• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
White evangelicals and Mormons still don't like gay people at all, but I think even Trump's rabid hate base doesn't have that much hate for gay people any more.

I hope I'm right anyway.

mo60

Watching the US Travel Ban Emergency Debate in Parliament and feeling proud of the few MPs that bothered to gather for this event.

I do not appreciate that Theresa May will ignore all of it.

I think the opposition parties in Canada are also calling for an emergency debate on this topic, but I'm not sure if it happened yet. A few Canadian premiers ike Rachel Notley and Canada's PM justin trudeau made comments about trump's muslim ban.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
White evangelicals and Mormons still don't like gay people at all, but I think even Trump's rabid hate base doesn't have that much hate for gay people any more.

I hope I'm right anyway.

Plenty of people still harbor anti-gay sentiment, but the last ten years have seen such a seismic change in popular opinion that all but the most insane people recognize it is a losing argument.

mo60

Yep, as terrible as it sounds I actually hope that rumor is true. A wide-reaching LGBT executive order would be disastrous to his presidency.

Sadly, I doubt even he is that stupid. One thing he has been consistent on is saying (though possibly not actually meaning) he doesn't have anything against the LGBT community. And I have a lot of doubts about that rogue white house twitter.

It's possibly his inner circle is pushing him to write an EO focused on the LGBT.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is where we're going to see how much republicans REALLY care about states' rights. You know several states are going to have their own law, and republicans can't pick and choose.

Spencer Cox and McMuffin are supporters of gay rights (which I mean... McMuffin's mom is a lesbian so yeah), so it's not all Mormon Republicans, but the LDS church has been doing cruel and dumb shit about gay people ever since gay marriage.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Yep, as terrible as it sounds I actually hope that rumor is true. A wide-reaching LGBT executive order would be disastrous to his presidency.

Sadly, I doubt even he is that stupid. One thing he has been consistent on is saying (though possibly not actually meaning) he doesn't have anything against the LGBT community. And I have a lot of doubts about that rogue white house twitter.

It is his inner circle. Hiding voices of some groups slowly but surely. LGBT, Muslims, and what ever is next.

I don't think LGBT acceptance is *popular* with Republicans but the base that hates it is too small for discrimination to be a winning argument. Cooper won because enough Republican were put off by McCrory while happily voting for Burr and Trunp.

I don't think LGBT acceptance is *popular* with Republicans but the base that hates it is too small for discrimination to be a winning argument. Cooper won because enough Republican were put off by McCrory while happily voting for Burr and Trunp.

It's popular with businesses and we all know how much Republicans care about businesses.

Businesses pulled out of NC after McCrory pulled his shit. Let's be real, that was a major reason he lost.

Debirudog

um, no.

It should not happen.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It is his inner circle. Hiding voices of some groups slowly but surely. LGBT, Muslims, and what ever is next.

Difference is that Trump has been saying the Muslim, Mexico shit all along. He hasn't actually done anything yet he didn't say he was going to. He's been saying all along also that he doesn't oppose LGBT rights, so this would be new.

Not in any way putting it past him, just saying there's reason to doubt it.

Difference is that Trump has been saying the Muslim, Mexico shit all along. He hasn't actually done anything yet he didn't say he was going to. He's been saying all along also that he doesn't oppose LGBT rights, so this would be new.

Trump promised during the campaign to rescind Obama's EO protecting LGBT federal employees from discrimination IIRC.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

True. If his inner circle is saying do it then it might be that. At one point he will say something that doesn't have to deal with his policies or the shit he was screaming at. It has only been 10 days and the Muslim ban was feet in the water.

That too above. With Obamas EO this goes with it then.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Trump promised during the campaign to rescind Obama's EO protecting LGBT federal employees from discrimination IIRC.

I must have missed that. If so, that's a prime candidate for something he would actually do. I wonder if that would be enough to spark the massive protests we need.

Teggy

This is a beautiful thing:

C3chIukWIAEn6fT.jpg

Also this:

https://twitter.com/ggreeneva/status/826150661968519168
(several Spicer tweets complaining about minor delays at airport - He minimized impact detaining legal residents as "a couple of hours")

Fox news has an article up about the Canadian attacker being Moroccan, which is completely false
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/826120752529301504

Also JK Rowling is destroying Pepes left and right.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/826121681999650817

It's popular with businesses and we all know how much Republicans care about businesses.

Businesses pulled out of NC after McCrory pulled his shit. Let's be real, that was a major reason he lost.
Well sure that too, but it's definitely an area the GOP tried to moderate on. Kasich and McMullin both give the "don't agree with Obergefell but it's the law and we should move past it". Jeb and Christie I think were for civil unions (lol)

Most Republicans still don't like it which is why the only actually pro gay marriage Republicans are Collins and Portman I think.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Sessions is the piece to this all.

a lengthy email, Bannon described Sessions as “the clearinghouse for policy and philosophy” in Trump’s administration, saying he and the senator are joined at the center of Trump’s “pro-America movement” and the global nationalist phenomenon.

“In America and Europe, working people are reasserting their right to control their own destinies,” Bannon wrote. “Jeff Sessions has been at the forefront of this movement for years, developing populist nation-state policies that are supported by the vast and overwhelming majority of Americans, but are poorly understood by cosmopolitan elites in the media that live in a handful of our larger cities.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3c4b4fb5a63_story.html?utm_term=.9e8734e2b6f2

JonCha

Really hoping the Rogue POTUS Staff account on Twitter is legit. Having some kind of commentary of what's going is is exactly what the administration surely hates and what we need. Pretty scary reading at times though.

Grief.exe

Just heard an interview on NPR with a diplomat from Lithuania discussing the government handing out booklets the citizens on what to do in the event of a Russian invasion.

I wonder what it felt like for an average citizen before WW2.

mo60

Really hoping the Rogue POTUS Staff account on Twitter is legit. Having some kind of commentary of what's going is is exactly what the administration surely hates and what we need. Pretty scary reading at times though.

If it's actually real it's someone probably posting this stuff in an undisclosed place in the white house or someone that lives in DC that has connections to the current administration.

Just heard an interview on NPR with a diplomat from Lithuania discussing the government handing out booklets the citizens on what to do in the event of a Russian invasion.

I wonder what it felt like for an average citizen before WW2.

The Chinese Civil War and the Holodomor were going on pre-WW2 so we're still a bit far away from that period.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
it's possible it's someone outside of the whitehouse running the account.

Would still be interceptable in many ways while in the WH. This is the WH, not a random building.

It's as legit as Jill Stein's recount effort. The one that Clinton supporters gave 5 million dollars and email addresses to.

If it's actually real it's someone probably posting this stuff in an undisclosed placed in the white house or someone that lives in DC that has connections to the current administration.

There isn't going to be an "undisclosed place" in the White House that the WH / Chief of Staff / etc aren't going to know about. You guys are getting played for suckers by folks looking to confirm pre-existing beliefs and make some money on the side.

mo60

Would still be interceptable in many ways while in the WH. This is the WH, not a random building.

It's as legit as Jill Stein's recount effort. The one that Clinton supporters gave 5 million dollars and email addresses to.

There isn't going to be an "undisclosed place" in the White House that the WH / Chief of Staff / etc aren't going to know about. You guys are getting played for suckers who want to believe.

I'm actualy kinda skeptical of that account.There are definitely WH staffers that don't like trump much, but it;s unlikely they woud be doing anything that rogue POTUS account has done on twitter while in the WH. They would be using another form of communication to reveal whatever they have on the current administration.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm actualy kinda skeptical of that account.There are definitely WH staffers that don't like trump much, but it;s unlikely they woud be doing anything that rogue POTUS account has done on twitter while in the WH. They would be using another form of communication to reveal whatever they have on the current administration.

They would be leaking to NYT/WaPo/etc - places that have well defined and well practiced ways of getting and protecting information and identities. I doubt more than one or two of the Rogue twitter accounts are legitimate.

I hope the energy that is going into blocking Betsy DeVos (and holy fuck, every person I've seen, even non-political people, hate this woman so much) can be channeled into blocking Jeff Sessions and Rex Tillerson also.

Because their jobs are going to matter more than DeVos' job I think.

And they are worse than DeVos... Though DeVos is remarkably terrible!

FZZ

Banned

The other side of this is that it will show Muslim-Americans that the rest of the country cares about them even less because there wasn't the same level of backlash that there is from the mere idea of this EO

Pretty sure this is a conscious move to make the divide between Muslims and the rest of the country bigger, but it depends on how smart the administration is

easier to eliminate groups one at a time than all together imo

Ogodei

Everyone knows someone who is gay. You can't hide in your white suburb and pretend they don't exist. As more and more people came out over the last few decades, people were more exposed to gay people, and tolerance grew rapidly.

It's not a winning war for the GOP. And it's been demonstrated in the recent past to be the game changer for winning or losing elections.

Being gay is widely accepted these days. It has bipartisan support.

It's weird how fast that whipsawed, too. 2004 opposition to gay marriage was a way to turn a close election in your favor. 2016 a transgender discrimination bill gets you to lose an election by a hair.

That doesn't mean he cares about them.

Wilsongt

It's weird how fast that whipsawed, too. 2004 opposition to gay marriage was a way to turn a close election in your favor. 2016 a transgender discrimination bill gets you to lose an election by a hair.

That, as well as the economic impact and the state wide freeze of the minimum wage was a part of HB2, also.

I was living in Wisconsin in 2006, so my go-to example is that a Constitutional Amendment banning both gay marriage and civil unions passed that election with over 59% of the vote. And that was a Democratic wave cycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom