• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
BLAME THE LEFT AND NOT THE ACTUAL FASCISTS.

I obviously place the direct blame on the fascists for being fascists but you have to understand how excruciating it is to see people who are supposedly on the same side as you spend over a year playing stupid games and continuing to play them when the inevitable result comes. And on top of that, as a gay black man, I had to experience the joy of watching one of the immediate hottakes from the election be that standing up for minorities was the reason why everything went to shit.

It's kind of difficult to fight fascists when your own house is a mess.

Graham and McCain have no balls if they vote for Tillerson in the official confirmation.

The joint statement of former presidential candidates John McCain & Lindsey Graham is wrong - they are sadly weak on immigration. The two...

Trump also takes six years to finish his tweets.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825822320128303110

The second tweet is here and it's fucking incoherent as shit.

...Senators should focus their energies on ISIS, illegal immigration and border security instead of always looking to start World War III.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825823217025691648

Here's two doomsday scenarios for the GOP. Assuming Trump continues to be this terrible politically, just not policy wise.

Democrat's take back the Senate in 2018 and come close or actually win the House. Paul Ryan gets knocked off his perch, a more Trump friendly Speaker is chosen if the GOP holds on.

By 2020, Trump is around 20-25% in polling. That's actually a dangerous number for the GOP. If he actually drops to Hollande-level numbers, then he can be desposed fairly easy.

But, if he still has support of 60-65% of the GOP, two bad things can happen -

1. Trump runs again and barely pulls out the nomination.

2. Trump (or more accurately, Bannon et al) realize he'll lose renomination and instead runs under the new American Pride Party of whatever. Gets 15-20% of the vote in the general election, Democrat wins in a landslide.

Or maybe this is all a smokescreen and Americans are actually fascists.

One of Trump's key policy platforms was him lying about opposing the Iraq War, but Trump clearly wants to re-invade Iraq and this is so fucking confusing.

Normally I don't try to rationalize the thought process of a demented idiot but I do remember him saying approximately that we shouldn't have gone in, but we did, and now we should stay. Because ISIS, oil, etc. You can rest assured that Rex wants to implement neocolonialist policies there, too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL he blamed media for the "Muslim ban" when he ran on that exact term, Giuliani used it on TV today, and Flynn hash tagged it on Twitter.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Here's two doomsday scenarios for the GOP. Assuming Trump continues to be this terrible politically, just not policy wise.

Democrat's take back the Senate in 2018 and come close or actually win the House. Paul Ryan gets knocked off his perch, a more Trump friendly Speaker is chosen if the GOP holds on.

By 2020, Trump is around 20-25% in polling. That's actually a dangerous number for the GOP. If he actually drops to Hollande-level numbers, then he can be desposed fairly easy.

But, if he still has support of 60-65% of the GOP, two bad things can happen -

1. Trump runs again and barely pulls out the nomination.

2. Trump (or more accurately, Bannon et al) realize he'll lose renomination and instead runs under the new American Pride Party of whatever. Gets 15-20% of the vote in the general election, Democrat wins in a landslide.

Or maybe this is all a smokescreen and Americans are actually fascists.

I recall similar ideas being floated during 2015 concerning 2016.

chefbags

Lunchtime at Amazon FC. One old white dude is saying that 99% of those protesting are illegal. Wouldn't budge his opinion either (cause it literally makes no sense).

Trump can fuck off so hard.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Publicly attacking two respected senators isn't a good look, either.

Will McCain sink to Paul Ryan fuckboi levels? Lets find out!

The funny thing is that this is his last term, so he certainly has nothing to lose. Would be sad if guy with a career reputation for being a maverick spent the end of his career eating shit

kuIAUjC.png

LOL he blamed media for the "Muslim ban" when he ran on that exact term, Giuliani used it on TV today, and Flynn hash tagged it on Twitter.

Flynn's son.

Also, I hate Giuliani more than any other Republican on Earth, truly, but you're misrepresenting what he said.

When he first announced and he said "Muslim ban", he called me up and said "put a commission together, show me the right way to do it legally". I put a commission together [...] and what we did was, we focused on, instead of religion, danger. The areas of the world that create danger for us. Which is a factual basis, not a religious basis. Perfectly legal, perfectly sensible. It's not based on religion, it's based on places where there are [sic] substantial evidence that people are sending terrorists into our country.

That is not in any way the same thing that you said he said.

Dierce

Graham and McCain have no balls if they vote for Tillerson in the official confirmation.

Trump also takes six years to finish his tweets.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825822320128303110

The second tweet is here and it's fucking incoherent as shit.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825823217025691648

I think his last tweet is more of a threat than a warning. He is most likely telling them to do exactly what he wants or he will send the US to war.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Flynn's son.

Also, I hate Giuliani more than any other Republican on Earth, truly, but you're misrepresenting what he said.

a) If you read the whole statement rather than pieces, it's clear that a Muslim ban was the goal, the means were through less blatantly offensive factors. It doesn't get more obvious than Trump saying he would prioritize religious minorities (read: Christians) in these countries.

b) There's nothing factual about those countries being more dangerous to US territory than other countries left off the executive order.

Mr.Mike

The political left really does need to stop fighting among themselves. But more than that, they need to pull in the actual conservatives and the actual libertarians into the Democratic party. A coalition to reform the constitution because this bullshit isn't working. We can all go back to fighting about taxes and whatever else after American democracy is saved.

Republicans are afraid to break ranks with their party, and be left as political outcasts. Perhaps Democrats could welcome them into their party so that they might finally have the balls to stand up to Trump.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
WaPo: Koch network condemns Trump ban on refugees and immigrants

Within this article is this gem, Sen. Mike Lee trying to use the first amendment to shield himself from commenting on Trump's EO:
For his part, Lee ducked when asked by reporters about the executive order, saying he only wanted to talk about criminal justice reform, the subject of a panel Sunday morning

“We’re here to discuss a different issue and I’ve got to leave right now to go catch a flight,” he said.

Pressed by a group of reporters at the meeting, he added: “I wasn’t aware that I’d lose my First Amendment rights after walking out this door.”

Then Lee, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, walked out the door.

Plinko

Flynn's son.

Right about Flynn's son being the one who tweeted.

As for Giuliani, come on. The intent and context is clearly there.

WaPo: Koch network condemns Trump ban on refugees and immigrants

Within this article is this gem, Sen. Mike Lee trying to use the first amendment to shield himself from commenting on Trump's EO:

Do thes people even know what the First Amendment consists of? How were these journalists taking away his First Amendment rights?

Okay

What;s really going on here? Politically?

We know this isn't about national security, otherwise Egypt and Saudi would be first on that list. Pakistan too, which offers us no economic value.

Is this really punishment for these countries not taking their prisoners back?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay

We know this isn't about national security, otherwise Egypt and Saudi would be first on that list. Pakistan too, which offers us no economic value.

Trump has business interests in the countries not listed. That's probably the only reason they aren't included.

royalan

Okay

I don't think it's that planned out.

This is the Muslim ban that we've all known about. That Trump campaigned on. He started with these seven countries, and likely to get some cover from the "blame Obama" excuse. But these countries are just the start.

This is the Muslim ban that we've all known about. That Trump campaigned on. He started with these seven countries, and likely to get some cover from the "blame Obama" excuse. But these countries are just the start.

Yep, everytime someone asks an administration official, they pivot to say maybe they will add more after the 90 day review is up

Trump LOVES the lifestyle millions of Muslims lead. He has touted their economic success as a leading contributor to his vision for America ("Even their poorest live like Kings" and "Look at their airports."). He does business there and has for over two decades. He has several business partners. I cannot reconcile that he hates Muslims. I can reconcile that he would throw them under a bus to throw his ignroant supporters a bone to gnaw at (in of itself an inherently racist act).

I don't know that he puts more countries on the list. I think this was theatre just to appease racists voters while protecting his interests and the interests of the Arab nations we have dealings with.

If this was about National Security, Saudi would be the first fucking name out of Trump and Guilliani's mouth.

royalan

Yep, everytime someone asks an administration official, they pivot to say maybe they will add more after the 90 day review is up

I don't think the 90 day "review" will ever be up.

If anything with even the vague stench of terrorism happens within these 90 days, watch shit get real.

Dude will say anything to get confirmed. Don't trust a word of it. "See, look, I have my own brain and can think on my own! I don't just take orders!" etc.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't think anybody's ever really established if that Tillerson twitter is real or not. It certainly reads as real, but it still could be fake.

Zukkoyaki

Dems plan rally at Supreme Court to protest Trump's executive order

Democratic lawmakers will host a rally on Monday evening at the Supreme Court to protest President Donald Trump's recent executive order imposing a temporary ban on nationals from seven Muslim-majority countries entering the United States.

”Tomorrow at 6:00 p.m., House and Senate Democrats will gather for a press event in front of the steps of the Supreme Court to demand the President withdraw his disreputable executive order. All Members are urged to come to express our solidarity," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said in a letter to her Democratic colleagues in the House, which was obtained by Politico.

Trump on Friday signed an order that imposed a 90-day ban on nationals from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen entering the United States. The order also included a 120-day ban on admitting refugees and an indefinite halt on admitting refugees from Syria, which has been embattled in a civil war since 2011.

”We are witnessing an historic injustice unfold, and we must keep the pressure on," Pelosi said in the letter.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) on Sunday said Democrats are considering legislation to overturn Trump's order, but will need Republicans to be on board.

”If we get a few more Republicans, I think we might be able to pass legislation to overturn it," Schumer said Sunday at press conference in his home state. ”It will be up to getting more Republicans."

Pelosi, in the letter, echoes several of her colleagues by saying the order constitutes ”a Muslim ban."

”As Members of Congress, we take a solemn oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States. Democrats intend to honor that oath by fighting the unconstitutional injustice of the President's Muslim ban."

I like Schumer saying "we need Republican help." Make them own this shit.

royalan

Dems plan rally at Supreme Court to protest Trump's executive order

I like Schumer saying "we need Republican help." Make them own this shit.

Good. Because the defense really needs to hold here.

This weekend was a test to see how much this administration could get away with. There was a really great Twitter thread that made the rounds right after the election about how full-on authoritarianism happens in small, escalating steps. I wish I could find it, because it described really well what we're seeing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom