• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rec0ded1

Is spicer shook because of this morning's senate intel hearing on Russia? I don't think the Nunes informer stuff would have beat him down this bad for some reason. So low energy today lol.

tmarg

No, there isn't.

At one time, there would have been.

What you call absurd on its face it how government *used to work.*

It's only absurd because the norms have changed, which was my point.

The problem with the current situation isn't "norms", it's that the current Republicans have no real interest in healthcare policy (or governing in general).

Their goals​ with the AHCA were to harm Obama's legacy by repealing his signature accomplishment and to find funding for tax cuts. Neither of those things are appropriate starting points for a bipartisan compromise.

I'll agree that things have certainly changed in the last few decades, but the AHCA is so ridiculous that it isn't a good example of anything except Republican incompetence.

The problem with the current situation isn't "norms", it's that the current Republicans have no real interest in healthcare policy (or governing in general).

Their goals​ with the AHCA were to harm Obama's legacy by repealing his signature accomplishment and to find funding for tax cuts. Neither of those things are appropriate starting points for a bipartisan compromise.

I'll agree that things have certainly changed in the last few decades, but the AHCA is so ridiculous that it isn't a good example of anything except Republican incompetence.

Fair enough. I was talking hypotheticals anyway.

Government worked that way because Democratic congressional majorities were full of Dixiecrats and conservatives that could easily work with Republican Presidents (and had a large incentive to do so in many cases).
Not just conservatives/Dixiecrats here but that's part of it. More conservative Democrats were more likely to oppose Reagan's deregulation agenda than Democrats from places like California and Rockefeller/Eisenhower Republicans were likely pro Civil Rights and New Deal programs.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Spicer saying republicans have always worked with democrats to confirm Supreme Court nominees was precious.

This administration is so wildly incompetent, I'm so fucking happy. If they were competent, we'd be in a really bad spot, but it's not hard to stall out a train being conducted by blind morons.

The cost benefit analysis of voting is that it costs whatever it costs you in time and energy and lost wages, and the benefit is the policy changes you desire divided by the probability that your vote causes those policy changes to happen.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but dividing by a very small number would give you a massive number if it's explicitly the formula for benefit. Would it be multiplication?

Gallup at 38/57 today, but breaking it down by demos is staggering:

@JohnJHarwood
new Gallup on Trump job performance, by party: Rs, 78% approve, 18% disapprove; Independents, 23%-56%; Ds, 7%-90%

@JohnJHarwood
new Gallup on Trump job performance, by age: 18-34, 24% approve, 68% disapprove; 35-54, 42%-53%; 55+, 45%-51%

@JohnJHarwood
Gallup on Trump job performance by race/educ: non-white 12% approve, 78% disapprove; white college grad 37%-61%; white non-college 57%-39%

I believe he did a lot better than 57% with white non-college in 16.

jmdajr

Spicer saying republicans have always worked with democrats to confirm Supreme Court nominees was precious.

yg62Dam93Iwq4.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

He did.

Without a demonized political candidate with a ton of baggage (like Clinton was) on the ballot in 2018/2020, they could be in serious trouble. Prospects in 2018 look much better now even than they did a couple months ago.

Jeels

That white college grad number is still way too high of an approval. Disgusting tbh how you can be educated and still think the shit that's happening is okay.

kirblar

That white college grad number is still way too high of an approval. Disgusting tbh how you can be educated and still think the shit that's happening is okay.
You can take the kid out of the country, but you can't change the decade+ of indoctrination out of the kid.

He did.

Without a demonized political candidate with a ton of baggage (like Clinton was) on the ballot in 2018/2020, they could be in serious trouble. Prospects in 2018 look much better now even than they did a couple months ago.

The bolded is why I believe that Bernie would have won. Not because I though he a quote "better candidate", but because heaps of idiots went with Trump because of the ridiculous demonization of Hillary.

I don’t believe the whole "lesser of two evils" bs narrative would have became a thing if it was Trump vs Bernie. (or if people just fu***ng inform themselves, but that's another story)

Also, Clinton's camp never had an equivalent to 'Bernie or Busters' to fuck shit up for the Democrat and stay home or vote for some irrelevant shithead cuz "purity".
I wholeheartedly believe that many more Clinton primary supporters would have turned out for Bernie than vice-versa (which was the 2016 election). i.e Jill Stein wouldn't even had been heard of.

A lot of Trump's votes were just anti-Hillary

And considering the slim margins she loss by, I think it would have been enough.

I don't why i brought this up. lol

teiresias

Bwahaha, the White House (not Nunes) is now saying they'll let other committee members see the the info. Absolutely incompetent messaging on this.

Grym

...I don’t..I don’t understand what they're saying...
or maybe I have a misunderstanding of what a miscarriage is.

Once you are far along in a pregnancy, the dead fetus of a miscarriage doesn't just fall out. It needs to basically be birthed or taken out

AndyD

aka andydumi

This is a great example of why privacy is critical and leaving it up to companies to provide services unchecked, it can be a disaster.

Got chills when I heard this. Russia is actively trying to access sensitive information on Senate intelligence committee members.

And as they clearly said, we have no plans, no defenses and no real strategy to speak of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom