• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it take to get rid of the filibuster? Shouldn't that be a whole new area of legislation or something? Also, is the vote for the SCOTUS coming soon? If they filibuster him now, when's the next chance to vote?

Sorry, I live in Canada and I'm not too familiar with this.

Quoting for new page.

Blader

What does it take to get rid of the filibuster? Shouldn't that be a whole new area of legislation or something? Also, is the vote for the SCOTUS coming soon? If they filibuster him now, when's the next chance to vote?

Sorry, I live in Canada and I'm not too familiar with this.

It's a rules change that only requires a majority vote in the Senate. Which Republicans, holding 52 seats, have.

How close to you think Trump and the Freedom Caucus are to a point of no return here? It feels like we are getting close, fast. A competent Speaker would have shut this shit down by now.

Tbf to Ryan, no Speaker is going to stop Trump from tweeting out intraparty incendiary bullshit at any given moment.

And with that, I will never speak in Ryan's defense again.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
A distraction they want nothing to do with. I'm sure they don't feel like defending themselves from literally being called out by the president of the US to do something (and questioned by the media). Kinda fucked up if you think about it.

But yeah just wildly pointing fingers at everyone else.

Just trying to push the Russia story. He just gave Fox News a talking point for tonight.

Holy shit at the whole Russia thing though. They just had something about it on CNN. Russians literary spammed specific stories thinking and knowing Trump was up at points. Just so he would reference it.

And he's going to need them for tax reform lol. Amazing.

How does he even negotiate or talk with them after this?

No idea but sadly they will.

pigeon

Banned
They would just do the rules change on the day, probably, although there is some debate over whether McConnell can do the rules change at all since it's not the first day of the session. Also he needs to get 50 votes for the rules change.

McConnell was to confirm Gorsuch by, or on, next Friday. I don't know if the rules change would be done just before or would have to be on a separate day.

So wait, if they have the vote to confirm him, and the Dems filibuster it, could they literally just nuke the filibuster days later and have the vote again?

kirblar

If you don't use the Fillibuster on Gorsuch, the next D nomination will be fillibustered.

If you do use the Fillibuster on Gorsuch, the next D nomination will be fillibustered.

There's only one thing to do here.

Shit, so when do they plan on doing this, and when is the vote to confirm Gosurch?

They wanted to confirm Gorsuch before the break. That was supposed to happen after the AHCA and Tax/Budget overhauls. Neither of the first two happened. I don't think anyone is really sure what they're gonna try and do next. People thought the AHCA was dead but they're still fighting over it publicly.

There's debate on if the GOP will actually nuke the filibuster. All this back and forth regarding the topic could just be political poker. Who's bluffing?

It's a rules change that only requires a majority vote in the Senate. Which Republicans, holding 52 seats, have.

Tbf to Ryan, no Speaker is going to stop Trump from tweeting out intraparty incendiary bullshit at any given moment.

And with that, I will never speak in Ryan's defense again.

Ryan rolled over for Trump during the Primary. If he had a backbone and stood for anything, he could have started it there. A competent Speaker would have also been able to see the lay of the land before he tried to ram a divisive bill through Congress. Ryan's complete inability to stand for anything creates a complete inability to hold his party together.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I hear pundits say that Dems shouldn't filibuster Gorsuch because they would lose that power for when Trump picks a real asshole for next judge.

Trump can do that anyway, Mconnell would just change the rules next time and Dems base would still be pissed.

I don't get it.

You have nothing to lose by filibustering Gorsuch

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
If you don't use the Fillibuster on Gorsuch, the next D nomination will be fillibustered.

If you do use the Fillibuster on Gorsuch, the next D nomination will be fillibustered.

There's only one thing to do here.

I just don't want Trump's lasting mark for years to be a Judge besides the Russia thing.

Zips

Mark Meadows was on his side with the healthcare before he said he was going to go after him..

Trump is horrible at this.

Trump is familiar with situations where he can order, bully, and intimidate people he wants to have do something. He is just trying to do the same here. Seems like it's all he has up his sleeve, considering how his businesses go to shit.

Good for us, and unfortunately for him, he is now working with people who that doesn't work so well on.

The fact that a group of nutballs so far to the right they are unpalatable to the moderately right is all that is standing between the American people and terrible legislation is pretty scary. It's like the U.S.currently has Mr. Burns's syndrome where he's only alive because all the terrible diseases are jammed up trying to get in at the same time.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
This is huge.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-f...-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959?mod=e2tw

Mike Flynn Offers to Testify in Exchange for Immunity

As an adviser to Mr. Trump's presidential campaign, and later one of Mr. Trump's top aides in the White House, Mr. Flynn was privy to some of the most sensitive foreign-policy deliberations of the new administration and was directly involved in discussions about the possible lifting of sanctions on Russia imposed by the Obama administration.

He has made the offer to the FBI and the House and Senate intelligence committees though his lawyer but has so far found no takers, the officials said.

woodland

This is huge.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-f...-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959?mod=e2tw

As an adviser to Mr. Trump's presidential campaign, and later one of Mr. Trump's top aides in the White House, Mr. Flynn was privy to some of the most sensitive foreign-policy deliberations of the new administration and was directly involved in discussions about the possible lifting of sanctions on Russia imposed by the Obama administration.

He has made the offer to the FBI and the House and Senate intelligence committees though his lawyer but has so far found no takers, the officials said.

Just saw that - but the phone banner alert did NOT mention immunity. That is seriously fucking huge.

edit: Found no takers. So either he doesn't have anything worthwhile? Or the FBI/CIA/etc already has all they need from him without his testifying.

sangreal

This is huge.

As an adviser to Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign, and later one of Mr. Trump’s top aides in the White House, Mr. Flynn was privy to some of the most sensitive foreign-policy deliberations of the new administration and was directly involved in discussions about the possible lifting of sanctions on Russia imposed by the Obama administration.

welp

Zips

I imagine nobody will want to grant immunity, but it is good that some of the scum involved in all this seem terrified of prison.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I imagine nobody will want to grant immunity, but it is good that some of the scum involved in all this seem terrified of prison.

I know jack shit about their process but wouldn't they wait to see if Page, Stone, or Manafort to see if they will use the same offer.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is huge.

As an adviser to Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign, and later one of Mr. Trump’s top aides in the White House, Mr. Flynn was privy to some of the most sensitive foreign-policy deliberations of the new administration and was directly involved in discussions about the possible lifting of sanctions on Russia imposed by the Obama administration.

giphy.gif

This is huge.

I hope the FBI's counter offer was "You'll get a cell with a window"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's one flip. More will probably follow.

This is huge.

tumblr_mkxvgeW7Da1snbkbmo1_500.gif

pigeon

Banned
I hear pundits say that Dems shouldn't filibuster Gorsuch because they would lose that power for when Trump picks a real asshole for next judge.

Trump can do that anyway, Mconnell would just change the rules next time and Dems base would still be pissed.

I don't get it.

You have nothing to lose by filibustering Gorsuch

This is literally what Schumer said today, thank God.

wapo said:
In the interview, Schumer doubted that an agreement could be reached.

“The deal would be, ‘We won’t change the rules on the next one,’ but the nuclear option is always available,” he said. “So how do you solve that?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...9aa75d3ec57_story.html?utm_term=.0f0039667195

The fact that no one is taking the offer actually makes me feel better because it means they don't even need his testimony and don't trust him enough to take it currently.

But I'll also remind people that people freaked out on the right when that guy who set up the server got offered immunity in the e-mail investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom