• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump has to be fuming that Obama once again will come out as the victor here with their health plans.

Sharpeye

As ignorant some old people are, even they would not tolerate this type of health care plan. Republicans know supporting this plan would be political suicide, as a chunk of their voters are old timers and losing them would spell doom come midterms.

Wow. I thought it would pass the House because I didn't envision all of these groups coming out against it.

Now it has zero chance.

Obamacare's subsidies and Medicaid expansion are two of the biggest things the far right hates. Ryan's plan essentially keeps both so it's not surprising they're upset.

I really don't think the House will manage to pass any type of Obamacare replacement bill with Ryan as Speaker. Too many House extremists want full repeal, which the establishment doesn't want. Meanwhile too many republicans in the House are dead set against tax credits, which are basically subsidies. There isn't an ideological group big enough to pass a plan without democrat support.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I could imagine the Dems offering an ACA Repair Act that fixes some stuff while offering a boon or two to Ryan, to see if they could get *something* through.

Trump is somewhat right that they could just wait a few years ago let obamacare explode and people would turn against it. The problem is that people aren't going to blame the minority party while things implode

Trump is somewhat right that they could just wait a few years ago let obamacare explode and people would turn against it. The problem is that people aren't going to blame the minority party while things implode

Obamacare won't explode though...unless they make changes and if they make changes then it's trumpcare....

what timeline is this? fuck that pigeon and it's bird at cern.

Emarv

Exactly. Not to mention the blame that will be placed on them for "doing nothing" during the 2018 midterms.

AndyD

aka andydumi

It won't implode. They keep talking doom and gloom about it, but it's working for many and it will continue to do so. Where it's not working as well is where Republicans have directly undermined it by refusing to expand Medicaid thus creating giant gaps in affordability/subsidies for coverage which distorts the insurance market and skyrockets costs. Instead of working to address those gaps and make minor changes improving it, the rhetoric is that it's failing and needs replacement.

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/10/26/13407610/obamacare-counties-one-insurer

I could imagine the Dems offering an ACA Repair Act that fixes some stuff while offering a boon or two to Ryan, to see if they could get *something* through.

I can see that working in the senate. But in the House, the Freedom Caucus and Tea Party group want full repeal. They aren't going to accept a repair.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I can see that working in the senate. But in the House, the Freedom Caucus and Tea Party group want full repeal. They aren't going to accept a repair.

Oh definitely not. Just as an exercise, trying to decide if that would be a good strategic move for the Dems.

chadskin

Well look at that, Spicer is holding an actual press briefing :O

With a new prop!
C6VU3gHWMAANSTQ.jpg

kirblar

They won't. The correct play is to only help when absolutely necessary. You don't throw a drowning opponent a lifeline.

Got linked today to a Vox article on Carter's disastrous presidency from back in January- http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/21/14297722/donald-trump-jimmy-carter-congress It's looking very prescient- despite having full control, Carter was incredible incompetent at actually doing anything, and refused to work with Congress to make sweeping changes (like say, Universal Healthcare!) despite having a filibuster proof majority. Here, we're seeing the same type of pattern emerge- there's no coordination going on w/ Ryan, the administration, or their caucuses, and it's causing a whole lot of nothing to actually happen.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mr.Shrugglesツ;231647890 said:
he's just now mentioning the threats against the jews.

did i go back in time?
He'd rather talk about that than everything else Trump's been involved in over the last week.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231647890 said:
He brought a guest

he's just now mentioning the threats against the jews.

did i go back in time?

There was a new wave of anti-Semitic attacks over the weekend I believe.

Teggy

So their plan is to say, "this is just phase 1! Phase 2 and 3 are going to be amazing!" Wonder if that will convince anyone.

Ogodei

Wow. I thought it would pass the House because I didn't envision all of these groups coming out against it.

Now it has zero chance.

It was clear the far-right wanted a return to the status quo ante with maybe tort reform and no state lines. Any solution that didn't tell the sick to go sit and spin wasn't going to get by them.

Blader

LOL no. They're keeping him.

You gotta wonder why. Are there just no other options? He's been in the Speaker role for under a year and a half and he's much worse at getting his caucus together than Boehner was.

For someone with absolute legislative control and a moron in the White House who will sign off on anything without reading it, Ryan has been shockingly inept.

You gotta wonder why. Are there just no other options? He's been in the Speaker role for under a year and a half and he's much worse at getting his caucus together than Boehner was.

For someone with absolute legislative control and a moron in the White House who will sign off on anything without reading it, Ryan has been shockingly inept.

There is no one better

Basically price wants the bs plans to come back that don't cover anything

I'll never forget the eye opener I had with healthcare in 2007, when I switched jobs and the plan offered was basically the exact opposite of insurance. Instead of me having a relatively low out of pocket maximum, the insurer did! I kid you not, the insurer was off the hook after $10,000. I mean, if something happens to you, you better hope it kills you.

Pixieking

Banned
Mr.Shrugglesツ;231650236 said:
Sorry, but this shit is scary.

I've seen the spicer pressers for the first three weeks, and this is different.

Our internet is crap... different good or different bad? Or just different crazy?

Uhhh, Spicey, I think you're projecting a bit on which plan is being shoved down everyone's throats.

You know ... the one that your party is rushing to pass before the CBO can score it
and that scoring reveals it to be a mess

So Spicer said the CBO should score the bill as if imaginary complementary bills that don't exist yet are part of it

Just use their imagination that the future bills will take care of any CBO concerns, so it should be perfect. The best repeal and replace ever passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom