• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wapo buried the lede on this story a bit:

Chairman and partisan: The dual roles of Devin Nunes raise questions about House investigation

Sandwiched between the story of Nunes ditching his staff in an Uber and disappearing and talk from Democrats about how they don;t trust him was this tidbit:

WaPo said:
To review classified files without breaking the law, Nunes would have needed to do so at a secure facility. Congressional officials said that the director of National Intelligence, the FBI and National Security Agency had all indicated that they got no late-night visit from Nunes, a trip that probably would have been entered in security logs.

So if he didn't get it in a SCIF, then he either:

Got it illegally
Got it from the White House
It doesn't fucking exist

I'm leaning towards the last option right now. Nunes' description of the material is incredibly vague and he refuses to show it to anyone else.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
“We should have excellence in government,” Kushner said Sunday in an interview in his West Wing office. “The government should be run like a great American company. Our hope is that we can achieve successes and efficiencies for our customers, who are the citizens.”
Starting off poorly by thinking of citizens as customers instead of shareholders. He just spilled the beans.

Kushner’s ambitions for what the new office can achieve are grand. At least to start, the team plans to focus its attention on reimagining Veterans Affairs; modernizing the technology and data infrastructure of every federal department and agency; remodeling workforce-training programs; and developing “transformative projects” under the banner of Trump’s $1 trillion infrastructure plan, such as providing broadband Internet service to every American.

In some cases, the office could direct that government functions be privatized, or that existing contracts be awarded to new bidders.
Kushner will be in charge of funneling our tax dollars to private industry. Got it.

The office will also focus on combating opioid abuse, a regular emphasis for Trump on the campaign trail. The president later this week plans to announce an official drug commission devoted to the problem that will be chaired by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R). He has been working informally on the issue for several weeks with Kushner, despite reported tension between the two.
And exactly what makes Chris Christie qualified to lead an effort to combat opioid abuse?

Crocodile

Saw this in OT, was it posted in here yet?

58ccfe3146.png

Especially funny in context of those ad that went up saying the ACA was repealed

It was the Flynn info. Its why he had to go in person.

I just can't get a read on Nunes. Is he really as in over his head as he seems? He has to know that SCIF logs would be checked when he claimed that he just received highly classified intel. Why would he structure his lie in such an easily destructible way?

And exactly what makes Chris Christie qualified to lead an effort to combat opioid abuse?

Well, the drugs have to cross bridges sometimes, right?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

So dumb this continues to be worn as some sort of badge of honour -

Kushner proudly notes that most of the members of his team have little-to-no political experience, hailing instead from the world of business.

Having no political experience means they will waste tons of time proposing things that can never be implemented or are otherwise deeply flawed from a practical, constitutional, and/or ethical standpoint.

I missed that Andrea Mitchell said her sources told her that Trump staff is purging their electronic devices fearing subpoenas.

Donald Trump's staff 'wiping their electronic devices' in anticipation of giving evidence
White House officials and members of Donald Trump’s transition team are reportedly “purging” their electronic devices to avoid being compromised by subpoenas, it has been claimed.

The accusation comes just weeks after government lawyers ordered the President’s aides to preserve any materials that could be connected to Russian interference in the 2016 election.

One legal expert told MSNBC - the channel that first reported the allegations based on testimony from an inside source - there could be “legal ramifications” for staff who destroyed crucial evidence relating to ongoing investigations.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I missed that Andrea Mitchell said her sources told her that Trump staff is purging their electronic devices fearing subpoenas.

Donald Trump's staff 'wiping their electronic devices' in anticipation of giving evidence

That is, quite possibly, the dumbest thing you could do. And something you wouldn't do unless you're trying to destroy evidence. The kind of people that do this are, for example, folks who commit a murder and clumsily attempt to cover it up like on Forensic Files or shit.

Bunch of junior staffers going to be in more trouble for deleting evidence than being caught with low grade evidence in the first place. Bunch of senior staffers too technically ignorant to properly cover their tracks.
But they're gonna find out the hard way that their phone carriers and ISPs will be able to retrieve their texts and emails when presented with a subpoena. Even if the texts/emails were innocuous, they will get fucked for failing to comply with preservation order. Amateurs.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
But they're gonna find out the hard way that their phone carriers and ISPs will be able to retrieve their texts and emails when presented with a subpoena. Even if the texts/emails were innocuous, they will get fucked for failing to comply with preservation order. Amateurs.

And don't forget the browsing history that they want to sell to the highest bidder, per policy proposals.

Bingo, I was just about to edit my post to add that. Their ISPs and carriers would be able to get this stuff anyways.

Teggy

I don't suppose there's a chance anything Seth Abramson is writing is true? Because his Mayflower hotel/Rosneft epic is amazingly detailed lol.

jtb

Banned
I don't suppose there's a chance anything Seth Abramson is writing is true? Because his Mayflower hotel/Rosneft epic is amazingly detailed lol.

The more detailed the conspiracy theory, the more certain you can be that it's unsourced bullshit. Throw him in the same idiot box whoring for attention as Louise Mensch and Eric Garland.

Blader

I just can't get a read on Nunes. Is he really as in over his head as he seems? He has to know that SCIF logs would be checked when he claimed that he just received highly classified intel. Why would he structure his lie in such an easily destructible way?

Because he's genuinely a moron.

Zips

Wasn't one of Trump's tactics for lawsuits in the past to go against preservation orders and delete everything? I seem to recall reading about him doing that before...

I hope the FBI are not able to be stopped by stuff like that. I'm sure Trump would rather (let his lackeys) take the fall for deleting records while lying about it, over getting caught with incriminating communications that could clinch a conviction for the Russia stuff.

Wasn't one of Trump's tactics for lawsuits in the past to go against preservation orders and delete everything? I seem to recall reading about him doing that before...

I hope the FBI are not able to be stopped by stuff like that. I'm sure Trump would rather (let his lackeys) take the fall for deleting records while lying about it, over getting caught with incriminating communications that could clinch a conviction for the Russia stuff.

The IC can subpoena ISPs for any deleted material. This isn't their first rodeo.

Also:

MI6 agent Chris STEELE, author of history's most explosive intel dossier, will soon testify against TRUMP.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/846135383129772032

It's almost like not only did Trump spend months shitting all over Clinton with various allegations, he then decided that if those (mostly false) allegations were done by her he could do even better. Hillary deleted e-mails 2 years after leaving the State Department? Well I'm gonna delete them while in office!@ Some people claimed Clinton Foundation was pay to play? I'm going to raise the cost of membership at Mar-a-Lago and spend every weekend there making it literally pay to play.

jtb

Banned
When Lovett took a shit on Garland before it was cool to shit on Garland, it confirmed my suspicions that he was the smartest of the Obama/PSA bros.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Odds are less than 0. He's a consummate bullshit artist. If he had anything one of the major papers he's written OPed's for in the past would publish it.

Isn't he that "experimental journalism" guy?

Yup. It'd be nice if what he was on about was true, but we literally have no reason to trust him. He lost all credibility in the election with his crap.

Yeah, I feel like Seth should be treated as a slightly more sane HA Goodman

He's just as insane as HA Goodman, Seth just has a better command of the English language.

jtb

Banned
tbh, the desperation to believe conspiracy theory-level bullshit is a little worrying for the future of the party. It's not healthy to just rely on Trump's incompetence for our own electoral gain.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I singled out and sourced some of the interesting facts from Seth's thread, minus the sensationalism. Make of them what you will:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232720538&postcount=38

This is how conspiracy theories work. You take a small fact and you use that as a base to explode out and give your wack-a-doo nonsense (I don't mean you, I mean Seth and other conspiracy theorists) a veneer of legitimacy.

Like, Area 51 is a real place that you can't get into but that doesn't mean aliens are being held there. And planes leave lines in the sky but that doesn't make them chemtrails. We're literally watching conspiracy theories be born in real time, right alongside actual reporting and for a lot of people they won't be able to tell the difference. That's not a good thing for if the hammer actually does come down on Trump, that will just make it harder to get everyone believing it's real. And god forbid it turns out he's actually innocent, it'll be worse than the JFK thing.

Slime

Banned
This is how conspiracy theories work. You take a small fact and you use that as a base to explode out and give your wack-a-doo nonsense (I don't mean you, I mean Seth and other conspiracy theorists) a veneer of legitimacy.

Like, Area 51 is a real place that you can't get into but that doesn't mean aliens are being held there. And planes leave lines in the sky but that doesn't make them chemtrails. We're literally watching conspiracy theories be born in real time, right alongside actual reporting and for a lot of people they won't be able to tell the difference. That's not a good thing for if the hammer actually does come down on Trump, that will just make it harder to get everyone believing it's real. And god forbid it turns out he's actually innocent, it'll be worse than the JFK thing.

Yeah, I know. With all the crazy shit going on it's just tempting to grab a magnifying glass and examine every detail and speculate about every meeting. It's easy to get carried away, though.

tbh, the desperation to believe conspiracy theory-level bullshit is a little worrying for the future of the party. It's not healthy to just rely on Trump's incompetence for our own electoral gain.
I am not directing this at anyone on here, but there are really just critical thinking skills that need improving in the country overall. People, on average, are not being critical of their news sources. This is true for both the left and the right, before and after the election (not saying that it is to the same degree, but the same problems are there).

Twitter is not a news source, unless the account in question is a news organization or reputable journalist making a definitive statement.

I really hope our educators are looking for ways to train students on effectively sifting through the news for the truth.

I was just thinking that I don't know anyone that goes in on left-leaning fake news or conspiracies and then immediately when I checked Facebook a middle aged public school teacher I know posted a link to a Bipartisan Report article saying that all 8 sitting SCOTUS Justices signed a unanimous letter opposing Gorsuch's confirmation.

Fuck.

wutwutwut

I was just thinking that I don't know anyone that goes in on left-leaning fake news or conspiracies and then immediately when I checked Facebook a middle aged public school teacher I know posted a link to a Bipartisan Report article saying that all 8 sitting SCOTUS Justices signed a unanimous letter opposing Gorsuch's confirmation.

Fuck.
I found the article. It's a remarkable leap of logic from a unanimous SCOTUS decision overturning a Gorsuch decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom