• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would definitely put the "unproductive hundred days" narrative to bed. Destroying the economy of the agrarian states DOES count as doing something.

The only thing better than a failure to pass this health bill is a vote on the record of doing so with attack ad fuel like pre-existing condition amendments. You guys should be thrilled if they force a vote.

But Moderate Republicans sweating about Kansas and Georgia would be on the hook. They ain't risking that shit.

To get the FC on board, they needed to remove one of the most popular parts of the ACA. Combine that with Kansas and Georgia, and the original bill being hated by 80% of the country, it's a recipe for disaster for the GOP.

Barzul

They are getting rid of all individual deductions bar Charity and Home Ownership? Get ready for the attack ads from special interests. I know I've used the Education deductions, I'm gonna be SOL on that front it seems. Need to see a calculator based on this plan soon.

This might be a dumb question but why don't Republicans just do a Bush-esque tax cut? It'd probably be the most popular part of their agenda, they get to make rich people happy, and they actually don't care about the deficit so if anything it helps them point the finger at government spending out of control whenever a Democrat takes power next.

This might be a dumb question but why don't Republicans just do a Bush-esque tax cut? It'd probably be the most popular part of their agenda, they get to make rich people happy, and they actually don't care about the deficit so if anything it helps them point the finger at government spending out of control whenever a Democrat takes power next.
Current batch are crazy enough that they've basically bought into their own rhetoric.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There's a limit on how big and how long it can last since they'd need to reconciliation.

One thing is they can only do a tax cut through reconciliation for 10 years and want to avoid another 2013-esque negotiation with a Dem President. Also, tax cuts really unpopular and the GOP wants to camouflage their cuts with the reform mumbo-jumbo.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
1) Trump's tax plan would save me a shitton of money
2) Trump is still a fucking moron and this plan would be bad for the country

Democracts: Thanks for Texas, guys, we needed those EVs!

This is the GOP's play to keep Texas. They have seen the demographics of Texas shift over the last 20 years. 2012 was the last high school graduating class in Texas to have a white majority. They feel they desperately need to do something to reverse that. Demographics are destiny. They are something the GOP can't overcome. A financial collapse will be much easier for them to control. They can direct the hate where they want and they will be able to profit off of the downturn.

They can also disturb California, which is a positive. Things in California can't really get much worse for the GOP, so they have nothing to lose. They can just radically shake things up and try to gain an advantage in the chaos.

The education deduction is student loans, right?

Because that makes up a huge portion of my return.

This is the GOP's play to keep Texas. They have seen the demographics of Texas shift over the last 20 years. 2012 was the last high school graduating class in Texas to have a white majority. They feel they desperately need to do something to reverse that. Demographics are destiny. They are something the GOP can't overcome. A financial collapse will be much easier for them to control. They can direct the hate where they want and they will be able to profit off of the downturn.

They can also disturb California, which is a positive. Things in California can't really get much worse for the GOP, so they have nothing to lose. They can just radically shake things up and try to gain an advantage in the chaos.

If the economy crashes, the GOP will be dead. You can't blame the minority party for a financial catastrophe with a very clear trigger that caused it (that your party did)

That's never worked.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That "tax plan" was a goddamned joke.

"what is any kind of detail whatsoever?" - "Now you're asking really granular questions!"

Literally not even hiding that the intent is just a massive corporate tax break - and thy said that they're getting rid of all those "bullshit loophles...." including dependents and things that middle class people use.

what a fucking joke.

My blood is boiling. But hey, Obama is a plutocrat now so let's vote for nobody, right?

I love how they vilify the AMT and Death Tax like those are just things everyday people use.

Those are taxes for rich people to avoid loopholes, plain and simple.

"what is any kind of detail whatsoever?" - "Now you're asking really granular questions!"

Literally not even hiding that the intent is just a massive corporate tax break - and thy said that they're getting rid of all those "bullshit loophles...." including dependents and things that middle class people use.

what a fucking joke.

My blood is boiling. But hey, Obama is a plutocrat now so let's vote for nobody, right?

Surely with this massive tax cut for corporations, we should have no problem raising the minimum wage to $15 right?

Barzul

1) Trump's tax plan would save me a shitton of money
2) Trump is still a fucking moron and this plan would be bad for the country

I'd probably save money too overall but honestly the plan makes no sense. It would skyrocket the deficit for one, who falls under what tax bracket? Very little information was given. It's basically spouting the voodoo economics Reagan and Bush advocated and that we know do not work.

what a fucking joke.

I must've missed the part about removing the dependents deduction being eliminated. Dead in the water.

The education deduction is student loans, right?

Because that makes up a huge portion of my return.

If the economy crashes, the GOP will be dead. You can't blame the minority party for a financial catastrophe with a very clear trigger that caused it (that your party did)

That's never worked.

The GOP is better positioned to deliver the type of populist message that works during a crash. The country is polarized enough for them to be able to avoid blame. They were able to convince people that Hillary Clinton ran a sex ring out of a pizza shop, blaming Dems for a crash is child's play.

The GOP is better positioned to deliver the type of populist message that works during a crash. The country is polarized enough for them to be able to avoid blame. They were able to convince people that Hillary Clinton ran a sex ring out of a pizza shop, blaming Dems for a crash is child's play.

The majority of people do not believe Hillary Clinton ran a sex ring. It's a niche conspiracy theory.

If the economy dips, the GOP will take the blame. This isn't some kind of master plan. This is Trump being Trump and doing what he wants whether it blows up his own party or not.

No, student loan interest deductions are not an itemized deduction.

Oh okay. That's good. It's like half my return.

"You mentioned middle class tax cuts. For middle class families watching this tonight on the news, family of four, median income $60,000...what does it mean for them?"

"Gonna mean a tax cut"

"How much?"

"Gonna mean a tax cut"

iammeiam

Also regarding tax reform:
C-WgX0uXgAAgEat.jpg

So they want to get rid of being able to deduct medical expenses? You can currently only deduct if your medical expenses exceed 10% of your AGI for the year, so this is specifically going to screw over people with lower incomes and higher medical bills. Doing this alongside trying to destroy insurance for the lower income bracket is just fucking amazing.

I do think the Student Loan Interest deductions survive in the plan, because IIRC they're actual income adjustments, not itemized after-the-fact deductions?

It boggles my mind how Republicans can play both sides of the coin. Sure, this tax plan is really about helping your average Joe and getting those factories running again, so let's trot out two ex-Goldman Sachs execs to sell it to us. The fuck...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
"You mentioned middle class tax cuts. For middle class families watching this tonight on the news, family of four, median income $60,000...what does it mean for them?"

"Gonna mean a tax cut"

"How much?"

"Gonna mean a tax cut"

This is classic Republican strategy. And if you guys think it wouldn't work, you're fooling yourselves.

Yeah, the vast majority of the cuts benefit the ultra rich. But give the lower middle class, rural, right-wing voters a measly tax cut and they'll be singing Trump's praises. Who cares if the rich get their millions, they got their 300 bucks or whatever and they're fucking thrilled. Worked for Bush, will work for Trump if he can cram it through somehow. These people are stupid.

numble

what a fucking joke.

I'd probably save money too overall but honestly the plan makes no sense. It would skyrocket the deficit for one, who falls under what tax bracket? Very little information was given. It's basically spouting the voodoo economics Reagan and Bush advocated and that we know do not work.

I must've missed the part about removing the dependents deduction being eliminated. Dead in the water.

There is no dependents deduction. Dependents are not an itemized deduction. You can claim an exemption for them. If what is on that summary is true, the exemption for dependents is not eliminated.

So they want to get rid of being able to deduct medical expenses? You can currently only deduct if your medical expenses exceed 10% of your AGI for the year, so this is specifically going to screw over people with lower incomes and higher medical bills. Doing this alongside trying to destroy insurance for the lower income bracket is just fucking amazing.

I do think the Student Loan Interest deductions survive in the plan, because IIRC they're actual income adjustments, not itemized after-the-fact deductions?

That's correct, if what is on that summary is true.

Even apart from messaging, these guys are wilting under the pressure of passing tax reform under decent economic circumstances. They probably will be even more dysfunctional in terms of legislating in the brutal climate of a crash. And in those circumstances, being feckless do-nothings would make the public bay for blood.

Barzul

There is no dependents deduction. Dependents are not an itemized deduction. You can claim an exemption for them. If what is on that summary is true, the exemption for dependents is not eliminated.

Ok thanks, I've never had to claim it so didn't quite know how it worked.

My mom is on the board of Northern VA landscapers association and I guess they are sending everyone from all over the country today to go to Congress and advocate for the H2B Visa program to be renewed and put back in place. She said they ambled her and she had a list of 90 people in Congress she needed to meet and speak with about this to try and garner support.

Is there some hidden benefit you see in acting as though the GOP are god-like svengalis that I don't know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom