• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This whole Nunes thing confuses me.

If I am reading this correctly, he:

1) Visited a source at the White House to receive the information without telling his contemporaries on the committee
2) Walked right next door to give it to Trump
3) Held a news conference to try and make Trump look vindicated

To me, this looks like Trump and his team orchestrated the entire thing.

Why would the Democrats ever work to actually give Trump a win? Like 90% of Democrats absolutely hate Trump.

I don't know. Cesare just brought up how it could happen, and that's what I think republicans are going to try and do.

I mean, what if the planets align and they actually come up with some tax reform that is actually good for America? Should democrats refuse to help at that point? I don't think that's necessarily a good idea.

Ernest

Banned

What a piece of shit.

This account of White House infighting is based on interviews with more than two dozen Trump aides, confidants and others close to his administration, all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity. They described a distracting and toxic atmosphere, with warring power centers blaming one another for an ever-growing list of setbacks. The dysfunction has further paralyzed an administration struggling to deliver on its blunt promises of wholesale change.

The environment, many Trump aides are convinced, has been created by the president himself — a larger-than-life figure famously loath to admit error. As Trump’s health care plan ran into problems, he found ways to divert blame — sometimes turning on his own staff.

Guys, this moron is turning on his own fucking staff! These aren't people in a corporation who are doing work for bonuses. These are guys you rely on to have your back, and if you don't have theirs, they'll turn on you. How long can Trump keep going when he's making enemies out of the only pool of people that should be his allies?

Instead of buckling down and doing his work, he wants to just point fingers at everyone (but himself) as to why he can't get shit done. Hey, dummy, it's because you're preoccupied by blaming others instead of looking at yourself, you narcissistic sociopath!

Why would the Democrats ever work to actually give Trump a win? Like 90% of Democrats absolutely hate Trump.

My scenario kind of assumes the WH is competent which it isn't, but targeting vulnerable and centrist democrats (Manchin for instance) on taxes could work. But the package would have to actually help the working or middle class, which isn't going to happen with Ryan writing the bill so...they're fucked.

Ultimately Trump doesn't have any political capitol and the Russian shit makes things worse for him. But if he wanted to play ball and it made sense? I'd let Pelosi and Shumer take his lunch money.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Speaking of teaching (since we were earlier), today Trump overturned the requirement for states to check up on the efficacy of collegiate teacher preparation programs as well as something that helped states be more flexible in setting learning standards.

These rubes want to set back education decades in this country.

Huh? I'm pretty sure you have to do Geometry and Algebra 2.

This is false. I've been teaching high school math for nearly a decade, and many states require a minimum of Algebra 2. It may be disguised as "three years of high school math," but most high schools won't accept less than Algebra 2 in these cases.

I'm happy to hear this in some states. That's definitely not true for most of the South though. My old high school still requires only algebra 1 to graduate, and that's true for most of my students in college when I ask them what their background is.

Maxim726X

What a piece of shit.

Guys, this moron is turning on his own fucking staff! These aren't people in a corporation who are doing work for bonuses. These are guys you rely on to have your back, and if you don't have theirs, they'll turn on you. How long can Trump keep going when he's making enemies out of the only pool of people that should be his allies?

Instead of buckling down and doing his work, he wants to just point fingers at everyone (but himself) as to why he can't get shit done. Hey, dummy, it's because you're preoccupied by blaming others instead of looking at yourself, you narcissistic sociopath!

Of course he is. Trump is an egomaniac who never, ever takes responsibility for anything. Why anyone thought that this would change once he became POTUS I'll never understand.

I think the Maher video perfectly explains how I've felt about him from day one- He's a fucking slimy used car salesman. He's so full of shit that I have a hard time thinking that anyone could believe any of the garbage he promised people... But actually, it does appear to be that easy to fool people.

Ogodei

I'm happy to hear this in some states. That's definitely not true for most of the South though. My old high school still requires only algebra 1 to graduate, and that's true for most of my students in college when I ask them what their background is.

Pretty sure that was the case with my high school too, up in the North (and a pretty highly-rated high school for being in an obscure small town), they maybe only required pre-algebra? I remember a bunch of Seniors taking something called "Consumer Math," which was code for "we have to keep you in some kind of math class."

The more advanced cohort i was in did Algebra 1 in 8th grade and Algebra 2 in 9th, then you had choices before folks converged again for Calculus in senior year, but you could get your diploma with shockingly little math.

Blader

I don't know. Cesare just brought up how it could happen, and that's what I think republicans are going to try and do.

I mean, what if the planets align and they actually come up with some tax reform that is actually good for America? Should democrats refuse to help at that point? I don't think that's necessarily a good idea.

I don't think we're in any danger of Paul Ryan crafting corporate tax rates that even red-state Dems would find especially appealing.

Infrastructure, I think, is the only area where we could see bipartisanship, but there are plenty of House Rs who I'm sure will be eager to sink that, especially since we're not likely to see movement on it until late this year/early next year, when everyone's going to be focusing more on midterms and less on risky legislative gambits.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Are there still going to be attempts to make the AHCA happen? Or have they officially completely given up and moved on to taxes?

Ogodei

Infrastructure is the only danger of Trump getting a win that he can easily sell towards re-election, because even if his infrastructure plan is corrupt as shit and tantamount to a selloff of state assets like roads and bridges (as is likely), it'll still mean construction jobs, which plays right to the heart of the swing voters that put him in. Run up the margins in enough rural midwestern towns with construction work, and the Democratic path to victory gets narrow.

The wall is a boondoggle, repeal and replace failed, the travel bans have failed. Tax reform they'll probably get something done, but it'll mostly benefit the rich.

The Freedom Caucus might again be our saviors on infrastructure, given the trillion-dollar price tag.

Plinko

How does the actual budget (the one cutting PBS funding, etc) work--does that need 60 votes?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think they've given up. There's not much time left for reconciliation business, and so they need to move quickly.

I imagine they're going to try reconciliation stuff for taxes too, though maybe on the 2019 budget instead if that April 15 deadline is a problem.

Should be easier to work into the rules than Obamacare repeal.

How does the actual budget (the one cutting PBS funding, etc) work--does that need 60 votes?

It's a "skinny" budget. A budget outline that every President comes up with as a wish list and that rarely if ever looks the same whenever an actual budget passes the congress. To answer your question, to pass a budget through the Senate - yes it requires 60 votes.

A good article on the budget:

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/27/14751872/budget-process-explained

Manu Raju on Twitter:

NEWS: House Intelligence Committee scraps Tuesday briefing with Comey/Rogers because the two could not make it "as we'd hoped," aide says

I don't want to believe it's happening, but I think it's happening.

Manu Raju on Twitter:

I don't want to believe it's happening, but I think it's happening.

So Nunes wants to scuttle the investigation. He does it in two moves.

1. He schedules a classified closed hearing with Comey and Rodgers.
2. He violates intel rules so blatantly that Comey and Rodgers refuse to talk to him.

Done and done.

The Year Nixon Fell Apart
fascinating article; describes a president addicted to crisis, alcohol and sleeping pills, who saw enemies abroad, in the media and at home protesting the war he was trying to end, who cracked under the force of extroardinary pressures, and gave in to the dark side

Gallup: 36/57

2653862-5745018133-2315..gif

Plinko

2. He violates intel rules so blatantly that Comey and Rodgers refuse to talk to him.

Done and done.

Here's what I don't get--so the House investigation is broken. That still doesn't affect the Senate committee, and it definitely doesn't stop the IC from continuing to investigate and compile evidence. Is the House committee really that important at this point?

It's a "skinny" budget. A budget outline that every President comes up with as a wish list and that rarely if ever looks the same whenever an actual budget passes the congress. To answer your question, to pass a budget through the Senate - yes it requires 60 votes.

A good article on the budget:

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/27/14751872/budget-process-explained

Thanks for the explanation and link!

Done and done.

There was never any hope for the House investigation anyway. His obvious, clumsy maneuvers only added fuel to the real investigations I would think.

Here's what I don't get--so the House investigation is broken. That still doesn't affect the Senate committee, and it definitely doesn't stop the IC from continuing to investigate and compile evidence. Is the House committee really that important at this point?

The House investigation was the furthest along and had already gotten out of control. Scuttling it buys the White House more time at the least.

Plinko

I was just on 538--why is Ipsos weighted so heavily? I'm surprised as it is the only one where Trump has more favorable than unfavorable.

Blader

I thought that meeting was already cancelled by Nunes?

Nunes cancelled the public briefing with Yates, Brennan and Clapper because he said there need to be a closed-doors briefing with Comey and Rogers first. Now Comey and Rogers are cancelling on him.

Surfinn

Nunes cancelled the public briefing with Yates, Brennan and Clapper because he said there need to be a closed-doors briefing with Comey and Rogers first. Now Comey and Rogers are cancelling on him.

The public hearing with Clapper and company was canceled. That was scheduled for today. This is the cancellation of another internal meeting with Comey/Rogers now.

Thank you. Wow

If we've learned one thing from this admin it's that they're adept at cancelling things.

I think the AHCA really fucked him over. In 2012 exit polls in the Rust Belt the one thing Obama killed Romney on was healthcare, but in 2016 exit polls it didn't even show up. I think his flipped voters or the Obama voters that stayed home assumed he wouldn't touch their healthcare since his messaging was so atypical for a Republican. There's the budget that fucks them over too, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom