• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spicer on 5 year olds: "You can't assume someone isn't a threat because age or gender."

Spicer on extermination of Roma people in Holocaust: "The gypsies."

This is fucking off the rails.

Ourobolus

Banned
Did Spicer just say something to the effect of "a President has the right to have his nominees be considered?"

Did anyone else hear Merrick Garland twitch?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Spicer on 5 year olds: "You can't assume someone isn't a threat because age or gender."

Spicer on extermination of Roma people in Holocaust: "The gypsies."

This is fucking off the rails.

He's also holding up and complaining about tweets Trump had a problem with.

We don't need Veep anymore.

I think "identity politics" might still end up being pushed by liberals and Democrats in 2018 and 2020, especially if Trump does something to the LGBTQ community. Campaigning will focus on Trump's hate and discriminatory behavior... just like what Hillary did. The irony would hurt me.

Watching the US Travel Ban Emergency Debate in Parliament and feeling proud of the few MPs that bothered to gather for this event.

I do not appreciate that Theresa May will ignore all of it.

Wilsongt

OBAMA SPEAKS!

‏@IsaacDovere

NEWS Obama office statement: "President Obama is heartened by the level of engagement taking place in communities around the country." /1

‏@IsaacDovere

"the president fundamentally disagrees with the notion of discriminating against individuals because of their faith or religion." /2

EDIT (more):

@IsaacDovere

Obama statement: "Citizens exercising their Const'l right to assemble..exactly what we expect to see when American values are at stake"

Daddy come home, we need you. ;.;

Is Bannon doing this to feed ISIS propaganda to justify this "holy war"?

Someone suggested that the GOP says ridiculous things that are untrue in order to introduce those ideas into the conversation. Trump constantly (not so eloquently) asserted the idea that ISIS is an existential threat to the US (it isn't). Maybe they're aiming for ISIS to become that, so they have a Great Enemy to lead the country against.

I think "identity politics" might still end up being pushed by liberals and Democrats in 2018 and 2020, especially if Trump does something to the LGBTQ community. Campaigning will focus on Trump's hate and discriminatory behavior... just like what Hillary did. The irony would hurt me.

The current protest movement includes all kinds of groups typically associated with "identity politics." It's a strength.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Eric Geller Verified account
‏@ericgeller

Spicer says people wait in TSA lines all the time so no one should complain about being detained at U.S. airports under Trump's EO.

This guy.

Can't wait for this line of reasoning in the future:

"Well, lots of people LOVE camping, so I'm not getting the complaints about us forcing them into camps."

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Unless its Merrick Garland....filibuster.
Hardiman would seem to be in the vein of Garland or at least the moderate compromise Obama was trying to nominate:
roeder-scotus-nominee1.png
The rest should be filibustered.

Ourobolus

Banned
What happens when there's a real terrorist attack?

See? We told you! We need to stop ALL immigrants!

Hardiman would seem to be in the vein of Garland or at least the moderate compromise Obama was trying to nominate:

The rest should be filibustered.

I was actually wondering where Garland would fall on that line. I know he was relatively moderate, but Hardiman at least seems like the lesser of the evils.

Someone suggested that the GOP says ridiculous things that are untrue in order to introduce those ideas into the conversation. Trump constantly (not so eloquently) asserted the idea that ISIS is an existential threat to the US (it isn't). Maybe they're aiming for ISIS to become that, so they have a Great Enemy to lead the country against.

The current protest movement includes all kinds of groups typically associated with "identity politics." It's a strength.

Exactly.

I feel it might play a bigger role now, then trying to appeal to the white working class.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
If he nominates Hardiman and we filibuster him out of stupidity, we deserve the filibuster getting taken out. Hardiman's basically on top of Garland ideologically IIRC.

Rest of them, oppose but understand that we have no way to stop it. Bring up their trash decisions, throw up a huge ruckus in the Senate, and have those who can safely vote against him do so.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If he nominates Hardiman and we filibuster him out of stupidity, we deserve the filibuster getting taken out. Hardiman's basically on top of Garland ideologically IIRC.

Rest of them, oppose but understand that we have no way to stop it. Bring up their trash decisions, throw up a huge ruckus in the Senate, and have those who can safely vote against him do so.

Right, but he I don't think he nominates Hardiman.

kmag

People really only assume that about Hardiman, he's not really had that many hot button religious or social cases. In private practice he did represent a 10 commandments case. From what I've read he's not really made his feelings on social issues known one way or another.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
People really only assume that about Hardiman, he's not really had that many hot button religious or social cases. In private practice he did represent a 10 commandments case. From what I've read he's not really made his feelings on social issues known one way or another.
You can only work with what you know. Maybe his hearing would bring his opinion on those to light, but from my memory, most hearings are not that informative.

Teggy

Everyone hates the Patriots. Though considering Brady, Belicheck, and Kraft are big Trump supporters, I am surprised Trump fans want Falcons to win. They hate the Pats more than they like Trump. :D

But why do Johnson and Stein supporters like the Patriots?

Trump making gay discrimination legal is likely the final straw before total chaos ensures. That's not an issue that people take lightly at all, and it's wildly popular across the entire country, between both parties.

Plinko

Matt Pearce Verified account
‏@mattdpearce

Matt Pearce Retweeted Phil Mattingly

Republican congressional aide just texted me and called Spicer's claims "ridiculous." "They're losing Congress and don't even realize it."

Wonder if it's legit
The time is now ‏@devchelle
@RoguePOTUSStaff there are rumors of anti LGBT EO coming. Can you shed light on that?

Rogue POTUS Staff ‏@RoguePOTUSStaff 34m34 minutes ago
Rogue POTUS Staff Retweeted The time is now
Rumors are true. Expect by end of the week.

Trump promised anti-LGBT orders during the campaign and is trying to fulfill his campaign promises so this could be a random guess and still have a good probability of being correct!

Trump making gay discrimination legal is likely the final straw before total chaos ensures. That's not an issue that people take lightly at all, and it's wildly popular across the entire country, between both parties.

I think people underestimate just how popular and accepted it is. It's not even close at this point.

Zukkoyaki

Are you saying that discrimination against gays is popular or that gays are pretty well accepted these days?

Edit: Gotcha, the ladder

I think people underestimate just how popular and accepted it is. It's not even close at this point.

Everyone knows someone who is gay. You can't hide in your white suburb and pretend they don't exist. As more and more people came out over the last few decades, people were more exposed to gay people, and tolerance grew rapidly.

It's not a winning war for the GOP. And it's been demonstrated in the recent past to be the game changer for winning or losing elections.

Are you saying that discrimination against gays is popular or that gays are pretty well accepted these days?

Being gay is widely accepted these days. It has bipartisan support.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yep, as terrible as it sounds I actually hope that rumor is true. A wide-reaching LGBT executive order would be disastrous to his presidency.

Sadly, I doubt even he is that stupid. One thing he has been consistent on is saying (though possibly not actually meaning) he doesn't have anything against the LGBT community. And I have a lot of doubts about that rogue white house twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom