• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

NORTH CAROLINA — Six Democratic sponsors filed legislation in the North Carolina House of Representatives on Thursday, February 9th that would repeal the state’s “bathroom bill” and expand LGBT protections.

“It’s long overdue,” one of the sponsors, state Rep. Pricey Harrison of Greensboro, told The News and Observer. “We will do our hardest to enact this legislation.”

HB2, signed into law last March, bans people from using public bathrooms that don’t correspond to their biological sex as listed on their birth certificates.

The law also stops local governments from passing their own non-discrimination laws that would expand rights for LGBT people or allow them to use bathrooms and other public facilities that correspond to their gender preference.

Good

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
McCain is just a bitter, old man bent on destroying everything Obama built.
Which is weird, since other than beating him roundly in 08 I can't think of specific (let alone repeated) attacks from Obama on McCain the man, senator, or soldier. Just the policies.

McCain has made a career out of being disrespected by his own party, walked all over by them and still toeing the line. For all his maverick-ness he it's a shame he can't see he means nothing to them but a vote for their team when it's needed.

Sounds like she has more of a spine than her father.
Her father does more good being in the Senate than being some angry old unemployed man cursing at the president. In preserving his part of decorum and not degenerating into meaningless tirades because of pride he is more courageous than most people.
Which is weird, since other than beating him roundly in 08 I can't think of specific (let alone repeated) attacks from Obama on McCain the man, senator, or soldier. Just the policies.

McCain has made a career out of being disrespected by his own party, walked all over by them and still toeing the line. For all his maverick-ness he it's a shame he can't see he means nothing to them but a vote for their team when it's needed.
Yes, love of country without it being reciprocated by your own party and base is truly selfless.

jtb

Banned

McCain hasn't been a maverick for a decade plus. But since the media loves to yak it up with him (and, don't get me wrong, he's a damn good politician because of this), no one seems to have picked up on his senility.

As an aside, you could see Trump's campaign strategy as a rich man's hybrid version of the Straight Talk Express.

Her father does more good being in the Senate than being some angry old unemployed man cursing at the president. In preserving his part of decorum and not degenerating into meaningless tirades because of pride he is more courageous than most people.

Yes, love of country without it being reciprocated by your own party and base is truly selfless.

Decorum is meaningless. Show me the votes.

jtb

Banned
Can we just appreciate for a moment that Rand Paul voted Jeff "good people don't smoke marijuana" Sessions to have major control of drug persecution.

@daveweigel
In @cspan interview w @RandPaul, tells me and @nielslesniewski that he had doubts about Sessions but Dems' personal attacks locked his vote.

lol

principled conservative Rand Pau... oh wrong one

Goodstyle

@daveweigel
In @cspan interview w @RandPaul, tells me and @nielslesniewski that he had doubts about Sessions but Dems' personal attacks locked his vote.

lol

principled conservative Rand Pau... oh wrong one

#ThisIsWhyTrumpWon in microcosm.

jtb

Banned
Speaking of good Weigel tweets

@daveweigel
Any consideration of whether Dems are doomed in rural areas should consider why they gained 12 Kansas lege seats in 2016.

Yooo

@MeghanMcCain:
Trump has never served. My father can't bend one of his knees or lift one of his arms above his head. I am done with this today. DONE.

Oh please. This woman was on Fox sucking Trump's dick after the election even after all the other shit he said about him. Just as spineless as her dad.

PKrockin

Yooo

@MeghanMcCain:
Trump has never served. My father can't bend one of his knees or lift one of his arms above his head. I am done with this today. DONE.
Hard to imagine anything more insulting to our soldiers than to mock the military service of a man who was beaten and tortured for 5 years and permanently disabled as a result of serving our country. Especially when it's coming from a repeated draft-dodger.

It was a real window into what kind of person he is at his core, IMO.

Sounds like she has more of a spine than her father.

Hell no. Same person who spent the entire election arguing there's next to no difference between Hillary and Trump, same person who makes asinine "both sides" arguments all day, same people who hasn't lived a day in the real world yet is paid to explain what "young people" think.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hell no. Same person who spent the entire election arguing there's next to no difference between Hillary and Trump, same person who makes asinine "both sides" arguments all day, same people who hasn't lived a day in the real world yet is paid to explain what "young people" think.
Well didn't know that nvm. Republicans really are all spineless traitors.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Speaking of good Weigel tweets

@daveweigel
Any consideration of whether Dems are doomed in rural areas should consider why they gained 12 Kansas lege seats in 2016.

To be fair, Kansas is a total disaster. If our entire country hits that level of incompetence before 2018, we'll have a lot more to worry about than just picking up some Congressional seats.

Breads

Banned
I think that the hell of it all is that progress would slow down or halt. I never imagined that so many people would support progress going backwards for minorities in the US.

Everything Ryan wants is political suicide. This has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with his policy priorities and desires. He's just never been in a position to actually get legislation signed.

Paul Ryan doesn't want a border tax, nor does Mitch McConnell. It's an insane idea and we're just now seeing pushback.

Ryan would pass most of his agenda if he could, I'd imagine. McConnell is simply smart enough not to cosign it (specifically gutting Medicare/SS), plus Trump has said he doesn't want to cut entitlements. We'll get major tax cuts and tax code reforms...that's about it. The republican policy agenda is largely fantasy land shit or stuff that leadership knows isn't popular.

Paul Ryan doesn't want a border tax, nor does Mitch McConnell. It's an insane idea and we're just now seeing pushback.

Ryan would pass most of his agenda if he could, I'd imagine. McConnell is simply smart enough not to cosign it (specifically gutting Medicare/SS), plus Trump has said he doesn't want to cut entitlements. We'll get major tax cuts and tax code reforms...that's about it. The republican policy agenda is largely fantasy land shit or stuff that leadership knows isn't popular.

I'm wondering if there are enough unicorns in Congress who actually care about deficits who would actually not vote yes on a tax cut for the rich if it greatly increased the deficit.

jtb

Banned
Paul Ryan has failed upwards simply due to how chaotic the GOP's political structure has been over the past decade. His agenda is even more unpopular than Trump's agenda.

To be fair, Kansas is a total disaster. If our entire country hits that level of incompetence before 2018, we'll have a lot more to worry about than just picking up some Congressional seats.

On the other hand, Trump is basically following the Kansas/Kobach playbook.

sangreal

I'm wondering if there are enough unicorns in Congress who actually care about deficits who would actually not vote yes on a tax cut for the rich if it greatly increased the deficit.

Sure -- they don't believe that tax cuts increase the deficit, regardless of what the CBO might say

I hear that is working out great for Kansas

tbm24

Incoming ruling from the 9th circuit on the travel ban according to CNN within the next couple of hours, not sure what time those offices close. The day is only going to get more wild. Fully expect Trump to publically shit on judges again and Spicer come out and try to claim his opinion totally okay.

But they don't have to flip 12 seats in Kansas, they just need to flip 25 seats total.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Paul Ryan has failed upwards simply due to how chaotic the GOP's political structure has been over the past decade. His agenda is even more unpopular than Trump's agenda.

On the other hand, Trump is basically following the Kansas/Kobach playbook.

But they don't have to flip 12 seats in Kansas, they just need to flip 25 seats total.

Oh, I know. Was just making a general comment about Kansas and the dumpster fire it has become.

Looking at the map, though, I'm not seeing where these 25 seats are flipped. Rural areas have gotten more polarized. Look at that map--2010 northern Michigan was blue. That will NEVER happen for a decade at least--maybe more. Latest poll (a couple days ago) had Trump's popularity near 60% there. Rural people love his racist policies, which is ironic considering immigrants would most likely never end up in those areas.

These people are also motivated by the topic of abortion, and unless dems start running some pro-life candidates (like Stupak was in that northern Michigan area back then), they'll never get those seats.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
BREAKING NEWS: 9th circuit court has reached a decision.

I think i just heard that on cnn

Edit: idid and the decision will be known in a few hours or less

jtb

Banned
There are, what, 15 or so suburban districts that voted Clinton and a GOP rep? Those should be easy pickings with a competent DCCC. (Hardly a given, obviously). After that, it's anyone's guess.

It's 85-40, which is still bad but I wish my state was that even!

Speaking of Kansas, how does Kathleen Sebelius fit into 50 state strategy considerations there?

What a coincidence, she was just on Here & Now on NPR earlier today. She seemed to shut down the idea of running for governor and instead focused on her support for a new generation of Kansas activists and politicians, which arguably is a better position for her to take. Her HHS time I think has made her DOA for any sort of statewide office.

What a coincidence, she was just on Here & Now on NPR earlier today. She seemed to shut down the idea of running for governor and instead focused on her support for a new generation of Kansas activists and politicians, which arguably is a better position for her to take. Her HHS time I think has made her DOA for any sort of statewide office.
I didn't mean her specifically, I'm just surprised she got elected even though she's pretty progressive, especially for 2002.

Like 50 state strategy logic says we'd need a pro-life candidate to win but that obviously wasn't the case in 2002.

Return of the King (Wait, Who?)

You may have forgotten about Olbermann. It’s been more than six years since the fiery liberal tirade artist left his signature show on MSNBC. But he’s got a Web series now. With a polarizing new president to fulminate against, he’s calling his new show “The Resistance,” and he’s more than happy to play to type.

The concept is simple: The veteran broadcaster, dressed as usual like a “Mad Men” antihero, sits behind a desk against a stark backdrop and rants for about seven minutes in bleak and blunt terms about the dangers of having Donald Trump as president. The recordings have the feeling of something smuggled out of a country under siege, a last-man-standing beseeching the camera I don’t have much time, so . . .

“This is about a man not in his right mind who now has nuclear weapons,” Olbermann says in one video, staring directly at the viewer.

“Donald Trump has branded himself a traitor to everything this country has stood for,” he declares in another. “We will remove him.”

Then there’s Olbermann. After a couple of unlikely career shifts — from longtime sportscaster to cable news pundit and back again — he’s ready for another spotlight. And his video commentaries have been getting more than 2 million views an episode.

“More people are paying attention to my message at the moment than they would be if I were some other host on MSNBC or CNN,” he said.

Olbermann has always had a healthy ego. He used to hang on the door of his MSNBC office a list of famous people who tuned in to his show — including, he claimed, all the living ex-presidents and Mel Brooks. He jokes that the reason HBO’s drama “The Newsroom” was canceled was because “they must have run out of things to cut and paste from my emails and commentary

Yet he has maintained the attention of at least one influential player: David Brock, the mega-fundraiser behind various Hillary Clinton-affiliated super PACs. After Clinton’s surprising defeat, critics blasted Brock for being good at bilking rich Democratic donors but not much else. That criticism reached a peak last month when about 200 Democratic leaders attended a Brock fundraiser at a golf resort outside Miami on the same weekend as the Women’s March on Washington.

It wasn’t a great look for top Democrats to miss one of the biggest grass-roots demonstrations in history. And then, Brock picked Olbermann — a white guy who gained fame yammering about sports — as the keynote speaker.

“Some folks thought he would be too much of an acquired taste,” Brock said. “But I went with my instinct. . . . His speech was so good I forgot to eat that night.”

In late 2010, MSNBC suspended him from his popular show, “Countdown,” after reports that he had donated to Democratic campaigns. He left shortly after that and landed at the now-defunct Current TV, which fired him about a year later; he sued before reaching an undisclosed financial settlement.

After bouncing around in sports programming again, Olbermann began taking meetings in search of another show. In 2016, Geoff Gagnon, an editor at GQ, called.

“I said, ‘It’s a shame that you’re not out there, that there’s this crazy election and where’s Keith Olbermann?’” Gagnon recalled. “And he was kind of like, that’s exactly something I’ve been feeling as well.”

The left has been accused of crying wolf in the past, and Olbermann may be guiltier than most. For years he spent a chunk of his show dubbing various media and political figures — Bill O’Reilly, Rick Santorum, George W. Bush — as the “Worst Person in the World.” He’s got no regrets.

“Permit me to apologize on behalf of the citizens of the United States of America for the unforgivable actions of the man who has assumed power here,” Olbermann said. “I speak for those unlike Trump, unlike the sycophants who surround him, unlike the hate-filled souls and the conscious optional bigots who applaud him, unlike the Russian puppeteers who may be manipulating him.”

Yes, Olbermann can be hacky and pompous, but he’s always had a knack for connecting with an audience. His monologues have a writerly touch, and he at least appears to truly believe what he’s saying.

time is a flat circle

Political speeches at film awards shows, people wondering whether [insert meh politician] can be a good challenger nominee because they served in the military...now Olbermann. Good god, it is the aughts again.

I just hope this movie doesn't end how that one ended in four years.

Olberman is like the batman of politics. (half joke)

--

I wonder how many States have to legalize marajuana before it becomes pointless for other States to have it illegal due to the massive amount of flow between states.

*whispers* Corey Stewart is a Nazi and he's running for Governor of Virginia.

C4P6BfRVUAEYVvZ.jpg

But his polling sucks at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom