in and getting shot. Second most likely is probably a pipe exploding and hot steam (clean water, not nuclear liquid) burning someone to death.

Nuke plants aren't something Joe Bob can go build on short notice and do whatever he wants, but provided NRC regulations are followed, they're safe and a very good stable energy source. Being anti-nuclear is looking at one of the best non-carbon options and saying "eh, I think there are better ones" even though they're all in baby phases and not reliable enough to produce the massive amounts of electricity we need. You could quintuple the nuke plants in the US and theoretically cover all of our electricity needs in a relatively reliable fashion. Outages do happen, but if there were other plants nearby you could buy energy from they for the interim. And assuming we transition to all electric cars that would bump up the energy required, but the point is that a nuke plant runs rain or shine, windy or calm, and that's not the case for all energy alternatives.

Nuclear power as the base power generation + solar/water/wind power on top. Maybe way down the line we can rely more heavily on solar, or something else, but for now we have to be realistic and do what actually works.

Bowdz

Domestic nuclear incidents in America can be summed up as a huge loss of money for the plants. People didn't get hurt because containment worked properly, even though the operators were idiots. Fukushima is a good example of how important regulations are to follow, especially in an earthquake/tsunami zone, but that can't be used as a black mark on the US's nuclear power program.

And like Kev said, carbon producing fuels have immediate ramifications, like in the next few decades we'll be fucked beyond repair if we keep at the current rate. Sure having a bunch of nuclear waste isn't perfect, but at least you can contain it and it's not all over the planet.

The mostly likely death in an American nuclear plant is someone trying to break in and getting shot. Second most likely is probably a pipe exploding and hot steam (clean water, not nuclear liquid) burning someone to death.

Nuke plants aren't something Joe Bob can go build on short notice and do whatever he wants, but provided NRC regulations are followed, they're safe and a very good stable energy source. Being anti-nuclear is looking at one of the best non-carbon options and saying "eh, I think there are better ones" even though they're all in baby phases and not reliable enough to produce the massive amounts of electricity we need. You could quintuple the nuke plants in the US and theoretically cover all of our electricity needs in a relatively reliable fashion. Outages do happen, but if there were other plants nearby you could buy energy from they for the interim. And assuming we transition to all electric cars that would bump up the energy required, but the point is that a nuke plant runs rain or shine, windy or calm, and that's not the case for all energy alternatives.

Nuclear power as the base power generation + solar/water/wind power on top. Maybe way down the line we can rely more heavily on solar, or something else, but for now we have to be realistic and do what actually works.

Agreed. This really is a great post.

It is worth reminding people that current nuclear power plant designs are SIGNIFICANTLY safer than those from even 20 years ago. It is also worth recognizing that Fukushima was commissioned in 1982 and was scheduled to be decommissioned just before one of the largest earthquakes on record struck (in addition to a massive tsunami) and it still didn't do the extent of damage that most people think it did. Intelligent production of nuclear power plants should be an integral part of a balanced energy policy.

Bowdz

?????????????????????????????????????????

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/710269539280232448

... Are black people in the South safeguards against Democracy?... What?

You've really got to love this myth that Bernie is winning the popular support of the country. He has been behind in the polling aggregate nationally since the campaign started (which he has closed considerably, much to his credit), he is behind in the popular vote, he is behind in states won, he is behind in pledged delegates, but it is the super delegates who are subverting the will of the people. With all due respect to her, how does someone who went to Harvard medical become an antivaxxer and so detached from reality in general?

What are the solutions for the nuclear waste storage problem though?

I don't think nuclear will be politically viable until a safe and easily understood method of storing the waste can be explained to the public. I'm in favor of nuclear but this is a problem that myself and many people I've spoken to about this are concerned about. No one wants nuclear waste stored in their backyard.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...may-re-evaluate-clinton-attacks-after-tuesday

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’s top adviser said on Saturday that the campaign would consider dialing down its criticism of front-runner Hillary Clinton depending on the outcome of the primaries on Tuesday.

Tad Devine was asked in an interview with NPR if Sanders would ever consider toning down his harsh attacks on Clinton.

"If we think we've made enough progress, then we'll keep on the path that we're on," he said, referring to Tuesday's string of primaries. "If we think we have to, you know, take a different way or reevaluate, you know, we'll do it then."

Devine added that "right now, we think the best path beyond is the one we laid out months ago."

I think some people should move on, because sometimes I don't get about amount of ranting about Bernie. It has been over.

Trouble

Banned

I don't think nuclear will be politically viable until a safe and easily understood method of storing the waste can be explained to the public. I'm in favor of nuclear but this is a problem that myself and many people I've spoken to about this are concerned about. No one wants nuclear waste stored in their backyard.

Bill Gates will save us all.

http://terrapower.com/pages/environment

I'm not even fucking kidding. If they can make this work it will literally change the course of human history.

Tubie

We just need to do nuclear/solar/wind till Fusion energy is finally a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom