• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Wait, why do people suddenly think the filibuster is about to be nuked?

Because the senators who are normally skittish about that aren't anymore, and no Senate Republican is going to pass up the opportunity to fill a SCOTUS seat with a reliably conservative justice like Gorsuch. He'll be the most lasting element of Trump's legacy and the one they're likely to be most closely aligned with.

@PhilipRucker
Inside White House, some officials saw Katie Walsh as "a leaky vessel," per source. Loyal to Priebus, but viewed suspiciously by others.

Palace intrigue. Even if it was the (unlikely I think) case that Walsh left completely amicably, the WH is so fractious that people will still try to claim credit for running her out. That place is so toxic.

@BrianMontopoli
Spicer at Tuesday's briefing, accidentally confirming he knew there were two leakers before realizing his mistake:

C8MBD_FX0AAuJMo.jpg

Sean Spicer is bad at his job.

@PhilipRucker
Inside White House, some officials saw Katie Walsh as "a leaky vessel," per source. Loyal to Priebus, but viewed suspiciously by others.

Palace intrigue. Even if it was the (unlikely I think) case that Walsh left completely amicably, the WH is so fractious that people will still try to claim credit for running her out. That place is so toxic.

@BrianMontopoli
Spicer at Tuesday's briefing, accidentally confirming he knew there were two leakers before realizing his mistake:

C8MBD_FX0AAuJMo.jpg

Sean Spicer is bad at his job.

haha what a loser, Trump probably made fun of his suit and screamed at him again.

Nafai1123

Banned
Because the senators who are normally skittish about that aren't anymore, and no Senate Republican is going to pass up the opportunity to fill a SCOTUS seat with a reliably conservative justice like Gorsuch. He'll be the most lasting element of Trump's legacy and the one they're likely to be most closely aligned with.

He'll also be a blatant reminder for the next generation of the time when the GOP put party over country and buried their heads in the sand while the executive branch committed treason.

At least, I hope that's how he's remembered if he gets appointed.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Unless an election is likely to be decided by one vote, it's irrational to vote in it unless you enjoy the process of voting, either because of civic culture or because you like a candidate. We can either acknowledge that and improve things systematically by liberalizing voting and rebuilding civic culture or we can try and shame individuals.

Unless an election is decided by one vote it doesn't matter if you stay home or not.

You know what? You can actually win elections by convincing enough of the opposition that this is true.

Therefore it is false.

Owzers

Rand Paul on CNN, hates surveillance so much that he's willing to degrade himself for Trump?

You called them two suspects at the White House
I never called them suspects
Well the networks did, I don't know which networks, but the networks.

He held up his cellphone and says phones don't have wires so trump didn't mean wiretapping.

He'll also be a blatant reminder for the next generation of the time when the GOP put party over country and buried their heads in the sand while the executive branch committed treason.

At least, I hope that's how he's remembered if he gets appointed.

If he gets appointed and Trump/His Admin get convicted, I want nonstop yelling by Democratic Politicians that his seat was stolen by traitors and those who choose to ally with them. I don't care about the optics, let it be a bonfire.

The outright level of bullshit being stated by Republicans about "You're obstructing our right" after them having done the exact same thing for 8+ months(and threatening to continue to do so if Clinton won) is beyond compare.

Blader

If Isakson isn't back in the Senate in time for the Gorsuch vote, does that mean McConnell would need to peel off nine Dems to overcome a filibuster?

re: Heitkamp supporting Gorsuch - I'm sure the Senate Democrats have discussed how many people they can afford to "lose" on it. I'm sure you'll see many of the Red State Dems up for election in 2018 coming out in support of Gorsuch. But McConnell will need 8 of them to do so and I'm not sure there are that many.

re: Heitkamp supporting Gorsuch - I'm sure the Senate Democrats have discussed how many people they can afford to "lose" on it. I'm sure you'll see many of the Red State Dems up for election in 2018 coming out in support of Gorsuch. But McConnell will need 8 of them to do so and I'm not sure there are that many.
Romney Five, Bennet, Coons, and King seems the most likely path to 60 imo

I'm not a huge fan of extrapolating the actions of deep red state senators and applying them to the Democratic Party as a whole. Especially when an individual defection is meaningless. The whips have their jobs for a reason.

pigeon

Banned
I think Democrats should be consistent in saying that senators who support Gorsuch should be voted out of office, even if those senators claim to be Democrats.

Clinton Watts (who testified at the Senate intel hearing today) is on CNN right now with some great commentary. Including some damning statements about the timeline in which the Trump campaign (and Trump himself) parroted Russian news and vice versa. "The circle seems clear" but he never states outright that coordination has been proved or happened.

Warner might be an option, too

But until McConnell gets 60 I don't know that I especially care if a few red state Dems want to come out and support Gorsuch
I think Warner said he was a no yesterday, unless he just meant no on confirmation, yes on ending cloture. Or if I conjured this out of my imagination.

Actually I might be confusing him with Nelson.

Clinton Watts (who testified at the Senate intel hearing today) is on CNN right now with some great commentary. Including some damning statements about the timeline in which the Trump campaign (and Trump himself) parroted Russian news and vice versa. "The circle seems clear" but he never states outright that coordination has been proved or happened.

The rhetoric is certainly ramping up. I'm starting to wonder if people in the know already know Trump is guilty, but they can't prove it just yet conclusively.

The rhetoric is certainly ramping up. I'm starting to wonder if people in the know already know Trump is guilty, but they can't prove it just yet conclusively.

Even more damning in his statement was that he didn't feel the current administration would have his back if he was targeted as he has been before. Something he mentioned in his testimony. He said having spoken out today, there's a good chance his bank accounts would be compromised, or attempts would be made to delegitimize him via news releases (some real, some not) - the way this administration has acted thus far tells him, that if what he's saying was perceived as opposed to the Trump administration - nothing would be done to stop it.

He specifically mentioned Trumps criticisms of the IC, his false statements about wiretapping and general tendency to parrot the type of fake news he's talked about. He stated outright...

"We can counter the fake news. That's doable but to do that, we have to have a President that's not out there parroting that very same fake news."

He also says that the minute that Trump administration turns against Russia, the entire operation can and will turn on them.

kirblar

I'm not a huge fan of extrapolating the actions of deep red state senators and applying them to the Democratic Party as a whole. Especially when an individual defection is meaningless. The whips have their jobs for a reason.
/|\

Senators represent states. Not the Dem party as a whole. We let them do this for a very good reason.

When the ACA passed, 30-ish Dem Reps got to vote against it.

Surfinn

Just causing a distraction.

A distraction they want nothing to do with. I'm sure they don't feel like defending themselves from literally being called out by the president of the US to do something (and questioned by the media). Kinda fucked up if you think about it.

But yeah just wildly pointing fingers at everyone else.

A distraction they want nothing to do with. I'm sure they don't feel like defending themselves from literally being called out by the president of the US to do something (and questioned by the media). Kinda fucked up if you think about it.

But yeah just wildly pointing fingers at everyone else.

They voted for this.

What does it take to get rid of the filibuster? Shouldn't that be a whole new area of legislation or something? Also, is the vote for the SCOTUS coming soon? If they filibuster him now, when's the next chance to vote?

Sorry, I live in Canada and I'm not too familiar with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom