• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
That's all fine and good; but don't be worried about "vilifying corporations".

You can talk about how you need the money to compete, but trying to treat corporations like precious children is precisely how you end up losing the labor argument to the corporatist party.

Also, just some numbers about RNC vs DNC funding since 2000 (from opensecrets)

No Ban

Year DNC RNC
2000 162 246
2002 210 356
2004 404 392
2006 131 243
2008 278 444

Ban instituted
2010 230 200
2012 316 409
2014 168 195

Ban Repealed
2016 372 343

Also, Mayor Pete dropping out of the race. :(

I don't see the problem there? Neither corporations or Wall Street are inherently evil. There needs to be nuance beyond reacting negative just because corporation/Wall Street=Big Money=Inherently Corrupt, which unfortunately is something that seems to be severely lacking when the subject comes up. Someone being connected to Wall Street or having Wall Street/Big Bank/etc. money does not mean they are inherently corrupt for the reset of their lives and inherently an enemy whose resources should be refused on those grounds alone.
Well it depends on if this is going to be a worker's party or not.

The ACA is a great example of how things get compromised to be worse for people by inviting the input of industries involved in it though.

They did kill a lot of Nazis!

Along with killing all of their neighbors and citizens who didn't like communism.
I didn't say they were a great long term bet

I've been curiously watching the DNC chair fight play out today from outside the Democratic Party bubble, especially among GOP observers.

If you guessed they're using a potential Ellison DNC chairmanship as proof that the Democrats have been essentially infiltrated and taken over by ISIS and al Qaeda, you're right.

Should the Dems be concerned? I don't think they should let it get in the way of appointing Ellison if he's the guy they think is best for the job. Unity is by far the bigger issue than whatever the right wants to brand them as, and the far more pressing one.

kirblar

Pete dropping is smart due to the possibility of this going to multiple ballots. He avoids making enemies.
Well it depends on if this is going to be a worker's party or not.

The ACA is a great example of how things get compromised to be worse for people by inviting the input of industries involved in it though.
The ACA is a great example of how getting the industries involved gets it a) passed and b) protected when you are not in power.

That latter bit is real important. Look at what the tories are doing in the UK. Having the wrath of the health care industry looming over their heads if they crash it is real pressure on the GOP.

edit: And the Dems will never be a "worker's party" because class solidarity doesn't exist.

royalan

I've been curiously watching the DNC chair fight play out today from outside the Democratic Party bubble, especially among GOP observers.

If you guessed they're using a potential Ellison DNC chairmanship as proof that the Democrats have been essentially infiltrated and taken over by ISIS and al Qaeda, you're right.

Should the Dems be concerned? I don't think they should let it get in the way of appointing Ellison if he's the guy they think is best for the job. Unity is by far the bigger issue than whatever the right wants to brand them as, and the far more pressing one.

Going forward, the Democrats need to care not one bit about what the GOP thinks of anything we do.

Crocodile

The party that got taken over by the alt-right movement that had been growing under its surface is going to complain we've been taken over by ISIS? LOL who gives a shit what those shit-bags think.

Anyway, would Pete be better able to play Kingmaker dropping out now or waiting for this to go to a few ballots?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The party that got taken over by the alt-right movement that had been growing under its surface is going to complain we've been taken over by ISIS? LOL who gives a shit what those shit-bags think.

Anyway, would Pete be better able to play Kingmaker dropping out now or waiting for this to go to a few ballots?

Pete has enough votes to play kingmaker now, he has just decided not to endorse because it might just make things worse.

kirblar

If Pete actively plays Kingmaker he makes enemies.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
If Pete actively plays Kingmaker he makes enemies.

Plus, it defeats the purpose of him running, which is to find someone who isn't in one of the factions. Picking a faction just reinforces what he doesn't want - which is a factionalized party.

Pete dropping is smart due to the possibility of this going to multiple ballots. He avoids making enemies.

The ACA is a great example of how getting the industries involved gets it a) passed and b) protected when you are not in power.

That latter bit is real important. Look at what the tories are doing in the UK. Having the wrath of the health care industry looming over their heads if they crash it is real pressure on the GOP.

edit: And the Dems will never be a "worker's party" because class solidarity doesn't exist.
Let's see how the ACA is doing in (at least) 70 years before saying it's more durable than the NHS.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Plus, it defeats the purpose of him running, which is to find someone who isn't in one of the factions. Picking a faction just reinforces what he doesn't want - which is a factionalized party.

It's part of why I was hoping he'd get picked. He'd be a good pick from a "can he do the job" perspective and he wasn't a part of the primary bullshit.

It's actually somewhat surprising that there isn't a CPAC equivalent on the left.

Getting the left together on anything, with or without protests breaking out, is like herding wet cats. It's one of the negatives of a big tent party: you can't do shit like CPAC because no everyone agrees on everything.

Short of an Obama-con, it just wouldn't work.

Crocodile

But she is his token minority friend tho.

I thought that was Cornel West? :p

I think Keith Ellison is the only prominent minority surrogate Sanders has ever had that actually always seemed to have his head on straight. I guess Linda Sarsour isn't bad either from whenever I've heard her speak.

kirblar

I think Keith Ellison is the only prominent minority surrogate Sanders has ever had that actually always seemed to have his head on straight. I guess Linda Sarsour isn't bad either from whenever I've heard her speak.
That's probably because he's an actual democrat who actually gets elected.

royalan

Obama/Biden put their fingers on the scale when they got Perez to run. Regardless of what people or Op-eds say about where the party is going, it's still Obama's party.

If Schumer had 10 more years in that leader role he, maybe, could have put Ellison over.

I also don't think Bernie helped with his status quo comment. That pissed a lot folks off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I also don't think Bernie helped with his status quo comment. That pissed a lot folks off.

Regardless of how Bernie did in the primary, he hasn't built the sort of relationships in the party needed to influence an election like this.

Anyone who expected him to have the same sort of influence as Obama or Biden was just being unrealistic. It takes a lot of time and work to build that influence, time and work he never put in.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Killer Mike was one of his better minority surrogates. That isn't a knock against Killer Mike, but Bernies bench wasn't deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom