• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would definitely be worried about reelection in a state where Democrats consistently win statewide elections and has been won by increasing margins every presidential year.

kirblar

Democrats lost 9 Senate seats that cycle. This was hardly an indication that VA is a red state. No excuse for Warner to vote for Tillerson. None.
VA is a purple state, where NOVA is super blue, and the rest of the state is super not.

Winning re-election is more important than making a bunch of other people feel better on a meaningless vote for a nominee who isn't Sessions/DeVos.

chadskin

You were all wrong

@AP:
BREAKING: President Trump makes unannounced trip to honor the return of fallen US Navy SEAL killed in Yemen raid.

jtb

Banned
is Sessions' confirmation still a forgone conclusion?

that seems like a way higher priority than DeVos to me. I get that Sessions is all buddy-buddy with all of his senate colleagues, but god... there's got to be a way, right?

VA is a purple state, where NOVA is super blue, and the rest of the state is super not.

Winning re-election is more important than making a bunch of other people feel better on a meaningless vote for a nominee who isn't Sessions/DeVos.

Fuck your selfish desire for symbolism.

Kaine is actually up for re-election and voted against Tillerson.

is Sessions' confirmation still a forgone conclusion?

that seems like a way higher priority than DeVos to me. I get that Sessions is all buddy-buddy with all of his senate colleagues, but god... there's got to be a way, right?

It is. The best Democrats can do is to make it as small a margin as possible (probably Manchin, Heitkamp, Donnelly voting for him).

Unless they can get more hearings for him to get soundbites. They should do that if they can.

Vixdean

You were all wrong

@AP:
BREAKING: President Trump makes unannounced trip to honor the return of fallen US Navy SEAL killed in Yemen raid.

I feel like Democrats haven't talked enough about how Trump's first official military action was a huge failure that left two Americans dead.

studyguy

You were all wrong

@AP:

Taking bets on how many times he congratulates himself when he's supposed to be thanking the soldier for his service and sacrifice on the operation. Also slightly surprised he's willing to throw himself in front of this bullet. I figured he'd try to let it get buried under the news avalanche. Guess someone told him people were pissed enough for it to be a ticking bomb.

Dude, if southern Virginia couldn't outvote NOVA in the red rural wave of 2016, then Virginia it's bluer than my balls.

jtb

Banned
I feel like Democrats haven't talked enough about how Trump's first official military action was a huge failure that left two Americans dead.

I like the Trump/DDOS analogy. There's so much crazy, awful shit to attack that the system is just completely overloaded.

Nobody is saying that VA is super blue. We're saying that if Dem senators from other purple states like WI and PA can get with the program, so can Warner. And there's no reason he needs to vote for an unqualified nominee to win re-election.

That goes for... uh... almost every blue state in the country?

I mean, even New York looks like this, and that was with that shitlord running as the republican representative
635px-New_York_Presidential_Election_Results_2016.svg.png

you really need to get past that edgelord undegrad mentality one of these days, mate.

kirblar

That doesn't seem to matter when NOVA consistently outvotes the rest of the state in presidential elections.
And your opinion doesn't matter when you live in Idaho and don't vote in VA elections.
I edited this out because it was meant as a general statement, but it came out as a personal one.

To get control of the Senate, we need 51 seats. I don't blame the ones with risky seats for playing it safe.

On a vote that actually matters (like the SC one), thats where it counts.

jtb

Banned
And your opinion doesn't matter when you live in Idaho and don't vote in VA elections.

I edited this out because it was meant as a general statement, but it came out as a personal one.

To get control of the Senate, we need 51 seats. I don't blame the ones with risky seats for playing it safe.

Here's a more productive way of framing the Tillerson/generally meaningless cabinet vote question (that I'm genuinely interested in your opinion on):

Do you think Kaine should have voted to confirm Tillerson?

mo60

It's a lean blue state. Hilary won VA by like 5.4%in the last election. It was only purple in 2012.

Kusagari

Tester is up for reelection in 2018 in Montana and has voted against everyone except for Mattis, Kelly and Haley.

Shit excuse for Warner. He barely won reelection 2 years ago in a Republican wave election in an increasingly blue state? So what? So many other Democrats voting against these picks are in much worse situations.

kirblar

Here's a more productive way of framing the Tillerson/generally meaningless cabinet vote question (that I'm genuinely interested in your opinion on):

Do you think Kaine should have voted to confirm Tillerson?
I don't care how they vote because the vote isn't important and something's obviously being said behind the scenes to reassure people, especially given who was pushing him as a candidate. (Rice/Gates aren't Trumpers.)

Senators could give a flying fuck what your opinion is if you're not a constituent. People go on and on about the 50 state strategy, then start complaining when they see it in action.

jtb

Banned
I think just one more.

they need one more

just. fucking. one.

assuming every D falls in line...

which should be an easier sell on DeVos than some of the other candidates, but you never know... [nervously eyeing Manchin]

I don't care how they vote because the vote isn't important and something's obviously being said behind the scenes to reassure people, especially given who was pushing him as a candidate. (Rice/Gates aren't Trumpers.)

They're lobbyists who retain Exxon as a client. Similar deal as the Obama solicitor general pushing for Gorsuch. I don't buy for a second that they have any personal liking towards Tillerson, though clearly the corporate interests are pushing for his confirmation and putting pressure on the GOP establishment.

UberTag

I thought Trump didn't have any respect for "loser" soldiers who get killed or captured in action...
Don't worry. Trump will still spend all of his time talking about himself.
This is posturing because a full-fledged military campaign will be launched soon and he wants soldiers to think he's in their corner.

studyguy

DeVos needs 51 votes. We need 3 to kill it since there are 52 republicans. 2 NOs with R leads to a tie iirc that Pence breaks to 51. This assumes all D's vote NO.

kirblar

They're lobbyists who retain Exxon as a client. Similar deal as the Obama solicitor general pushing for Gorsuch. I don't buy for a second that they have any personal liking towards Tillerson, though clearly the corporate interests are pushing for his confirmation and putting pressure on the GOP establishment.
In this case, I trust someone beholden to corporate interests (which value stability) over Trump's.

I just don't see Tillerson having much of an effect on actual FP decisions either way, given how the administration has acted so far. Sec. State always just seems an avatar for the admin abroad, and not super impactful.

Blader

assuming every D falls in line...

which should be an easier sell on DeVos than some of the other candidates, but you never know... [nervously eyeing Manchin]

What similar incentive is there for a solicitor general to endorse a judge?

jtb

Banned
What similar incentive is there for a solicitor general to endorse a judge?

https://thinkprogress.org/obama-law...in-supreme-court-93c70ad1d77a?gi=6b0eaeb8eb7e

As a private lawyer, he's representing corporate cases that will be argued in front of the supreme court soon.

Which R's are being looked at for the last DeVos vote? Should I be calling Daryl Issa (I live in his district)?

Call him up anyways because he's a jackass and should be target #1 for flipping the house in 2018.

Why're all these senators shook? No one will care about these appointment votes. Are you gonna get an attack ad on not voting for Betsy DeVos of all people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom