• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.
O god are they getting Le Pen!?.

The way the French presidential electoral system works more or less ensures that Le Pen won't win. She'll get to the second round, but has consistently struggled to get above 40%. She'll do better than her father did when he got to the second round, but I don't think it'll be a close election.

chadskin

Looks like McMaster is a good pick.
In contrast to Trump’s stated enthusiasm for torture, McMaster ordered detainees be treated humanely, and even polled detainees on how well the regiment followed through. And in contrast to the dark view of Islam put forward by Trump, his strategy chief Steve Bannon and, most notably, Flynn – who once tweeted that fear of Muslims is “rational” – McMaster ordered his troops not to use derogatory terms to refer to Muslims.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/20/trump-appoints-hr-mcmaster-national-security-adviser

Also says he's expected to select his own NSC staff, which hopefully means KT McFarland gets the boot.

Piecake

Looks like McMaster is a good pick.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/20/trump-appoints-hr-mcmaster-national-security-adviser

Also says he's expected to select his own NSC staff, which hopefully means KT McFarland gets the boot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/us/politics/mcmaster-national-security-adviser-trump.html

General McMaster, 54, made a name for himself as a young officer with a searing critique of the Joint Chiefs of Staff for their performance during the Vietnam War and later criticized the way President George W. Bush’s administration went to war in Iraq.

I don't see him lasting long

mo60

The three left parties in France splitting their vote so that none can make it to the runoff is all-time bad politics.

One left wing party is centrist, the other one is further to the left of the first one while the third one is pretty much far left.None of three left wing parties want to unite with each other because of their ideological differences. Also whoever le pen faces in the second round will get over 60 percent of the vote most likely.

tuxfool

Banned
There has to be a catch right? Trump choosing a decent person is too unbelievable

Part of the problem is that a huge swath of the Republican National Security apparatus has criticised the orange turd, either verbally or as a collective via signed letters. This narrows down the field of "acceptable" candidates to a bunch of incompetents.

Part of the problem is that a huge swath of the Republican National Security apparatus has criticised the orange turd, either verbally or as a collective via signed letters. This narrows down the field of "acceptable" candidates to a bunch of incompetents.

The guy NPR had on had nothing but praise for the guy despite being (or so he claimed) a massive critic of the current admin.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My thoughts on Milo: *bill maher voice* Liberals need to acknowledge that despite it being an obvious moral imperative, saying publicly that Muslims are not the root of all evil seems to be an anathema to Americans. This also extends to Israel/Palestine, where I think almost no one cares about Palestine except for Internet people. This is disgusting and tragic-- I agree-- but we need to find a way to get stuff done through the backdoor because otherwise I think we're going to keep losing and some very bad things are going to happen to American Muslims. I don't know what to do. But it's clear that lots of people not only dislike Muslims but actively want them out of America.

My thoughts on Milo: *bill maher voice* Liberals need to acknowledge that despite it being an obvious moral imperative, saying publicly that Muslims are not the root of all evil seems to be an anathema to Americans. This also extends to Israel/Palestine, where I think almost no one cares about Palestine except for Internet people. This is disgusting and tragic-- I agree-- but we need to find a way to get stuff done through the backdoor because otherwise I think we're going to keep losing and some very bad things are going to happen to American Muslims. I don't know what to do. But it's clear that lots of people not only dislike Muslims but actively want them out of America.

So basically project and use republican playbook of lying about motives except for good and not for evil.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yes, can we do that? Someone figure that out.

I dislike how easy it is to corral Republicans and yet so hard with liberals. Even though we do always win the popular vote.

I dislike how easy it is to corral Republicans and yet so hard with liberals. Even though we do always win the popular vote.

We need to put some more fluoride in the water supply of cities it seems. I never really understood why we can't have a young attractive politician with stated views that are purely popular (basically what everyone thought hillary was except young and charismatic) who then does the optimal stuff after winning. Basically if trump was actually a liberal plant.

I think the reason is how we express our fear. Republicans are all about Fight and band together while democrats are all Flight and split off.

Republicans are so easy to corral that have systematically destroyed and remade their parties and terrified all Republican politicians because they're nuts.

Yes, Americans hate Muslims and want them dead, but we have to be 100% pro Muslims because this is actually the right thing to do and you have to bear an unpopular political thing sometimes.

Valhelm

contribute something
What are the policy differences between Hamon and Melenchon? I'm aware Melenchon is more left-wing, but I don't know the specifics.

Is there any hope of an alliance between the two of them?

What are the policy differences between Hamon and Melenchon? I'm aware Melenchon is more left-wing, but I don't know the specifics.

Is there any hope of an alliance between the two of them?

Melenchon is anti-NATO and has called for a maximum income of 360,000 Euros. He's also a tankie who refuses to criticize Maduro's dictatorship IIRC.

Hamon supports a universal basic income paid for by.... taxing automation because... well, it doesn't make any sense (businesses are super slow to use capital to replace labor as is and would stop doing it if there was a high tax on automation and then France would raise no money for their basic income while having no economic growth).

They're kind of meme candidates who are supporting ideas that are liked by some young and loud people but don't make sense.

Melenchon also tactically supports Russia's invasion of Ukraine and has repeated Russian propaganda about Ukraine being infested with NeoNazis (when Russia is run by NeoNazis!) and condemned Ukraine for changing the official language from Russian (Russia killed 6 million Ukrainians in the Holodomor) and for... applying to join NATO.

http://portside.org/2014-03-15/parti-de-gauche-leader-jean-luc-mélenchon-ukraine

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised to see Favreau on Pod Save America so hot on Michael Bennett, when he's all the negatives of Hillary Clinton outside of emails, and none of the positives. Like every criticism he has toward Hillary applies to him just as much.

Though it does make sense if he only knows him from fundraisers. Like Hillary and Kaine, that's where he's most comfortable and in his element.

It's hard to get people to see completely eye-to-eye when they're more likely to see shades of grey in everything. The GOP wrangles millions of votes on culture war issues (LGBT, religion, abortion) and so they've got a huge baseline of people that are convinced that Democrats are by definition unfit to hold office (which is literally what any white person from Mississippi will tell you about voting Democrat. I had one lady after the conventions say, "The Republicans have really messed up with Trump, but after the DNC, I'm damn sure not a Democrat!" Ya know, the DNC about inclusion and shit).

kess

Seems like today would be a good day for ex-Breitbarter Ben Shapiro, if he wasn't already in the bad graces of the alt-right and had less charisma than Ted Cruz.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's hard to get people to see completely eye-to-eye when they're more likely to see shades of grey in everything. The GOP wrangles millions of votes on culture war issues (LGBT, religion, abortion) and so they've got a huge baseline of people that are convinced that Democrats are by definition unfit to hold office (which is literally what any white person from Mississippi will tell you about voting Democrat. I had one lady after the conventions say, "The Republicans have really messed up with Trump, but after the DNC, I'm damn sure not a Democrat!" Ya know, the DNC about inclusion and shit).

Yea, getting Democrats to agree on anything is like trying to herd cats. God forbid any Dems get excited about something dumb because then it just gets even harder to get everyone on the same page.

It's what sucks about having a big tent party: not everyone can agree on things.

Makai

Bruce Springsteen said:
Do you think suppression of speech is something that ONLY can happen when the government is involved?
First amendment rights can only be infringed by the government - obviously freedom of speech can be suppressed by anyone.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Yea, getting Democrats to agree on anything is like trying to herd cats. God forbid any Dems get excited about something dumb because then it just gets even harder to get everyone on the same page.

It's what sucks about having a big tent party: not everyone can agree on things.
You'd think there'd be enough of an agreement on general principles, since they're in one party, that stuff could still happen through compromise but oh I found the problem

mo60

I'm hearing now that kelli ward wants to primary jeff flake.

Edit: It's true and on her campaign page. The AZ senate race in 2018 just got interesting.

She almost beat McCain last year, and Flake has done a lot more to distance himself from Trump and the GOP any comparison.

That being said, Ward is clown shoes so who knows.

I'd have to think Sinema would start out as a slight favorite against Ward.

chadskin

Pence is always in pain.

C5HVd8sWcAQ-9_r.jpg
C3SUBBfXAAA1rSp.jpg
C4vql_JWMAARqrr.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom