• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

64YWIbd.gif

vlyOhlR.gif

Saying "would you support FDR today" is silly because he's a product of a completely different time politically. If FDR was a politician today he would at the very least be probably at the median Democrat's position on civil rights.

The NRCC ad for the GOP in GA-6 is fucking horrible.

https://www.nrcc.org/2017/03/31/nrcc-releases-first-ga-06-tv-ad-titled-clear/

"Hello, we know that your district really hates Donald Trump. Here is a bunch of pictures of Donald Trump. Also, Democrats, remember that Donald Trump is the president. Wouldn't want to miss that. We also can't say who you should vote for. Have fun!"
Eh I think it's better than the one where they attacked Ossoff for liking Star Wars. NANCY PELOSI AND HER LIBRUL AGENDA shows up too which is an obvious appeal to get Price voters to avoid letting their taxes be raised. Trump's approval rating as per that last poll there is much higher than the national average.

I'm surprised they don't just endorse Handel though. She seems like probably the strongest of the bunch and it looks like she'll win anyways.

Eh I think it's better than the one where they attacked Ossoff for liking Star Wars. NANCY PELOSI AND HER LIBRUL AGENDA shows up too which is an obvious appeal to get Price voters to avoid letting their taxes be raised. Trump's approval rating as per that last poll there is much higher than the national average.

I'm surprised they don't just endorse Handel though. She seems like probably the strongest of the bunch and it looks like she'll win anyways.

"Better" is relative.

Also, given the composition of the district and what we know about Trump's approval ratings from better polls, there's absolutely no way his approval rating is above water in GA-6. He's still getting destroyed with college educated whites AND GA-6 has a growing minority population. There is no concoction of demos that would give him positive approval in the district based on what we know about it.

Did he really just get pissy about Flynn and straight pack up before signing?

I doubt it, tbh. He doesn't even slow down. He gets to the podium, says his piece, and then immediately leaves.

Either he never intended to do a public signing or he straight up forgot why he was there. Dementia, anybody?

To go further on this,
McCaskill's written statement/article about this is pretty good

Emphasis on Gorsuch being for corporations and not representing the promises Trump made to Missourians who voted for him. That seems like a pretty good way for a red state Democrat to go about opposing Gorsuch
Interesting. Not a bad way of going about it. Trump said he would "drain the swamp" but Gorsuch seems to be the very definition of that swamp and would only help it to get larger, not smaller. Pretty straight-forward.

But yeah, I mean... the guy sided with a corporation wanting to fire a guy just because, understandably, that guy didn't want to freeze to death just for the sake of his job. When people say "he could be worse," I just.... I can't. That's so "starving children in Africa" type nonsense. Yeah, I'm sure and know that there are people even more evil than heartless than him out there, but I just wasn't aware someone literally needed to be Satan for us to say no, even with Trump as President.

hat's just a load of hogwash and I want no part of party that has so little standards and such little spine, where that alone isn't enough for an instant dismissal, so I'm definitely glad at the way things seem to be going here and definitely glad that Schumer wants to filibuster, because fuck anybody who would make a decision like that and try to argue that companies have a right to tell their employees to freeze to deaht or lose their jobs--they have no place on the highest court in the United States and I'm definitely glad that Schumer and a majority of the Dems in the Senate seem to be in agreement on that point.

sangreal

NEW: Terrorists have been testing a bomb small enough to fit in laptop & could get past airport scanners, US intel officials tell CBS News.

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/847930608605155328

Explains the banning of laptops.

it's the only way the reactionary TSA/DHS knows how to handle things

shoe bomb -> no shoes
liquid bomb -> no liquids
underwear bomb -> nude scanners

mind you, laptops are already all x-rayed by their crack team of experts. a laptop ban would go over like a lead balloon if it wasn't limited to muslim countries

also, why do they need to make a bomb small enough to fit in a laptop? plenty of larger electronics are allowed in carry-ons, like videogame consoles

So this is this Friday's news dump

@ProPublica
Tonight, the White House is releasing financial disclosures for 180 staffers. But they’re making it very hard to get them.

Should make for a fun weekend.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
it's the only way the reactionary TSA/DHS knows how to handle things

shoe bomb -> no shoes
liquid bomb -> no liquids
underwear bomb -> nude scanners

mind you, laptops are already all x-rayed by their crack team of experts. a laptop ban would go over like a lead balloon if it wasn't limited to muslim countries

also, why do they need to make a bomb small enough to fit in a laptop? plenty of larger electronics are allowed in carry-ons, like videogame consoles
Probably assume laptops can be easily disgused. But it just explains the banning of all laptops out of some airports. Hopefully they figure it out and it isn't a long term issue.
So this is this Friday's news dump

@ProPublica
Tonight, the White House is releasing financial disclosures for 180 staffers. But they’re making it very hard to get them.

Should make for a fun weekend.

Yet no Trump's.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Anyone following this stuff about Giuliana and Mukasey getting involved in defending this Turkish-Iranian money launderer?

It sounds crazy, with the apparent admission that they've been working on negotiating some kind of deal between Turkey and the US without working with or informing the prosecution.

Did Giuliani Try to Cut Deal Between U.S. and Turkey for Iranian?
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former U.S. Attorney General Mike Mukasey disclosed they wanted to go around prosecutors and cut a deal between the Turkish and U.S. governments for a client accused of laundering Iranian money, a federal prosecutor alleged in a letter to a federal judge Friday.

Giuliani, now President Trump's cyber czar, and Mukasey are part of the defense team for Reza Zarrab, a Turkish-Iranian gold trader charged in federal court with helping the Iranian government avoid sanctions and launder hundreds of millions.

They did not inform the court formally that they were representing the client, and lead attorney Ben Brafman said they would not be appearing in court on behalf of Zarrab. On March 28, the judge asked the defense to disclose the role of the two men in the defense team, and also explain why it had not been disclosed previously.

According to the letter sent Friday by Joon Kim, acting U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, "They have refused." Kim says Giuliani and Mukasey won't provide details of their participation other than to say they have been retained in a way that "may impact the prosecution."

Kim says that Giuliani and Mukasey told the prosecutor's office, "without protection of attorney-client or work-product privilege," that they went to Turkey in late February to meet with President Recep Erdogan "to discuss potential ways to facilitate a resolution of the charges against the defendant in the case."

According to Kim, they also "informed this Office that Mr. Giuliani and Mr. Mukasey had sought to meet other officials in the U.S. government outside of this Office to discuss a potential disposition of the case."
Kim asked for a Curcio, or conflict-of-interest, inquiry because the law firms of Giuliani and Mukasey represent some of the banks allegedly used in the money laundering, and because Giuliani's firm also represents the government of Turkey.
Like, this is nuts, right?

Allard

Yeah that type of investigation is way more specific and way, way harder for Trump to play dumb with. If that info turns out true there will be riots in the street if he hasn't resigned or removed forcibly from office. Its like the Paris Peace accord and Watergate X100 all folded into one treacherous cocktail. As such the investigation better get this right and I hope they take the time to produce results that are true and actionable. I shudder how horrible this would be if they made those claims and the evidence was circumspect or based partially on false Intel/testimony.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah that type of investigation is way more specific and way, way harder for Trump to play dumb with. If that info turns out true there will be riots in the street if he hasn't resigned or removed forcibly from office. Its like the Paris Peace accord and Watergate X100 all folded into one treacherous cocktail. As such the investigation better get this right and I hope they take the time to produce results that are true and actionable. I shudder how horrible this would be if they made those claims and the evidence was circumspect or based partially on false Intel/testimony.

If they've focused the scope this narrowly after all of their investigating it could likely mean they feel they're more likely to get him on this than anything else. It does seem like it'd be easier to prove.

If they get anyone on this they could flip them to bring down the rest.

Is this not what FBI was investigating?

The article has a little more FBI probing whether Trump aides helped Russian intel in early 2016

CBS News said:
CBS News has learned that U.S. investigators are looking into whether Trump campaign representatives had a role in helping Russian intelligence as it carried out cyberattacks on the Democratic National Committee and other political targets in March 2016.

This new information suggests that the FBI is going back further than originally reported to determine the extent of possible coordination. Sources say investigators are probing whether an individual or individuals connected to the campaign intentionally or unwittingly helped the Russians breach Democratic Party targets.

In March 2016, both Mr. Trump and Hillary Clinton had emerged as their parties' most likely nominees.

What we know in the FBI probe of Trump campaign's Russia ties
According to a declassified intelligence assessment, it was in March when Russian hackers ”began cyber operations aimed at the U.S. election." In May, U.S. officials say the Russians had stolen ”large volumes of data from the DNC."

U.S. investigators are looking into whether Trump campaign representatives had a role in helping Russian intelligence as it carried out cyberattacks on the Democratic National Committee and other political targets in March 2016. CBS NEWS
Starting in June, websites like Guccifer 2.0 and WikiLeaks began posting the hacked documents.

In August, Trump confidant Roger Stone tweeted about Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta.

”Trust me, it will soon the Podesta's time in the barrel," Stone tweeted.

Then on Oct 7, WikiLeaks began publishing Podesta's personal emails. It was the same day the Department of Homeland Security and director of national intelligence publicly accused Russia of carrying out the cyberattacks.

Now, one year after the Russian operation began, sources say the FBI's investigation is nowhere near over. It involves dozens of agents in Washington, New York and London. The NSA and CIA are also gathering intelligence from inside Russia.

The NSA and CIA are gathering intelligence from inside Russia in their investigation into election hacking.

Despite his denials, investigators believe the operation was authorized by Russian President Vladimir Putin himself and it involved both cyberattacks and information warfare.

According to testimony on Friday before the Senate Intelligence Committee, 15,000 operatives worldwide participated in spreading false news stories and conspiracy theories online. Those activities are also part of the FBI's investigation - including who paid for them.

Law enforcement sources say one theory is that Trump associates could have been motivated by money. But sources tell us the FBI wants to get the investigation absolutely right so that the public will trust the result, whatever that turns out to be.

So this goes a bit further. This is an investigation as to whether or not Trump officials actually helped Russia commit the hacks themselves.

Lock him up? And all that jazz.

Seriously, FUCK the GOP when this is proven and they try to weasel away from it. They let him run, they gave him the nomination, they didn't do fuck all to stop him. They can burn with the fucker

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If they've focused the scope this narrowly after all of their investigating it could likely mean they feel they're more likely to get him on this than anything else. It does seem like it'd be easier to prove.

If they get anyone on this they could flip them to bring down the rest.
I doubt it's narrowed yet, this is just one of the many avenues, no reason to narrow until you charge someone.

DonShula

Propaganda c/o Fox (c/o Dan Scavino):

I remember Obama coming in and busting up all those job, firing people left and right, spray painting people's siding, throwing bricks through their windows, taking a cut of all the tips at the end of the night at restaurants across the country, running around yelling "don't buy that" in stores and making people feel insecure. One man crime spree. Looking back I don't know how he managed to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom