• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would that even be possible? Math especially is cumulative. All career paths can't be available once you start college, because you need that foundational math knowledge before you get to college.

Right, you should have that background. Right now in the US, algebra 1 is the last math class you need to graduate high school; that's abysmal. Any major should be open to any freshman, but that's not the case with STEM. If you didn't get upper math in high school, you literally won't be able to get a STEM degree (unless you take at least a year to take classes to catch yourself up, but here, those catch up classes don't even count towards your degree. Still costs full tuition to take them though!)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds like a functional government

Although doesn't asking about damaging information imply that damaging information exists?
I assume they mean things like "Preibus on the ropes, about to be fired" trying to figure out who told the reporter regardless of if it is true.

That seems useless, why would reporters give up their sources?
I like to imagine the reporters straight up laughing in their face over the phone at the request.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Right, you should have that background. Right now in the US, algebra 1 is the last math class you need to graduate high school; that's abysmal. Any major should be open to any freshman, but that's not the case with STEM. If you didn't get upper math in high school, you literally won't be able to get a STEM degree (unless you take at least a year to take classes to catch yourself up, but here, those catch up classes don't even count towards your degree. Still costs full tuition to take them though!)

This is false. I've been teaching high school math for nearly a decade, and many states require a minimum of Algebra 2. It may be disguised as "three years of high school math," but most high schools won't accept less than Algebra 2 in these cases.

Slacker

Would be nice to see moderate Republicans and Democrats to team up. I wonder how many there are in each party.

Wonder no more:

Moderate Republicans: zero.
Moderate Democrats: almost all of them.

Working with Republicans on almost anything is pointless. The healthcare debacle proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This Nunes thing is crazy. A bizarre story to begin with, and now it gets weirder. It seems pretty obvious the White House was in on this whole thing from the beginning.

Huh? I'm pretty sure you have to do Geometry and Algebra 2.

NeoXChaos

This is false. I've been teaching high school math for nearly a decade, and many states require a minimum of Algebra 2. It may be disguised as "three years of high school math," but most high schools won't accept less than Algebra 2 in these cases.

what maths do high school normally take?

we had Geometry, Algebra 1 and 2 but I recall some middle schools teaching Algebra 1.

Wonder no more:

Moderate Republicans: zero.
Moderate Democrats: almost all of them.

Working with Republicans on almost anything is pointless. The healthcare debacle proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I won't say moderate republicans are ZERO per se, but republicans are a lot more vulnerable to being primaried than democrats are, since their "extreme" wing is wildly overrepresented in the primaries (it's all tea partiers and Christian fundamentalists) and there is no equivalent to "club for growth" willing to throw wads of cash to oppose republicans who aren't conservative enough.

Otherwise moderate republicans are therefore scared to death of taking anything that could be construed as a liberal position, lest they be run out of town on a rail.

Surfinn

This Nunes thing is crazy. A bizarre story to begin with, and now it gets weirder. It seems pretty obvious the White House was in on this whole thing from the beginning.

Can we bank on Nunes/Manafort/Flynn eventually flipping? They seem dead to rights.

Plinko

we had Geometry, Algebra 1 and 2 but I recall some middle schools teaching Algebra 1.

Minimum in many states is Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2. Higher-level math is starting to trickle down into middle schools, so Algebra 1 is picking up popularity as an 8th-grade course (and in some rare cases, 7th grade), but for the most part is the expected freshman year course in most high schools.

The problem I am finding as a HS teacher is that math teaching in elementary schools is somehow getting worse. I can't put my finger on why--what was said earlier about students running for their calculator for simple math is true and a real problem. I have students entering my freshmen classes swearing up and down that they never had to do times tables in elementary school. I hear constant calls for increasing STEM focus, but it won't happen if lower-level math keeps at this pace. It is incredibly difficult to help students overcome this problem because they've done it for so long. Even 3-4 years of high school math isn't enough to break some of these students of those bad habits.

Wilsongt

Depends. Basic requirements are Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and Geometry. At least at my schools. We were a fairly poor high school, though. A majority african american that the district didn't care much for.

Advanced students went Geometry, Algebra 2, PreCalc and Trig, and then maybe Calculus AP.

I have no concept of what is or isn't required to graduate because I went to private school. So for me to graduate I was required to take 4 years of religion studies, so not really comparable.

By all accounts regarding my upbringing you'd assume I was a Conservative. Guess I dodged a bullet there

Middle class white kid who went to Catholic private school his entire life, made the right choices in my life, worked hard through school and the start of my career, leading to where I am today with a steady job and a house I own before I even hit 30. If that isn't the recipe for building a Conservative, I don't know what is.

Of course that's ignoring that we weren't upper middle class because only my dad worked and so his upper middle class income was barely enough to scrape by while paying for private school, I grew up in the middle of the city surrounded by people of all races and colors and nobody in my family is religious at all.

I have an urge to spend time learning calculus online now to get over a lingering insecurity I have. I completely bombed it in college and took statistics instead but I always felt defeated thinking about that class.

Wilsongt

I have no concept of what is or isn't required to graduate because I went to private school. So for me to graduate I was required to take 4 years of religion studies, so not really comparable.

By all accounts regarding my upbringing you'd assume I was a Conservative. Guess I dodged a bullet there

Middle class white kid who went to Catholic private school his entire life, made the right choices in my life, worked hard through school and the start of my career, leading to where I am today with a steady job and a house I own before I even hit 30. If that isn't the recipe for building a Conservative, I don't know what is.

Of course that's ignoring that we weren't upper middle class because only my dad worked and so his upper middle class income was barely enough to scrape by while paying for private school, I grew up in the middle of the city surrounded by people of all races and colors and nobody in my family is religious at all.

I had the option to go to catholic high school. I refused. After 3 years in a private middle school with upper class white kids who felt I was inferior for whatever reason and insisted on bullying me, I was over it.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of those kids grew up to be Republicans and Trump supporters

Tax reform is dead. Without the millions saved from axing Medicaid in the AHCA bill, trumps Tax Reform violates the Byrd rule and reconciliation can't be used to pass it.

That means it has a 60 vote threshold instead of 51, and there are no democrats that will back that kind of bill.
Are you sure about that? I thought they had more flexibility with tax stuff than you are saying, only that the reconciliation process requires that the tax cuts to sunset after ten years.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Nunes Had Secret White House Meeting Before Trump Monitoring Claim

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...claim-white-house-n738906?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

The day before he announced to reporters that Donald Trump may have been incidentally monitored by U.S. intelligence agencies during the transition, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes met with the source of that information at the White House, a Nunes spokesman told NBC News.

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

I have an urge to spend time learning calculus online now to get over a lingering insecurity I have. I completely bombed it in college and took statistics instead but I always felt defeated thinking about that class.
To be fair, stats is likely way more useful for the average person to understand the world than calculus is. Have you tried looking at the Khan Academy calc stuff? It might relieve that insecurity to do it as a hobby, like crossword puzzles, rather than in a graded way.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...claim-white-house-n738906?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

The day before he announced to reporters that Donald Trump may have been incidentally monitored by U.S. intelligence agencies during the transition, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes met with the source of that information at the White House, a Nunes spokesman told NBC News.

Seriously? Oh come on, at least try and hide it!

I feel somewhat vindicated.

Vestal

Did they learn nothing from Watergate. What fucked Nixon was the cover-up. Morons.

DonShula

So Devin Nunes told Jake Tapper he was at the White House the day before he announced the vindicating wire tapping info.

Can this be any more transparent? The White House gave him the intel and then they put on the disaster of a show and Nunes seems ready to squeal.

I'm trying to follow the logic.

House intel committee holds the hearing in which Comey says 1) we're investigating the administration/campaign, and 2) we've seen nothing to back up the Tweets. Fine. Nunes is legit scared after the meeting and denies knowing Carter Page and Roger Stone. Weird. Trump presumably gets mad that he looks like a fool and drags Nunes in for a visit. A day later, Nunes makes an ass of himself by saying he's seen some "stuff" that was legally gathered but kinda vindicates Trump. House Intel Committee balks at Nunes and says the need an independent investigation.

So why is Nunes going along with this? If he's implicated, he's knows he's already toast. Surely he's not dumb enough to think this will blow over. So why is he dancing like a puppet for the president?

Edit: got the AP alert as I posted this. He really is just a moron isn't he?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

House intel committee holds the hearing in which Comey says 1) we're investigating the administration/campaign, and 2) we've seen nothing to back up the Tweets. Fine. Nunes is legit scared after the meeting and denies knowing Carter Page and Roger Stone. Weird. Trump presumably gets mad that he looks like a fool and drags Nunes in for a visit. A day later, Nunes makes an ass of himself by saying he's seen some "stuff" that was legally gathered but kinda vindicates Trump. House Intel Committee balks at Nunes and says the need an independent investigation.

So why is Nunes going along with this? If he's implicated, he's knows he's already toast. Surely he's not dumb enough to think this will blow over. So why is he dancing like a puppet for the president?

Hopefully it blows over probably. We don't know what he told Trump the other day. Right after everyone said they will testify. Oddly enough that gets me a little worried. They have to know something and that is why they are openly saying to do so.

Wait wait, didn't Trump week before last say there was some stuff going to come out showing that he was right? Could be his verbal garbage but also that they were getting Nunes stuff?

So when Nunes goes to slammer, is his district a possible pickup?

R+9.5, it would be tough, but it's doable if Trump is at 35% approval in 2018 and Nunes goes to prison in 2018.

But Nunes I don't think will go to prison.

What is Paul Ryan's district right now? I think Ryan will resign from Congress prior to 2018 and that race could be more interesting. It was R+1 a couple of years ago, but I don't know what the 2016 presidential results were.

To be fair, stats is likely way more useful for the average person to understand the world than calculus is. Have you tried looking at the Khan Academy calc stuff? It might relieve that insecurity to do it as a hobby, like crossword puzzles, rather than in a graded way.

I was just looking into doing that haha! Thanks. That's how I'm going to approach it. Just get into a few of the courses and challenge myself to solve some problems.

Plinko

I'm pretty sure I had to take Trig in highschool.

Most high schools have trigonometry intertwined with Geometry, Algebra 2, and Precalculus so they don't have to offer it as a stand-alone. Did you go to a big school district?

Edit: got the AP alert as I posted this. He really is just a moron isn't he?
The best answer from everyone is, Nunes is really not the brightest bulb. He is in way over his head and is being used as a chesspiece by Bannon. They picked him to quietly stonewall/squash the story. When Comey announced that Trump Admin is directly under FBI investigarion in no uncertain terms, he panicked. What I think happened was that Bannon/White House are trying to torpedo the investigation by making Nunes a fall guy because they know he was in the meeting with the Turks. He was "invited", fed non-information which he then regurgitated to Trump like a good schoolboy. Now everyone's asking for his head. Dude played himself.

So Devin Nunes told Jake Tapper he was at the White House the day before he announced the vindicating wire tapping info.

Can this be any more transparent? The White House gave him the intel and then they put on the disaster of a show and Nunes seems ready to squeal.

No see he got the information at the White House but not from the White House. Perfectly clear.

@AlexNBCNews
Comment from Chairman Nunes' spox about his whereabouts the day before his announcement Trump/associates may be swept up in surveillance

C77nPwCXkAAqCNa.jpg

Chaser:
@matthewamiller
Matthew Miller Retweeted Jake Tapper
"I was on the White House grounds but no one from the White House knew I was there" is an interesting defense. Did he jump a fence?

Wilsongt

*cough cough cough cough puffs on inhaler* so much damn smoke

DonShula

Hopefully it blows over probably. We don't know what he told Trump the other day. Right after everyone said they will testify. Oddly enough that gets me a little worried. They have to know something and that is why they are openly saying to do so.

That is worrisome, and maybe why we keep hearing that Comey has read in the Senate committee on things the House hasn't heard?

Plinko

The best answer from everyone is, Nunes is really not the brightest bulb. He is in way over his head and is being used as a chesspiece by Bannon. They picked him to quietly stonewall/squash the story. When Comey announced that Trump Admin is directly under FBI investigarion in no uncertain terms, he panicked. What I think happened was that Bannon/White House are trying to torpedo the investigation by making Nunes a fall guy because they know he was in the meeting with the Turks. He was "invited", fed non-information which he then regurgitated to Trump like a good schoolboy. Now everyone's asking for his head. Dude played himself.

I am on board with this being a likely scenario.

Tax reform is dead. Without the millions saved from axing Medicaid in the AHCA bill, trumps Tax Reform violates the Byrd rule and reconciliation can't be used to pass it.

That means it has a 60 vote threshold instead of 51, and there are no democrats that will back that kind of bill.

There's a path to get it done with democrat help though. The problem is that Ryan won't take it. Trump on the other hand? I'm not saying it'll get done...seems pretty clear this WH is a joke.

They can't do comprehensive tax reform of the entire system...but they can get a corporate tax cut and perhaps broader tax cuts depending on what they're willing to trade.

Plinko

There's a path to get it done with democrat help though. The problem is that Ryan won't take it. Trump on the other hand? I'm not saying it'll get done...seems pretty clear this WH is a joke.

They can't do comprehensive tax reform of the entire system...but they can get a corporate tax cut and perhaps broader tax cuts depending on what they're willing to trade.

And this is the route I expect them to go. Might take them awhile, but my guess is here is where it is headed.

I was just looking into doing that haha! Thanks. That's how I'm going to approach it. Just get into a few of the courses and challenge myself to solve some problems.
I took two calc classes in high school and college, and the feeling of satisfaction I got from solving a problem there was basically identical to the one I get from crossword puzzles, sudoku, and cracking a hard map in Advance Wars. Some things are better without the pressure to succeed/fail that the classroom imposes.

Plinko

And then the FC says "okay, do the tax cuts, but it needs to be offset by cutting Medicare" and we're back to square one

Not if they get enough democrats onboard with a trade of sorts, as Cesare mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom