• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
James Carafano of Heritage Foundation is on CNN defending the ban.

Heritage Foundation, of the MERCER family.

And he advised the Trump transition.

Geist-

Why does this feel so intentional? What is the motivation behind doing this?
Ideally, it's because they're announcing the SC judge tomorrow and are editing the page
Do they not know how to keep a page up before an update?
That, or vandalism by a rogue intern, or technical error, or some other more likely explanation than the Trump administration's nefarious plans being announced by deleting a web page. Get real folks.
Doesn't have to be an evil scheme, but it could easily be some petty bullshit because a judge went against his Muslim ban. Anything is possible at this point.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That, or vandalism by a rogue intern, or technical error, or some other more likely explanation than the Trump administration's nefarious plans being announced by deleting a web page. Get real folks.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Priebus is a weasly shit, but that thing about the history books isn't an accurate reflection of sentiment. Unless it was a Freudian slip or something. It was basically wishing it never happened.

That doesn't excuse the terrible WH statement on Holocaust remembrance though.
Basically. He's a terrible communicator, however, with his awkward statement playing directly into the hands of those who see the Holocaust Remembrance Day release evading history.

It's not new either; if you look at the Wayback Machine, it looks like it's been gone since the website transitioned on the inauguration.

http://web.archive.org/web/20170120161522/https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/judicial-branch
http://web.archive.org/web/20170120172409/https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/judicial-branch
http://web.archive.org/web/20170121012326/https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/judicial-branch

The legislative page appears to be identical to the Obama version in terms of text as well so it's not like they needed to extensively rework it. Unless they've been deciding to save it until the SCOTUS announcement for... some reason.

Vixdean

I really wish people would stop comparing these protests to the roots of the Tea Party movement. That was a racist backlash against Obama that started before he was even elected, based on birtherism and fear of things he never said he'd do, or ever did do. These people today are organizing against actual actions taken by a sitting President, it's disgraceful to compare that to the movement that actually lead to Trump.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I really wish people would stop comparing these protests to the roots of the Tea Party movement. That was a racist backlash against Obama that started before he was even elected, based on birtherism and fear of things he never said he'd do, or ever did do. These people today are organizing against actual actions taken by a sitting President, it's disgraceful to compare that to the movement that actually lead to Trump.

It's a pretty good comparison in one respect. The tea party managed to fuck up Obama pretty badly for a long time. They basically kept the republican party alive during a time the GOP had no business being relevant.

I hope we're as effective as those assholes were getting what they wanted despite being a minority in congress.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How should Senate Democrats respond to Trump's Supreme Court nominee considering Republicans stole the seat?

I'd refuse to confirm and force McConnell to ditch the filibuster. I think. Crab talk me out of it

(I think McConnell actually needs it because he can use the democrats to conveniently kill Trump's bullshit.)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So only the Legislative branch website still exists.

The judicial branch is gone, and so is the executive.

And this is what you used to read at the top of the judicial branch's page:

Article III of the Constitution of the United States guarantees that every person accused of wrongdoing has the right to a fair trial before a competent judge and a jury of one's peers.

That's gone.

Diablos

Trump's older sister has been privately telling him to support Hardiman. Wouldn't underestimate the influence she has on him

It's too bad Trump won't go all in with nepotism and nominate her, since she's old and moderate.
Hardiman is our best hope but that's not saying a lot. Pittsburgh represent.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd refuse to confirm and force McConnell to ditch the filibuster. I think. Crab talk me out of it

(I think McConnell actually needs it because he can use the democrats to conveniently kill Trump's bullshit.)

LOL at McConnell caring at this point. He'll bow to Trump like all the rest.

So only the Legislative branch website still exists.

The judicial branch is gone, and so is the executive.

And this is what you used to read at the top of the judicial branch's page:

That's gone.
Can't have the people informing themselves about the government's boundaries and roles

figured I'd hang out here for a while.

How should Senate Democrats respond to Trump's Supreme Court nominee considering Republicans stole the seat?

Regardless of how it's spun: if unreasonable candidate, block it.
The admin is just using as as decay while trying to get the same institution to validate their mess. They should not get both for free.

Also, as for the website, executive and legislative are both there, except the domain name doesn't route directly to it. The judicial isn't there, and the Constitution has only ten amendments for some reason.

Seems they have the best cyber, totally not some script kiddy hack job while trying to redecorate the site. I think the site represents the dumpster fire that is the admin quite well.
Also, on the 'elections' page you're greeted by a picture of Trump, not say, a person voting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

If it's who we think it is, then it's an instant filibuster and no one in the House backing him. Anything else is bullshit and should result in a primary challenge. Do the hearings if you want, but only so everyone can see what a fuckface the pick is.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Right-wing domestic terrorism is sure to soar over the next few years. Not only is the President a legitimating signal for them, but now the FBI - the entity that is tasked with stopping them - will be in the hands of Jeff Sessions.

Stay safe, black churches and mosques.

God damn it, not in Canada :(

If it's who we think it is, then it's an instant filibuster and no one in the House backing him. Anything else is bullshit and should result in a primary challenge. Do the hearings if you want, but only so everyone can see what a fuckface the pick is.
Would the GOP really nuke the filibuster? I've seen that mentioned a few times, but that would also remove that tactic for them as well, right?

I wonder if random out of nowhere digital media firm Giles Parscale is still making bank off of Trump, wouldn't surprise with his hackjob of a website.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Would the GOP really nuke the filibuster? I've seen that mentioned a few times, but that would also remove that tactic for them as well, right?

I honestly have no idea anymore. The guy whose name has been floated is a literal bigot who would criminalize gay sex (and probably straight pre-marital sex as well) if he were given the chance. He's so blatantly bigoted and insane that no one, on either side, should be OK with him.

I think it's all going to come down to whether McConnell is willing to rubber stamp anything that comes from Trump or not.

I hold onto a sliver of hope on this because I have nothing else to hold onto right now.

God damn it, not in Canada :(

Unfortunately Canada is going to have to deal with the rise of facism as well, here's hoping they're up for it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
LOL at McConnell caring at this point. He'll bow to Trump like all the rest.

Mitch McConnell will never ditch the filibuster, he's an evil shite, but he's a smart evil shite. He knows this election was a fluke and that demographics will fuck over the gop eventually. Last thing he wants is a democratic president with a democratic congress and no filibuster to stop progress.

Vixdean

C3XokgEUoAAc0u-.jpg

I am not familiar with how the filibuster works. What is stopping the Republicans from getting rid of it for now and then reinstating it before they potentially lose power in 2018/2020?

I am not familiar with how the filibuster works. What is stopping the Republicans from getting rid of it for now and then reinstating it before they potentially lose power in 2018/2020?

The filibuster exists in the Senate rules. Whatever party has a majority can change the rules whenever they want, to my knowledge. So the Democrats could remove it again whenever they got a majority in your scenario.

Once it's gone it will never come back, I personally think.

The filibuster exists in the Senate rules. Whatever party has a majority can change the rules whenever they want, to my knowledge. So the Democrats could remove it again whenever they got a majority in your scenario.

Once it's gone it will never come back, I personally think.
But if that's the case why even have it? Why not just get rid of it when you come into power and reinstate it before leaving even though the other guys could remove it as well? It sounds like the point of the filibuster is for the party with less power to prevent things they do not agree with from going through, but isn't that counter-productive if the majority party can just strike it down as they please?

But if that's the case why even have it? Why not just get rid of it when you come into power and reinstate it before leaving even though the other guys could remove it as well? It sounds like the point of the filibuster is for the party with less power to prevent things they do not agree with from going through, but isn't that counter-productive if the majority party can just strike it down as they please?

Neither party wants to be the first to blink.

Did some math and looked at some maps and I think if Kander doesn't plan on running for governor in 2020 he should probably go for MO-2 in 2018. It's the closest of all the MO districts at R+7, while the second closest is R+12. He outperformed Clinton by a decent number of points in all of the counties in the district. If you want to pick up a moderate R-lean district, 2018 will be the year to do it obviously.

Obvious downsides are that I don't know where he lives/if he'd want to move there, congressional races have a hard time breaking out beyond generic ballot preferences, and losing again would probably suck for his future if he wants to go further, but if he isn't going to run for Governor then I think that's his best plan.

He also won some KC suburbs that Clinton lost by a decent margin, but that district is R+12 so ehhhhh I don't think it's the best idea to go for that.

Maybe it wasn't Russia in trump's ear all along. It was just bannon.

How long before the Republican leadership goes all ceasar on him? They can't see this as anything but a sinking ship.

No one rules alone. This was always my theory about how this administration would go.

The historical purpose of the filibuster has been to stop votes and slow progress, yes. The Senate as a body is basically designed to be slow and ineffective.

No major party has ever gotten rid of it until the Democrats did so a few years ago for executive appointments. But the filibuster had been a problem for years and was clearly being abused , so it was inevitable that it would be going away eventually.

Did some math and looked at some maps and I think if Kander doesn't plan on running for governor in 2020 he should probably go for MO-2 in 2018. It's the closest of all the MO districts at R+7, while the second closest is R+12. He outperformed Clinton by a decent number of points in all of the counties in the district. If you want to pick up a moderate R-lean district, 2018 will be the year to do it obviously.

Obvious downsides are that I don't know where he lives/if he'd want to move there, congressional races have a hard time breaking out beyond generic ballot preferences, and losing again would probably suck for his future if he wants to go further, but if he isn't going to run for Governor then I think that's his best plan.

He's from Kansas City, so MO-2 isn't for him. But that district is a good target since Ann Wagner will be running for Senate in 2018 - just someone else. Democrats just need a good candidate. I can think of a couple. State Senator Scott Sifton (alliteration!) would be great, IMO. His state senate seat is up in 2020, so he won't be giving up that to run in the first place.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe it wasn't Russia in trump's ear all along. It was just bannon.

How long before the Republican leadership goes all ceasar on him? They can't see this as anything but a sinking ship.

No one rules alone. This was always my theory about how this administration would go.

I know a guy who is convinced that the GOP is just going to use him to push through all their wildest bullshit, hang it all around his neck, and give him the boot. All within a year.

I don't really buy it personally, but I've been wrong plenty of times and this could be one of them.

The historical purpose of the filibuster has been to stop votes and slow progress, yes. The Senate as a body is basically designed to be slow and ineffective.

No major party has ever gotten rid of it until the Democrats did so a few years ago for executive appointments. But the filibuster had been a problem for years and was clearly being abused , so it was inevitable that it would be going away eventually.

He's from Kansas City, so MO-2 isn't for him. But that district is a good target since Ann Wagner will be running for Senate in 2018 - just someone else. Democrats just need a good candidate. I can think of a couple. State Senator Scott Sifton (alliteration!) would be great, IMO.
Clint Zweifel hasn't lost an election and looks like he's from St Louis. He didn't run for anything this year (presumably because Kander and Koster took the upgrade elections?) so he might be a good pick. Same with Koster, who still outperformed Clinton by a significant margin and did almost as well as Kander, is he done with politics now or could we use him in 2018?

Mike M

Nick N
I know a guy who is convinced that the GOP is just going to use him to push through all their wildest bullshit, hang it all around his neck, and give him the boot. All within a year.

I don't really buy it personally, but I've been wrong plenty of times and this could be one of them.

I think it is incredibly likely that is exactly their plan.

In either event, tying the larger GOP to Trump is fucking essential. I don't see a way they get to have Trump sign off on their wishlist and then try and claim that it was all his idea and that they had nothing to do with it.

Clint Zweifel hasn't lost an election and looks like he's from St Louis. He didn't run for anything this year (presumably because Kander and Koster took the upgrade elections?) so he might be a good pick. Same with Koster, who still outperformed Clinton by a significant margin and did almost as well as Kander, is he done with politics now or could we use him in 2018?

Clint Zweifel would be an intriguing choice, but not sure if he's done with politics or not. Also not sure where he's from in St. Louis. I don't think he's from MO-2, but that probably doesn't matter that much in the long run.

I never really considered that Koster would ever be back in politics, but maybe. He's still well-liked and I suspect backlash from Greitens (esp. re: right to work) will have people wishing he had won. He doesn't really have a STL connection, though.

I always thought that Russ Carnahan was the candidate to win in MO-2 since he represented part of the district before redistricting, but he just lost pretty badly in the Lt. Governor's race.

Mike M

Nick N
Apropos of nothing, Koster is the name of a perennial GOP congressional rep candidate around here that never fucking goes away no matter how many times he loses. Voting for someone with that name would provoke such cognitive dissonance...

This seems like a terrible idea. An impeached and disgraced GOP president will effect the entire party's image. And Pence isn't exactly popular with Trump's core demographics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom