• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
In what reasonable context could anyone claim FOIA as a negative?
Lets Republicans and other vile cretins like reporters request documents they shouldn't have access to like e-mails of the Secretary of State or fake award-winning employees that work for the EPA.

Although, amusingly, CREW (whose FOIA request originally led to uncovering Hillary's private server) is a progressive group.

EDIT: https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...301168-e162-11e5-846c-10191d1fc4ec_story.html
In December 2012, near the end of Clinton's tenure, a nonprofit group called Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, or CREW, filed a FOIA request seeking records about her email. CREW received a response in May 2013: ”no records responsive to your request were located."

Other requests for Clinton records met the same fate — until the State Department received a demand from the newly formed House Select Committee on Benghazi in July 2014. The committee wanted Clinton's email, among other things, to see what she and others knew about the deadly attack in Libya and the response by the U.S. government.

Officials in the department's congressional affairs office found some Clinton email and saw that she had relied on the private domain, not the department's system.
On May 19, 2015, in response to a FOIA lawsuit from the media organization Vice News, U.S. District Judge Rudolph Contreras ordered all the email to be released in stages, with re­dactions.

So, I attended Cotton's town hall last week and was eager to see Boozman get the same treatment on Friday during his town hall... but then he went chickenshit by cancelling it and holding a "telephone town hall" this evening instead. I listened to it... biggest waste of one and a half hours I've had in awhile. Didn't even get to ask a question.

Anyway, I had a couple thoughts during the town hall that I feel like are obvious, but I don't hear them brought up often. I was wondering if any of you know if these are common arguments, and if not, if there's an obvious reason or counterargument the GOP uses.

1) Republicans talk a lot about tax cuts aimed at "job creators"... but if this was their genuine goal, why aren't these cuts instead distributed as tax credits for actually creating jobs? As in, you don't get the tax credit unless you create a job, and the amount you receive scales with the number or significance of jobs created.

2) Republicans claim gun-free zones are actually unsafe, and Trump himself wants to abolish gun-free zones across the country. If they genuinely believe this... why is Congress a gun-free zone? How come when I attend Tom Cotton's town hall... it's a gun-free event? Why don't they introduce legislation to abolish the gun-free zones specifically protecting them?

This latter point matters a lot to me because Arkansas is advancing a bill that would force the University of Arkansas (where I work) to allow firearms on campus, even though the school itself has consistently voted against this.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I mean i post in here semi-regularly and given the current climate someone like Benji being serious is a total possibility. Not sure thats the best way to operate in these times.

To Betsy DeVos, HBCUs are proof that school choice works.

Ankit Panda‏ @nktpnd 17 minutes ago
Wowwowwow. These paragraphs are from a real, official US Department of Education statement from Betsy DeVos released today.

C5uU1cZUwAAOEdk.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Oh hey "obamas people" behind the leaks. *roll eyes*
That's why you guys were checking staffers phones. To see if they had added Barack on Snapchat.

1) Republicans talk a lot about tax cuts aimed at "job creators"... but if this was their genuine goal, why aren't these cuts instead distributed as tax credits for actually creating jobs? As in, you don't get the tax credit unless you create a job, and the amount you receive scales with the number or significance of jobs created.
The idea is supposed to be that by taxes being lower that companies will invest in areas that are more profitable to them and in doing so create jobs just by virtue of the investment.

In reality this sort of works at the local and state levels and is worthless at the national level. An area lowering its taxes to make a "business friendly" climate probably won't pull in good jobs (my state, Idaho, brags about its conservative business-friendly policies making it a big job creating state but most of these are minimum wage jobs) because there's a million other places willing to cut you the same deal because of our relatively competitive federalism. What does "work" though is when businesses that want special tax cuts threaten capital flight on areas that economically depend on the capital to stay alive, they usually get their way. Boeing and Washington State are a good example of this, Washington wants the factories to stay in because a lot of people depend on them for jobs but Boeing wants to make more money so they threaten to leave if they don't get their special tax cut. The Carrier deal in Indiana was the same way.

This doesn't work on a national level because it businesses aren't really leaving or staying in the US based on tax policy afaik. Capital will leave if it's more profitable to leave and it will stay if it's more profitable to stay. Government, through taxes, can also create good jobs through public services anyways so it's not like all money taken through taxes are then just pissed into the wind.

2) Republicans claim gun-free zones are actually unsafe, and Trump himself wants to abolish gun-free zones across the country. If they genuinely believe this... why is Congress a gun-free zone? How come when I attend Tom Cotton's town hall... it's a gun-free event? Why don't they introduce legislation to abolish the gun-free zones specifically protecting them?
I relate to this because my state did the same thing. There's no reason and they probably don't believe it, it's just an easy way to score points with the base without giving them anything meaningful.

Aylinato

I can't stop laughing right now.

Benji gone n' done it again.

How do y'all read that post and not think it's a joke? rofl

--------
when is benji gonna start indoctrinating kids in a history class?

Take benji seriously. Not literally.

Satire has become reality with this administration, and I've seen worse in the real world then benji's troll. It also wasn't creative, as this political climate he would have to go to an extreme just to be parody.

You must also consider that it is no longer a time for satire. A time for mockery is at hand, sure, but not satire. Satire is best used when the threat of extremism isn't at the doorsteps of democracy knocking saying "let's become a dictatorship." It's time to take it seriously and mock the trumpster fire.

So, I attended Cotton's town hall last week and was eager to see Boozman get the same treatment on Friday during his town hall... but then he went chickenshit by cancelling it and holding a "telephone town hall" this evening instead. I listened to it... biggest waste of one and a half hours I've had in awhile. Didn't even get to ask a question.

Anyway, I had a couple thoughts during the town hall that I feel like are obvious, but I don't hear them brought up often. I was wondering if any of you know if these are common arguments, and if not, if there's an obvious reason or counterargument the GOP uses.

This latter point matters a lot to me because Arkansas is advancing a bill that would force the University of Arkansas (where I work) to allow firearms on campus, even though the school itself has consistently voted against this.

The second one is just a gotcha question that they'll dodge every time, though it's good for embarrassing them in these town halls (similar to the Cotton one where the woman asked him what his insurance was).

The first is a good point, and I suspect their best deflection would something like "That just means more gov't involved in private business" or some other nonsense. The real answer is that these tax cuts favor short term employment contracts (open a plant, take the tax break, then automate as soon as the tax break expires and lay everyone off), which the GOP is super fine with. It's how it rolls just south of you here in Mississippi, at least. I suspect our new billion-dollar holes in the ground (AKA Toyota and Nissan plants) will be totally automated in about 5 years, around when their tax cuts are to be phased out.

benjipwns

Banned
Satire has become reality with this administration, and I've seen worse in the real world then benji's troll. It also wasn't creative, as this political climate he would have to go to an extreme just to be parody.

You must also consider that it is no longer a time for satire. A time for mockery is at hand, sure, but not satire. Satire is best used when the threat of extremism isn't at the doorsteps of democracy knocking saying "let's become a dictatorship." It's time to take it seriously and mock the trumpster fire.
It's okay because it was mockery. It's always mockery.

And while we're on the subject, it's usually being facetious, not sarcasm. There's a difference.

The thing is they already get a tax credit for creating a job, it's an expense.

Cutting business taxes also work in a way to discourage reinvestment. It's all kinda dumb.

My favorite benji memory is when some poster started chasing him down in multiple different threads calling him out for "forgetting to log onto an alt" when benji replied to himself (as he often does)

benjipwns

Banned
My favorite benji memory is when some poster started chasing him down in multiple different threads calling him out for "forgetting to log onto an alt" when benji replied to himself (as he often does)
Even better is some other dude said something like "if benji isn't greyed out in 24 hours i'm contacting the admins" and he technically got his wish, just the ban had nothing to do with any of that.

Thanks for the answers!

And on the "job creator" front... it seems like the answers are normally in the context of businesses, which is an argument I'm going to set aside. What is weird to me about the "job creator" argument specifically is when it comes to individuals.

Unless you are an angel investor with your own personal funds, or you just hire a bunch of caretakers or something... people don't really create jobs with their own personal money, right? Even as the owner of a business, you hire employees through the business, yes?

It seems like such a minority of wealthy people would put their personal tax cuts towards actual job creation, which is why I thought an explicit tax credit (or something similar) would more explicitly incentivize the behavior we're trying to encourage.

Well, Cuomo's (probably) going to run.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/andrew-cuomo-new-york-2020-235403?cmpid=sf

Cuomo also isn’t explicitly attacking Donald Trump, in contrast to other Democratic officials. The governor didn’t name the president during a Wednesday health care rally and on Thursday declined to blame Trump for an uptick in anti-Semitic incidents. In six State of the State speeches last month, Cuomo never mentioned Trump by name.

Hank Sheinkopf, a veteran political consultant who advised the governor’s 2014 re-election, explained this calibration.

“Who else is talking to the middle? Everyone else is at the extremes,” he said. “If you look at where Trump won, whites in the Midwest put Trump in the White House. Cuomo may be the guy who can change that. Why? The very things Trump alluded to, Cuomo has actually done. He can make an argument that will be accepted by people who are more like him than not.”

I can't imagine that'll end in anything other than a disaster by Nevada, but hey, whatever.

Thanks for the answers!

And on the "job creator" front... it seems like the answers are normally in the context of businesses, which is an argument I'm going to set aside. What is weird to me about the "job creator" argument specifically is when it comes to individuals.

Unless you are an angel investor with your own personal funds, or you just hire a bunch of caretakers or something... people don't really create jobs with their own personal money, right? Even as the owner of a business, you hire employees through the business, yes?

It seems like such a minority of wealthy people would put their personal tax cuts towards actual job creation, which is why I thought an explicit tax credit (or something similar) would more explicitly incentivize the behavior we're trying to encourage.
The idea is supposed to be that by giving more money to businesses, they'll invest that money and in doing so expand their business and hire new people to go along with it. They're not necessarily supposed to be angels, they're just Captains of Industry boldly building this country through their own sheer entrepreneurial spirit.

It's bad and it doesn't work but that's sort of the whole idea of supply-side/trickle-down/voodoo economics.

Well, Cuomo's (probably) going to run.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/andrew-cuomo-new-york-2020-235403?cmpid=sf

I can't imagine that'll end in anything other than a disaster by Nevada, but hey, whatever.
It's sort of a shame that he's a snake because his father would've been much better. His 1984 DNC speech is sooooo good.

Ok first of all the Midwest cannot win you a dem primary. Second of all the dem base who will show up for these Midwest caucus states wants you to attack Trump. Cuomo is told smart to waste his time in 2020

benjipwns

Banned
I've always wondered why they go out of the way to call this first speech to Congress by the President not a State of the Union speech.

Article II said:
He shall from time to time give to Congress information of the State of the Union and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.

It doesn't say you can't give more than one a year or anything. Or even that you have had to be President.

In years when a new president is inaugurated, the outgoing president may deliver a final State of the Union message, but none has done so since Jimmy Carter sent a written message in 1981. In 1953 and 1961, Congress received both a written State of the Union message from the outgoing president and a separate State of the Union speech by the incoming president. Since 1989, in recognition that the responsibility of reporting the State of the Union formally belongs to the president who held office during the past year, newly inaugurated Presidents have not officially called their first speech before Congress a "State of the Union" message.
But it doesn't formally belong to them.

insert standard complaint about giving speech in person rather than written, blaming racist tyrant Wilson, the grotesque nonsense of the whole affair, etc. etc.

Now slamming the door in the President's face until he has a Black Rod equivalent knock to gain entrance might get my attention.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/27/politics/tom-udall-gorsuch-garland-scotus-plan/
Sen. Tom Udall has an idea that could place both Judge Neil Gorsuch and Judge Merrick Garland on the Supreme Court at the same time.

The Democrat from New Mexico presented the plan Monday morning to Gorsuch, President Donald Trump's nominee for the Supreme Court, as well as to Gorsuch's team of White House aides and former Sen. Kelly Ayotte, who's been attending Gorsuch's meetings with senators.

His proposal is for Trump to meet privately with Supreme Court justices who are interested in retirement. If one of those justices decided they would be willing to retire, and if Trump promises to nominate Garland, President Barack Obama's unconfirmed former SCOTUS pick, in their place, then the retiring justice would submit a letter of resignation contingent on that promise.

Then, both Garland and Gorsuch would be voted on simultaneously.

It's a far-fetched idea, and Udall told reporters he got no response or comment from Gorsuch's team in the room. But he added that he's been talking to other senators about it.

A spokesman from Gorsuch's team did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The idea closely follows a plot line from an episode of "The West Wing" television show. In season 5, episode 17, "The Supremes," a spot on the Supreme Court opens up and the White House works out a deal with another justice to retire so they can replace him with both a liberal justice while Republicans can get their pick of a more conservative justice.

mo60

That is never going to happen under the trump administration even though I do think this is a good idea to make democrats happy after what happened to Garland in 2016.

When I first started posting here I thought he was some crazy anarcho-communist who was so far outside of any known political ideology that he could never be banned because nobody ever knew what the hell he meant. I soon learned one of those wasn't entirely accurate.

I'm...ok with this?

It's not like Gorsuch is worse than Thomas.

That is never going to happen under the trump administration even though I do think this is a good idea to make democrats happy after what happened to Garland in 2016.

It's totally a pipe dream but it's not a terrible throwaway pass by Udall. Trump's whole shtick is that he's the freakin' Dealmaker and even though he totally won't take it I think it will be great referencing for Dem's filibustering Gorsuch for as long as possible if they actually have the stones.

"We tried to deal, but he's not here to fix Washington with bipartisanship he's just an ideologue."

Would hurt his whole "not the usual politician" BS for 2020. At least with some independents who just bought into the "outsider" nonsense. (The people who went from Bernie to Trump).

kirblar

did we learn if RoguePOTUSStaff is real or just cathartic fantasy
Got exposed as complete and total bullshit multiple times.

The first takedown was someone with a background in language pointing out that they were making tons of bizarre misspellings that indicated their native language was Cyrillic (aka they're fucking Russian)

Haha why would Trump give up the possibility of nominating another justice

Because Bannon and Reince will both be screaming "no" into each of his ears.

Got exposed as complete and total bullshit multiple times.

The first takedown was someone with a background in language pointing out that they were making tons of bizarre misspellings that indicated their native language was Cyrillic (aka they're fucking Russian)

That's a really fucking awesome way to expose a fraud.

Kind of gives me hope that no matter how terribly ideological or government controlled the media may get there will be ways to find the truth.

benjipwns

Banned
that he could never be banned because nobody ever knew what the hell he meant.
the opposite of this is i assume why i do and don't get banned nowdays despite adhering to Goldwater's incendiary aphorism perpendicular to the standard alignment of the forum to the utter disbelief and eventual madness of some

enough of the current moderators can tell exactly when i'm slipped over into continued provoking for provocations sake versus my entirely consistent and coherent radical views

except for the case of Steve Youngblood, he's just afraid i'll finally reveal the whole truth and people will see it before he or his cronies can cover it up yet again

kirblar

That's a really fucking awesome way to expose a fraud.

Kind of gives me hope that no matter how terribly ideological or government controlled the media may get there will be ways to find the truth.
Yeah, the complaint from fake news posters is that the it isn't as effective on the left (as a whole) because someone always fact checks and ruins the party.

Catching the "-esk" instead of "-esque" and "Vakay" instead of "Vacay" pattern was impressive.

Sibylus

Banned
That's the most insidey of inside jokes involving kinetic impactors I've ever heard. Why moon rocks? Kicking them into the Earth's gravity well???

What would be the tactical advantage of having something that imitates the impact of a nuclear arsenal by at 10 billion times the cost for maintenance.

I mean, MAD would still apply and now you just have more basically nukes and you are throwing away billions and billions of dollars more than you have to.

And it would take a lot longer for your nukes to hit America then it would be for our nukes to hit you.

Since every country is a lot closer to America than America is to the moon.

benjipwns

Banned
There were those of us who fought against it, but in the end we could not keep up with the expense involved in the arms race, the space race, and the peace race. At the same time our people grumbled for more nylons and washing machines. Our doomsday scheme cost us just a small fraction of what we had been spending on defense in a single year. The deciding factor was when we learned that your country was working along similar lines, and we were afraid of a doomsday gap.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What would be the tactical advantage of having something that imitates the impact of a nuclear arsenal by at 10 billion times the cost for maintenance.

I mean, MAD would still apply and now you just have more basically nukes and you are throwing away billions and billions of dollars more than you have to.

And it would take a lot longer for your nukes to hit America then it would be for our nukes to hit you.

Since every country is a lot closer to America than America is to the moon.

In fairness, that tweet was in the context of SpaceX and I guess Elon Musk turning into the villain from Moonraker? Something about the dangers of the privatization of space.

In fairness, that tweet was in the context of SpaceX and I guess Elon Musk turning into the villain from Moonraker? Something about the dangers of the privatization of space.

But an example of a thing that would make no sense for any agent to do is very odd...

Like if a private individual tried to build a space weapon that imitated nukes, we would clearly assassinate them and everyone involved with the effort.

And it makes no sense for a country as I detailed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom