• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likely the point of doing this so quickly and so loosely. These motherfuckers want an attack on our soil so they can justify all kinds of bullshit while garnering public support.

Iraqi diplomats: "This attack from ISIS was caused by Trump."

This will surely help him.

Trump is the most hated president within his first month ever, mmkay, very few believe Trump and the few that do believe him already want a holy war and don't need convincing.

Trump is really stupid.

Trump's base of "people who actually like and believe this guy" consists of:

1. White supremacists
2. White evangelicals

.... These people need no convincing whatsoever to inflict harm on Muslims. Trump could come out the day after Saudi Arabia and Iran agreed to eternal peace and ISIS was destroyed and Trump could say "I'm putting Muslims in internment camps now" and the two groups that actually believe Trump's words would be 100% on board with this plan.

The problem with Trump is that everyone other than white supremacists and white evangelicals thinks he's a liar and a bad person (even many who voted for him!) so he'll have a hard time convincing the general public.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Bannon is the king of Alt-Right base. This base is politically active, enthusiastic, internet savvy and pro-Trump.

Not pro-Republican. Trump can chose longevity over ideology, and there is probably no one in his entourage, form the GOP to his own family, who would favor Bannon and Miller. Heck, his kids are probably actively begging him to get rid of both and get in line with the GOP. Trump has nothing to lose in doing so.

Maybe Bannon was 100% serious when he said he wanted to destroy the state; he doesn't actually want to help Trump succeed, he just wants to use Trump as a tool to destroy our government. What better way to do that than by trying to force a constitutional crisis as quickly as possible?

Exactly, Trump will see that both Miller and Bannon don't have his interest in mind, that they want Trump to end up in a crisis and have him ousted, and pick up the ball right where he drops it, since if Trump is pushed out his supporters will rally for someone to pick it up. That won't happen if Trump kicks them out.

The reason I suspect Bannon is driving more than Trump is because Trump has never seemed like he does any of his own work; I suspect Trump considers himself an "idea man" and that his responsibility is to 'delegate'. But there are all sorts of ways that this proposal could have been implemented in successful ways (successful in the sense of not obviously illegal or logistically impossible).

Seriously, I think you actually have to go out of your way to fuck something up so catastrophically. All they had to do was mimic Reagan and dress up bad ideas in fancy suits. Instead they decided to smear shit all over the idea and set it on fire. That seems like a Bannon move way more than Trump, if anyone wants to see the whole system burn and collapse it's Bannon.

Zereta

The reason I suspect Bannon is driving more than Trump is because Trump has never seemed like he does any of his own work; I suspect Trump considers himself an "idea man" and that his responsibility is to 'delegate'. But there are all sorts of ways that this proposal could have been implemented in successful ways (successful in the sense of not obviously illegal or logistically impossible).

Seriously, I think you actually have to go out of your way to fuck something up so catastrophically. All they had to do was mimic Reagan and dress up bad ideas in fancy suits. Instead they decided to smear shit all over the idea and set it on fire. That seems like a Bannon move way more than Trump, if anyone wants to see the whole system burn and collapse it's Bannon.

Who would have thought making Michael Scott the President of the United States was a bad idea?

yoJC2i270b1mQvcDdK.gif

So uh, can people remind me what makes Cuomo bad? He seems to get stuff done and is susceptible to political pressure from the left which are both big pluses for me. If the problem is that he's corrupt, what sort of corruption are we talking?

Maybe I'm just wishing his dad could run instead.

So uh, can people remind me what makes Cuomo bad? He seems to get stuff done and is susceptible to political pressure from the left which are both big pluses for me. If the problem is that he's corrupt, what sort of corruption are we talking?

Cuomo is Hillary except much more corrupt and less economically liberal and probably a worse speaker.

Which is obviously much better than any Republican, but I don't know if that's better than Cory Booker.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He's an Albany politician so odds are there's a skeleton in his closet somewhere, though I'm not sure anyone has any idea where to look. Plus he's in the middle of an extremely petty feud with de Blasio that makes them both look like children at times, but that comes with both of them having their eyes on a future run at the presidency. Also, he hasn't exactly taken the lead on civil rights or criminal justice reform. Plus it feels like for every good thing he does he does something dumb for no reason.

In addition he's not exactly an exciting speaker and I'd rather anyone else get the nom in 2020, but no one can deny he'd be good at the job if he were to get it. If you could guarantee a Dem House/Senate or a solid liberal ground swell he's be a great president.

Cuomo is Hillary except much more corrupt and less economically liberal and probably a worse speaker.

Which is obviously much better than any Republican, but I don't know if that's better than Cory Booker.

If doing the job is above charisma he'd be better than Booker, if not then Booker would be better.

He has lobbyist connections to the hilt. But he does get things done I guess

A good example would be his new affordable housing ny plan. It costs and constructs more housing units than even de Blasio's proposal, but the real estate lobby got their tax breaks in there.

thefro

Former Indiana Governor and George W. Bush Budget Director Mitch Daniels (R):

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...tement-on-executive-order-on-immigration.html

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — Purdue University President Mitch Daniels on Sunday (Jan. 29) issued the following statement regarding the Executive Order issued Friday (Jan. 27) by President Donald Trump:
”The President's order related to immigration is a bad idea, poorly implemented, and I hope that he will promptly revoke and rethink it. If the idea is to strengthen the protection of Americans against terrorism, there are many far better ways to achieve it."

Will be interesting to see if Pence does anything since he'll be getting lots of pressure from back home. Daniels very popular here.

Dierce

I think it is fair to say without much doubt that orange fucker and bannon want a terrorist attack or some other form of mass violence to occur in order to justify their tyranny.

Reince is defending a ban on immigration that would have stopped his mother (born in Sudan) from moving to the United States.

Get some pride, die on your feet instead of groveling in the dirt.

I wanted to post this in the OT but it will just get lost. But as an engineering graduate, I cannot recall the disproportionate amount of Iranian born faculty and PhD students that were teaching courses at my uni. Especially in Math and Engineering core courses. I befriended a few such faculty, one who was on J1 visa and a DOUBLE PhD, and other friends who were on F1. I don't know why my university had disproportionate number of highly learned Iranian faculty (this is Ohio State), but I fear that if this trend is still continuing, we are going to suffer a massive brain drain. Because even if the faculty may be US citizens, the PhD students and TA's were most definitely not. And these guys were at the forefront of engineering and math studies. I had another friend from Syria who was a TA but also a grad student.

This is going to have a huge unseen impact everywhere down the road. The CPB stuff is only the start. The brain drain (after the EO becomes permanent) will screw our standing in science and technology.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wanted to post this in the OT but it will just get lost. But as an engineering graduate, I cannot recall the disproportionate amount of Iranian born faculty and PhD students that were teaching courses at my uni. Especially in Math and Engineering core courses. I befriended a few such faculty, one who was on J1 visa and a DOUBLE PhD, and other friends who were on F1. I don't know why my university had disproportionate number of highly learned Iranian faculty (this is Ohio State), but I fear that if this trend is still continuing, we are going to suffer a massive brain drain. Because even if the faculty may be US citizens, the PhD students and TA's were most definitely not. And these guys were at the forefront of engineering and math studies. I had another friend from Syria who was a TA but also a grad student.

This is going to have a huge unseen impact everywhere down the road. The CPB stuff is only the start. The brain drain (after the EO becomes permanent) will screw our standing in science and technology.

This is true in a lot of states and countries regarding Iranians. Trump is an idiot who knows nothing.

dramatis

I randomly picked this podcast to listen to today.

Politics & Polls #27: Rebuilding the Democratic Party

Theda Skocpol, who has been studying politics at the local levels for a while now, gives a bunch of insight on how the Republicans did their thing. And of course how we can do ours. It's very interesting because she talks about how the Kochs have essentially funded a 'third party' and that's why the "Republican Party" is actually too weak to fight its way back to the center.

Skocpol also doesn't mince her words on a lot of things lol

Economically, aside from the last couple of months, he's been the type of economic neoliberal that people say Hillary was - capping property tax, being opposed to a minimum wage or top rate tax hike until very recently, funding cuts for education and Medicaid, vetoed a bill that required legal services for the poor, had budgets so conservative that Donald Trump's biggest backer in New York (Carl Paladino) backed them, has been pro-fracking in a way beyond what's needed, ended the NY millionaire tax in the middle of the deep recession.

Also, he made deals with the state GOP to not help the state DNC defeat certain vulnerable Republican's in places like Staten Island.

I randomly picked this podcast to listen to today.

Politics & Polls #27: Rebuilding the Democratic Party

Theda Skocpol, who has been studying politics at the local levels for a while now, gives a bunch of insight on how the Republicans did their thing. And of course how we can do ours. It's very interesting because she talks about how the Kochs have essentially funded a 'third party' and that's why the "Republican Party" is actually too weak to fight its way back to the center.

Skocpol also doesn't mince her words on a lot of things lol
I'll give this a listen here today, thanks.

Economically, aside from the last couple of months, he's been the type of economic neoliberal that people say Hillary was - capping property tax, being opposed to a minimum wage or top rate tax hike until very recently, funding cuts for education and Medicaid, vetoed a bill that required legal services for the poor, had budgets so conservative that Donald Trump's biggest backer in New York (Carl Paladino) backed them, has been pro-fracking in a way beyond what's needed, ended the NY millionaire tax in the middle of the deep recession.

Also, he made deals with the state GOP to not help the state DNC defeat certain vulnerable Republican's in places like Staten Island.
This is more helpful, thanks for the info.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still waiting for that one GOP member to step up, take control, and fight back.

He/She, if successful, would be a hero.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
these unplanned protests are stunning. d.c. might keep this up for 4 years.

i'm beginning to become hopeful that people are held accountable in 2018.

We've got like 4-5 a week in NYC, I'm at the point where I need to pick and choose what I go to otherwise I'd be out there all day and night.

faisal233

This is a common sentiment among the far left, even on my twitter feed. A lot of people are saying Hillary and Obama caused this problem by bombing too many nations.

Meanwhile the right is saying Obama caused this issue by not bombing enough.

Horseshoe theory, the extreme left is as much a friend of progress as the extreme right.

This is a common sentiment among the far left, even on my twitter feed. A lot of people are saying Hillary and Obama caused this problem by bombing too many nations.

Meanwhile the right is saying Obama caused this issue by not bombing enough.

Anything to distract from the fact that their fuckery caused fascists to enter the White House.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Why is everyone convinced Bannon is the source of this? Trump was talking about banning muslims for 8 months before he signed up. Trumps a racist shit, he doesn't need Bannon pulling his strings to do racist shitty stuff.
Well we know Bannon and Miller were the ones who overrode the legal opinion and ordered green card holders to be denied as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom