• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think "identity politics" might still end up being pushed by liberals and Democrats in 2018 and 2020, especially if Trump does something to the LGBTQ community. Campaigning will focus on Trump's hate and discriminatory behavior... just like what Hillary did. The irony would hurt me.

2018 is a midterm election though. Turnout is usually MUCH lower, and a very angry democratic base could make gains...especially if Trump fails to follow through bringing jobs back or deporting Mexicans...which he will.

I've been trying to do some research but can't find anything. Assuming Trump rescinds the order protecting dreamers is there anything to legally stop the deportations of all of them

The Holocaust Museum is not amused.

C3cvEnHXUAIBFng.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I live over an hour away from the nearest major city but if I'm off work I'll be at the protest when this happens. Fuck this.

Better get on Amazon and order some signs and a little drum.

mo60

The other side of this is that it will show Muslim-Americans that the rest of the country cares about them even less because there wasn't the same level of backlash that there is from the mere idea of this EO

Pretty sure this is a conscious move to make the divide between Muslims and the rest of the country bigger, but it depends on how smart the administration is

easier to eliminate groups one at a time than all together imo

If the administration was smart they wouldn't dare touch anything LGBT related after what happened in NC in 2016.

I don't think LGBT acceptance is *popular* with Republicans but the base that hates it is too small for discrimination to be a winning argument. Cooper won because enough Republican were put off by McCrory while happily voting for Burr and Trunp.

I don't think it's popular at all, as it's barely accepted by the ones who have gay children. They see it as an "agenda" being forced down their throat (LOL at their choice of words, not mine).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I hope the energy that is going into blocking Betsy DeVos (and holy fuck, every person I've seen, even non-political people, hate this woman so much) can be channeled into blocking Jeff Sessions and Rex Tillerson also.

Because their jobs are going to matter more than DeVos' job I think.

And they are worse than DeVos... Though DeVos is remarkably terrible!

There's not much to be done about Sessions, no one in the GOP will jump ship on him. DeVos and Tillerson, maybe. The most we can hope for is a party line vote on Sessions.

I visited the Holocaust Museum once, only briefly as I didn't have much time, but that place just... sticks with your soul in ways that you can't describe. No matter what you're expecting or how much you know beforehand about the Holocaust, actually being in the museum makes you feel the gravity of things in a way I can't imagine other places doing except actual sites in Europe.

It's really astounding to me that anyone can work for the Federal government in D.C., next to that museum, and still not care or understand. It's inhuman.

Hardiman said it was illegal to ban reading from the Bible in show and tell, but not illegal to ban "I love boobies" braclets on schools for breast cancer awareness month.

He's like >_>

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is the ultimate goal of the LGBTQ EO to isolate that community by forcing them to move to liberal states with laws that benefit them, therefore increasing the power of the red states in elections?

Is the ultimate goal of the LGBTQ EO to isolate that community by forcing them to move to liberal states with laws that benefit them, therefore increasing the power of the red states in elections?
This would be super unlikely considering getting people to move in large numbers is really difficult. Atlanta will have to continue being a black gay capital.

JonCha

Would still be interceptable in many ways while in the WH. This is the WH, not a random building.

It's as legit as Jill Stein's recount effort. The one that Clinton supporters gave 5 million dollars and email addresses to.

There isn't going to be an "undisclosed place" in the White House that the WH / Chief of Staff / etc aren't going to know about. You guys are getting played for suckers by folks looking to confirm pre-existing beliefs and make some money on the side.

We'll know by the end of the week though: they've sound that's when we're going to have the draft LGBT EO and it's being reported by others on Twitter too. What then?

There aren't enough gay people to tip the scale like that, and certainly not enough with the financial means to simply move to another state ASAP.

Trump is doing what presidents do: rewarding loyal base groups, donors, etc. In this case he's rewarding the religious right. Let's not forget this is exactly what Ted Cruz wanted to do, so it's not a Trump specific plot. Do I think Trump has any ideological alliance to right wing fundamentalism like Cruz? Of course not, he's clearly not religious. But the end result will be the same: LGBTQ people get hurt, the base is satisfied, promise fulfilled.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
the 538 graphic.

Reporting about Hardiman pegs him as just as Conservative as Gorsuch with more of a mad on for destroying free speech.
Just to point out, FiveThirtyEight did not do the calculation that pegged him a moderate: it was by a political scientist at Washington University.

The article mentions his conservative leanings:

FiveThirtyEight said:
Hardiman, meanwhile, looks like the centrist of the group. According to the common space scores, he'd fall somewhere just to the left of Chief Justice John Roberts and just to the right of Kennedy, often the court's swing voter. But despite the centrist score, Hardiman's record does reveal conservative bona fides, as SCOTUSblog laid out: He has taken an expansive view of the right to bear arms, voted against inmates in death penalty cases and proven unsympathetic to many free speech claims. Also notable for a court that may face a challenge to its past ruling in Roe v. Wade: Hardiman has not yet ruled directly on abortion issues.

Epstein and the scholars Andrew Martin and Kevin Quinn studied potential nominees in a paper back in September and noted that Hardiman could significantly change the dynamics of the court. ”Were he to replace Scalia, there is some possibility that he would relieve Kennedy of Kennedy's ‘super median' status," they wrote. ”Hardiman or Kennedy could form majority coalitions with the left or right side of the Court — in much the same way that Kennedy and O'Connor did in the 1990s-2000s."

kirblar

Do you really not realize this is what happens anyway?

Gay people move to cities en masse already for a reason. And when you're single/childless, that city being in the same state isn't all that relevant.

royalan

I'm steeling myself for anything at this point.

In all my musings, of all the crazy things Trump proposed during the campaign, the Muslim ban was the most extreme (next to killing the families of terrorists). That we got that within the first ten days tells me that everything he campaigned on is on the table in some way, shape or form.

rokkerkory

Sorry if this was answered already, but did he give us a reason why none of the countries that had terrorists of 911 were not banned?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sheesh this is crazy. God I wish there was this much energy during the election.

A lot of people are apathetic until reality hits home. "Life comes at you fast."

A lot of people still thought "it can't happen here" because literal nazis are just cartoons and video game enemies.

Plus the media's overall shitty job with false equivalency, making HER EMAILS more important than all the signs of fascists and anarchists buddying up with Trump... I'd bet it had a real impact on people not taking Trump seriously.

With no small irony, Trump moving so fast in order to appease his supporters also makes him terrifying to people who thought he couldn't be for real or it couldn't happen here.

Just to point out, FiveThirtyEight did not do the calculation that pegged him a moderate: it was by a political scientist at Washington University.

The article mentions his conservative leanings:
Yes. I realise. And note they explain the JCS score metric. (No one seemed to bother to read it though.)

And it just doesn't take into account their actual judicial record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom