• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lmo911

All day: "But, but Obama!" "But, but Hilary!"

Coming from the people who said we couldn't blame Bush for anything after he left. Obama is gone and Hilary unfortunately never was. This is the GOP's mess now.

It's starting to dawn on me that Trump has no strategy, just a bunch of ideas that sound good to him and he doesn't consider second order effects.

Like "work with Assad" and "have the Gulf States handle Syrian safe zones" both could sound like clever ideas to people who admire mob bosses... The problem is is that these ideas are completely at odds with each other and make no sense when combined. But because these ideas sound good to Trump on the surface, he tries to put them into practice.

Kasich called up Robert Costa expressing his concerns about the order

"There is a rise of global nationalism.... But I think we have to be steady. We are the leader of the free world."

I don't think anybody's ever really established if that Tillerson twitter is real or not. It certainly reads as real, but it still could be fake.

Am I reading this correctly? I live in a country where the secretary of state may or may not have a Twitter account and nobody knows if the one posing as one is legitimate?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

"There is a rise of global nationalism.... But I think we have to be steady. We are the leader of the free world."

Yet he won't directly condemn it. Politicizing instead of being ethical.

Kusagari

I need to hear this or see a full statement because it's hard to tell if that comment on global nationalism is a rebuke of Trump or not.

It's starting to dawn on me that Trump has no strategy, just a bunch of ideas that sound good to him and he doesn't consider second order effects.

Like "work with Assad" and "have the Gulf States handle Syrian safe zones" both could sound like clever ideas to people who admire mob bosses... The problem is is that these ideas are completely at odds with each other and make no sense when combined. But because these ideas sound good to Trump on the surface, he tries to put them into practice.

I'm surprised it's just dawning on you, but you'd hardly be the first or last person giving him the smallest benefit of the doubt, intellectually.

There are different measures of intelligence, which is probably why calling Trump "dumb" gets some blowback--he obviously has some innate and possibly prodigious grasp of social manipulation, and however silver the spoon he was born with and how greased his education and career track was, you probably still don't get to where he is without average overall intelligence.

But he is willfully, militantly incurious. He doesn't read. He literally seems to have below-average literacy. He has no attention span. He appears to have virtually no working memory, he doesn't reason, he doesn't plan, he does not think forwards or backwards. He doesn't really think beyond the moment, period. All evidence suggests he stopped learning anything both culturally and politically sometime in the 1990s. And this isn't even getting into psychological issues.

TPM's "Trump's Razor" is quite reliable--the stupidest explanation for his actions, however incredulous, is usually the most likely.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
John Harwood Verified account
‏@JohnJHarwood

new from DHS Secretary Kelly: "In applying president's exec order, I hereby deem entry of lawful permanent residents in national interest"

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

'We're going to bring back coal jobs! And we're going to greatly expand fracking!'

But Donald, it's natural gas that has most effectively hurt the economic viability of coal...

Plinko

I'm starting to wonder if the only time we'll ever see real pressure put on the White House is if businesses band together to put pressure on them.

The healthcare fight is going to be insane if a "simple" immigrant policy like this is botched so badly.

He's given people a lot of reason to trust his administration's competence for when he wants to repeal Obamacare and come up with a replacement in two years.

People won't be really worried by how he'll fuck that replacement up in a few years, no sir.

Plinko

A senior administration official just called the travel ban a "massive success on every single level."

ezrarh

A senior administration official just called the travel ban a "massive success on every single level."

Is his name Baghdad Bob? But seriously, if Bannon's supposed true goal is to destroy every institution in this country, then he's had a hell of a first week.

So two massive protests and it's only been one week

What Trumpian horrors are we expecting next week? I read in another thread that a Supreme Court nominee doesn't need judicial experience, so I'm guessing we're all anticipating the worst choice possible

What Trumpian horrors are we expecting next week? I read in another thread that a Supreme Court nominee doesn't need judicial experience, so I'm guessing we're all anticipating the worst choice possible

If Bannon is calling the shots like it appears, I expect a Sarah Palin nomination Bannon fucking LOVES Sarah Palin.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Am I reading this correctly? I live in a country where the secretary of state may or may not have a Twitter account and nobody knows if the one posing as one is legitimate?

Hey when you put it that way, that does seem ridiculous.

Like I said, there's nothing ridiculous or satirical posted on it. But it's not verified, and I've seen disagreement about it in the past.

I mean, we're due for a cop to execute a black man on camera in some horrible way pretty soon.

Trump's older sister has been privately telling him to support Hardiman. Wouldn't underestimate the influence she has on him

It's too bad Trump won't go all in with nepotism and nominate her, since she's old and moderate.

I expect voting rights to be targeted as he pushes for restrictions to fight "fraud"

I would also expect something regarding religious freedom which will break all irony detectors known

It's like E3 predictions!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Right-wing domestic terrorism is sure to soar over the next few years. Not only is the President a legitimating signal for them, but now the FBI - the entity that is tasked with stopping them - will be in the hands of Jeff Sessions.

Stay safe, black churches and mosques.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Right-wing domestic terrorism is sure to soar over the next few years. Not only is the President a legitimating signal for them, but now the FBI - the entity that is tasked with stopping them - will be in the hands of Jeff Sessions.

Stay safe, black churches and mosques.

Don't forget Synagogues.

Uh, Reince Priebus just said on MTP that they would remove the Holocaust from history books if they could. It was in the context of saying how horrible the Holocaust was but that seems like an odd thing to say.

How do you even respond to someone who sees the protests on TV and just complains how liberals want to let everyone into the country?

Uh, Reince Priebus just said on MTP that they would remove the Holocaust from history books if they could. It was in the context of saying how horrible the Holocaust was but that seems like an odd thing to say.
What the fuck?

tbm24

I mean, they've done a hell of a job removing Slavery from them. They're quite experienced.

Glancing at Twitter, even hardcore right wing guys like Mark Levin are calling Priebus an idiot for leaving Jews out of the Holocaust statement

Priebus is a weasly shit, but that thing about the history books isn't an accurate reflection of sentiment. Unless it was a Freudian slip or something. It was basically wishing it never happened.

That doesn't excuse the terrible WH statement on Holocaust remembrance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom