• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is a dumb fight. Ellison and Perez are both awesome picks (Mayor Pete pour one out for ya) Can't wait for this to finally end.
If mayor Pete is as awesome as his hype squad makes it out to be he would be wasted at the DNC :p
It's not a typical step stool to higher office.

kaskade

I really haven't been following the DNC chair stuff much, anything to explain the big differences between the two. I know ellison endorsed bernie and perez endorsed clinton. Other than that they both seem to have the same idea that the dems need a better local ground game.

I really haven't been following the DNC chair stuff much, anything to explain the big differences between the two.

no

because THERE ARE NO BIG DIFFERENCES

literally, they're calling for the same things and it makes sense for the winner to appoint the loser to some Important DNC Position Befitting Their Strengths

If Ellison doesn't get it, as seems likely, I hope they start moving him into House leadership to maybe take over for Pelosi. He's really good and it seems like a waste to just keep him as some congressman.

Of course that would be a concession to us petulant children so whatever.

I really haven't been following the DNC chair stuff much, anything to explain the big differences between the two. I know ellison endorsed bernie and perez endorsed clinton. Other than that they both seem to have the same idea that the dems need a better local ground game.

You basically covered the difference.

I mean Ellison and Perez are friends, couldn't Perez give him a position in outreach and organizing pretty easily?

Edit: he wouldn't even have to quit his gig since it wouldn't have the total DNC to steer.
So when this happens is it fair to expect Bernie fans to immediately write him off as a corporate sellout and pretend to have never supported him?

Superdelegates, DNC members, are still stupid? News at 11.
Angie Craig for DNC Chair

She won't even have to give up her seat in Congress!

o5cbcy.gif

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If Ellison doesn't get it, as seems likely, I hope they start moving him into House leadership to maybe take over for Pelosi. He's really good and it seems like a waste to just keep him as some congressman.

I think that would be great to have him in the house leadership since he is already there. But how safe is his district?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That is the difference.

I think that would be great to have him in the house leadership since he is already there. But how safe is his district?
Really safe, though it's not like we've prioritized leadership in safe states before. The Speaker for the years Clinton had the House was from Western Washington which is pretty red. Daschle was from South Dakota. Reid was from a swing state. I don't think seat safety is much of a factor.

kaskade

Ok, so either of them are pretty much fine. I'm guessing the super progressive bernie supporters don't like perez for not endorsing him.

kirblar

Ellison's not showing he's capable of keeping his troops in line, which is basically THE job of the House leader. House leadership is all inwardly focused - its not where you put your hype men/rabblerousers.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If fits with your DINO persona.

Why do I get no appreciation for funding all the special programs you democrats like, like testing evian vs. fiji water on tree frogs, PBS broadcasting finger painting using imaginary colors sung by opera singers, and the Brooklyn Academy of Muzak?

Really safe, though it's not like we've prioritized leadership in safe states before. The Speaker for the years Clinton had the House was from Western Washington which is pretty red. Daschle was from South Dakota. Reid was from a swing state. I don't think seat safety is much of a factor.
I feel like we should certainly consider it more than we have been. Daschle losing was embarrassing and then Reid gave us heartburn just six years later.

That's why I was fine with Schumer or Durbin (at least in this regard, Durbin was my preference overall) because neither of them will ever be at significant risk of losing their seats unless IL and NY suddenly lurch 20 points right.

Why do I get no appreciation for funding all the special programs you democrats like, like testing evian vs. fiji water on tree frogs, PBS broadcasting finger painting using imaginary colors sung by opera singers, and the Brooklyn Academy of Muzak?
I thought that was the reason you were mod for all your contributions to the key issues on the progressive agenda :p

I feel like we should certainly consider it more than we have been. Daschle losing was embarrassing and then Reid gave us heartburn just six years later.

That's why I was fine with Schumer or Durbin (at least in this regard, Durbin was my preference overall) because neither of them will ever be at significant risk of losing their seats unless IL and NY suddenly lurch 20 points right.
Maybe, I'm too young to actually have been around for Daschle losing or anything. Though if he'd gotten those extra 4k votes or whatever we'd probably be way better off. Ugh.

thefro

If mayor Pete is as awesome as his hype squad makes it out to be he would be wasted at the DNC :p
It's not a typical step stool to higher office.

He's more than doubled his follower count & majorly raised his profile, so I think his campaign was a huge success. Won't have trouble raising money/getting media attention.

Maybe, I'm too young to actually have been around for Daschle losing or anything. Though if he'd gotten those extra 4k votes or whatever we'd probably be way better off. Ugh.
Eh, he almost certainly would have lost in 2010. Although I guess we would have had 61 votes in the Senate through Obama's first two years then at least, which probably would have let us squeeze out one more big reform bill akin to ACA or Dodd-Frank. Or we might not have needed to compromise on the Bush tax cuts.

(This assuming there wouldn't have been a ripple effect in other races, I can't imagine that many people take the current majority margin into consideration)

Eh, he almost certainly would have lost in 2010. Although I guess we would have had 61 votes in the Senate through Obama's first two years then at least, which probably would have let us squeeze out one more big reform bill akin to ACA or Dodd-Frank. Or we might not have needed to compromise on the Bush tax cuts.
Oh yeah he'd definitely have been crushed in 2010, I just mean having the extra vote means the drama around Kennedy and Franken and Lieberman would have been less relevant since it was always on the knife's edge. It also would've been nice to have a single payer advocate in the leadership when trying to pass a big healthcare bill. Oh well.

Oh yeah he'd definitely have been crushed in 2010, I just mean having the extra vote means the drama around Kennedy and Franken and Lieberman would have been less relevant since it was always on the knife's edge. It also would've been nice to have a single payer advocate in the leadership when trying to pass a big healthcare bill. Oh well.
Yeah, wonder if Lieberman's position would have been less relevant then. I feel like him coming out against the public option gave Lincoln and Nelson cover to also oppose it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what a booty jug is, but it must rank pretty high on the all-time sex toy list to get that kind of applause.

Perez nomination was a petty move from the very beginning. Makes you wonder which group is actually trying to relitigate the primary.
If you really want to take that stance, you don't have to fall for it or whatever. Takes two to tango and all that--no one forces you to dance along and have your strings manipulated or whatever but you yourself.

Holmes

Thing is he blew such a big lead and the whole Pete endorsement was such a stupid move that they had to end Dean's actual endorsement with (this is real). I don't think if he loses it would be such a bad thing considering how incompetent he seems.

anyway now it's time for people to pretend to care about this for a week before we move onto the next clear and present (almost entirely internet-centered) excuse to avoid actually doing any partybuilding outrage against The Left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom