• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I don't think the most optimistic/pessimistic had "one week" as the timeline for Trump creating a constitutional crisis that could lead to impeachment.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm honestly at the point where I foresee:

1) No more legitimate elections.
2) Journalists/public voices of dissent put in jail.

I don't think the most optimistic/pessimistic had "one week" as the timeline for Trump creating a constitutional crisis that could lead to impeachment.

It really is crazy. Week 2 and we're heading into a crisis situation. Mass protests all over the country, foreign policy disasters, legal challenges left and right and a president that's going in direct violation of a court order.

2016 may go down as the most influential election in the history of our country.

I think this next week will be the tipping point before some very, very bad things begin happening.

Putting the Muslim ban on Iraq was really the dumbest part of this from a foreign policy perspective.

ISIS has to be believed they were blessed by God to get this happen.

Considering all this nonsense is getting in the way of the GOP doing what the GOP actually wanted to do (eliminate social programs and cut rich people taxes), I wonder at what point do they finally just put their foot down and yell "STOP" at Trump.

Zips

Amongst the currently known options, Franken seems like he would be a very good possibility for a democratic President.

Though at the rate the U.S. is going, Trump will name himself ruler for life before the next election.

Also - the Muslim registry will show up, but be thinly veiled like the refugee/immigrant ban. They will seek to create a registry of 'potential threats' or some vague equivalent. And those 'threats' will just happen to be 99% Muslim. I wonder what that Muslim comedian who got a denial from Trump's slimy-as-shit son thinks now...

The U.S. is in the beginning of the consolidation phase of a dictator firming up his control.

Remember the silence of the GOP when judgement comes to pass on all that is happening.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Actually, the WH has said the EO stands even with the court rulings. Someone from WH is instructing DHS employees not to follow the court injunctions.

The majority of the order does stand. There is one particular point that was ruled against, and in one or two airports people are reportedly not complying with that. That is wrong, and they should absolutely be arrested. But that's not a sign of a widespread order from Trump to disobey the federal court.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Trump will need a war to deflect criticism, so he'll probably get congress to declare war by the end of February, right after the 30-day limit to come up with a plan to defeat IS, which is just an excuse to declare it at that point. Dems will have to vote in favor of it.

thefro

Welp, McCain & Graham finally showed up:

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=587F2A2D-8A47-48F7-9045-CF30F0A77889

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) released the following statement today on the President’s executive order on immigration:

“Our government has a responsibility to defend our borders, but we must do so in a way that makes us safer and upholds all that is decent and exceptional about our nation.

“It is clear from the confusion at our airports across the nation that President Trump’s executive order was not properly vetted. We are particularly concerned by reports that this order went into effect with little to no consultation with the Departments of State, Defense, Justice, and Homeland Security.

“Such a hasty process risks harmful results. We should not stop green-card holders from returning to the country they call home. We should not stop those who have served as interpreters for our military and diplomats from seeking refuge in the country they risked their lives to help. And we should not turn our backs on those refugees who have been shown through extensive vetting to pose no demonstrable threat to our nation, and who have suffered unspeakable horrors, most of them women and children.

“Ultimately, we fear this executive order will become a self-inflicted wound in the fight against terrorism. At this very moment, American troops are fighting side-by-side with our Iraqi partners to defeat ISIL. But this executive order bans Iraqi pilots from coming to military bases in Arizona to fight our common enemies. Our most important allies in the fight against ISIL are the vast majority of Muslims who reject its apocalyptic ideology of hatred. This executive order sends a signal, intended or not, that America does not want Muslims coming into our country. That is why we fear this executive order may do more to help terrorist recruitment than improve our security.”

Can someone explain if, "everything is going to be alright" is a meme? I've seen this posted by a few pro-Trump people I know after he won and I don't know if it's a subtle "fuck you, we won" statement or tongue-in-cheek.

edit: thanks!

kirblar

Can someone explain if, "everything is going to be alright" is a meme? I've seen this posted by a few pro-Trump people I know after he won and I don't know if it's a subtle "fuck you, we won" statement or tongue-in-cheek.
It's a "fuck you we won" statement with the idea that all Clinton supporters were crying babies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Eichenwald is right: if Trump ordered these people to ignore court order, he just went PAST the point Nixon ever did.

Glad to see there's some sanity coming from the Republican camp.

The problem I'm seeing is that these are the same republicans that have been shat on by Trump and his supporters for the last two years.

I feel like this last election I gave democrats the benefit of a doubt. I don't even know who to really trust to stop any of this anymore.

Paul Ryan was such a little fuckboi for coming out so early to defend Trump. Especially as the tide of public opinion is rapidly turning against him

Plinko

Damon Silvers‏ @DamonSilvers

Attys at Dulles with a fed court order entitling them to see detainees told by CBP "it's not going to happen" Attys seeking contempt order

We've got a full-blown Constitutional crisis on our hands on day nine.

Good that McCain standing up the fascist, but such a week kneed response. He's pissing in the wind. Bad Trumpy. BAD. This is how you properly implement a Muslim ban - through consultations and stuff.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What are the chances Miller/Bannon will be kicked out by Trump? Trump can still carry out the same overall policies, and still be a puppet for Putin, without them in the WH. At some point he might think he's better off without them.

dc3lQbB.png

Queen

What are the chances Miller/Bannon will be kicked out by Trump? Trump can still carry out the same overall policies, and still be a puppet for Putin, without them in the WH. At some point he might think he's better off without them.

Bannon is the king of Alt-Right base. This base is politically active, enthusiastic, internet savvy and pro-Trump.

When was the last time a president ordered government officials to ignore a court order?

The last time it even came close I believe was during watergate

And no Bannon isn't getting fired as he is the base of all of this. Remove Bannon and Trump wouldn't give two shits about pumping out these orders so fast. Priebus would take over and his agenda would match congressional republicans

Maybe Bannon was 100% serious when he said he wanted to destroy the state; he doesn't actually want to help Trump succeed, he just wants to use Trump as a tool to destroy our government. What better way to do that than by trying to force a constitutional crisis as quickly as possible?

Kusagari

The only way it happens is if Democrats try the "President Bannon" approach and Trump just loses it because people think they're the ones in charge.

Good that McCain standing up the fascist, but such a week kneed response. He's pissing in the wind. Bad Trumpy. BAD. This is how you properly implement a Muslim ban - through consultations and stuff.

The response is fine. Its the strongest language you'll see from a senator talking about the President from their party. But until McCain and Graham actually start voting against people like Sessions they may as well stfu.

Maledict

Why is everyone convinced Bannon is the source of this? Trump was talking about banning muslims for 8 months before he signed up. Trumps a racist shit, he doesn't need Bannon pulling his strings to do racist shitty stuff.

Schumer has proposed the liberal pipe dream of infrastructure plans.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-infrastructure-deal-democrats-234279

It seems like this may just be a facade where Schumer pretends to work with Trump and then says Trump just couldn't close the deal when the bill falls apart due to zero Republican support.

It's becoming quite clear that Bannon and Trump's idea of how the presidency should function is like that of a dictatorship, so we might as well call Trump what he is.

I'm pretty sure that Trump could be impeached at any time and has no attempted to pass any laws that appropriate funds or things like that yet (thus not usurping the power of Congress).

He's just a dumbfuck who doesn't tell important government people what he's doing and our constitution sucks, that's not dictatorship yet.

Wallach

Seriously. THIS IS GOING TO HELP ISIS. And it does fuck all for our safety. In fact it puts us at risk if anything.

Likely the point of doing this so quickly and so loosely. These motherfuckers want an attack on our soil so they can justify all kinds of bullshit while garnering public support.

Diablos

I'm honestly at the point where I foresee:

1) No more legitimate elections.
2) Journalists/public voices of dissent put in jail.
The constitution so desperately needs to be amended. Sadly Dems are so weak that's not going to happen, if anything the Republicans will as they're much closer to that reality.

But yeah, the only thing that I can see saving us from yet another era of far-right fuckery is amending the constitution from a center left or centrist point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom