• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
All else aside, I actually think he got underpaid. I was expecting a figure closer to $800k at least.

With his legacy, I hope the way it's going to go is he gets paid a lot by those who can afford it, Wall Street and such, and in turn he does free speeches and appearances at Universities and other smaller institutions who could not otherwise get him. Like his appearance at the student forum the other week.

There really isn't a need for as much retail as what exists but the poor are just going to be hammered again and good luck with Trump as president

Blader

I find Steve Bannon's brand of ethnonationalist populism very disappointing. Where is the massive public works spending? Where is the infrastructure package for rails and roads and shipyards? Where is the anti-GOP establishment firebreathing that was supposed to drive the Republicans crazy and scared shitless with his radical spending views? The guy is simply another movement conservative advocating for movement conservative policies.

Just another cuck in the cuck kingdom.

I think the next recession is going to clobber giant retail companies like Macy's, Penny's, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc

I think we're on the cusp of small mom and pop retailers making a major return. I just kind of have a feeling, it's not based on anything, but it just feels like the up coming generation likes smaller specialty stores and smaller restaurants over huge chain stores. I think their relative niche and small size will be their advantage when a place like Macy's goes under.

Malls are going to be absolutely crushed, though.

Teggy

There are 6 Billion people in the world.

There's only one Barack Obama. Hence, he gets paid a shit-ton.

Here's the payroll of the Washington Nationals: http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/payroll/ They get paid a metric ton too per game too. Because there's only one of them.

17 Celebrities’ Club Appearance Fees: Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, & More 17 Celebrities’ Club Appearance Fees: Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, & More

Kim Kardashian earned $500,000 for a series of Las Vegas club appearances during the week of her 30th birthday, says Glamour.

Christina Aguilera, meanwhile, was paid $1 million for a one-hour Halloween performance in San Diego, per Glamour.

Barack Obama is decidedly more famous than anybody on this list.

Just a note on these - these people are paid this much because they are an investment in drawing visitors to the ballpark, club, etc. I'm not sure the nature of the event he is speaking at, but I wasn't under the impression it was a fundraiser - I could be wrong.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/28/first-estimate-of-2017-q1-gdp.html

Oh boy here comes that recession. Let's see how his followers like seeing things crumble, look for leadership and only see Trump at his golf course blaming Obama and talking about his electoral win.

Just need that massive tax cut for high earners and it will be fixed no problem.

kirblar

Its a health care conference. Hes being used as an attraction for it, yes, but its also completely appropriate given the ACA.

Other thread in OT pointed out that foreign tourism is bleeding under Trump. That plus retails probably enough to trigger one.

And the Jane Sanders stuff deserves a thread, I just proooobably am not the best one to post it.

dramatis

I find Steve Bannon's brand of ethnonationalist populism very disappointing. Where is the massive public works spending? Where is the infrastructure package for rails and roads and shipyards? Where is the anti-GOP establishment firebreathing that was supposed to drive the Republicans crazy and scared shitless with his radical spending views? The guy is simply another movement conservative advocating for movement conservative policies.

Just another cuck in the cuck kingdom.
A side effect of the immersion in news like Fox News, Breitbart, etc., is that the producers and consumers have convinced themselves of a conception of the office of the president that is not the reality of the presidency. So they walk in thinking Obama was a dictator, we should be able to be a dictator too.

Even though Bannon was breathing all these philosophies and ideas, he couldn't execute on them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This reccesion is going to be a retail and tourism retraction.

One a market transition, the other caused by voters and an antiquated electorial college.

Pixieking

Banned
Retail has been dying a slow death for a couple of years at least, due to Amazon and online shopping. Malls are going under, and have been for awhile...

Macy’s woes could doom a third of America’s malls, analyst says

Is American Retail at a Historic Tipping Point?

Meanwhile, Trump is reportedly considering banning laptops on planes from the UK, which if it goes through is going to grind US tourism and business trips down even further.

I don't get how Trump could be so old and have so little understanding of how anything works. The epitome of ignorance.

I'm going to miss malls

There's something nostalgic about walking around a mall in December. The hustle and bustle. Carrying tons of stuff around from store to store

December is the only time I ever go to the mall lol

pigeon

Banned
I'm with you. And I read the thread.

Then you should be able to respond specifically to posts with arguments and opinions instead of demanding everybody engage with you from scratch as if the conversation didn't even start before you got to the thread

That's why forums have the quote function, so you can quote stuff and respond to it

DonShula

Then you should be able to respond specifically to posts with arguments and opinions instead of demanding everybody engage with you from scratch as if the conversation didn't even start before you got to the thread

That's why forums have the quote function, so you can quote stuff and respond to it

I merely meant to express support for the incredulous sentiment, not to also demand an explanation. I read your explanation and did not find it compelling. My position has been represented well enough that there's no reason or need to quote and counter.

I remain amazed that the discussion on this topic went on for as long as it did in both this thread and the thread dedicated to it.

John Harwood‏Verified account @JohnJHarwood 1m1 minute ago

Trump just now on 100 Days: "It's a false standard, but i don't think anyone's been able to do what we've done"

The only cool thing about fascism is the aesthetics and they can't even do that right. Where's the heraldry? The black with silver trim? Nowhere, because bumpkins make shit fascists.

pigeon

Banned
I merely meant to express support for the incredulous sentiment, not to also demand an explanation. I read your explanation and did not find it compelling. My position has been represented well enough that there's no reason or need to quote and counter.

I remain amazed that the discussion on this topic went on for as long as it did in both this thread and the thread dedicated to it.

Well that's probably because it was filled with contentless throw-ins from people who just wanted to express disdain

Teggy

Retail has been dying a slow death for a couple of years at least, due to Amazon and online shopping. Malls are going under, and have been for awhile...

Macy's woes could doom a third of America's malls, analyst says

Meanwhile, Trump is reportedly considering banning laptops on planes from the UK, which if it goes through is going to grind US tourism and business trips down even further.

I don't get how Trump could be so old and have so little understanding of how anything works. The epitome of ignorance.

The same Macy's that Trump was rooting to fail.

John Harwood‏Verified account @JohnJHarwood 1m1 minute ago

Trump just now on 100 Days: "It's a false standard, but i don't think anyone's been able to do what we've done"

No one could sit at a desk and sign executive orders. It's grueling.

Ernest

Banned
I'm ready for a recession, but I don't think most Americans are.

I wonder what industry will go under this time around.

And I wonder how Trumpsters will find others to blame than their demigod
Don't you know - if the economy is good, Trump takes credit, if it's bad, it's Obama's fault.

Best case scenario for him was losing the electoral vote while winning the popular vote. Losing the popular vote while winning the electoral vote was probably the worst case scenario for him.

"I can retire to private life with the consciousness that I shall receive from posterity the credit of having been elected to the highest position in the gift of the people, without any of the cares and responsibilities of the office." -Samuel Tilden

Slayven

Macy’s woes could doom a third of America’s malls, analyst says

Him pressing the button to get the coke is what i imagine most of his life to be like. He tells people to make something happen and he shows up when all the work is done.

Ogodei

She suffered a humiliated defeat

And even though, come four years it might be seen as actually being better for the Democrats that she lost, it was still a loss, a surprising loss that gave us Donald Trump as president.

Generally, those that suffer losses like that more or less fade into obscurity. It took Gore awhile to get back into the public, and even then, it's not really often. Kerry never went public again. I can't think of a single event or any public thing he did after losing. Even Carter, who won once and is a former president, generally lives a non-public life.

She's also not really that great of a big speech speaker, so what does she offer speaking at the convention by doing a speech at some random off hour where 100 people are watching?

It's really true for most Presidents, whether they left office on good terms or poor, or were defeated at the polls. Bill was the exception because he became a hanger-on to Hillary's career.

Ogodei

I think the next recession is going to clobber giant retail companies like Macy's, Penny's, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc

I think we're on the cusp of small mom and pop retailers making a major return. I just kind of have a feeling, it's not based on anything, but it just feels like the up coming generation likes smaller specialty stores and smaller restaurants over huge chain stores. I think their relative niche and small size will be their advantage when a place like Macy's goes under.

Malls are going to be absolutely crushed, though.

3D Printing i've always felt like is going to lead to a renaissance of small artisans as the prices come down, and you could get things like an indie tool & die shop that would make small machine tools in-house. The dawn of cheap special order.

Bulk retail is basically just going to be swallowed by online, except for groceries and clothing (since you need to try clothes on, and clothes shopping is more of a social experience for a lot of people).

tbm24

She suffered a humiliated defeat

And even though, come four years it might be seen as actually being better for the Democrats that she lost, it was still a loss, a surprising loss that gave us Donald Trump as president.

Generally, those that suffer losses like that more or less fade into obscurity. It took Gore awhile to get back into the public, and even then, it's not really often. Kerry never went public again. I can't think of a single event or any public thing he did after losing. Even Carter, who won once and is a former president, generally lives a non-public life.

She's also not really that great of a big speech speaker, so what does she offer speaking at the convention by doing a speech at some random off hour where 100 people are watching?
I understand there are some who would disagree, probably aggressively disagree, but despite her having lost she's still very notable to me as a person and a democrat. He has done her fair share for the party and I liked her campaign having followed it closely. On top of that she also ignited political intrigue in my Wife who before just had a passing interest. It's foolish to deny that she has had an impact on people, despite her loss, and as I said earlier I'd be disappointed if she was at the convention but not given a speaking slot of which there are many.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No. Because we keep this shit low and down in here, while others make threads for every positive thing about Sanders and every negative thing about HIllary and Obama.

The nature of Sanders diehards are that they are extremely loud when trumpeting the virtues of their idol, while everyone else just focuses on working hard.

lol

Wilsongt

The Log Cabin Republicans (LCR) aren’t leaving room for doubt. Though the group didn’t endorse Trump in the election, it regularly advocated for his election. And now, 100 days in, they’re as enamored as ever.

Speaking to the Washington Blade, LCR president Gregory T. Angelo shrugged off the so-called “non-troversies” about anti-LGBT actions the Trump administration has taken, calling them “fundraising ploys to rile up dejected LGBT liberals still reeling from Hillary Clinton’s loss.”

When asked to grade Trump’s first 100 days, Angelo gave Trump an A-. All of the other LGBT organizations the Blade spoke to gave him an F.

CREDIT: The Washington Blade
In a New York Times op-ed Thursday, Angelo also insisted, “Trump isn’t anti-LGBT.” His brief explanation why includes a fairly short list of things Trump either hasn’t changed from the status quo or hasn’t done yet.
Angelo’s comments to the Blade and Times this week follow his recent profile on WNYC’s new queer-themed podcast Nancy. In those interviews, he boasts that LCR has the ear of the Trump administration and stands to be a bigger influence than the other LGBT groups that don’t want to work with the administration at all.

When BuzzFeed’s Dominic Holden called Angelo to ask about whether LCR had expressed concern when the Trump administration rescinded the federal guidance protecting transgender students, all Angelo could offer was, “We’ve certainly expressed our opposition to it.” He claimed “there wasn’t sufficient time that we had to push back on this that would’ve been effective,” even though Vice President Mike Pence promised the guidance would go away way back in October — before the election even took place. “We have communicated with the administration and let them know that we are disappointed in this decision to rescind the guidance. I don’t know what else we can do at this point.”

Rich white gays were a mistake. They are nothing but trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom