• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we talked about this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/20committee/status/858048587162374144

EDIT: Looks like it's from this Guardian article. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ce-uk-government-m16-kremlin?CMP=share_btn_tw

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If they have proof they were paid by Trump, that will be the biggest news of this whole thing so far.

W/ the Dems help cause the GOP couldn't do it alone.
The Republican party is nothing more than a collection of political nihilists who don't believe in governing aside from funnelling wealth to their donors. It's the only thing they can get themselves to do.

It's pathetic. Noam Chomsky was right calling tgem the biggest tgreat to stability in the world.

broz0rs

Interesting New Yorker piece about why the recent AHCA failed to come to a vote this week from the perspective of a moderate Republican, Rep. Charlie Dent of Pennsylvania.

WHY TRUMPCARE KEEPS FAILING

Essentially, this version catered towards the Freedom Caucus and the hard right, which ended up losing a lot of support from moderate Republicans. Interestingly enough, the primary author of the bill is a moderate pub, the co-chair of the Tuesday group, Tom MacArthur.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Interestingly enough, the primary author of the bill is a moderate pub, the co-chair of the Tuesday group, Tom MacArthur.

No, that's not interesting at all, because there's no such thing as a "moderate" Republican.

The December memo with these allegations was part of the dossier Buzzfeed released.

The news is that Steele also informed UK intelligence services which isn't super interesting imho.

The accusation that the Trump Org payed the hackers themselves was in the Buzzfeed release? I don't remember that.

tuxfool

Banned
Essentially, this version catered towards the Freedom Caucus and the hard right, which ended up losing a lot of support from moderate Republicans. Interestingly enough, the primary author of the bill is a moderate pub, the co-chair of the Tuesday group, Tom MacArthur.

I think the basis of their arguments towards moderates was "just vote for it, so then we move onto other things".

chadskin

The accusation that the Trump Org payed the hackers themselves was in the Buzzfeed release? I don't remember that.

Yeah, in the December 13 memo:

"Anti-CLINTON hackers and other operatives paid by both TRUMP team and Kremlin, but with ultimate loyalty to Head of PA, IVANOV and his successor/s"

Ivanov was Putin's Chief of Staff until August 2016.

KingK

It's endlessly interesting white gay rights groups often have the same exact issues white feminism does.

I was about to make a comment about my friend's ex-girlfriend's super feminist cousin and her gay roommate who both went on some anti-welfare, which quickly turned racist, rants at a party once.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

I know this is sorta sarcastic, but i'd say the chances are greater.
2018 looming combined with the polling data so far is going to freak out quite a few moderate republicans.

Anything major passed is going to be through reconciliation.

I know this is sorta sarcastic, but i'd say the chances are greater.
2018 looming combined with the polling data so far is going to freak out quite a few moderate republicans.

Anything major passed is going to be through reconciliation.

Hasn't the window for reconciliation this year passed?

Wilsongt

(CNN) Former President Barack Obama hailed the political resilience of his signature health care law at a private event Thursday, pointing out that Obamacare is now more popular than his successor trying to repeal it: President Donald Trump.

Snap

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hasn't the window for reconciliation this year passed?

I still don't know the exact deadline, but the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005 was passed 05/17/2006 affecting FY2006's budget.

I'd guess we still have maybe a month left?

There is no deadline for reconciliation and I don't know how this meme got started.

probably from here.

The GOP strategy on quickly repealing the Affordable Care Act and enacting tax reform that seemed to be so creative and smart when it was first revealed right after the election may soon become the prime source of legislative hell for House and Senate Republicans. Knowing that a Senate filibuster was virtually certain on ACA repeal and highly probable on tax reform, the GOP plan was to use the reconciliation process -- which prevents filibusters -- to pass them both.

To do that, for the first time in the 43-year history of the congressional budget process, Congress would pass 2 budget resolutions -- the first for fiscal 2017; the second for 2018 -- in the same year. The FY17 budget resolution, which would be adopted in January, would include reconciliation instructions that would lead to the end of Obamacare. The FY18 budget resolution, which would be adopted in May or June, would include instructions that would result in a GOP tax reform package being enacted.

This seemed very doable immediately after the election given the Republican political euphoria. With a GOP-controlled House and Senate and Donald Trump in the White House, passing 2 budget resolutions and two reconciliation bills appeared to be not just possible, but inevitable. And Congress did indeed adopt a 2017 budget resolution in January.

But adopting the 2017 budget resolution has been the only part of the GOP's grand scheme that has come together on schedule. What's yet to occur may bring the whole plan to a screeching halt and make it impossible for ACA repeal and tax reform to happen quickly. The worst case scenario is that the once slam-dunk GOP grand scheme will end up preventing both ACA repeal and tax reform from happening at all.

Follow the bouncing legislative ball.

The January 27 date the budget resolution gave the committees with jurisdiction over Obamacare to report repeal legislation has come and gone with none of the committees reporting anything. More important, because of the deep divisions among and between House and Senate Republicans and the White House on whether to repeal and replace at the same time and what the repealed health plan should be replaced with, it seems increasingly likely that this first reconciliation isn't going to happen any time soon.

In one sense that's not a problem: there's no penalty if Congress misses a reconciliation deadline set in a budget resolution. No matter what the budget resolution says, it has almost unlimited time to comply with the instructions.

The key is "almost." The repeal instructions and the no-filibuster protections from the FY17 budget resolution will only remain in effect until the FY18 budget resolution is adopted.

This is where the grand scheme becomes a huge (or should that be yuge?) problem for the GOP. Congress normally would have a year before it considered the next budget resolution. But, because the scheme calls for the FY18 budget resolution to be considered in about 3 months, Congress has a real problem. If the FY17 reconciliation isn't adopted soon, Republicans might not be able to use reconciliation and would face a certain-to-succeed Democratic filibuster on ACA repeal.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stanco...-tax-reform-quickly-going-south/#2dc65b25a41a

yes yes, forbes contributors and all that- but this seems like a fairly concise explanation as to why there IS indeed a deadline.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Makes sense. So according to that forbes article:

The no-filibuster reconciliation deadline for FY17's budget is the adoption of the FY18 resolution, which is typically May or June.

Delaying the FY18 resolution would make it very difficult to finish the budget before the October shutdown deadline.

And because it's only 1 reconciliation per budget, moving ACA repeal into FY18 means either no tax reconciliation until after midterms or combining them both into one huge mega bill.

Makes sense. So according to that forbes article:

The no-filibuster reconciliation deadline for FY17's budget is the adoption of the FY18 resolution, which is typically May or June.

Delaying the FY18 resolution would make it very difficult to finish the budget before the October shutdown deadline.

And because it's only 1 reconciliation per budget, moving ACA repeal into FY18 means either no tax reconciliation until after midterms or combining them both into one huge mega bill.

bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom